Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Lake Highlands: Projects + Construction | V3.0

Mid-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMapman
    Maybe you'd prefer higher prices from store loss to go with your sense of entitlement? There are plenty of places you can shop at where they probably won't check your receipt.
    I have also experienced extremely poor service at the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market on Audelia, service so bad that I do not shop there anymore. I am extremely cheap so I think the fact that I prefer to pay $5-$10 extra each grocery store trip says a lot. Also, my treatment was unrelated to loss prevention.
    Last edited by LakeRidge; 07 April 2008 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jswilson64
    My wife noticed that Two Rows in Old Town has closed - what's up with that?
    Two Rows was still open for business and booming during the St. Patty's Day Parade...seems unlikely that they have closed.

I'm sure as others have stated that the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market experiences high levels of shoplifting, as do several other businesses at that intersection. Personally, I would rather have my receipt checked to cut down on the crime than the grocery store going completely under from excessive stolen merchandise.

I don't shop at the Wal-Mart anymore b/c it is so dirty. The prices are great though. They checked my receipt at a Plano store as well - I think that's just what they do. Iit must be working for them to some extent or they wouldn't pay someone to do it.

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txRNGr
    Personally, I would rather have my receipt checked to cut down on the crime than the grocery store going completely under from excessive stolen merchandise.
    There must be a less intrusive way than treating your good customers like potential shoplifters.
    It is so obnoxious and if there are alternatives, I shop somewhere else. I think it is a really lazy way to tackle this problem and I also don't think a shop should pretend to be some authority that it really isn't. The fact that many people don't mind feels sheepish to me.

Lighten up. It's really not a big deal - just shop elsewhere if it bugs you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddinHead
    LOL... sorry but the section of Walnut Hill east of Abrams was formerly known as Kingsley and old habits are hard to break.
    I'm still curious at to why Lake Highlands Rd ends at NW Highway and Plano Rd. starts. They ought to extend it up to at least 635 like they did with Walnut Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by txRNGr
    Two Rows was still open for business and booming during the St. Patty's Day Parade...seems unlikely that they have closed.

I'm sure as others have stated that the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market experiences high levels of shoplifting, as do several other businesses at that intersection. Personally, I would rather have my receipt checked to cut down on the crime than the grocery store going completely under from excessive stolen merchandise.
    I did some checking and saw on a beer-oriented site that Two Rows on Greenville closed as of 3/30. Other locations will still be open.

As to the receipt-checking, I don't think it works for a grocery store. Fry's, yes, "regular" Wal-Mart, maybe. But a grocery store? Do you really think they're going to verify that you have 3 cans of black beans and 2 of kidney, and not vice versa? They can't possibly check every item when I make my big weekly trip, and they're also not going to catch the shoplifter with merchandise stuffed up their clothing. They're only affecting the most brazen people who go and fill up a bag without paying for any of it, and treating everyone else like a suspect. A business has no right to search my personal effects (my grocery bags) without suspicion, and that's why you can just bypass the receipt checker - they know they don't have any legal right to do what they're doing, and can only search you without cause if you agree to it. Well, I say if you think I'm a shoplifter, detain me properly, conduct your search of my person and personal effects, and face the consequences when you turn out to be wrong.

I saw this on Prescott's site and it looked interesting.

White Rock Trail / Toscana Redevelopment:

Prescott Realty Group is proposing a planned development of luxury rental homes in the 6800 block of Skillman St., where the dated Toscana and White Rock Trail apartments currently stand. This project, which complements our nearby Lake Highlands Town Center development, will include two four-story buildings featuring high-quality brick masonry, upscale amenities, private club houses/courtyards/pools and lush parkway landscaping. The property will provide new upscale housing options and endear future generations of residents eager to call Lake Highlands home!

www.wrtredevelopment.com

Skyscraper Member
    A business has no right to search my personal effects (my grocery bags) without suspicion, and that's why you can just bypass the receipt checker - they know they don't have any legal right to do what they're doing, and can only search you without cause if you agree to it. Well, I say if you think I'm a shoplifter, detain me properly, conduct your search of my person and personal effects, and face the consequences when you turn out to be wrong.
    All they have to do is post a sign that any person entering the property is subject to search. It's then your decision whether or not to enter the property, but if you do then you are agreeing to their terms. There are, of course, still reasonable limitations to what they can do (no strip searches or such).

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xdavidwattsx
    I'm still curious at to why Lake Highlands Rd ends at NW Highway and Plano Rd. starts. They ought to extend it up to at least 635 like they did with Walnut Hill.
    They were originally two unconnected roads. The connecting stretch just south of NW Hwy was built last. Plano is a well known, major street through multiple cities -- it ain't changing. They could rename Lake Highlands, but why would anyone bother?

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
    All they have to do is post a sign that any person entering the property is subject to search. It's then your decision whether or not to enter the property, but if you do then you are agreeing to their terms. There are, of course, still reasonable limitations to what they can do (no strip searches or such).
    And we should all believe this without any sort of reference?

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by galore
    And we should all believe this without any sort of reference?
    Well, you could do a little of this thing called "research". But since Google seems to be a bit beyond you, here's an article on the subject http://legallad.quickanddirtytips.co...ur-rights.aspx

Excerpt: "So, if a police officer stopped you as you walked out of the store without sufficient reasons, then you would be able to invoke the protections of the Fourth Amendment against the search. However, because the security guard at Best Buy is not an agent of the government, the Fourth Amendment does not apply. The security guard is not compelled to abide by Fourth Amendment requirements, including the need for a warrant or probable cause to search. His search does not violate your Fourth Amendment rights."

The article goes on to list some of the limitation and exceptions.

Low-Rise Member
    Well, you could do a little of this thing called "research". But since Google seems to be a bit beyond you, here's an article on the subject http://legallad.quickanddirtytips.co...ur-rights.aspx

Excerpt: "So, if a police officer stopped you as you walked out of the store without sufficient reasons, then you would be able to invoke the protections of the Fourth Amendment against the search. However, because the security guard at Best Buy is not an agent of the government, the Fourth Amendment does not apply. The security guard is not compelled to abide by Fourth Amendment requirements, including the need for a warrant or probable cause to search. His search does not violate your Fourth Amendment rights."

Thanks a lot you rude idiot.

Did you even read the article you posted? It's a bunch of maybe-possibly-could be.
    What a way to substantiate your asinine post. LOL!
    Last edited by galore; 15 April 2008 at 10:00 AM.

Correct, a private rent-a-cop (or a private business) isn't bound by the Fourth Amendment. BUT, holding someone in a store because they refuse to show a receipt and the store has no other grounds for holding them is kidnapping. I personally doubt the legality of those signs that say "if you come in here we have the right to search you," but I can't find any challenges to cite. To me, they're like the signs on the back of rock haulers that say, "Stay back 200 ft. Not responsible for broken windshields." Well, guess what - if a rock from that truck hits your windshield, they ARE responsible, regardless of the sign.

Low-Rise Member
    Correct, a private rent-a-cop (or a private business) isn't bound by the Fourth Amendment. BUT, holding someone in a store because they refuse to show a receipt and the store has no other grounds for holding them is kidnapping. I personally doubt the legality of those signs that say "if you come in here we have the right to search you," but I can't find any challenges to cite. To me, they're like the signs on the back of rock haulers that say, "Stay back 200 ft. Not responsible for broken windshields." Well, guess what - if a rock from that truck hits your windshield, they ARE responsible, regardless of the sign.
    The term is probably "false imprisonment" rather than kidnapping.

http://www.nolo.com/definition.cfm/T...7E727/alpha/F/
    Last edited by jelf; 15 April 2008 at 10:19 AM.

Yup. And I probably need to drop it - it's WAY off-topic in this thread...

Low-Rise Member
    true, but off topic conversation is better than no conversation.

Back to a bit of topic, the apartments at NW Highway and Ferndale are almost completely demolished now.

Lake Ridge Estates
    Wow, that was fast! I drove by on Sunday, and it looked like they had demolished only about 1/3. Good news, though.

Low-Rise Member
    did anyone see the article in the most recent Lake Highlands Advocate? It had a lot about the Town Center, Shoreview/Ferndale, Skillman/Church etc. It's too bad that they haven't been putting the new issues online for a while.

Lake Ridge Estates
    I didn't even get a hard copy on my door this month, and I was really disappointed because I knew it had a lot of articles related to development.

Super Sounds Of The 70s! KBilly's Avatar
    The Advocate mags are always available online here: http://www.advocatemag.com/archives/...ives_year=2008

White Rock Valley, which typically gets it delivered the last weekend of the month (i.e. end of March for April issue) just got it this past weekend.

If you don't get yours, send an email via their website. They really do want to know if their contracted delivery people are not doing their job. As a no-charge magazine, it's important to be able to verify distribution numbers (for their advertisers) and they want to know if you are being missed.

That link only gives me the cover of the April issue. Can see all of March.

Mid-Rise Member

Advocate available at Juice It Up

My favorite smoothie shop, Juice It Up, usually has a stack of Advocate magazines in a rack by the door.
    Located a couple doors from Mi Cocina @ Skillman & Walnut Hill

Don't forget a Strawberry Wave smoothie

Mid-Rise Member ericthegardener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeRidge
    My favorite smoothie shop, Juice It Up, usually has a stack of Advocate magazines in a rack by the door.
    Located a couple doors from Mi Cocina @ Skillman & Walnut Hill

Don't forget a Strawberry Wave smoothie
    I'm not in that part of town very much (even though my work is not too far from there) but I thought I would try Juice It Up during my lunch after reading your mention. Nice change of pace from my regular Jamba Juice.

I really liked the larger lobby at JIU. I always feel like I'm in a cattle car at Jamba, especially when it's crowded. Some different flavors than Jamba too. The may still be getting their act together though, because the employees didn't seem to know the menu. I had to repeat my order 3 times and finally point it out on their menu board because they didn't know what I was talking about. They were very nice though.

It seems like that shopping center is doing well as the parking lot was nearly full. I wondered how well it would do after the Whole Foods left, but it seems to have found it's footing.

Thanks for the tip!

That link only gives me the cover of the April issue. Can see all of March.
    The Advocate does not publish a complete monthly issue in HTML -- they never have. Rather than just looking, you should click on the cover and download the PDF for that month. You scroll down and get the rest for 2008, for each area they publish in. You link to 2007, 2006, etc. and yada yada.

JIU rocks!

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KBilly
    The Advocate does not publish a complete monthly issue in HTML -- they never have. Rather than just looking, you should click on the cover and download the PDF for that month. You scroll down and get the rest for 2008, for each area they publish in. You link to 2007, 2006, etc. and yada yada.

JIU rocks!

Looks like they still only have the cover from April in the PDF. Maybe they will add the rest of the issue later.

Quote Originally Posted by jelf
    Looks like they still only have the cover from April in the PDF. Maybe they will add the rest of the issue later.
    OK -- when you type it that way, it makes sense to me. When the other poster was saying "see" I thought to myself "all you can see are covers on that page."

I would suggest that the only way they will find out is if you let them know.

Low-Rise Member
    http://www.ebby.com/details/317246.html

Looks like Elizabeth Newman is still active in LH...

Skyscraper Member
    http://www.ebby.com/details/317246.html

Looks like Elizabeth Newman is still active in LH...
    Is it just me, or does the scale/proportion of that home just look wrong? The upstairs looks top heavy. The porch overhang covers a portion of the lower windows, then the upstairs windows have a bunch of open space due to the gable ends - add to that the steep roofline, and it really looks top heavy to me.

Brian

Zoinks! Who'd want a $750k+ home on GOFORTH CIRCLE??!!! Enjoy your view of the dump trucks and garbage trucks lumbering past your street, not to mention the noise & traffic on Goforth. I'm probably crazy, never mind...

Low-Rise Member
    I'm guessing that the houses to be built on Goforth/Bargiames will be up there, too.

I think that the most expensive house Newman had was the one on Vickery very close to the corner at Skillman, so maybe the noise doesn't bother them.

Quote Originally Posted by LH_Newbie
    Is it just me, or does the scale/proportion of that home just look wrong? The upstairs looks top heavy. The porch overhang covers a portion of the lower windows, then the upstairs windows have a bunch of open space due to the gable ends - add to that the steep roofline, and it really looks top heavy to me.

Brian
    You should take a drive there, as it's much more incongruous in person. The lot sits in a gully and the ground elevation is such that the 2nd floor windows actually look out at street level (like a normal living room window otherwise would). The good thing is that it's on the far street side of Goforth Circle, so it does not back onto the Goforth Rd "city truck route."

I am guessing that the ENCH brown brick house, next to the empty slab at WRT/Deer, must be close to that Goforth price-point, considering how big it is and the lot is longer. 7931 Eagle, which sold for 605k late last fall, is the most expensive ENCH home in WRV that I've heard of, till now.

If anyone told me 3 years ago that they would be building 3/4-million dollar houses around here, I would have had them committed.

Fred's Closing in LH

Just noticed this morning, the Fred's at Audelia & Walnut Hill in the old Drug Emporium space is closing.

Big surprise. NOT!

Low-Rise Member
    Looks like Fred's is mostly in small towns--I wonder what made them think that it would do well in Big-D.

Well, isn't LH supposed to be like a small town in the big city? I guess they bought into that.

Mid-Rise Member
    Not surprising at all about Fred's. I have heard a lot about the 'small town feel' of Lake Highlands recently. Specifically that it will be ruined by added density during the Shoreview rezoning discussions.

In other news at the Walnut Hill / Audelia intersection...
    1) I saw a contractor working on the inside of the old Pickins nursery/ Hog Wild bbq building. Hopefully the next business will last more than 6 months.
    2) Highlands Cafe has the best chicken fried steak I have ever eaten and I have eaten a few. The chicken fried steak is offered as a weekly special on Tuesdays. I highly recommend it.

Finally, I drove by the new Euromart location at Plano & Walnut Hill Friday night and the parking lot was packed. I was very glad to see that.

Skyscraper Member
    Drove by the LHTC property this morning - only half of one apartment building was left, and a piece of heavy machinery was having it's way with it. It's nice to see the true size of the overall property now.

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeRidge
    Finally, I drove by the new Euromart location at Plano & Walnut Hill Friday night and the parking lot was packed. I was very glad to see that.
    This is just way too close to my house now that I try to lose weight! Must Resist Temptation! They have this stocked:

So what, exactly, is that Euromart place? Last time I was by there I noticed they were getting a liquor license. Is it a grocery store or restaurant?

Mid-Rise Member
    Both

Lake Ridge Estates
    Kind of like Henk's back behind Half Price Books?

Low-Rise Member
    Kind of off topic:

I was driving into the neighborhood (from northwest highway/lawther/lanshire) today and saw some filming going on. I spoke to the Dallas Police officer and he said that Meatloaf, Ludacris and Tommy Lee are filming a commercial here (near White Rock Creek where people are always fishing).

Kind of off topic:

I was driving into the neighborhood (from northwest highway/lawther/lanshire) today and saw some filming going on. I spoke to the Dallas Police officer and he said that Meatloaf, Ludacris and Tommy Lee are filming a commercial here (near White Rock Creek where people are always fishing).
    They are filming at Kellers on Northwest Highway right now with a camera crane.

Does anyone know why the Bankston car dealership at NW Hwy and Abrams is empty. Are they moving.

Low-Rise Member
    I noticed that, too. I wonder what will be built there in its place, if anything.

Skyscraper Member
    I just saw over at Back Talk LH that the Lake Highlands PID was approved and will begin collection in 2009. One thing for certain, things are definitely going to be changing over the next couple years!

That Bankston location doesn't come up on their web site when searching by zip code...

Low-Rise Member
    That Bankston location doesn't come up on their web site when searching by zip code...
    you're right...Bankston Chevrolet is is shown to be on LBJ on their web site.

Steakley Chevrolet is on NW/Abrams and they will be moving out of that location. Sits on about 8 acres of land.

Thread Information