Thread: Fort Worth - West Bend (mixed-use between Cultural District and TCU)

Mid-Rise Member Fort Worthology's Avatar

Fort Worth - West Bend (mixed-use between Cultural District and TCU)

West Bend is a new mixed-use infill project that has just started construction on University Dr. about midway between the museums of the Cultural District and TCU. It is across University from University Park Village. West Bend will add upgraded office space, a hotel, and ground-floor retail to the site that currently is occupied by one restaurant and the River Plaza office tower and its associated oceans of parking. The renderings and site plan below depict the initial phase of construction, and I'd imagine they could infill some more at a later date. Residential may also be added later on as well. Retail is in new infill buildings and retrofitted to the River Plaza tower.

One cool aspect of the design is the way it is embracing its riverfront site. New connections between West Bend and the Trinity Trails will be built, and retail will front the river and trails as well. This means direct access for pedestrians and bicyclists enjoying the Trinity Trails. It's a great touch, and one I hope to see lots more of in the coming years as the TRV starts to influence more thinking.

This is the site as it existed before construction began:

And these are the renderings of the completed development:

Here is the site plan, including some tenant names:

Tenant names listed on the site plan are:

Silver Fox (existing)
    Swoozie's
    Anthropologie
    J. Crew
    Bebe
    Lulu Lemon
    Eddie Bauer
    Modia
    Fig
    Cru
    Sur La Table
    Fossil
    Lucky
    Brighton

The project is under construction now. As things progress, I will grab some photos. The development will have 90,000 square feet of specialty retail and restaurants, 122,600 square feet of Class-A office space, a 140 room lifestyle hotel, and potential residential.
    Fort Worthology | Hello Panther
    "I'll probably be some kind of scientist,
    building inventions in my space lab in space."

Done
    another great development in Fort Worth

Thanks for the pics Kevin. You should also post your pics of the TCU campus build-up. Truly beautiful and impressive as well. The Downtown-7th Street-Museum District-University Drive-to-TCU corridor is gonna' be a significant and fabulous urban stretch in Texas. Way to go Fort Worth...

Fort Worth seems to get more savvy month by month. Love that they have figured out that surface parking should not be the city's main reason for existing. And that quality life can exist in neighborhoods that don't resemble endless car lots. R-E-S-P-E-C-T you clever cowtowners!.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling
    Fort Worth seems to get more savvy month by month. Love that they have figured out that surface parking should not be the city's main reason for existing. And that quality life can exist in neighborhoods that don't resemble endless car lots. R-E-S-P-E-C-T you clever cowtowners!.

I agree 100%. I've been very impressed with everything they've been doing of late. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. I've been doing what I can to promote proper urban design and smart growth in the Panther City for a while now via Fort Worthology. It's not always been easy, but we have made tremendous strides. The last year or two has seen the central city erupt with numerous high-quality infill projects, both big (this, Museum Place, West 7th, SoSeven, Trinity Bluff, etc.) and small (the numerous high-quality smaller infill projects on the Near Southside, for example). With talk and momentum about the proposed modern streetcar circulator growing - and with District 9 (downtown and Near Southside) councilman Joel Burns expressing his support for the project - we hope to make even bigger steps in the future.

^The streetcar circular seems inevitable, considering the excellent transportation partenership which would be formed with the The T & TRE commuter trains. Panther City Pictures are great KB.

Quote Originally Posted by tamtagon
    ^The streetcar circular seems inevitable, considering the excellent transportation partenership which would be formed with the The T & TRE commuter trains. Panther City Pictures are great KB.
    However what up with budget shortfalls within FW municipality? I am wondering about that and the viability of a street car in such an environment.

Quote Originally Posted by eolicom
    However what up with budget shortfalls within FW municipality? I am wondering about that and the viability of a street car in such an environment.
    There are many possible funding options for the new streetcar. They're being looked at. The council and mayor are putting together a committee to study all this - there's a chance I may be on it. We'll see.

Supertall Skyscraper Member

FW: Construction Halted on Westbend Center

Construction stops on upscale Fort Worth retail centerBy Sandra Bakersabaker@star-telegram.com

Construction is stopping on the WestBend upscale shopping development on University Drive and it won’t start back up until the economy improves, its developer said today.

In a letter to tenants in River Plaza office tower, adjacent to the construction, Fort Worth-based Trademark Property Co. said they are still committed to the project, but that it may not be completed now until the fall of 2010 or the spring of 2011. Remodeling of the 11-story office tower is included in the project.

“Our lead retail tenants, which are a critical component of creating a dynamic mixed-used place, completely understand and are supportive of the need for a delay in this fragile environment,” Trademark said in the letter.

In a press release issued by Trademark, company President Terry Montesi said, “Trademark, our equity partners and our lender remain fully committed to WestBend but believe that in this economic climate, opening any project in 2009 or early 2010 is not smart business.”

Until then, Trademark will continue to find potential retailers and office tenants for the project, said Tommy Miller, the firm’s senior partner.

Trademark said 70 percent of the 725-space parking garage is completed. Construction on the garage will stop later this month.

“We will be ready to re-start the garage construction immediately after economic conditions stabilize, hopefully later in 2009,” the company said in the letter.

Trademark Property Co. partnered with RP Partners, owners of River Plaza, the 120,000-square-foot office building at 1701 River Run, and other investors on the 350,000-square-foot project. About 100,000 square feet was being set aside for shops and restaurants. WestBend is on the eastside of University Drive, across from University Park Village.

The partnership last year bought about 7-acres, which includes River Plaza, the Silver Fox Restaurant, and a parking lot from the city of Fort Worth.

In addition to remodeling the office building and the new parking garage, a four-story building was going to be built, with the first floor for shops and restaurants and the upper three floors for office space. The Silver Fox will remain but also be renovated.

Trademark had never released names of the possible tenants, but construction barriers at the site suggested that J. Crew and Anthropologie are among them.

Lodgeworks, a Wichita, Kan.-based hotel company, was planning a 135-room Hyatt Place hotel for the development. Trademark did not mention that project in its tenant letter or press release.

In the meantime, to relieve parking problems at the site Trademark said it will build a 50-60 space temporary surface parking lot directly to the west of the office tower. It should be ready by March or April.

“These are unprecedented economic times and we believe that remaining cautious is the best way to insure WestBend’s longterm success,” the company said it the letter.

SANDRA BAKER, 817-390-7727

Just Changing Planes aygriffith's Avatar
    map?

Mid-Rise Member
    Houston:

Last month, Trademark Property Co. said it was halting construction of the 7-acre, mixed-use project on Westheimer just inside the Loop. The Fort Worth-based developer said it wasn’t “smart business” to open a project in 2009 or early 2010 with a big retail component.

Thread Information