Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Lake Highlands: Projects + Construction | V3.0

Skyscraper Member
    Considering Europe's dire financial situation, I think using them as an example is not strengthening your case...

Quote Originally Posted by NTexUnited View Post
    Are they worried the trees would interfere with those high-mast power lines?? Those were the only type I saw in the article.
    Check out Street View of the park:
    32.888738,-96.732832
    or approx. 7779 Lemmonwood, 75231. You'll see a lower "neighborhood" power line that is being encroached upon by trees. Oncor is just following their "only trim once every 7 or 10 years" script.

Anyone know what's going to happen along White Rock Trail at Walnut Hill? Locators have marked utilities on the east side of White Rock Trail from Crestedge to Walnut Hill, and then on the south side of Walnut Hill going east from White Rock Trail.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
    Who is going to pay for that?
    The super wealthy who are currently being taxed at lesser rates than their secretaries. Obviously.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LH_Newbie View Post
    Considering Europe's dire financial situation, I think using them as an example is not strengthening your case...
    Buried power lines did not cause the European financial crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperITL View Post
    Duncan's hard liquor is still there. So is the chainsaw sharpening place.

TxDOT dragged their feet with the bridge and killed 3 businesses in the process. Part of Centennial's demise is due to Dallas going wet citywide and grocery stores on the other side of White Rock Creek carrying booze. New entrants to Dallas, Total Wine and Spec's smash Centennial to pieces with lower prices, more selection and nicer stores.
    Centennial Liquor is being replaced by Liquor Depot. Saw sign up and permits on door. Lake House appeared to be packed yesterday.

Metropolist-in-the-making jrd1964's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Gump View Post
    Centennial Liquor is being replaced by Liquor Depot. Saw sign up and permits on door.
    I'm guessing it's this Liquor Depot?? http://www.liquordepottexas.com/

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by incrediculous View Post
    Buried power lines did not cause the European financial crisis.
    No one individual thing did. It's cumulative. Fiscal irresponsibility. It's called learning to live within your means. If you can propose a method of paying for it - then let's talk. If your reasoning is that a bankrupt region did it, then my reply still stands.

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LH_Newbie View Post
    No one individual thing did. It's cumulative. Fiscal irresponsibility. It's called learning to live within your means. If you can propose a method of paying for it - then let's talk. If your reasoning is that a bankrupt region did it, then my reply still stands.
    Cut military spending by half, spend the money on infrastructure.

There. Done.

Frank Lloyd Wright Member
    Other than UK, the European Union spends very little on defense. They took your advice years ago and still went broke.

Quote Originally Posted by mjblazin View Post
    Other than UK, the European Union spends very little on defense. They took your advice years ago and still went broke.
    ...went broke or swindled?
    The mediator between the head and the hands must be the heart.

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjblazin View Post
    The EU is far from broke. Am I really the only one on here that understands that?

Can we please stay on topic, y'all.

Toscana-WhiteRockTrail Apartments on Skillman to be leveled soon, new construction to be completed by the end of 2014...

http://www.lakehighlandstoday.com/in...redevelopment/

This announcement has been in the paper for a month or so, but bundled and repackaged highlighting the better than most Dallas economy....

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...elopment.html/

By Steve Brown
    stevebrown@dallasnews.com
    6:09 am on February 22, 2013

...The 70-acre Lake Highlands Town Center is back on track with construction of the first apartments and retail building in the project on Skillman Avenue in northeast Dallas ... Prescott is still working on a major grocery anchor for the redevelopment and has other deals in the same neighborhood.
    There's still time for Prescott to refocus at least part of this development and turn it into something special, not just a closer-in, smaller version of Firewheel Town Center with different stores. Hindsight has been gifted to the LHTC and the opportunity to develop a truly unique gathering point and regional destination still exists. The mixed use "New Urbanist" design template recycled into the LHTC does little more than concentrate the suburban auto-centric experience. Interaction with the train station and bike/jogging/pedestrian trails continues to fail Greater Lake Highland area residents.
    The mediator between the head and the hands must be the heart.

HD Construction of the Lake Highlands Town Center Dallas, Texas Part 1

So over the next few years or however long it takes to finish the Lake Highlands Town Center, I will be uploading a video every few months of the construction progress like I do with Dallas Love Field and Houston Intercontinental Terminal B. This was taken on March 24, 2013. This shows the first apartment building and parking garage going up in the 90 acre Lake Highlands Town Center.

Make sure to watch it in HD

Tom Thumb at Skillman/Abrams is closing June 1... http://lakehighlands.advocatemag.com...humb-to-close/

Noteworthy comment... "Speculation about a new Tom Thumb moving in to the Town Center has died down in recent weeks, with Prescott Realty apparently favoring a smaller, boutique-style grocer and LH residents voicing overwhelming agreement."

wonderfully intersting open space areas within the eastern third of the property. great transition to the residential further east. city staff worked fairly hard to convince the developer to turn video signage away from residential along with other standards....some picked up by council when they voted.

Skyscraper Member
    Happy to see some decisions are getting made and movement happening. Sounds like the area will really show signs of change this summer. The old apts with of the town center are slated to start demo/reconstruction in June. The Tom Thumb at Skillman/Forest is slate to reopen with major renovations in June, also. Hopefully there will be further announcements from Prescott Realty about the LHTC property by then.

I wonder what the long term plans are for the corner at Skillman/Abrams. I would still love to see a horseshoe shaped medium rise complex with the opening toward the hike/bike trail with ground floor retail/restaurants with patio space also facing the hike/bike trail. Above that, residential or office. Dallas needs good restaurant pads with real patios NOT facing a parking lot...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LHmom View Post
    Tom Thumb at Skillman/Abrams is closing June 1... http://lakehighlands.advocatemag.com...humb-to-close/

Noteworthy comment... "Speculation about a new Tom Thumb moving in to the Town Center has died down in recent weeks, with Prescott Realty apparently favoring a smaller, boutique-style grocer and LH residents voicing overwhelming agreement."
    The Tom Thumb just up Skillman near Royal is being renovated so you have to think that would kill the idea of a tom Thumb at the Town Center, unless they are going to spend money to renovate one store and then open a brand new one 1.5 miles down the road.

IMO, a Market Street store would be perfect for that area. I don't know though if United is even considering in-town locations here, or just content to be in the suburbs and fringe.

Skyscraper Member
    http://lakehighlands.advocatemag.com...ake-highlands/

Movement on the 37 new single-family lots to be built upon at the South-West corner of Church and Skillman. This is adjacent to my neighborhood, so I'm happy to see something finally happening with that land. It will be very interesting to see what the starting prices are. Any guesses? Considering my tax appraisal increase, the comparable sales in my neighborhood, I am going to venture a guess that new construction will start in the $150/sq ft range... so homes will probably start around $450K. Maybe higher? I really don't want my taxes to go up, but it is nice to see additional owners in this area of Lake Highlands.

Now if we can just get those zero-lot-line homes to get started on the LHTC property also. Lake Highlands needs more people committed to the area - and home ownership seems a good way to get longer-term commitments. Speaking of the LHTC property, phase one has been making steady (not fast by any means) progress. It appears the roof line of phase one is a flat roof with the wall capped by a crown molding (for lack of the actual terms, this is the best way I can describe it). I'm a little disappointed in that particular decision - as it doesn't seem to fit in with the neighborhood, but the roof line doesn't make or break the development.

Brian

TimberCreek - New Bank

Looks like we have another bank. Not a bad thing I guess, but a potbelly would have been ideal.
    6161 retail road across from the Bank of America in the TimberCreek center will be a Capital One bank as identified on the construction permit. Construction start: April 13 , completion 10-15-2013.

I drop my wife off at the LH DART station every weekday morning and noticed dump truck crews and a bulldozer clearing out a field just to the south of the DART bus stop this week. Any ideas what they might be making way for? The new apartment complex across Kingsley is coming along nicely.

Skyscraper Member
    I believe the original plans were for that field to be the highest density of apartments - if memory serves me... 5 stories and a parking structure, since these are the units that have direct access to the DART rail. Is it possible that this portion got funding and Prescott has not made an announcement yet?

HD Construction of the Lake Highlands Town Center Dallas, Texas Part 2 April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mdmost View Post
    I drop my wife off at the LH DART station every weekday morning and noticed dump truck crews and a bulldozer clearing out a field just to the south of the DART bus stop this week. Any ideas what they might be making way for? The new apartment complex across Kingsley is coming along nicely.
    It is just where Prescott is dumping the excess dirt from the housing project on Church and Skillman.

HD Construction of the Lake Highlands Town Center Dallas, Texas Part 2 April 2013

This is part two of the construction at the Lake Highlands Town Center. This was taken the last week of April. At 4:50 is the close up of the construction of the building. The start of the video shows the amphitheater, lake, bike trail, and parks which are all part of the development. The making a good pit of progress on the building. So over the next few years or however long it takes to finish the Lake Highlands Town Center, I will be uploading a video every few months of the construction progress. This is a project I worked on for a few years. This was taken on April 28, 2013. This shows the first apartment building and parking garage going up in the 90 acre Lake Highlands Town Center in Lake Highlands area of Dallas, Texas.

Make sure to watch it in HD

I have been meaning to post this for a while.

Here is an update of the Lake Highlands Town Center. The apartments are called Haven at Lake Highlands.

There will be a video update soon of the outside and inside of this development.
    Last edited by CO777DAL; 04 October 2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added last photo

Skyscraper Member ChampionDallas's Avatar
    Not crazy about the cheap siding in pic four. However, it's great to see Lake Highlands get the ball rolling.

Skyscraper Member
    It seems this project is moving a bit quicker as of late. It was being built for a while at glacial speed at best.

Demolition of the two apartment complexes south of the Lake Highlands Town center are almost done (yesterday, there was only the shell of one building left - all others had been abated and demolished). Since these two properties are residential only, I suspect they will be built a little quicker. Having a solid base of higher quality product in this stretch of Skillman should help to anchor a mid level socio-economic demographic in Lake Highlands - something that has sorely been missing (I've stated for quite some time that the apartments are full of the working poor, probably in the sub $25K level; then the single family homes are affluent - my guess is $100K+ household income level). Filling in the middle is going to dramatically help the retail/restaurants all up/down Skillman and the surrounding area. Knock on wood my prediction is correct.

Brian

HD Overview & Construction of the Lake Highlands Town Center Dallas, Texas Part 3 Oct

First Interior look at the development is in this video.

HD Overview & Construction of the Lake Highlands Town Center Dallas, Texas Part 3 October 2013

This is part two of the construction at the Lake Highlands Town Center. This was taken the September and October of 2013. This video also shows an overview of the entire project and you will be able to see how large this project is. Parts were also taken during the Lake Highlands Oktoberfest. At 1:00 is the Lake Highlands DART Station. You will even see the Lake Highlands Wranglers prefom at 4:12. At 8:35 you will be able to see the first video of the inside of the units at the Haven at lake Highlands. So over the next few years or however long it takes to finish the Lake Highlands Town Center, I will be uploading a video every few months of the construction progress. This is a project I worked on for a few years. The Lake Highlands Town Center is a 90 acre in Lake Highlands area of Dallas, Texas.

Make sure to watch in HD.
    Last edited by CO777DAL; 08 October 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Skyscraper Member
    Quick update on "Bordeaux of Lake Highlands" (based on my observations of living adjacent to this project):

- It appears most utilities are substantially completed at this point - gas, electric and water.
    - Final grading for a good number of lots has been completed.
    - Most, if not all, of the retaining walls (and there are a TON of them in this subdivision) are completed - including a pond at the South-East corner used as what appears to be a storm water buffer
    - Foundations for a perimeter fence have been started along the North side, bordering Church Road

Utility work took a bit longer than I had thought. I'm going to push out my estimate for roads to be started from Oct into November, but I definitely think we're on target to see the first homes to get started before Christmas. My daughter and I recently walked through the neighborhood and the lots seem quite nice. The lot that's at Southern most portion at the Western corner (not by the existing alley, but the one that butts up to the existing homes in the cul-de-sac on Fairglen Drive - seems a VERY nice lot with very nice trees in the back. Probably the best lot in the neighborhood in my opinion. It's definitely going to be a nice addition to the area and bring some much needed disposable income to that corner, helping to bolster the demand for quality retail/restaurants.

Brian

Looks like the Haven has the potential to be a nice community. Just hope the owners have the wherewithal to stand their ground on the rents. If they cave, the entire town center project could be irretrievably lost.

Skyscraper Member
    The owners (and majority equity partners for the entire LHTC project) are based in Austin. So they have a vested interest in doing what is right for the whole project, not just the immediate short-term needs of running a single apartment complex in the middle of "someone else's" project. That structure gives me hope that this while project will be successful. Knock on wood!

Katy Trail Extension Phase 3 & 4 project Update (Minus Mockingbird Bridge)

Per the City of Dallas - [Public Works Department]

Katy Trail Extension Phase 3: (We anticipate the contractor to complete the trail by January 2014.)
    The project limits are from the intersection of McKinney Ave. & McCommas Blvd. to the intersection of Ellsworth Ave. & North U.S. 75 Service Road and from 4420 Worcola St. to intersection of Skillman St. & Sandhurst Ln. To date, the contractor has constructed concrete trail pavement from the intersection of McKinney Ave. & McCommas Blvd. to the intersection of Ellsworth Ave. & North U.S. 75 Service Road and from 4420 Worcola St. to under Greenville Bridge. There is no pedestrian bridge proposed to go over Greenville Bridge instead the trail will go under the bridge. Due to Oncor Electric Delivery Co. (Oncor) delay in providing the City with an easement to construct the trail through their properties at 4500 and 4530 Greenville Ave., the Cityís contractor temporary suspended work until an easement was given. This past June, Oncor finally gave the City the required easement to construct the trail. Currently, the City is working with the contractor to start work again. We anticipate the contractor to complete the trail by January 2014.

Katy Trail Extension Phase 4: (We anticipate to complete the trail by February 2014)
    The project limit is from Skillman St. to the DARTís White Rock Rail Station. This project included four (4) pedestrian bridges that spanned over Skillman St., Abrams Rd., Rush Creek, and one to connect the trail down to Union Pacificís abandoned railroad bed (Veloway). Currently, the contractor has installed the pedestrian bridge over Rush Creek and is working on the Veloway. Due to Oncor requiring the City to acquire the right-of-way for the bridges over Skillman St. and Abram Rd., the City is working with Oncor to acquire the necessary right-of-way. We anticipate to acquire the necessary right-of-way from Oncor by the middle of November this year. Afterward, the contractor will proceed with installation of the pedestrian bridges over Skillman St. and Abrams Rd. To date, the contractor has completed the concrete trail pavement from Skillman St. to Ridgewood Park minus the two pedestrian bridges; from the Union Pacificís abandoned railroad bed to DARTís White Rock Station along Northwest Highway. We anticipate to complete the trail by February 2014.

Lake Highlands residents want to rename Plano rd to Lake Highlands Dr.

Lake Highlands residents want to rename Plano rd to Lake Highlands Dr.

I think it's a good idea. Never made much sense to change the name at Northwest Highway. What will be odd thou is that a past intersection would be in the history books. Plano and Kingsley which will now be Lake Highlands and Walnut Hill. I can't remember the last time two major roads were renamed as same intersection.

Skyscraper Member
    I never understood why people want road names changed. It's tough on the businesses, as they have to update all marketing materials and it causes confusion for years.

On a different note, another quick observation on "Bordeaux of Lake Highlands"... I saw some equipment moving dirt/leveling the roads mid/late last week...

Quote Originally Posted by CO777DAL View Post
    I can't remember the last time two major roads were renamed as same intersection.
    The only Dallas reference I could come up with was Malcolm X/Martin Luther King (Oakland/Forest Ave.)

Beyond that, locally (AFA one I would remember) would be Legacy/Independence in Plano (Carpenter Rd./Armstrong Pkwy.), but anyone knowing that would have to be a longtime Plano resident (or someone who, ummm, might have lived there quite a while ago ).

Skyscraper Member
    Bordeaux of Lake Highlands (N/W corner of Skillman & Church Road) update: Yesterday, as I drove home from work, I saw the stone/brick walls starting to be put up on the North perimeter facing Church Road. Permanent road repairs on Church Road also - where they tied in some utilities and had to dig a channel through the road. Within the subdivision, they're continuing to work on what appears to be near final grading on all lots and prepping to put in the roads. As I see progress, I'll continue to post.

Skyscraper Member
    Late last week, I saw one of those large, wide vehicles used to pour roads on site @ Bordeaux of Lake Highlands site. Looks like roads will get put in relatively soon.

Skyscraper Member
    UPDATE: Most of the perimeter fence is complete; streets have re-bar throughout. Hoping to see concrete poured be end of next week!!!

Skyscraper Member
    Update on Bordeaux of Lake Highlands: roads are going in; all rebar is complete; concrete pouring has begun.

It was night time the last two nights on my way home from work - so I couldn't tell how far the concrete was poured, but I did see streets + curbs while driving by on Church Road. It's amazing just how much definition this brings to a neighborhood when it's not all dirt and it starts to get it's road infrastructure put in place. Will we see the first housing starts in January?!

anyone know why the Big Lots at the intersection of Skillman & Abrams is closing? there is a 7-11 that has been shuddered as well. I know that corner looks rough and the liquor stores make the feel depressing so I hope a new tenant is coming in. Or better yet- a new development.

Quote Originally Posted by noelamador View Post
    anyone know why the Big Lots at the intersection of Skillman & Abrams is closing? there is a 7-11 that has been shuddered as well. I know that corner looks rough and the liquor stores make the feel depressing so I hope a new tenant is coming in. Or better yet- a new development.
    7-Eleven there was operated at a loss for a couple years and was closed as a result. Same with the other businesses that have closed there over the last couple years. I think when the Chili's at Meadow and Greenville closed they gave the most politically correct answer, "a changing demographic".

Supertall Skyscraper Member
    I think when the Chili's at Meadow and Greenville closed they gave the most politically correct answer, "a changing demographic".
    Which I always found odd since when I've visited the Chili's near a friend's house in Oak Cliff off I-30/Cockrell Hill and the one off 183 in Irving...they're both packed full of that "demographic".

Skyscraper Member
    I suspect that corner will struggle for some time before it gets scraped. With the Haven @ the town center being built + the other apartments south of the town center (just north of this intersection) being built - it will be a little while before the socio-economic demographics along that strip change. That data takes a while to show up in demographic reports for retailers. It'll be another 5 years before that particular corner gets any sort of momentum for change. The Tom Thumb space is empty, the Siegels space is empty also. That corner has a high vacancy rate. That corner overall probably has too much retail space anyhow (especially since the town center will be adding more), so it might be nice to see the Big Lot side get converted back to single family residential (considering there has been a couple of these sort of revert-to-residential changes in LH already).

I still think the corner that used to house Tom Thumb has a lot of potential, since it backs up to the trail. It just needs to be scraped and restarted, with ground floor restaurants having patio space facing the trail/green space/trees. Potential to be some of the best restaurant patio space in all of Dallas, since it would NOT have a parking lot or street to look at... and it'd be on the North side of the building (meaning lots of summertime shade).

Brian

Update from Per the City of Dallas - [Public Works Department]

Unfortunately, Oncor has not given the City the need right-of-way for the trail pedestrian bridge at Skillman Street and Abram Road.
    We hope close on the right-of-way by the end of this month.
    If all go as planned, we hope to complete the trail by June this year.

^ Almost certain that the bridge spans sitting in a field directly across Northwest Highway from Flag Pole Hill are supposed to be installed over Abrams or Skillman.

Rather impossible to believe that the city and ONCOR cannot get on the same page with this.

Quote Originally Posted by krockech View Post
    Update from Per the City of Dallas - [Public Works Department]

Unfortunately, Oncor has not given the City the need right-of-way for the trail pedestrian bridge at Skillman Street and Abram Road.
    We hope close on the right-of-way by the end of this month.
    If all go as planned, we hope to complete the trail by June this year.
    Yes, Above is for the Katy Trail Phase IV (MB Station to WRL) . My earlier post stated that the Trail was to be connected all they way to Mockingbird Station by Feb 2014...(minus the MB Katy Trail Bridge - Scheduled End of 2015).... I hear about Dallas wanting to do the trinity projects, new lakes, new trinity trails, etc and I think to myself if the city can't get their ducks lined up for 5 miles of trail, how are they going to pull off those projects. This is just crazy...

^ Almost certain that the bridge spans sitting in a field directly across Northwest Highway from Flag Pole Hill are supposed to be installed over Abrams or Skillman.

Rather impossible to believe that the city and ONCOR cannot get on the same page with this.
    Yeah, I have been watching those bridges sit there.. Happy that they exist (which make the finishing of the trail a real possibility), but unhappy they have no home. It is embarrassing from an outsiders view to have a project like this take so long and get no where month after month, year after year. My question is, who has the power to make things happen? Dallas City Councilman\woman? Or is this just bureaucracy at its best?

Quote Originally Posted by krockech View Post
    who has the power to make things happen? Dallas City Councilman\woman? Or is this just bureaucracy at its best?
    City council is part of the problem. Single-member-districts mean there is a whole lot of "your project doesn't benefit my district" to go around. Which means lots of mutual-back-scratching and back-room deals are required to get anything done.

As far as Oncor goes, who knows what's up with them. They're already hated by everyone, all the city would need to do would be to call up a local TV investigative reporter and say, "hey, Oncor is blocking a trail project, bring the heat" ...

Skyscraper Member
    Quick update on LH projects:

Haven = construction fencing is down, outside looks to be complete. Signage is all up - web site is http://www.havenlakehighlands.com/ - it appears they're taking applications for residents at this point, though I haven't stopped in or called to confirm. Looks quite nice, though would be nice to have the rest of that street built-out so it didn't feel like such an island. Still no announcements regarding retail for any of the LHTC properties.

Apartment south of Haven = tons of concrete work. Most foundations are poured; surface parking started. We should see framing start sometime next month, which will help me understand the design. Looks ho-hum considering they did surface parking and ditched the parking structure nestled inside the building (I really like this, as you can live on the 2nd or 3rd floor and park ON YOUR FLOOR. Seems a huge benefit. Haven has this parking configuration.

Bordeaux of Lake Highlands (single-family residential at Church/Skillman) - roads complete, sidewalks along Skillman/Church in progress - I would estimate 80% complete. I'm not sure if there will be sidewalks within the subdivision - or if that will be put in as part of each home that gets built (since they're front-entry, they would have to rip out a lot of sidewalks to pour the driveway, so it seems to make sense to install them AFTER each home is built). I see a few lots with stakes in them... not sure if they have been sold to builders yet, but it is looking as if builders are getting ready to start construction on single-family homes.

I think that covers my observations from the last month. Hope you enjoy! I have had fun seeing the neighborhood construction, hoping to see a lot more over the next 5 years!

Brian

Thread Information