Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garland: Firewheel Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLandscape
    I feel like the large area that appears to be reserved for pad sites and the parking lots really defeat the purpose of the whole thing.
    Ya think

Mile-High Skyscraper Member rantanamo's Avatar
    I'm just asking what purpose is being defeated? Its no different than any other mall except for the lack of roof and of course outdoor landscaping. The purpose is to get people to drive there and park, walk around the mall corridors and drive closer to the pad sites. Of course, just looking at it from street level would give a very urban looking feel, though artificial. This is why I think a mall downtown would really add great foot traffic. Of course, I'd like 8-10 stories of office and residential on top of one downtown, and no surface lots. Looking at the site, the 10-mile radius of this mall is considered great at 330,000? This begs the question, why wouldn't a downtown mall work considering there is over 1 million in that same space from downtown?

All Purpose Moderator warlock55's Avatar
    Well. This is...interesting.

It's basically a mall trying to masquerade as an old tyme town center. Fake rip-offs like this are bad for the new urbanism movement because they deliberately try to create ambiguity between real new urbanism developments, which are mixed use and pedestrian oriented, by throwing together something that kind of looks like it, but certainly doesn't work like it.

On the plus side it could potentially be salvaged in the future by replacing the parking lots with buildings and parking garages, and converting offices to apartments. I don't know though...it looks like there wouldn't be any place for people to walk to outside of it, which means they'd need a complete neighborhood there, and the orientation doesn't look great for that either. The main common area is way off to one edge.

I'd say just forget about it and either make a real modern crappy enclosed mall, or a real mixed use neighborhood. I can't imagine people are going to think the current design is anything brilliant in ten years.
    Consumers are not [the same as] citizens, and when a system pretends that they are, peculiar and even perverse things happen to decision making and democracy... - Benjamin Barber

I actually like layout. Very expansion minded, considering this is phase I. Pad sites are not the green areas on the aerial. Those are future parking areas. Only areas that are parking lots in phase I are considered as pad sites meaning future expansions would go into the street grid of the mall. I imagine the commons faces the way it does because its the only direction away from Hwy 78 and 190.

Now if we could plop this into downtown, of course with much more office and some residential on top with parking garages only if any parking.

Cencor turns dirt on Garland retail center
    106,000 s.f. project is expected to open in time for the holidays
    Sandra Zaragoza
    Staff Writer
    http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/st...09/story7.html

When Dallas-based Cencor Realty Services decided to build Firewheel Market, it matched itself up against Simon Property Group, the 800-pound gorilla of mall developers.

Cencor Realty recently broke ground on Firewheel Market, a 106,000-square-foot shopping center in three buildings at the corner of President George Bush Turnpike and State Highway 78 in Garland, across from Simon's Firewheel Town Center.

Plans call for an October opening for Firewheel Market to coincide with the holiday season and the opening of Firewheel Town Center.

Indianapolis, Ind.-based Simon -- the largest mall developer in the country -- is developing almost 1 million square feet of retail space at Firewheel Town Center and 75,000 square feet of office space. Firewheel Town Center, which is set to open Oct. 7, will be Texas' first example of a hot retail development trend, outdoor malls.

Beyond its name, Firewheel Market will owe its "Main Street" design and townscape rooflines to its neighbor across the street.

"We worked closely with the city and (Simon) to make sure the designs complemented each other," said Marshall Mills, president and chief operating officer of The Weitzman Group and its affiliate, Cencor Realty Services.

"The cost (for the project) is more than your average shopping center," Mills said. He did not disclose the project's cost but said that this will be the center's only phase.

Like other peripheral retail that pops up around malls, Cencor believes aligning itself with the Firewheel Town Center will have its advantages.

"It's a big advantage," said Scott Rose, a Weitzman vice president who's working to lease the project.

"We feel (Firewheel Town Center) is going to change the shopping patterns of Garland as George Bush (Turnpike) continues to break through," Rose said. An extension of the roadway is currently under construction.

Simon's Firewheel expects to draw from a regional area, including the neighboring cities of Rockwall, Rowlett, Murphy and Wylie. It also plans to capture its share of the shoppers from Collin Creek Mall in Plano and Town East Mall in Mesquite.

And Cencor expects that its prime location -- fronting S.H. 78 and across from Firewheel Town Center's Dillard's department store -- will allow the shopping center to benefit from the shopper overflow, said Earl Harris, another Weitzman vice president who's working to lease the center.

"There has been a lot of retailer interest in the Garland market and interest in our shopping center," Harris said.
    Neighborly competition

So far, Cencor's Firewheel Market is about 40% to 50% pre-leased, while Simon's Firewheel Town Center is about 85% pre-leased.

Though the advantage of the Garland site is clear, competition is creating a natural tension between the developers as they strive to attract tenants.

"We are a very strong, well-known Texas player, but we are going up against a giant mall developer," Rose said. "In some instances, we are going after some of the same tenants.

"It's been a challenge, but it's been interesting," he said.

"We've had several tenants looking at Simon," Rose added. "There is a bit of back and forth. But a tenant may fit in a mall property the same way another tenant may want to be in our center."

Simon's Firewheel Town Center is anchored by Dillard's, Foley's and AMC Theaters. It will also house Barnes & Noble, Circuit City, Linens 'n Things, Old Navy, Pier One and Designer Shoe Warehouse.

Cencor's project has pre-leased national tenants Chase Bank, Pei Wei, Mattress Giant, Starbucks and Potbelly Sandwiches, Rose said.

szaragoza@bizjournals.com
    Last edited by noelamador; 09 May 2005 at 02:22 AM.

I finally saw this site again. I am simply shocked and amazed at how much is going on around the eastern and northern side of that interchange. Looks like that section of PGBT will be lined with storefronts all around almost like Stonebriar is. I guess I didn't expect more peripheral retail to become reality because there are already a ton of big boxes right around the site. Of course this is not a lot of retail compared to a Plano or north Dallas, but for Garland, this is a ton. More than has been built in a long long time.

The mall itself looks great in that faux Southlake Towncenter kind of way. I really like the colors. Noticed that Dillard's is the first building with its sign up.

Supertall Skyscraper Member
    Are there any recent photos?

Skyscraper Member LakeHighlands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelley USA
    Are there any recent photos?
    Two of Dillard's
    Last edited by LakeHighlands; 31 May 2005 at 03:42 PM.
    "One of Dallas' strongest communities, Lake Highlands boasts a true sense of neighborhood spirit. Local stores reflect passionate support for Lake Highlands schools with school posters and signs. True to its name, the area features handsome traditional homes up and down rolling hills and charming, winding roads." --Lake Highlands People

Supertall Skyscraper Member
    Actually looks pretty nice!

Aerial of Firewheel with Anchors and site map with stores

"One of Dallas' strongest communities, Lake Highlands boasts a true sense of neighborhood spirit. Local stores reflect passionate support for Lake Highlands schools with school posters and signs. True to its name, the area features handsome traditional homes up and down rolling hills and charming, winding roads." --Lake Highlands People

Update
    Here are some photos. (20) I’ll post the rest later. I have a lot more. I'll also put text in later.

Last edited by LakeHighlands; 07 July 2005 at 12:12 AM.

Is it my imagination or has the construction across 190 halted?

Say goodbye to Richardson Square Mall...

Here are the rest. It reminds me of a ghost town.

Mid-Rise Member
    Development and redevelopment in Garland has become an interest of mine over the past few years. I've noticed a problem with the pattern developing. What's the list? Let's start with Firewheel Mall. It isn't the center of any town, but that's just a pet peeve of mine, I suppose I'll just have to get over it. In this discussion one person brought up Town East Mall. Did you know Town East was originally proposed to be in Garland? Poor decision making (or perhaps just greed) led the City leaders of that day to say no to that development.

Bass Pro by Harvest Partners, the Eastgate redevelopment, the prospects for TOD and DCCC and lofts in downtown Garland, and this Firewheel Mall all share one problem: They are all, in effect, on the periphery of Garland. Even the DCCC campus and other improvements in downtown fit this list because of DART rail. In each case people will go to their destination, shop and/or spend their money, and go on their way home. All without stopping in Garland proper.

Who could blame them? Empty shopping centers, dollar stores, used car lots, thrift stores, tire stores, and residential properties that are not appreciating as quickly as similar properties in surrounding towns.

I'll say it here as well (I've already been talking with people on the city council and others). All the new development in Garland is a good thing for Garland. My fear is the current powers that be will consider this development a stopping point as opposed to a good beginning. Garland is in danger of becoming an Economic Doughnut-all the retail development on the edges (remember downtown and DART) and nothing in the middle.

Mid-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeHighlands
    Here are the rest. It reminds me of a ghost town.
    Or, if you've ever been on one, the lot of most any movie studio. (Warner Bros. Universal, etc.)

The look is very similar.

Supertall Skyscraper Member texman's Avatar
    You have a point jd. I swear, all these 'town centers' look like the movie set of Back to the Future's "Hill Valley."
    Also, is the Rail ROW along the mall DART's future line to Rowlett?
    "And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed."-"Farewell to Penn Station," New York Times Editorial, October 30, 1963

Mid-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texman
    You have a point jd. I swear, all these 'town centers' look like the movie set of Back to the Future's "Hill Valley."
    Also, is the Rail ROW along the mall DART's future line to Rowlett?
    It has been my understanding that the line that will go to Rowlett is the line that currently ends on Walnut at Fifth Street. They are going to have to relocate that station a few hundreds of feet back along the line to avoid having to build an overly elaborate, sweeping bridge in order to avoid the existing freight rail line. But that also frees up the parcel of land that station currently occupies for additional redevelopment as it is aptly located for some important future use (I've forgotten which one...I didn't take notes at the event where I first learned of this and now I suppose I should have!:~)

is gone.
    Looks half decent. Are those second floors of any use?

^office.

As a person that grew up in Garland and has lived there off and on as a result I see lots of problems in Garland that make me want to get a planning degree and take some stuff over. With Garland's high use of transit, large number of jobs, great location and good freeway access there is no reason it can't be as nice as the rest of the metroplex. There had to be some serious anti-business folks running the place or just some ego-maniacs who were living in the 50s and didn't want to give up power. Its unacceptable. With downtown Garland's location on the rail and that great setup, it should be bustling with people living, working and playing. How does one get a developer down there?

oh yeah, and DART owns that ROW that runs up along 78. On one of their 2030 plan maps, they have it as a possible commuter line.

Ironically(very ironically), if someone stands in the middle of this thing after it opens and takes pics, it will look like the busiest town/city/urban area in the metroplex. This is my vision for Rantanamall. Except Rantanamall would be twice as tall, have some residential and hotel on top and be built around Pearl Station. Do people not shop in the inner-city? I used to.
    Last edited by rantanamo; 08 July 2005 at 05:27 AM.

Mid-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rantanamo
    With Garland's high use of transit, large number of jobs, great location and good freeway access there is no reason it can't be as nice as the rest of the metroplex. There had to be some serious anti-business folks running the place or just some ego-maniacs who were living in the 50s and didn't want to give up power. Its unacceptable.
    They weren't evil or anti-business. They were pro-their-own-business-interests. Back in the fifties and sixties the City leaders were making decisions for Garland based on their own business interests instead of making those decisions based on what would be best for Garland in the long run. Sounds kind of like the current problems in Dallas, no?

What were some of those conflicts of interest? The Town East Mall development previously mentioned, and to go right along with that, the route of 635. Ever wonder why Mesquite has so many exits and Garland only has three or four (depending on how you count them)?

With downtown Garland's location on the rail and that great setup, it should be bustling with people living, working and playing. How does one get a developer down there?
    Quite frankly, I'm not a big believer in mass transit for this area. It will probably be quite significant in the future, so it is good that we have it developing now, but people are addicted to their cars and their freedom of movement. The rail will help downtown Garland, but what about the rest of Garland?

Still, people living, working, and playing (ever see the Square Pickers in full swing?) in downtown Garland is good for Garland, but how does it help the rest of the town? Drive past Garland Shopping Center, or Ridgewood, or the Broadway and Centerville area for a look at underutilized or just plain empty shopping centers. A use has to be found for these parcels of land as well.

I recently wrote the Chamber of Commerce about this issue. Among the other points made, the fellow who wrote back said five shopping centers are being analyzed by a professional consulting firm for redevelopment, but he didn't specify which five. He spent a large amount of verbiage on grocery store anchors and how no grocers are expanding right now (blames Wal-Mart and Target for this, he does), but he does not expand that thought to include the possibility of non-grocery store anchors (ever go to Borders on Preston at Royal?) And to go along with that says grocery stores can't compete with Wal-Mart on price (then compete on some other level. I don't go to Wal-Mart, so the grocery stores compete well from my point of view.) He goes on to state that changing demographics are part of the reason why no businesses of this type are willing to enter into the vast majority of Garland's territory (then improve the areas with better police and code enforcement is my response to this point.) And he ends with the statement that perhaps some of those shopping centers should be torn down and new uses found for the land...to which I say let the demolition begin.

Developers are only part of the equation when building something new. The developer is just realizing the potential the municipality has created. Garland isn't creating much in the way of real estate possibilities as of late. The empty shopping centers across Garland are a symptom. What exactly is the disease?
    Last edited by jdwillis; 08 July 2005 at 10:00 AM.

^ Thanks LakeHighlands for the pictures. This project certainly looks nice.
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

Supertall Skyscraper Member psukhu's Avatar
    ^office.

There had to be some serious anti-business folks running the place or just some ego-maniacs who were living in the 50s and didn't want to give up power. Its unacceptable. With downtown Garland's location on the rail and that great setup, it should be bustling with people living, working and playing. How does one get a developer down there?
    It seems like some of those people are still running things. Garland has the great location, mass transit, highway access, proximity to Richardson, yet cities further out seem to be more successful.

I used to live in one of the newer parts of northern Garland. I couldn't get high speed internet where I lived. I spoke to my Garland city counsel person and asked them when it was coming. I explained to him that my wife and I were professionals and we needed high speed internet to be able to work from home. He didn't really seem to care about this issue. He said it wasn’t a priority for the city. I told them other professionals wouldn't move if high speed internet access wasn’t available. He was clueless about what was going on in other DFW ‘burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jdwillis
    They weren't evil or anti-business. They were pro-their-own-business-interests. Back in the fifties and sixties the City leaders were making decisions for Garland based on their own business interests instead of making those decisions based on what would be best for Garland in the long run. Sounds kind of like the current problems in Dallas, no?

What were some of those conflicts of interest? The Town East Mall development previously mentioned, and to go right along with that, the route of 635. Ever wonder why Mesquite has so many exits and Garland only has three or four (depending on how you count them)?

Quite frankly, I'm not a big believer in mass transit for this area. It will probably be quite significant in the future, so it is good that we have it developing now, but people are addicted to their cars and their freedom of movement. The rail will help downtown Garland, but what about the rest of Garland?
    Not a believer? You have ridden the bus or train in Garland, right? The only places where I've seen buses more full on a regular basis are maybe downtown routes from the West Transit Center. Buses are definitely vital to intra city travel in Garland. Lots of school and work travel. Look at how full the transit center lots are as well. Whether it be the main bus or train routes. Garland definitely has great ridership. I'd bet Garland kills Plano in bus ridership, but probably not in trains because of a lack of white collar workers that commute all the way to downtown. We have to remember that Garland is a bedroom community first, and that's what the rail serves for now.

Still, people living, working, and playing (ever see the Square Pickers in full swing?) in downtown Garland is good for Garland, but how does it help the rest of the town? Drive past Garland Shopping Center, or Ridgewood, or the Broadway and Centerville area for a look at underutilized or just plain empty shopping centers. A use has to be found for these parcels of land as well.
    A strong, vibrant center radiates to all sides of a city. Especially those neighborhoods nearest to downtown, which are some of the areas considered most rundown by those that don't live in them. You begin to radiate strength in an organized way. Its even a source of pride to a community.Have you been to downtown Plano? Garland's downtown is very poor in comparison. I know its alright, but there is a ton of potential there. I remember the plan a couple of years back, to tear down the Gold's Gym business and expand the square. Where did that go? Was there a lot of fighting like across Walnut?

The Garland Shopping Center is exactly what I am talking about. Miller and Garland Rd. Repeat, Miller and Garland Rd. One of the busiest intersections in the Garland. Interesting that for my entire life, I have never seen that place renovated or even the parking lot spruced up. Look at what happened to Ridgewood when they refurbished that strip and CVS came in. The parking lots are all full right now. Centerville and Broadway is just as busy as Garland @ Miller. I recall a tenant wanting to take-over that center, but what happened? Wasn't the council acting a little funny in that situation to not want a large hispanic owned store to locate there!!!!!!!! So it continues to sit empty with the outline of SuperK sitting there.

If you want a lesson in not giving big box incentives and why the design should be more urban, just drive around Garland people.

I recently wrote the Chamber of Commerce about this issue. Among the other points made, the fellow who wrote back said five shopping centers are being analyzed by a professional consulting firm for redevelopment, but he didn't specify which five. He spent a large amount of verbiage on grocery store anchors and how no grocers are expanding right now (blames Wal-Mart and Target for this, he does), but he does not expand that thought to include the possibility of non-grocery store anchors (ever go to Borders on Preston at Royal?) And to go along with that says grocery stores can't compete with Wal-Mart on price (then compete on some other level. I don't go to Wal-Mart, so the grocery stores compete well from my point of view.) He goes on to state that changing demographics are part of the reason why no businesses of this type are willing to enter into the vast majority of Garland's territory (then improve the areas with better police and code enforcement is my response to this point.) And he ends with the statement that perhaps some of those shopping centers should be torn down and new uses found for the land...to which I say let the demolition begin.

Developers are only part of the equation when building something new. The developer is just realizing the potential the municipality has created. Garland isn't creating much in the way of real estate possibilities as of late. The empty shopping centers across Garland are a symptom. What exactly is the disease?
    The demographic argument gets old for me. People in Garland are not dirt poor. Most are working class people that actually buy food to eat for their families and shop. I see plenty of money spent on superfluous items. We shopped like anyone else I knew. At least enough to keep a grocery store in place. Its like those with the power to, want only luxury retailers or something. There are plenty of businesses out there to expand one's tax base. Stein Mart is not the only retail store out there. Garland Shopping Center should be torn down. Some kind of standard signage, lot maintenance decree or something should be laid down for Garland Rd as well. Is Garland afraid that businesses will leave if they ask them to just tidy up? There are friggin 225,000 car loving(a joke about the number of tire shops, used car lots and garages) people with money to spend. Retailers will not leave. Have some confidence in yourself Garland.

The disease in Garland is neglect. Always has been, always will be. I commend Mayor Day on a much better job. At least he is trying to get EastGate down and get something along LBJ. At least things are happening on the new home front in East Garland where tons of beautiful parcels have sat empty for years. The number of new subdivisions along Centerville is very welcome and surprising. Now, get me a shopping center at Hwy 66 and Country Club.

BTW, why so many churches in Garland?

to psukhu: I didn't know that. My mom still can't get DSL, but rather is stuck with Comcast prices. I do know Verizon is laying fiber at least, so that will be an accomplishment in itself.. Mayor Day is doing a much better job I think. I don't buy that its 190 either. Garland has had great freeway access for a long time and not much happened.

Mid-Rise Member
    The Garland Shopping Center is exactly what I am talking about. Miller and Garland Rd. Repeat, Miller and Garland Rd. One of the busiest intersections in the Garland. Interesting that for my entire life, I have never seen that place renovated or even the parking lot spruced up.
    Garland Shopping Center is now owned, so I've been told, by about 30 heirs. Herding cats would be easier than getting all those folks to agree on a business plan.

Look at what happened to Ridgewood when they refurbished that strip and CVS came in. The parking lots are all full right now.
    Only a portion of that intersection got any attention. I'm talking about the original portion of the Ridgewood Shopping Center-you know, the portion with the movie theater? I used to see first run movies there and get ice cream at the Baskin Robbins.

Centerville and Broadway is just as busy as Garland @ Miller. I recall a tenant wanting to take-over that center, but what happened? Wasn't the council acting a little funny in that situation to not want a large hispanic owned store to locate there!!!!!!!! So it continues to sit empty with the outline of SuperK sitting there.
    What they turned down deserved to be turned down. There is already Vikon Village in Garland, there's no need for another such "business" in this town.

If you want a lesson in not giving big box incentives and why the design should be more urban, just drive around Garland people.
    The problem isn't the design, the problem is something else. Similarly designed centers of similar ages are still thriving all over the place. I'm not all that in favor of big box stores, but that has more to do with the business model than any concerns about architecture.

The demographic argument gets old for me. People in Garland are not dirt poor. Most are working class people that actually buy food to eat for their families and shop. I see plenty of money spent on superfluous items. We shopped like anyone else I knew. At least enough to keep a grocery store in place.
    The demographics have changed and are still changing. There is no arguing that fact. Working class people don't make much money so they spend what they do have at places like Wal-Mart where they might save a few dollars and those very Wal-Marts keep other retailers from locating anywhere near them because they can offer lower prices-but oftentimes those prices are lower because the goods they sell are of lower quality, but let's not get into that discussion just yet.

Its like those with the power to, want only luxury retailers or something. There are plenty of businesses out there to expand one's tax base. Stein Mart is not the only retail store out there.
    But Garland's sales tax base has stagnated while the sales tax revenues of all the cities around Garland have climbed. Having a couple Wal-Marts and a Sam's and not having several other grocery stores or any higher end retailers across the vast majority of town means low sales tax revenues which means higher property taxes or electric and water rates, since that deficit must be made up somehow.

Garland Shopping Center should be torn down. Some kind of standard signage, lot maintenance decree or something should be laid down for Garland Rd as well. Is Garland afraid that businesses will leave if they ask them to just tidy up?
    You mean like this example from Hurst?
    http://www.ci.hurst.tx.us/Development/index.htm
    http://www.ci.hurst.tx.us/Publicatio...oningDraft.PDF

There are friggin 225,000 car loving(a joke about the number of tire shops, used car lots and garages) people with money to spend. Retailers will not leave. Have some confidence in yourself Garland.
    Again, it isn't about confidence. You can't talk to a municipality like you can talk with a person. This is about business. Businesses, at least retail business, aren't locating in the vast majority of Garland for significant reasons. It's that Economic Doughnut I talked about earlier. Working Class folks don't have enough disposable income to justify giving a shopping center like the one that used to be at Preston and Royal a face lift in Garland. Remember, that used to be an abandoned Safeway that sat empty for years before Borders moved in.

How do you encourage people with more disposable income to locate here? Hard to say. One way would be to enforce the existing Code regulations in all neighborhoods. Cleaner neighborhoods make for higher property values. Most of Garland's older neighborhoods look like exactly what they are, places where poor people live. Poor people who either will not or cannot clean up after themselves. You should see the number of beer bottles all over the place after every weekend-too many guy sitting around on their trucks with their music blaring drinking beer and tossing the bottles every which way. Just imagine how that makes the property values soar!:~)

BTW, why so many churches in Garland?
    Don't know. But you should have tracked the discussions I was having with many representatives of that bunch before the last election. That was illuminating!:~)

I drove by here Thursday. It didn't look like there was anyone out there working...anywhere! In fact, it was around 10:30 Thursday morning.

BTW, the whole place looks like Southlake's Town Square on steriods. Seriously, can you say rip off?
    By the power of greyskull!

ripoff of Southlake? Southlake's wasn't the first. They are all ripoffs of Highland Park's

ripoff of Southlake? Southlake's wasn't the first. They are all ripoffs of Highland Park's
    I guess you should have read my post more carefully. I said "the whole place looks like Southlake's Town Square on steroids". No mention of who's first and what's on second. I'm talking in terms of the architecture of the buildings. If I didn't know any better, I'd say we're looking at pictures from the construction of the original section of Southlake's Town Square.

If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, here are some pictures from the Southlake Town Square's web site:

Wow. I actually really like the way this mall looks.

I'm suprised that major retailers like Dillards didn't like take an entire block and put their separate departments in their own little boutique-style stores. If I ever own a major department chain, I think I'd try that out.

High-Rise Member
    The reason Firewheel Town Center looks so much like Southlake Town Square is that they were designed by the same architect, David Schwarz. Take a look at all of his work in the area, and all of the buildings are just variations on the same theme, especially the retail/office/residential buildings. Schwarz designed Southlake Town Square, Sundance Square, West Village, and Firewheel. Then, take a look at his other buildings and you will see more similarities. The American Airlines Center, Ameriquest Field in Arlington, the Bass Performance Hall, and Cook's Children's Hospital come to mind.
    http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com - Architecture in Downtown Fort Worth
    http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum - The Fort Worth Forum
    http://www.dallasarchitecture.info - Architecture in Downtown Dallas

He likes the "Back to the Future" small town look

And great idea Drummy. I have always thought Wal-Mart or Target should try that in a downtown setting.

Quote Originally Posted by John T Roberts
    The reason Firewheel Town Center looks so much like Southlake Town Square is that they were designed by the same architect, David Schwarz. Take a look at all of his work in the area, and all of the buildings are just variations on the same theme, especially the retail/office/residential buildings. Schwarz designed Southlake Town Square, Sundance Square, West Village, and Firewheel. Then, take a look at his other buildings and you will see more similarities. The American Airlines Center, Ameriquest Field in Arlington, the Bass Performance Hall, and Cook's Children's Hospital come to mind.
    And it all makes sense now. Thanks for the info. I knew he designed Ameriquest Field and the AAC, didn't know about the Bass Performance Hall.

Firewheel getting Residential

This is from the Planning Meeting on Mon th 25th RTKL is asking for variances for parking at their project at Firewheel Towncenter this project includes two five level structures of townhome like aprtments on the backside of the Mall near the public space. Apparently the city has no rules on Parking structures so the city planner board members are worried that the parking will not be enough for the amount residents. The project includes seperate townhomes. Wait theres more! along with ground level retail they said that mostly restarants will fill the space. The site plan is great sorry i can't capture it from the Television. The guy who owns the land also owns properties in Addison Circle and says he can not wait to get started. One of the board members asked if he was buying in downtown Garland but the the head board member stopped him from answering cause he cannot talk about things other than whats on the Agenda, but he grinned bigger than the day is long. I think its this property on the mall----->check map
    Last edited by cowboyeagle05; 26 July 2005 at 01:48 AM.

Yes the view is great if they would put some water in those retention ponds. I have to look through my photos but I think I have some of the trees and background taken from the site. The drop in elevation is also amazing. But they will be looking at a freeway soon.

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/sh...7&postcount=20

Supertall Skyscraper Member psukhu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeHighlands
    The drop in elevation is also amazing. But they will be looking at a freeway soon.
    I could be wrong, but I think the turnpike will be below grade in this area. (Just like it is near Josey Lane)

It is below grade.. They are already digging, and have put up some vertical retaining walls.

High-Rise Member F4shionablecHa0s's Avatar
    Why oh why couldn't Garland have gotten a DART station placed near this project?

because its kind of out of the way from the current plans. DART's future plans do in include a possible line right across the street though.

Garland: Shopping hot spot

Several projects are set

11:54 PM CDT on Thursday, August 11, 2005

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

The intersection of State Highway 190 and Lavon Drive in Garland is still under construction. But that hasn't slowed the steady march of retailers toward North Texas' next hot shopping destination.

LARA SOLT/DMN
    The Firewheel Town Center shopping complex is set to open in Garland in less than two months.

Kohl's, Home Depot and Lowe's are open for business at the busy corner. Less than two months from now, the huge Firewheel Town Center shopping complex across the street will welcome its first customers.

Add in the other retail projects under construction, and there will be almost 2.4 million square feet of shopping space near the crossroads.

LARA SOLT/DMN
    Crews work on pavement in the Firewheel retail district along State Highway 190 in Garland.

"It's a huge change for the city, and we are thrilled to have it going on," said Greg Sims, vice president of the Garland Economic Development Partnership. "For a city as old as we are, it's amazing to be having all this growth."

Garland still has a ways to go before catching up with Frisco and other regional shopping meccas, but the area at the eastern end of State Highway 190 is on many national retailers' radars.

That's mostly due to Firewheel Town Center, Simon Property Group Inc.'s 94-acre retail, office and residential complex.

The first phase of the regional shopping center opens Oct. 7 with major retailers that include Dillard's, Foley's, Circuit City, Barnes & Noble and Linens 'n Things. The center has almost 800,000 square feet of shopping space and 75,000 square feet of offices.

The big open-air retail complex is expected to employ 2,000 to 3,000 workers and draw tens of thousands of customers.

But first, the construction crews have to get out of the way.

"Every time I go out there I ask, 'Are we on schedule?' " said Rod Vosper, Simon's vice president of new development. "The answer is, 'Yes, we are.'

"This has been one of our smoothest projects."

Firewheel Town Center also will have a centerpiece park with elaborate landscaping, a fountain pool and flowing stream costing "well over $1 million," Mr. Vosper said.

An 18-screen AMC Theater is also scheduled to open in the project in December.

Mr. Vosper can't make any promises about when the Highway 190 construction in front of Firewheel will be finished. But, he says, the highway department plans to have the service roads in front of the shopping center done by opening day.

The leg of Highway 190 from Firewheel east to Interstate 30 is to be completed in 2009.

More to do

Construction of the shops around the big Firewheel retail center will continue into at least next year. The projects include:
    DAMEON RUNNELS/Staff Artist

•Firewheel Market, a 107,000-square-foot shopping center being built by Cencor Realty Services at the northeast corner of Lavon and Highway 190. Tenants going in the three-building complex include Pei Wei Asian Diner, Starbucks, Potbelly Sandwich Works, Ritz Camera and Chase Bank.

"Hopefully, they will open around the holidays or soon after," said Earl Harris, vice president of the Weitzman Group, which is leasing the project. "A lot of national tenants are flocking to this site.

"It's a very dynamic location and will pull shoppers all the way from East Texas, especially when SH 190 connects with I-30," he said.

•Firewheel Plaza, a 150,000-square-foot retail center on the south side of Highway 190 at Crist Road. Reata Real Estate Services will break ground early next year on the center.

"It will be a combination of both big box and smaller tenants," said Reata's Travis Barnes. "There's a lot of interest in that area."

Developers have already remodeled a former Wal-Mart location at Lavon Drive and Naaman School Road into Firewheel Village. Tenants there include Hobby Lobby and Big Lots.

Apartments planned

Simon Property Group is designing Phase 2 of Firewheel Town Center. Early next year, the developer plans to break ground on a 270-unit apartment complex with retail space on the ground floor.

"We like to call it an upscale urban community, similar to what one might find at Legacy Town Center in Plano," Mr. Vosper said.

Garland officials are understandably eager to see the building boom continue.

Just what's under construction now will amount to about a 50 percent increase in the city's retail base, Mr. Sims said.

"What they are building at Firewheel Town Center is only Phase 1," he said. "We've estimated you can do probably another million square feet."
    E-mail stevebrown@dallasnews.com

I'm wondering about 190 also. Traffic has really gotten crazy up there since they started working on it. Can't believe the speed with which they are building the NE Parkway overpass and digging out the new 190.

Garland Firewheel Opening

By the way opening day for the mall is October 7th! Can't wait I live in South Garland on East Centerville close to Northeast Prkwy its actually easier to get to Firewheel Mall than it is to get to Towneast Mall and its closer distance wise! Even with all the construction!! Goodbye Towneast Mall for me and goodriddens!! I like open air concepts better that indoor malls!! I am very TOD!! I can't wait till Downtown Garland is finished!
    Last edited by cowboyeagle05; 14 August 2005 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Wrong Date for opening day

Neal McCoy to headline Firewheel Town Center (08/12/05)

Grand Opening will Feature Celebrities and Special Events October 7-9

WHAT: Firewheel Town Center will open its doors to much fanfare and excitement to celebrate its grand opening. Numerous special events and entertainment for all ages have been planned throughout the day, including a free concert by country music icon Neal McCoy.

WHO: Texas’ pride, Neal McCoy, and two-time "Entertainer of the Year" (TNN/Music City News) with three platinum albums and one gold album on his wall, is also now head of 903 Music, will perform for the public to commemorate the opening of Firewheel Town Center.

WHEN: Friday, October 7 10 a.m. Doors open 7:30 p.m. Free Neal McCoy concert

WHERE: Firewheel Town Center State Highway 190 (President George Bush Turnpike) and State Highway 78 in North Garland

ABOUT: With a pedestrian-friendly intimacy, Firewheel Town Center will be an open-air, Main Street-styled town center. The project will be punctuated by 750,000 square feet of retail/entertainment uses.

Public spaces, parks and vibrant second level office space will serve as a backdrop for the architecturally distinct center housing some of the nation’s premier specialty retailers and restaurants including anchors such as Dillard’s, Foley’s, Barnes & Noble, Circuit City, Linens n’ Things, Old Navy, Pier One, DSW.

The project also features a large, well-landscaped stream.

MORE INFO: Visit www.simon.com.

another Garland ONLINE article

^ good stuff
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

They will get a lot of east Plano & Murphy people at this mall as well. It's closer than Willow bend for most

High-Rise Member F4shionablecHa0s's Avatar
    Wow. Is that what passes for a celebrity here in Garland?

Guys I found this just searchin BECKS website and although it gives no new info on the Mall it does have a aerial plan of the park in the Mall.

Firewheel Case Study PDF

The countdown has begun - The Mall is ready to open

The countdown has begun - The Mall is ready to open (10/03/05)

The time is right, the countdown has begun.

Firewheel Town Center will open to much fanfare, with the grand opening scheduled for Friday, October 7, 2005.

Foley’s and Dillards are now open for business. Other stores are stocking shelves with merchandise, shining windows and polishing furniture in anticipation of the crowds that are sure to come.

The streets are being sprayed with water to keep them clean and to cut down on the dust as the Construction workers continue with the AMC Movie Theatre that is scheduled to open later this fall.

The park area is complete. The water fountain is running and the flowers have been put in place.

The Official Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will take place on Friday, October 7, 2005 9:30 a.m. – 10 a.m. on the Main stage. The fanfare of festivities will include a presentation of colors by the Garland Fire Department Color Guard and a musical performance by the University of Texas Longhorn singers.

Stay tuned to this website for updates as the week progresses.

Town Center Grand Opening Countdown

Town Center Grand Opening Countdown (10/04/05)

(Dillards grand opening will take place at 9:45 Wednesday)

Firewheel Town Center Grand Opening

The countdown continues:

Firewheel Town Center is getting its last touches of paint, the last few nails are being put in place and the merchandise is making its way into the stores. There are hundreds of employees attacking every venue in the center, and are making it happen in a timely manner.

Dillards is scheduled to have their “ribbon cutting” on Wednesday morning. Councilman Michael Holden will assist with the ribbon cutting honors. “I am thrilled. I will be at every ribbon cutting that I hear about. In fact I am going to all of them,” said Mr. Holden.

Some of the stores have all of their merchandise on the shelves and on the racks. Monday afternoon saw about 15 employees working at Clare’s to make sure all of their merchandise was unloaded from the trucks and taken inside the store to be ready for the grand opening on Friday. Much work had to be done, but a lot of people were there to help.

Friday’s schedule of events reads like a who’s who of the entertainment world. The headliner is Country Music Legend Neal McCoy.

The Town Center has put together some nice prize packages, with the ultimate prize being a car from Prestige Ford.

Linens n’ Things and Circuit City are ready, as well as; Dillard’s, Foleys, Build a Bear, James Avery, Zales Jewelry, Nine West, Outfitters, Old Navy and many more.

(A must for every child will be the playground, complete with a red train)

The Countdown Continues: Firewheel Town Center Grand Opening

As we continue our countdown towards the grand opening of

Fire Wheel Town Center, we thought it would be helpful for our readers to see a list of retailers.

Department Stores

Dillard’s

Foleys

Junior Anchors

Barnes and Nobles

Circuit City

DSW

Linens ‘n Things

Old Navy

Pier 1 Imports

Accessories

Claire’s

Hot Topic

Lids

Cards, Books, Gifts, Stationery

Barnes & Noble

Build-A-Bear Workshop

Paperie & Co.

Papyrus

Street Corner News*

Yankee Candle

Children’s Fashions

Celebrity Kids

Club Libby Lu

Gymboree

Limited Too

Food Specialty

Candy World

Cold Stone Creamery

Nestle Toll House Café’ by Chip

Smoothies Paradise Yogurt

Starbucks Coffee Company*

Health & Beauty

Bath & Body Works

Bath Junkie

Beauty Nails

Bioderm Skincare*

Firewheel Day Spa & Salon

General Nutrition Centers

Merle Norman Cosmetics

Perfumania

Regis Salon

Toni & Guy

Trade Secret

Home

Bombay Company

Brookstone

Linens ’n Things

LoveSac

Pier 1 Imports

Select Comfort

Sharper Image

Jewelry

James Avery Craftsman

Kay Jewelers

Nasr Jewelers

Sam’s Fine Jewelry

Zales Jewelry

Mens & Womens Fashions

Aeropostale

American Eagle Outfitters

Eddie Bauer

Fossil

Old Navy

Mens Fashions

Al’s Formal Wear

Jos. A. Bank Clothiers

Music/Electronics/Video

Circuit City

GameStop.com

Wireless in Style

Optical

Eyemasters

Lenscrafters

Sunglass Designs

Restaurants/Entertainment

AMC Theatres*

Charley’s Grilled Subs*

Cocina Caliente Mexican Restaurant*

Fish City Grill*

Rice Boxx Asian Café

San Francisco Oven*

Tacone*

T.G.I. Friday’s*

Shoes

Aldo

Clarks

DSW

Foot Locker

Journeys

Nine West

Payless Shoe Source

Stride Rite Shoes

The Finish Line

Sporting Goods

Champs Sports*

Dallas Cowboys Pro Shop

Womens Fashions

Ann Taylor Loft

Brighton Collectibles

Cache

Cacique

Charlotte Russe

Chico’s

Christopher & Banks

Coldwater Creek

dELIA*s*

Elisabeth

Express

J.Jill

Lane Bryant

New York & Company

PacSun

Papaya

Talbots

Victoria’s Secret

White House/Black Market

*coming soon

Remember: Grand Opening "Special Events" Are Scheduled for:

Friday, Saturday and Sunday
    Last edited by cowboyeagle05; 05 October 2005 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Subtitles need bold

Thread Information