Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Grocery Chain Thread - Albertson's, Tom Thumb, Kroger, Fiesta, etc.

I don't believe the Dallas grocery market is all that lacking..sure we don't have HEB's which I totally miss from growing up in San Antonio, but in all honesty, there's not a worse place for grocery shopping than San Antonio. There are many great HEB's all over SA, but it's just basically them and Wal Mart Supercenters.
    All the Krogers have closed and left...same with all of the Albertsons. There were smaller chains also (Piggly Wiggly, Handy Andy) but they're pretty much all gone too.

And besides Ennis, there are HEB's in Waxahachie and Cleburne if you get a wild hair...

I remember the old Tom Thumb's at Knox and McKinney and at Central and Mockingbird...I practically lived at the Knox store back in the late 80's and early 90's...
    Last edited by 940; 02 February 2006 at 09:41 PM.

The smartest gal in town! trolleygirl's Avatar
    Our grocery landscape here does suck wind. Too many Super Saver-type discount stores. Too many gimmicks ("I'm sorry that sale does not apply to you unless you have a special card", and the tired "10 for 10 sales....well, who wants 10 heads of lettuce???) Not enough consistency in the selection. I have to pick my routes carefully because I can't get Swiss Ementellier cheese at the Tom Thumb or the Minyard's although I CAN get smoked cheddar, but I have to go to Albertson's for that. I can't get Sass soy and garlic dressing sause and real dijon mustard at one Minyard's, but I can at the one across town. And don't even get me started on meat and produce selections! Pathetic! And bread? Oh no, try finding a good loaf of French bread or Italian sourdough anywhere.

When are we getting a Trader Joe's?????

^^ I agree..having Trader Joe's here would be pretty terrific too..they're opening stores all over the US so I'm hoping that the DFW area is on their radar soon.

Special card... I'd love store that didn't require a card. If only Walgreens had ground beef and Stoffer's Lasagna. I'd be set.

We need HEB

HEB has been successful wherever they have set up shop - San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Rio Grande Valley. Their Central Market concept is awesome as well. I absolutely hate grocery shopping in Wal-Mart because the customer service sucks, the produce is awful, the clientele sucks, and it seems to take forever to get in and out of that place, especially the location in south Arlington. Tom Thumb has great service, but prices are high, Kroger is okay I guess, and Albertsons is not all that.

the-young-and-the-bright RobertB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyIvey
    Special card... I'd love store that didn't require a card. If only Walgreens had ground beef and Stoffer's Lasagna. I'd be set.
    Obligatory link to CASPIAN (Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion And Numbering). They have a list of supermarket chains and their "loyalty" card status. If I were in a position to submit such legislation, I would require that all grocery stores in the state of Texas make the same prices available to all customers -- most notably, those buying groceries with state tax dollars -- regardless of whether they hold a "loyalty card". Go ahead, have a loyalty card, give freebies away and do all the data mining you want... but don't make it a requirement just to buy a bag of rice at a reasonable price.

What's especially annoying is the double-standard by the chains that have cards. Albertson's has a card, but their Super Saver discount arm doesn't. Brookshire's does, but Super 1 Foods doesn't. Make up your minds, Mr & Ms executive: are they the bees' knees, or a multi-million dollar boondoggle?
    As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals... Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. - B. Obama 1/20/09

I don't believe HEB has a specialty card either which just adds to their appeal, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 940
    I don't believe the Dallas grocery market is all that lacking
    Agreed. Between Kroger, Tom Thumb, Whole Foods, Albertsons, Central Market, Fiesta, Maynard, Neighborhood Market and Super Walmart and Super Target we've got lots of choices.

But what Dallas really needs is Publix Supermarkets to head out this far West. I worked at Publix as a stock clerk through high school and none of the grocery stores out here compare IMO.

http://www.publix.com/

Loyalty cards are a joke at grocery stores becuase they are really just a "Let us track your consumption habits and we will not gouge you on pricing at our store" card. A true loyalty program pays back when you continue to patronize a particular store. For instance, when you buy 12 bags of dog food, the 13th is free. Sure, you're paying for that 13th bag but only because you continue to buy from the same pet store. That is a loyalty scheme.

Bonus: the store can still track your purchases which I really don't care about. As a business owner, I want the same thing from my customers. Who wouldn't? It makes managing inventory and buying that much easier which pays off for the consumer when your favorite store carries the product you like and always has it in stock.

Sorry for the rant.

Low-Rise Member
    I don't believe the Dallas grocery market is all that lacking..sure we don't have HEB's which I totally miss from growing up in San Antonio, but in all honesty, there's not a worse place for grocery shopping than San Antonio. There are many great HEB's all over SA, but it's just basically them and Wal Mart Supercenters.

All the Krogers have closed and left...same with all of the Albertsons. There were smaller chains also (Piggly Wiggly, Handy Andy) but they're pretty much all gone too.
    You are right about Kroger leaving... the nearest Kroger is in Bryan! And searches on Randalls and Tom Thumb turn up nothing. I bet Kroger will return when the San Antonio area increases in population.

I'll list store locations of Target

Target:
    * Balcones Heights Crossroads SuperTarget 4522 Fredricksburg Rd , Balcones Heights, TX 78201-6521 US
    * San Antonio North SuperTarget18255 Blanco Rd , San Antonio, TX 78258-4585 US
    * San Antonio West SuperTarget 11311 Bandera Rd , San Antonio, TX 78250-6812 US

So that's three... Wal-Mart SuperCenter, HEB, and SuperTarget.

^^ I forgot about SuperTarget because they're fairly new onto the scene in San Antonio within the last couple of yrs....and anyway, you've only listed three of them in the whole metro?? I've shopped at them here in the DFW market some years back as this was their initial market entrance into Texas...I think they're very expensive and I'm just not a fan, although I like Target.

I doubt Kroger will move back to San Antonio...Kroger left years ago because they ran into problems with the unions at the stores there and they decided to play hardball and not pay what the employees demanded...they also went to the extreme and basically said screw this, we're outta here, and they closed up all their SA locations. A buddy that worked at Kroger at the time said that the company felt like it was being extorted..who knows...in any case, a metro area of close to 2 million people only has HEB's, Wal Mart Supercenters, and three SuperTargets..count'em...three...I'd say that's sorely lacking!!

Low-Rise Member
    ^^ I forgot about SuperTarget because they're fairly new onto the scene in San Antonio within the last couple of yrs....and anyway, you've only listed three of them in the whole metro?? I've shopped at them here in the DFW market some years back as this was their initial market entrance into Texas...I think they're very expensive and I'm just not a fan, although I like Target.

I doubt Kroger will move back to San Antonio...Kroger left years ago because they ran into problems with the unions at the stores there and they decided to play hardball and not pay what the employees demanded...they also went to the extreme and basically said screw this, we're outta here, and they closed up all their SA locations. A buddy that worked at Kroger at the time said that the company felt like it was being extorted..who knows...in any case, a metro area of close to 2 million people only has HEB's, Wal Mart Supercenters, and three SuperTargets..count'em...three...I'd say that's sorely lacking!!
    There are more regular Targets, but these are the only three SuperTargets.

In Tomorrow's Business Section:

Albertsons to close 11 N. Texas stores

AP
    The decision is the first from the new owners and operators since the No. 4 U.S. grocer was sold. By Maria Halkias
    New owners and operators of area Albertsons stores are planning to close 11 unprofitable stores in Dallas-Fort Worth and 19 others in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana to focus on locations it believes can turn around, the regional president said in an interview Tuesday.

Each store employs about 100 people and they will be offered jobs in other stores, said William Emmons, president of Albertsons' D-FW division.

Read the complete story in tomorrow's Dallas Morning News or at DallasNews.com.

Uptown's Albertsons couldn't possibly be on the chopping block could it? That place is packed every tiem I go there.

Here are the stores that are closing:

6505 W. Park Road, Plano
    6951 Preston Road, Frisco
    2661 Midway Road, Carrollton
    6921 Independence Parkway, Plano
    901 Polk Street, DeSoto
    131 Spring Creek Parkway, Plano
    9779 Forest Lane, Dallas
    2150 S. Highway 121, Lewisville
    3312 Preston Road, Plano
    9609 Clark Road, Dallas
    14211 Coit Road, Dallas

Source: Dallas Business Journal

BTW, I have fond memories of the Clark Rd location. The last time I was there I was the third in line to checkout. A morbidly obese woman was trying to use her food stamps on a triple-box set of cheerios (insisting it's only one box), among other scams. After about 15 minutes, fattie went to go pick up the correct cheerios box. While waiting there in line, I asked the clerk for a "Preferred Savings Card" because it was going to save me about $4 per party tray I was purchasing. She then told me that she didn't have any forms.

So I said screw it, went to Wal-Mart, found the same party trays for $2 cheaper than Albertson's "preferred price" and wondered why the hell I went to Alberton's in the first place.

I hope these closures give HEB some incentive to move in. Doubtful.

Mega-Tall Skyscraper Member BigD5349's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VectorWega
    I hope these closures give HEB some incentive to move in. Doubtful.
    I would, too, but it's tough to come into a "Walmart" market when you don't have any marketshare. You'd have to buy the marketshare from a competitor, and I doubt HEB would find that in a string of underperforming Albertson's stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Uptown's Albertsons couldn't possibly be on the chopping block could it? That place is packed every tiem I go there.
    That Uptown Albertsons is a cesspool, the sooner they close that place the better.

I didn't say it wasn't a cess pool, I only said it was busy.

albertsons leaving

i heard they are closing like 11 stores on the news but serriously they needa close more http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/1475...annel=dfw_news here is a link its not 2 in depth but youll get the point

Low-Rise Member
    The Spring Valley/Coit store they are closing is barely 3 years old, and is the prime tenant in a shopping center that's only just now starting to fill up. Will be interesting to see how its closing affects that area (which already needs a shot in the arm). Having said that, the store doesn't ever seem to be crowded, and is usually poorly stocked and organized.

The Coit/Campbell store, on the other hand, is among the best of their local operations. They carry several items I've never been able to find anywhere else, so I'm glad they are remaining open.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD5349
    I would, too, but it's tough to come into a "Walmart" market when you don't have any marketshare. You'd have to buy the marketshare from a competitor, and I doubt HEB would find that in a string of underperforming Albertson's stores.
    HEB could turn these unprofitable stores into profitable ones, but I agree that they have bigger plans up their sleeves. The 5 Central Market stores were the beginning, they're likely awaiting the right deal to buy into the game. The DFW grocery market continues to settle out with continued closures. Additionally, HEB is competing with Wal-Mart head-on (in other markets) with their "HEB Plus" stores that provide more than groceries. That said, for me they can't get here soon enough.

Supertall Skyscraper Member
    I'm shocked they didn't close the one at Central and Royal (does it matter that it's a Supersaver store now?). I work out at the 24 HR Fitness next door and will occasionally run in there to pick up something. The place is always dead, horribly staffed, and huge quantaties of items are not even stocked....just huge gaps on the shelves. That store needs to be put out of its misery.

One year later, I'm still begging HEB to come into our market.....Of course, exactly how many conversations has anyone at City Hall had to make that come true... probably none.

That's what elected officials in other towns do... they don't wait to be on someone's short list, they go to the executives and make it happen. Not so in Dallas.

(sorry for being political on a business thread, but that's how they should do it)

Mid-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch69
    The Spring Valley/Coit store they are closing is barely 3 years old, and is the prime tenant in a shopping center that's only just now starting to fill up. Will be interesting to see how its closing affects that area (which already needs a shot in the arm). Having said that, the store doesn't ever seem to be crowded, and is usually poorly stocked and organized.

The Coit/Campbell store, on the other hand, is among the best of their local operations. They carry several items I've never been able to find anywhere else, so I'm glad they are remaining open.

Building the Spring Valley/Coit store was a mistake. I think Albertson's was still in the construction phase when the Tom Thumb on the southeast corner turned into a Fiesta Food Store. That, along with the fact that there is also a Carnival and a Malone's Cost Plus within half a block, should have predicted the demise of Albertson's at that location.

I have been very pleased with the Albertson's on Northwest Hwy & Ferndale.

Mile-High Skyscraper Member rantanamo's Avatar
    Malone's............... Weirdest store around.

Why are my memories of HEB's so different from any other store? Seems like everywhere these things are, they are crowded like Wal-Mart at Christmas all year. I've been to them in Houston, Austin, SA and Brownsville. Always crowded. Are they just that good?

^ Yes they are. At least the ones I've patronized in Houston, SA, and McAllen. The cleanliness of the stores along with the selection is a plus.

A lot of grocers in Dallas could learn something from them. For example, the Albertsons next to West Village @ McKinney & Lemmon. The prices are outrageous, the store is understaffed, plus it's usually pretty dirty.

They probably make a mint at that location so they'll keep it open. I'd rather go to WalMart than go to that store and I hate WalMart.

^^^^^
    UH is right. When my family was living the Houston area, it was the only place my folks would shop. HEB's store are terrific.

HEB also has a terrific private label with their "Hill Country Fare" products..everything is high quality and much cheaper than anything you could ever find at an Albertson's.

Quote Originally Posted by vman
    I'm shocked they didn't close the one at Central and Royal (does it matter that it's a Supersaver store now?). I work out at the 24 HR Fitness next door and will occasionally run in there to pick up something. The place is always dead, horribly staffed, and huge quantaties of items are not even stocked....just huge gaps on the shelves. That store needs to be put out of its misery.
    According to the news screen on the elevators in Fountain Place , Albertson's is closing all its Supersaver stores as well.

Sophisticated Boom-Boom US75Guy's Avatar
    Semi-on topic here:

Anyone know what is being built at Preston Forest SE corner where the Minyard's used to be? They leveled the old store and are building what looks like (size and shape) a new grocery store, or some other big box retailer.

Any inside info?

Super Saver stores closing

12:34 AM CDT on Tuesday, June 13, 2006
    By MARIA HALKIAS / The Dallas Morning News

Albertson's LLC said Monday that it's shutting down its Super Saver subsidiary, which operates 11 stores in Dallas-Fort Worth and employs 940 people.

Last week, the new owners of Albertson's stores in Texas and other markets said it was closing dozens of stores to focus on turning around the rest of the chain.

Super Saver stores are operated by subsidiary Extreme Inc. In recent years, it converted several unprofitable Albertson's locations to the no-frills Super Saver concept.

Two stores in Utah will remain open, and the remaining 25 stores and a small corporate operation are closing by August, said spokeswoman Chris Wilcox.

Albertson's LLC was formed this month after the split sale of Albertson's Inc., then the No. 4 U.S. grocery chain.

Last week, the company said it would close 11 Albertson's stores in the Dallas area. but Super Saver employees "will have to apply if they want to work for Albertson's," Ms. Wilcox said.

E-mail mhalkias@dallasnews.com

GROCERY SHUTDOWNS

Arlington
    1050 W. Arkansas Lane

Dallas
    1227 N. Masters Drive
    11170 N. Central Expy.
    10020 Marsh Lane

Duncanville
    4101 Wheatland Road

Farmers Branch
    13100 Josey Lane

Garland
    822 E. Centerville Road

Irving
    535 W. Airport Freeway

Mesquite
    1900 Oates Drive
    2106 N. Galloway Ave.

Watauga
    6249 Rufe Snow Drive

SOURCE: Super Saver

Low-Rise Member
    US75Guy, the new store at Preston/Forest is a Whole Foods Market that will replace the current location across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHope
    ...For example, the Albertsons next to West Village @ McKinney & Lemmon. The prices are outrageous, the store is understaffed, plus it's usually pretty dirty.

They probably make a mint at that location so they'll keep it open. I'd rather go to WalMart than go to that store and I hate WalMart.

I hate that Albertson's too. I've lived in Uptown for 10 years now and am amazed at how little the store has changed. Sure they did a quickie remodel, but in the past ten years the average income of its' customers has probably tripled, if not more, and the selection there has remained the same. They are still catering to same food stamp people of ten years ago. Come on go Upscale!!!

I guess with the profits in that location, combined with some people's antipathy towards Walmart, why bother?

Sophisticated Boom-Boom US75Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch69
    US75Guy, the new store at Preston/Forest is a Whole Foods Market that will replace the current location across the street.
    Thanks Sasquatch!

This just in from Channel 5:
    http://www.nbc5i.com/news/10053099/detail.html
    Ross Buying 46 Albertsons Sites In Planned Expansion

POSTED: 12:22 pm CDT October 11, 2006
    UPDATED: 12:29 pm CDT October 11, 2006

PLEASANTON, Calif. -- Ross Stores said it will acquire 46 former Albertsons supermarkets in six states -- including Texas -- as part of its ambitious expansion plans next year.

The Pleasanton, Calif.-based retail chain announced plans Tuesday to take over sites in Texas, Oklahoma, California, Florida, Arizona and Colorado by November. It plans to convert them to Ross discount stores or its sister brand DD's Discounts as early as March.

Ross wouldn't specify which of the Albertsons stores it will take over.

Its latest plans for expansion are among the biggest in the history of Ross, which started as a family-run junior department store chain in the San Francisco Bay area in 1957.

Ross sells name-brand apparel and accessories at prices 20 to 60 percent below those of department stores and specialty shops. It operates 766 stores in 27 states and Guam.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Oops.
    As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals... Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. - B. Obama 1/20/09

Does that mean the Albertsons in Uptown will go? Of course, there's already a Ross at CityPlace. If Albertsons does go, does that mean another mean another grocer might try to develop something in/near Uptown or is the mere presence of WalMart still too intimidating?

didnt i read on another thread on this board that HEB is opening a store in pinnacle park? or was i just daydreaming?

ill go back and look but...sheesh...i read that somewhere.

which makes my day. i grew up in the hill country and have been waiting for them to come here. when i go down for longhorn games, i make a stop and stock up on items i love from there.

theyre committed to texas products...us products...and i really enjoy their line of foods. im particularly fond of their dr. b...which if you knew me and my passion for dr. pepper...you would know that means something.

as for albertsons...so long. never liked the store. although i do have to say they had this program where they were pretty much willing to stock something you wanted. you just had to fill out a form and the store manager would give it a try. one store started stocking tejano salsa for us because we couldn't find it anywhere else (an amazing texas product).

-goes off to search for the thread-
    I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. -TJ

Skyscraper Member LakeHighlands's Avatar
    It's Albertsons locations that are already closed. Over 100 were closed this year. The current Albertsons are not closing.
    "One of Dallas' strongest communities, Lake Highlands boasts a true sense of neighborhood spirit. Local stores reflect passionate support for Lake Highlands schools with school posters and signs. True to its name, the area features handsome traditional homes up and down rolling hills and charming, winding roads." --Lake Highlands People

Did anyone else see the story on NBC 5 tonight (11/8) that mentioned how HEB owns a plot of land in Burleson(just to the south of Ft Worth) and could announce soon that they plan to build a regular HEB grocery store on that piece of property? An official from Burleson talked about how they've had some discussions with HEB and that the grocery store being proposed would definitely not be another Central Market.

As someone that grew up in San Antonio around HEB stores, as soon as I heard the word HEB on the news, I dropped everything and paid attention so I wouldn't miss the jist of the story. Jane McGarry alluded to the idea that HEB might be finally starting to move into the DFW market but nothing was concrete from HEB or Burleson city officials.

Keeping my fingers crossed that there's more to come...

Low-Rise Member
    Albertson's cuts more area stores

Grocery chain to close 5 underperforming locations by year's end

09:14 AM CST on Friday, December 1, 2006

By MARIA HALKIAS / The Dallas Morning News

Albertson's LLC continues to retrench, confirming Thursday that four more of its grocery stores in Dallas-Fort Worth will close.

Albertsons stores in The Colony, Mansfield and North Richland Hills, and in Oak Cliff on West Jefferson Boulevard, are underperforming and will close by the end of the year, the company said. The store on North Loop 281 in Longview will also close.

That will leave Albertson's with 78 stores in D-FW and one in Longview.

Full story:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.2dd7627.html

The smartest gal in town! trolleygirl's Avatar
    I still hate Albertson's and I hate the loyalty cards, I've ranted about that before. But I have to share my newest experience: last night, for some unknown reason, perhaps I was feeling a bit adventurous or something, I wandered into the Tom Thumb at Abrams and Mockingbird. I marvelled at the deli section and the cheeses and the soup bar and the olive bar and all the many breads. As I was staring at the deli meats, an incredibly nice meat guy asked me if I wanted a sample of their new off-the-bone smoked ham. So I bought a pound. It was really good. Then he looked in my cart, noticed that I had a couple of cheeses and asked if I liked horseradish and I said yes, so he gave me a sample of this cheddar with horseradinh. I liked it and I wanted some, but not a lot, so he said, "How about if I give you a couple slices?" I said sure. He asked if I was new to shop there and I said yes. I was very impressed with the level of service and hospitality. Every time I saw a worker there, they always smiled and asked if I found everuthing okay. When I got to the checkout, it was clean and the cashier was extremely friendly- I broke down and filled out the thing to get my discount card. The whole store was nice and clean, the people went out of thier way to be nice and I didn't think the prices were too out of control. I thought that Tom Thumb has always been one of the most expensive chains, but I suppose that now I can see why- this store was a great store, clean, friendly people, knowledgable staff. I love service, the lack of it is one of my pet peeves, and I suppose that I have lowered my expectations across the board and I just don't expect for grocery store employees to be attentive or anywhere to be found, for that matter. I certainly don't expect them to know anything about their products, much less point me in the right direction (in Wal Mart last week, asking for Band-aids, and was pointed to the wrong section, I should have known better). So, I guess the trade here is the service and I will definately be shopping at that store again.

Low-Rise Member
    When you use your card (yeah, it sucks, I know), Tom Thumb doesn't seem any more expensive than the post-buyout Albertson's, and only slightly more than Kroger. I don't shop at Wal-Mart, so I can't compare them.

We usually do our big shopping runs at Costco, and then use our little neighborhood Tom Thumb on W. Arapaho in Richardson for everything else. As with the store tg mentioned, the Richardson store is always clean and well-stocked, and the employees are helpful.

Dammit! I shop at the Albertsons on West Jefferson and that is one of the grocery stores shutting down.

(I know I bad talked Albertsons earlier in this thread, but I gave them another chance. LoL)

On a side note, I don't think HEB will really enter the DFW market unless Albertsons pulls out (or if HEB thinks they can help push them out). I don't count Burleson because that's way out there and HEB already has stores in Cleburne and Waxahachie so that's not a big deal IMO.

You're probably right about HEB but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Burleson really isn't way out there like you think (of course on an urban board like this, it might as well be light years away)! It's 12 miles from downtown Ft Worth and 8 miles south of I-20 straddling the Tarrant/Johnson county line...think Mansfield but further west. This store will be the farthest north of any of the south suburban HEB stores and hopefully a "test" of things to come. I do wish they'd buy up some of the Albertson's properties and enter this market in a big way though..

Mid-Rise Member
    As I was staring at the deli meats, an incredibly nice meat guy asked me if I wanted a sample of their new off-the-bone smoked ham.
    This is incredibly amusing to me.
    Celebrating the urban greatness of Texas: Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, El Paso and Fort Worth.

Best service I have ever had was at Market Street... They have a great staff- and still have teenage kids that carry the groceries out to the car. But don't try to tip them- they can't accept tips! Market Street is my favorite. Think of a cross between Central Market and Tom Thumb. They have most of the things you'd find at Central Market- but you can buy dog food, toothpaste, laundry detergent etc... Greatness!

Dammit! I shop at the Albertsons on West Jefferson and that is one of the grocery stores shutting down.

(I know I bad talked Albertsons earlier in this thread, but I gave them another chance. LoL)

On a side note, I don't think HEB will really enter the DFW market unless Albertsons pulls out (or if HEB thinks they can help push them out). I don't count Burleson because that's way out there and HEB already has stores in Cleburne and Waxahachie so that's not a big deal IMO.
    I would tend to chalk that one's departure up to another impossible-to-navigate store layout. It was as though they'd thrown all the sections up in the air to see where they'd land. The "Beverage Boulevard" was a real frustration -- it busted up the orderly aisles with a perpendicular set that made it impossible to just cruise through and pick up what you needed. Much easier to go a few blocks to the Fiesta Mart, which has continued to thrive ever since it entered the market. Or, I hate to say, to the Wal-Mart in Pinnacle Park.

Sucks, though, that that big block will be vacant again. They tore out an apartment complex and a few small houses to put it in, though I can't say the complex was much to look at in the first place.

That sucks for that neighborhood. The Tom Thumb in that area is weak.

Yeah, we need more retail options in Oak Cliff, not fewer.
    Is there a chance a Fiesta could move into that spot, perhaps to compete with the sparkling new Carnival in Oak Cliff?

In any case, I hope the Albertson's lot doesn't stay vacant too long after the store closes. Speaking of which, any news on what's going on with the shuttered Tom Thumb on Cedar Springs? It's such a black hole on a street that should be alive with retail or mixed-use along that stretch.

Thread Information