Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion of a Strong Mayor

High-Rise Member F4shionablecHa0s's Avatar
    Some people take these municipal politics way too seriously.

I mean, come on. They make it sound like if the mayor has too much power she'll declare war on San Antonio or something.

5 donors drive strong mayor
    Each has given $10,000 or more to effort, says lawyer in council race

10:00 PM CST on Monday, December 27, 2004

By EMILY RAMSHAW / The Dallas Morning News

Five major donors are funding Dallas lawyer Beth Ann Blackwood's $180,000 campaign to strengthen mayoral power – including a Texas oilman, a retired newspaper editor, a billionaire and two real estate developers.

In an interview Monday, Ms. Blackwood said former Dallas Times Herald managing editor Will Jarrett, real estate executive Vance Miller and Dallas financier Harold Simmons each have contributed $36,000 to the campaign. Ray Wallace, retired chief executive of Trinity Industries Inc., donated $26,000. And developer Albert Huddleston added $10,000 to fund the petition drive. The strong-mayor referendum will appear on the May ballot.

"The deterioration of performance at City Hall is astonishing," said Mr. Jarrett, who has lived in Dallas for all but three of the last 30 years. "Who is in charge? No one. A city this size needs strength."

But strong-mayor supporters may have more opposition than they bargained for. All but three Dallas City Council members have said they will fight to ensure the proposition is defeated. And resident groups from deep South Dallas to Far North Dallas are mobilizing, creating anti-strong-mayor Web sites and starting neighborhood campaigns to get out the vote.

On his Web site www.strongarmmayor.com, neighborhood activist Avi Adelman calls on Dallas residents to spearhead a grass-roots opposition effort and to donate time and money to spread the message to city voters "neighbor by neighbor, block by block."

Under a traditional strong-mayor system, the mayor is the chief executive – the individual who crafts the budget, hires and fires department heads and puts policy in motion. City employees are accountable to the mayor.

Under the council-manager system, the city manager is responsible for day-to-day activities and is a buffer between elected officials and professional supervisors. Dallas, Phoenix and San Antonio are the only U.S. cities with more than 1 million people that use the council-manager form of government.

Ms. Blackwood said the idea for a strong-mayor form of government came to her and her husband, lawyer Tom Thomas, last spring as she was planning her run for City Council.

"We were looking at ways to make Dallas better, and we concluded that the form of government really doesn't work," she said.

The couple spent $30,000 on a citywide poll, and by the end of the summer, had the results they were anticipating. The majority of respondents favored strengthening the mayor's power. And the supporters felt much stronger in their beliefs than the opponents, she said.

It was obvious the City Council wasn't going to consider strengthening the mayor's power, Ms. Blackwood said. So she and Mr. Thomas began poring over election books, trying to determine what it would take to get a referendum before voters.

"We figured out we needed 20,000 signatures, and it seemed doable," she said.

Ms. Blackwood said at first, she and Mr. Thomas were planning on conducting the petition drive themselves. But when they realized how big a job it was, they hired National Voter Outreach, a professional firm.

This step raised the campaign's price tag and set the fund-raising wheels in motion. Mr. Thomas focused his efforts on a few key players – individuals with strong views on governance and thick wallets.

The list of potential donors narrowed when they learned their names would be disclosed through the public process, Mr. Thomas said. Campaign finance reports must be filed in mid-January.

While some of the donors live in the Park Cities, they all own land and pay taxes in Dallas, he said.

The strong-mayor effort started under the public relations direction of consultant Rob Allyn, who ran the initial telephone poll. Currently, Ms. Blackwood and her supporters are being advised by the Fort Worth-based Eppstein Group.

So far, the strong-mayor campaign has cost twice what Ms. Blackwood and her husband anticipated. The petitioning alone cost $75,000, and the polling, legal work, consulting and printing has brought the current total to $180,000.

"We certainly blew our budget," Mr. Thomas said.

And the fundraising isn't over. Ms. Blackwood and her husband are currently taking pledges for the remainder of the strong-mayor campaign – which Ms. Blackwood says is separate from her own City Council campaign.

"The city is desperate for a change of government," she said. "Right now, strong mayor is more important to me than my council race."

E-mail eramshaw@dallasnews.com

^ So much for this being a "grassroots" effort.
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something. - Plato

High-Rise Member columbiasooner's Avatar
    Over 30,000 signatures in 38 days qualifies as grassroots in my book.

You have to be poor to qualify for grassroots status.
    Dallas uber alles

I'm poor and I signed the petition.

You have access to a computer. You can't be that poor.
    Dallas uber alles

Dallas public Library computers are free.

Just a hunch, but I doubt you're in the library.
    Dallas uber alles

The smartest gal in town! trolleygirl's Avatar
    You don't have to be poor, but picking up the phone and calling five of your wealthiest friends to bankroll a PR firm which hires professional petitioners for a sum of $180,000 isn't exactly "grassroots".

What Avi is doing is grassroots. I've been involved in many, many grassroots campaigns in my life. It involves walking and canvassing.

At some point in a campaign- especially from someone running for Dallas city council- there comes a time when you have to go out on the street and start knocking on some actual doors.

yeah..you're right..but I'm still poor

Avi is lining his own pockets..

Any campaign takes money, that's just a fact of life. What is so wrong about people giving the peeople a chance to vote on how the government should be structured? Evidently these people followed every rule and now we (voters in Dallas) get a chance to cast a vote. I really don't see why everyone is so opposed to this.

And what is with this "grassroots" stuff? The only person I have seen mention "grassroots" is Veletta Lilly.
    Last edited by columbiasooner; 28 December 2004 at 11:58 AM.

You don't have to be poor, but picking up the phone and calling five of your wealthiest friends to bankroll a PR firm which hires professional petitioners for a sum of $180,000 isn't exactly "grassroots".
    That's what I was getting at.

How is Avi lining his own pockets?
    Dallas uber alles

Haha, something Avi said, looks like an anti-Dallas smear campiagn.

Supertall Skyscraper Member texman's Avatar
    I think this thread should be closed until another news story comes out. I swear its just become TG and some other person having a standoff of opinions. And its been the same opnion like 8 times.
    "And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed."-"Farewell to Penn Station," New York Times Editorial, October 30, 1963

Eulogize the FW Streetcar Haretip's Avatar
    To quote someone (or at least paraphrase), "Methinks the lady doth protest too much".

What's wrong with talking about the strong mayor proposal? Do you have a hidden agenda that you are trying to protect so that you wish to squelch discussion?

Perhaps you are visiting this site too often. The last news article relative to this story was posted this morning. I don't always get to surf through here on an hourly basis, so it would be nice if we could leave discussion open for more than eight hours. I know this site moves fast, but geez.

For the record and the discourse, I am for a strong(er) mayor, but I do not think it is a good idea to completely get rid of the city manager. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Gah, I was just kidding.
    "And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed."-"Farewell to Penn Station," New York Times Editorial, October 30, 1963

Oak Cliff Resident
    columbiasooner could you go over to the "who are we" thread and post. ( link: http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php?t=293 )

By any chance are you in any way connected with mrs. blackwood and her grassroots effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Haretip
    To quote someone (or at least paraphrase), "Methinks the lady doth protest too much".

What's wrong with talking about the strong mayor proposal? Do you have a hidden agenda that you are trying to protect so that you wish to squelch discussion?

Perhaps you are visiting this site too often. The last news article relative to this story was posted this morning. I don't always get to surf through here on an hourly basis, so it would be nice if we could leave discussion open for more than eight hours. I know this site moves fast, but geez.

For the record and the discourse, I am for a strong(er) mayor, but I do not think it is a good idea to completely get rid of the city manager. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.
    Hey, maybe you need to keep up, slow poke!

And I never said anything about squelching discussion. I'm simply debating my points. Of course, if you'd like to discuss it in more clear detail, you can always CALL ME and sit on the phone and not say anything for five whole minutes!

today's editorial

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ood.95063.html

The $$$ in $trong Mayor: We got the names; now, let's talk about the idea

06:15 PM CST on Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Beth Ann Blackwood's first smart move was latching on to an issue – turning Dallas' mayor from a figurehead into a chief executive – that has popular appeal. Her second smart move was ending the cat-and-mouse game about who is bankrolling her strong-mayor drive. Her silence was counterproductive.

The donors she revealed this week – international wheeler-dealer Harold Simmons, real estate mogul Vance Miller, retired publishing executive Will Jarrett, retired manufacturing executive Ray Wallace and investor Albert Huddleston – are, predictably, rich, white and, in some cases, residents of the Park Cities. That may make them targets – if the strong-mayor opponents' strategy is to focus the debate on personalities rather than facts and ideas.

Therefore, Ms. Blackwood's next smart move should be to recruit backers who are neither rich, white nor from the Park Cities. Some of them should hail from the southern sector. That's not too much to ask: Polling by this newspaper found widespread support for the concept of an executive mayor.

Opponents of the strong-mayor plan, meanwhile, would be wise to recognize that residents all over Dallas share the perception that City Hall is broken. Voters may be persuaded by arguments that this plan – which would delete the office of city manager from the city charter – is not the right fix. But they'll tune out in a hurry if the message is: "Dallas is doing great; this proposal is just a naked power grab by the old guard."

There's nothing nefarious about Ms. Blackwood's backers donating to a concept they believe in. Those who are still active in business have few if any dealings with City Hall; their financial interests are national or global, rather than local. Nobody is looking to build a tax-financed sports arena.

This debate should be about what is good for the city of Dallas and its residents. There are strong, legitimate arguments both for and against making the mayor the chief executive. That's what both sides should be talking about. That's what will get people to the polls. And, in the end, dollars don't vote; people do.

Mile-High Skyscraper Member rantanamo's Avatar
    Lol

Nah..I'm just your average mid 30's guy that keeps an eye on local news and sports. I did sign the petition though.

Oak Cliff Resident
    Quote Originally Posted by columbiasooner
    Nah..I'm just your average mid 30's guy that keeps an eye on local news and sports. I did sign the petition though.
    I was just curious.
    It looks like you do a good job of keeping up with local politics and politicians.

I am especially interested in this issue. I have to deal with the code enforcement people down at city hall and it is very frustrating. Plus, I like this board because people, like TG, are thoughtful in what they post.

What's your deal with code enforcement? Perhas I can offer some assistance. I deal with code enforcement every day, in both the neighborhood at home as well at work.

PS- Always, always, always be nice to city employees and they will be good to you- they deal with such jerks on a daily basis, I have found that if you're patient and cheerful on the phone they respond to your problems with a more helpful attitude.

All Purpose Moderator warlock55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trolleygirl
    PS- Always, always, always be nice to city employees and they will be good to you- they deal with such jerks on a daily basis, I have found that if you're patient and cheerful on the phone they respond to your problems with a more helpful attitude.
    Hey, that's right!

I can see not much changed on this thread while I was on vacation. I hope the anti-strong mayor folks can muster enough money to spread the arguments for keeping the city manager. I emailed the regional person at ICMA in charge of providing information about the city management form of government in these situations to get some idea about what actions they're going to take. It'll be interesting to see her response.

Oh and I've discovered that little niceties like Thank You cards and cookies also help when city employees go out of their way to help you.

And all you have to do is be nice and ask questions. I was at the Police Headquarters earlier today picking up a police report and the lady behind the counter was your "typical city employee"- not smiling, doesn't look you in the eye, curt and to-the-point- you know the "attitude" I'm talking about. Oh and a Monday to boot. Well, I didn't have any change and they want exact change, but I did bring along a check, thinking it was going to cost at least a few bucks. *It cost twenty cents.* I rollled my eyes and asked, "you'll take a check, rihgt?" She nodded, I asked for a pen and began writing, she interupted, "that's twenty cents!" I smiled and chuckled and said, "I don't have change- I didn't think it would be that cheap, besides every time I come down here I'm usually spending at least $10! Who knew that a city service would actually cost twenty little cents??" That's when she smiled and became cheerful and said "Happy New Year, have a great day", and all the rest of that happy jazz.

Most people, you just have to treat like people, and I have found that most citizens who "have" to go to city hall to "deal" with code issues, or whatever it is that they're dealing with, are already in a bad mood, already think they pay too much taxes, already think they're right but "you can't fight city hall", and already feel inconvenienced for whatever reason. And they have to stand in line. And they have "to deal with idiots". But if you're that idiot behind the counter at city hall having to take your crap because you're the one who put your bulky trash out too late and got a ticket (or whatever the case may be), think how that person might feel. I would hate to be a city emplyee because I would have to deal with a bunch of freaking morons all day long. And for crap pay with shrinking benefits and higher premiums.

As much as I bitch and complain about city employees not living in the city of Dallas, I can certainly understand why they choose not to. I don't like it, but I can empathize.

As much as I bitch and complain about city employees not living in the city of Dallas, I can certainly understand why they choose not to. I don't like it, but I can empathize.
    Sorta like cops who don't live in the city where they serve, just gets at people, like their not loyal or somthing.

Miller backs strong-mayor vote
    Mayor considers own fund-raising effort

10:11 PM CST on Monday, January 3, 2005

By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

After weeks of maybes and probablys, Mayor Laura Miller said Monday that she would support a May referendum on whether to do away with Dallas' city manager form of government in favor of a more powerful, executive-style mayor.

Ms. Miller may be more than a silent backer: She said she's considering forming her own strong-mayor campaign and fund-raising effort.

"I'm thinking about all of that," she said. "That's what I'm working on now over the next few weeks."

The mayor has long supported mayor empowerment in principle, floating her own proposal before the City Council late last year.

After Ms. Miller's council colleagues rebuffed her, Dallas lawyer Beth Ann Blackwood submitted more than 30,000 residents' signatures on behalf of an even more sweeping strong-mayor ballot petition. City Secretary Shirley Acy certified Ms. Blackwood's petition on Dec. 23.

"There aren't a whole lot of alternatives. This – nothing else – is what's going to be on the ballot," Ms. Miller said. "But I think the issue is that people are hungry for change. People are ready for a strong-mayor form of government. And how much worse could it be? We don't even deliver effective city services."

Interviewed separately, Ms. Blackwood and Ms. Miller said they have not spoken to each other about the strong-mayor referendum and have no immediate plans to do so.

Ms. Blackwood said Monday that she was unaware of the mayor's support or her potential interest in a parallel support campaign. Ms. Blackwood has begun her own $180,000-and-counting effort, with former Dallas Times Herald editor Will Jarrett, real estate executive Vance Miller and Dallas financier Harold Simmons each contributing $36,000.

"I'm pleased to see the mayor is for more accountability at City Hall. I really had no idea what she was going to do," Ms. Blackwood said. "I don't know if the personality of Laura Miller is going to make a significant difference on this issue one way or another. This effort transcends whoever is mayor at a given time."

Council member James Fantroy, who supports retaining the council-manager form of government, pledged to launch an anti-strong-mayor campaign.

Using his own money, Mr. Fantroy said he plans to purchase 100 billboards worth of advertising space and set up phone banks in hopes of thwarting the strong-mayor effort.

"If you're going to try to take power from me, I have the right to use my resources to fight this," Mr. Fantroy said. "This is one of the most critical elections in the history of Dallas elections, and the good Lord has blessed me monetarily. I came from a church that said, 'Give back,' and I'm going to give back. She's got a fight on her hands."

Asked if she's worried about alienating supporters who happen to oppose a strong-mayor form of government, Ms. Miller said that's doubtful.

Neighborhood activist Avi Adelman is unconvinced.

"Apparently then, she's forgot the people who elected her who wanted change, but not by coup d'etat. We don't want a dictatorship," said Mr. Adelman, who operates the Web site strongarmmayor.com. "You're going to see a very unusual mixing of people who don't usually work together coming together to oppose this."

E-mail dlevinthal@dallasnews.com

^Now it's about to get down and dirty! :coolcigar :guns: :coolcigar
    Last edited by Mballar; 05 January 2005 at 11:38 PM.
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something. - Plato

Mayor considers own fund-raising effort

09:05 PM CST on Monday, January 3, 2005

Interviewed separately, Ms. Blackwood and Ms. Miller said they have not spoken to each other about the strong-mayor referendum and have no immediate plans to do so.

"If you're going to try to take power from me, I have the right to use my resources to fight this," Mr. Fantroy said.
    These two sentences represent the essence of what is wrong with Dallas city government. The problem is not the form of govt, rather the motives of office holders.

^ Though I am for the strong mayor system, tamtagon has hit the nail on the head!
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

Oak Cliff Resident
    When it comes down to it in reality there is a small group of people who can make things happen. It is the group of people that can stay united while they divide everybody else.

Unity can provide momentum.

It is eventually going to turn into a racial thing no matter what. It is alot easier to buy 1 person instead of 15 if you know what I mean.

Supertall Skyscraper Member psukhu's Avatar
    Isn't Phoenix is the largest municipality in the country with a weak mayor system?

Are they considering the change to a strong mayor system?

Again, we don't have a "weak mayor system" because there is no such thing. We have a council manager system, that seemed to work just fine with some strong mayors, up until the time Laura Miller was elected as Mayor.

Yes, this is probably going to be the fun five months of the decade- at least for local political junkies like me.

Anyone up for some phone-banking? Guess I'll have to start knocking on some doors.....again.

Supertall Skyscraper Member TexasStar's Avatar
    THE NUMERIC CASE FOR STRONG MAYOR

The Strong Mayor proposition will improve government by reducing the effects of the PEK Factor. The PEK Factor, of course, is the Propensity to Elect Knuckleheads. With the current system the public has the opportunity to put knuckleheads in 15 roughly equivalent spots. Each knucklehead voted into office has a PEK effect equal to approximately .067.

But let's say ,for example, that Strong Mayor increases that office holder's influence by a factor of 4. Then the influence of the other's are correspondingly reduced (as astutely noted by Mr. Fantroy). The measure would reduce their PEK factor to a much less damaging .049. So the even though the electorate may put the same percentage of knuckleheads in office in any given election, the cumulative harm to city will be drastically reduced over time.

Obviously, putting a knucklehead in the Mayor position would be bad thing. Still, for a variety of reasons, the chances of that happening are far less than for the other 14 positions. Simply playing the percentages, Strong Mayor makes perfect sense.

Numbers don't lie, but people do.

^GREAT! Next I guess you'll be proposing that voters take a test to determine their knowledge on local government issues before they can vote.

Who invented the PEK Factor anyway? Talk Radio?

Oak Cliff Resident
    I honestly do not think it will make any diffrence if there is or if there isn't a strong mayor type of government.

Supertall Skyscraper Member TexasStar's Avatar
    Who invented the PEK Factor anyway? Talk Radio?
    Talk radio, big Eastern Think Tank, or some guy killling time on his lunch hour.

All Purpose Moderator warlock55's Avatar
    Phoenix has actually been recognized recently both nationally and internationally for its efficient and innovative government.

Here're a couple of interesting links for you guys:

http://web.utk.edu/~dfolz/cmormayor.pdf
    http://www.governing.com/articles/10assess.htm

\/ Lettttsssss Get Ready To Rrrrrumble. . . :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

Lipscomb likens Miller to Nazis Ex-council member blasts strong-mayor effort as a power grab

08:36 PM CST on Wednesday, January 5, 2005

Linking Adolf Hitler and Dallas Mayor Laura Miller in the same breath, former City Council member Al Lipscomb on Wednesday compared efforts to expand mayoral powers to Nazi power grabs and the Jewish Holocaust.

"Even the Holocaust started somewhere," Mr. Lipscomb told the council, lurching over the public comments lectern, his eyes trained on Ms. Miller as he wagged his finger at her. "Hitler – he was one man obsessed with the need of more power. A power-crazed brute.

"The mayor's office of Dallas is not for you alone, Ms. Miller, and your cronies. Shame, shame, shame!"

One shocked council member insisted that only Mr. Lipscomb should be ashamed – of himself.

"I find it appalling for a former Dallas City Council member to come in here and compare the Holocaust to something that's going on at City Hall. I find it appalling, Mr. Lipscomb!" council member Mitchell Rasansky shouted.

Several of Mr. Rasansky's relatives died during the Holocaust.

"I was disappointed. But people have the right to say what they want to say," Ms. Miller said afterward of Mr. Lipscomb, who serves as council member James Fantroy's appointee to the Dallas Citizens Police Review Board. "Most people are going to keep this on a very good, sound, intellectual debate level."

The exchange during the council's twice-monthly briefing session, some council members said, foreshadows the tenor of debates to come before May's citywide referendum on scrapping Dallas' current manager-council form of government in favor of a government run by a more powerful, executive-style mayor.

Dallas lawyer and prospective City Council candidate Beth Ann Blackwood triggered the May vote after submitting a petition Dec. 23 with more than 30,000 residents' signatures to the city secretary's office.

Mr. Fantroy, a staunch supporter of the current governmental system, insists that the debate transcends race.

But for black leaders who fought for decades to represent their neighborhoods at the City Council level through single-member council districts – Dallas used to elect its council members citywide – the strong-mayor effort is an attempt to suppress the rights and voices of a racial population, Mr. Fantroy said.

"It's no different than what Hitler did," Mr. Fantroy said.

Council member Maxine Thornton-Reese agreed that Mr. Lipscomb's Nazi/strong mayor comparison is valid.

"There is a relationship. You need to study it," Dr. Thornton-Reese said.

Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Don Hill, who supports the manager-council system, admonished Mr. Lipscomb, Mr. Fantroy and Dr. Thornton-Reese for likening the mayor to Nazis.

"It does not fit in with this discussion, "Mr. Hill said. "Those comments, although heartfelt, should not be part of the discussions of the Beth Ann Blackwood petition. You can't get caught up in Nazism or Hitler."

Council members twice during Wednesday's meeting extended Mr. Lipscomb's three-minute speaking allotment. When he asked for a further extension, Ms. Miller cut him off.

"Why are you trying to ..., !" Mr. Lipscomb yelled at the mayor.

"Mr. Lipscomb!" Ms. Miller shouted back, motioning for him to sit down. He grudgingly obliged.

Mr. Lipscomb and Mr. Rasansky are actually allies of sorts: Mr. Rasansky said Wednesday that he would oppose the strong-mayor effort and begin organizing efforts to defeat it.

He noted his decision with irony.

"That's the only bad part about it, being in bed with somebody like Mr. Lipscomb," Mr. Rasansky said, bowing his head and shaking it.

E-mail dlevinthal@dallasnews.com

is gone.
    "I have listened to them with a horrible attention, with a hideous fascination. For it was like watching a man energetically sawing from the tree the branch he is sitting on." - G K Chesterton

Maybe one day we'll have a Strong Mayor Museum in the West End.
    Dallas uber alles

I think broadcast city hall meetings would get higher ratings than the Benefactor..

Am I the only one that is annoyed that this city charter issue is twisted into a race issue? I empathsize with the concerns but really don't see the relevance of bringing it into the picture here.
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

Quote Originally Posted by gc
    Am I the only one that is annoyed that this city charter issue is twisted into a race issue? I empathsize with the concerns but really don't see the relevance of bringing it into the picture here.
    That's politics for you.

Yes it's annoying and I knew that it would be turned into a recial issue. I warned my council rep to not allow that to happen in our district because that issue will turn voters off. So far, Chaney has stayed above the racial fray. I hope he can keep it up.

Oak Cliff Resident
    Yes it's annoying and I knew that it would be turned into a recial issue. I warned my council rep to not allow that to happen in our district because that issue will turn voters off. So far, Chaney has stayed above the racial fray. I hope he can keep it up.
    It is always a racial issue.
    I think it is stupid to bring it up, but I think it necessary to talk about it. It is also important to understand the differences in races and cultures. If we are always afraid to talk about race because somebody’s feelings are going to be hurt then the same issue will keep coming up and up. Dallas is very diverse, and needs diverse representation for its people.

As far as the strong mayor, it will more than likely pass. Why because it has a lot white supporters and white people vote. Minority will oppose and argue and complain about it but very rarely will they take the time and vote.

I don't know, I think it's got a good chance of failing. There are a lot of white people opposed to it.

The problem I see is that if a white man was to say this, they would be demonized by the minorities. If people want to talk about race and cultural issues, then that's one thing. Be up front about it. Don't be afraid to say, "This is going to hurt the black people or minorities". Don't skirt around it like race is not at the core of what you think.

I'm sure that Al didn't mean to say what came out of his mouth. He is a passionate man who cares deeply for his people and wants to make sure they are not trampled on by this system. I think his pride is far greater than it should be.

Just like Proverbs 9:7-8 says
    He who gives teaching to a man of pride gets shame for himself; he who says sharp words to a sinner gets a bad name. Do not say sharp words to a man of pride, or he will have hate for you; make them clear to a wise man, and you will be dear to him.
    I don't think Al is a wise man. He's a man of pride. But that is my opinion.
    Listen to the Dividing Line, Pirate Christian Radio, CARM, White Horse Inn and RTS University the most nowadays.....

Oak Cliff Resident
    Here is where we must understand other races or cultures.

I do not know much about Al, other than he is an African American but I am just going to say he is black to keep it simple.

What crosses thru these people minds, in my opinion is that there is going to be a strong white mayor. But what if we ended up with a strong black or Hispanic, or Asian or other type of mayor?

I myself usually look at the bad side of things; very rarely do I pay attention the good stuff. I am more worried about how things are going to affect me in a bad way other than in a good way.

The way to do it or the way I would do it is my forming relationships with people of different races and getting their point of view.

For example I am Hispanic so I would try and get different points of view from other people and find the ones that agree with my point of view. I would get a white, black, & Hispanic both male and female. If somebody tries to argue that you are racist then you simply let a person of that person's race and gender argue your point. It would seem stupid to call one of your own a racist against your own race.

Thread Information