Thread: Flower Mound: River Walk at Central Park

Mid-Rise Member

Flower Mound: River Walk at Central Park

Pretty exciting development in a huge tract of undeveloped land right in the center of Mound. The south end of this land is where United Market Street tried to build a grocery store last year but could not placate the town's environmental concerns. That same slice of property was threatening to kill this project as well, until the developer came back with some amendments that appear to have won the town over. This project now looks to have a very good shot of passing now.

Project Website at www.flower-mound.com

http://www.flower-mound.com/riverwalk/

Original Article

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.36cba73.html

Development plan for Flower Mound's downtown would unite two aspects of cityowntown project is a cross between Southlake, San Antonio

Saturday, November 24, 2007
    By JAY PARSONS / The Dallas Morning News
    jparsons@dallasnews.com

Developer Cole McDowell's sketches for a proposed 168-acre downtown Flower Mound depict everything this upper-class suburb is not. A river walk surrounded by shops and restaurants in a town with strip centers and horse-trodden walking trails. A 10-story building in a suburb with only a handful of structures taller than two stories. And 1,800 condos or apartments in a town lukewarm to multifamily housing. Mr. McDowell's Flower Mound looks more like an amalgamated Southlake and San Antonio. "It'd be a very unique space and something I think the town would be very proud of," said Mr. McDowell's architect, Michael Swartz, who also designed Southlake Town Square and the West Village in Uptown Dallas.

FM2499 – the road that would be the project's grand entryway – divides Flower Mound, which is nearing 50 percent build-out at 65,000 residents. To the east are traditional subdivisions and strip centers built before the town put tight restrictions on development. To the west are acre-plus estates, horse ranches and golf courses. Mr. McDowell's project would bring those two sides together in a way that resembles neither. "It is so exciting," Mayor Jody Smith said. "It would be like a keystone to our community, a destination. It's what our constituents have been asking for."

At a presentation last month, residents and town officials gushed over Mr. McDowell's preliminary sketches, which don't outline specific building uses or provide estimated costs. But the project still faces a number of hurdles. Flower Mound has a reputation for scaring off developers because of its restrictive regulations. Last winter, the Town Council refused to approve a much smaller shopping center on the south end of the same property, in part because of concerns about compromising the area's natural environment.

Mr. McDowell then bought the property, known as the Forums. He's already brought in at least one tenant. Last month, he indicated that Presbyterian Hospital had signed a contract to build a full-service medical center at the west entrance. Town leaders applauded the signing, but their eagerness for the development will be tested by their willingness to greenlight numerous changes to town rules.

'Many pieces'

The project would require changing the town's master plan, and such a move must win a majority vote from the council. It would also require policy changes on tree preservation, zoning, floodplains, multifamily housing and building height limits, among other things. "One of the challenges is there are so many pieces to this," said Doug Powell, the town's planning and development director. "It's so big – in terms of number of acres, types of uses." Ms. Smith acknowledged the hurdles but said she was confident all could be overcome. "It's got an excellent chance of actually happening, and I think it's great for the town," town planning commissioner Dennis McKaige said. "If we all want it to happen, we all should work on it expeditiously."

Mr. McDowell's supporters extend to the Forums Homeowners Association, whose homes border the proposed project. Mr. McDowell promised a 130-foot nature buffer. "We're very excited about having a central business district," said Jim Robertson, president of the Forums homeowner board. "I've seen what Cole has developed [at other sites], and he has a lot of horsepower to come through and give us a quality development."

Town leaders said their familiarity with Mr. McDowell helps. He is a longtime Flower Mound resident who also developed Parker Square, a miniature Southlake Town Square that has become popular for office space but has struggled to attract enough traffic for retailers and restaurants. "What this town is missing is a center, something to identify the town with," Mr. McDowell told town leaders in a meeting last month. "I did Parker Square, but, to be candid, Parker Square is a neighborhood center, not a town center."

1,800 units possible

Mr. McDowell said the Forums development could include 1,800 residential units – condos, apartments or townhouses. "The problem with Parker Square, besides the size of it – there's no 24-hour life to it," he said. "The residential component is important." The property is zoned for multifamily housing, but Town Manager Harlan Jefferson said current regulations would allow for only 1,120 units. The council would have to approve a higher number.

Tree removal and building height are also likely to draw some debate. Mr. McDowell said one building – possibly residential – could be 10 or 11 stories tall. "Ten stories would be really pushing the envelope out here, and people would say, 'Ah, that's too big,' " planning commissioner Tom Goss said. "People don't want large buildings looming over their neighborhoods." Mr. Robertson said he was assured the line of sight would not go into his neighborhood.

Mr. McDowell is expected to submit a concept plan in January, beginning the public approval process that could take about six months. It could take another five years before the project is complete. He did confirm that he would reserve some space on the south end near FM1171 for a municipal complex that could include a new town hall, something officials have long desired. Ms. Smith and other town officials said they preferred a more central location within the project. "There are hurdles, but none that cannot be solved," Ms. Smith said.

Who is the multi- family developer and are they trying to rezone for more units? Anyone with contacts to the developer?

Kitty Pie :angel:

Yeah! Is it just me, or are all these town centere mixed-use things just getting a bit stale? I look and want to be excited by this, expecially with the river thing, but man, it's like you can take any rendering and copy paste to the next one.

Mid-Rise Member
    everything I have read, points toward this project failing... I need to find a link to the local paper... can't remember what its called though.

Super Moderator
    Renderings look beautiful, though.
    Times weighs down on you like an old, ambiguous dream. You keep on moving, trying to slip through it. But even if you go to the ends of the earth, you won't be able to escape it.
    Haruki Murakami

Mid-Rise Member
    ok.... here is an updated article.

http://www.planostar.com/articles/20...r/news/2fm.txt

One day after listening to 12 variance requests for a gas drilling site to be allowed on his property get denied, Cole McDowell was able to celebrate with a small fist pump Thursday.

In perhaps the more important vote in terms of the progress of The River Walk at Central Park, the Parks, Arts and Leisure Services (PALS) Board unanimously agreed on revisions McDowell and his development team made regarding the parks portion of the project.

PALS will recommend approval to Flower Mound’s Planning and Zoning Commission at a future date. At that point, the development team will look for a recommendation from planning and zoning to the town council.

The recommendation comes after PALS voted to table the issue March 13 because of tree and floodplain questions.

“We think that we’ve addressed the concerns of the other boards,” said Bobby Dollak, who joined McDowell in presenting the new revisions. “We’re optimistically hopeful that planning and zoning will embrace the project and recommend it to the town council.”

One of the big changes PALS members were enthusiastic about was the creation of a land trust. With the proposal, $275 per 1,800 living units would go to a land trust, which would allow the town to buy land for future preservation. Also, $425 per 1,800 units would go to the parks fund, and $688 per 1,800 units would go to Central Business District park improvements. Originally, $1,300 per unit was set to be put back into the project.

“I like the land trust,” said board member Karl Drescher, Jr. “The town doesn’t have one. It’s not done overnight, so we need to work toward that for future projects.”

Members also liked the 4.59 acres of open space that is being preserved in the retail area on the southern end of the property, which comes into an ancient old growth forest. The first plan had very little space preserved.

The tree preservation was another favorable point to the board, as McDowell said he will save 474 trees, replant 3,112 trees and remove 2,050 trees. And, according to the current tree ordinance, 14 specimen trees on the southern end of the property and 23 overall would be saved.

“We have a developer who wants to team with us,” said board chair Michael McCall. “He keeps coming back, keeps coming back to make it better. The compromise is outstanding. I don’t like to lose trees, but if we can take the money from this effort and apply it to other areas with a forest, we need to go after it.”

The vote also allows the developer to provide park maintenance at Timber Trails Park and gives approval for a mitigation plan.

The only difference between the presentation to the PALS board and the Environmental Conservation Commission (ECC) from earlier in the month was the amount of parkland donated to the town. With Wednesday’s denial of variances for a gas drilling site, 3.79 acres of parkland that was to be dedicated and added to the existing Timber Trails Park has been eliminated.

“If we have to move the pad site to another location on the property, whatever loss we’ll have in retail with the move we’ll put back up there,” Dollak said.

Mid-Rise Member
    Cole McDowell is the developer. He has the advantage of trust, because of his previous major development in Flower Mound at Parker Square. Although Parker Square never fulfilled it's promise of becoming the retail hub of Flower Mound, it is a very nice retail and office development which has added a lot of value to the town's main entrance on 1171. It just was not big enough to replicate what Southlake did with their development.

However, the River Walk development is going to sit on a piece of land bigger than Southlake's, with a very large park at the North End that will have a trail running through it that will incorporate into Flower Mound's existing trail system (very nice by the way and growing).

Even though he is having difficulty with the mineral rights and drilling part of it, it appears the rest of the development has a clear path.

Mid-Rise Member

River Walk passes major hurdle

http://www.flowermoundleader.com/art...ng_news/28.txt

Flower Mound: Council approval on rezoning takes River Walk project to next phase

The application for a major development that would soon be known as The River Walk at Central Park first crossed the desks of town staff in the last week of December. At 12:49 a.m. Tuesday, a vote by the Flower Mound Town Council officially made it a reality.

The council unanimously voted, 5-0, on three items that will amend current development standards and thus bring to town a 158-acre project that council members and residents proclaimed as being Flower Mound’s true downtown. The council approved a request for an amendment to the land use plan to allow mixed-use development, a request for an amendment to land development regulations by creating the Central Business District as a new zoning district, and a rezoning request from Planned Development, Unit 2 to Central Business District. The River Walk will be located north of FM 1171 and between FM 2499 and Morriss Road. With that, Flower Mound has the means to have the type of development many residents have wanted but have had to go to other communities to experience.

“I’m a fan of mixed use,” said deputy mayor pro tem Joel Lindsey. “I think when you walk into mixed use developments, you really see communities come together. I enjoy, probably more than the retail, watching people interact with each other. We don’t encourage community interaction with the residential areas that we have now.” Lindsey said he has seen that, however, at Southlake Town Center. “I get frustrated,” Lindsey said. “I’ll be standing in line at Starbucks, and I’ll overhear people say, ‘We’re heading over to Southlake to have dinner,’ or ‘We’re going to Southlake to go shopping.’ I think it’s their town center that makes (Southlake) unique.”

Other council members echoed Lindsey’s thoughts on the need for a true downtown. “We have the potential to give Flower Mound not only a downtown, but also a sense of place,” said mayor pro tem Tim Trotter. “A sense of community, that, in my heart, I feel like everyone who lives in this town has desperately wanted.”

In addressing the concerns about taking on the project that required an amendment to the master plan, council members said The River Walk’s benefits are worth it. “Sometimes you have to change the master plan to make the town stronger,” Lindsey said, adding that the master plan had allowed for 1,100 apartments at the location. “If we get a better product by changing it, then we need to consider it.”

Council members still voiced their concern over certain aspects of the project. Trotter, Lindsey and Al Filidoro, for example, stressed the importance of having national retail come to The River Walk and not limit the tenants to local and regional. Members also asked about issues that had concerned residents, such as the effects of constructing Saturn Pond on the south end of the property.

However, as one resident reminded everyone in the audience, Monday’s vote was on zoning and not the individual details of the project itself. Filidoro stressed to the development team to still address those types of concerns in the near future. Residents expressed other concerns as well, such as insufficient buffers along Saturn Street, which runs along side the southwest portion of The River Walk, as well as tree preservation, increased traffic and changing the master plan. But like the planning and zoning meeting a week earlier, those who attended the meeting to show support outnumbered those who spoke against The River Walk by a large margin. Thirty-one people spoke in favor of The River Walk, and six spoke against it.

The Presbyterian hospital, increased tax revenue, which is expected to be $5.5 million at build-out, and a place for the community to unite were among the reasons they said they supported it. The next step in the process will be replatting the property and getting a site plan for the hospital approved by town council. Both are expected to be put on an upcoming planning and zoning agenda.

“I’ve embraced the Central Business District because I think it’s an asset to the community,” Mayor Jody Smith said. “And since we started talking about it in January, I’ve been supportive of the River Walk. I’m proud of how the staff, boards and commissions have put forth their ideas. This was a major first step.”

Quotes from the council

Jody Smith, mayor: “After 14 public meetings, I’ve never seen the town give and take so much. And we’re just at Step 1.”

Jean Levenick, council member: “If you never amend the master plan, that’s being short-sighted.”

Joel Lindsey, council member: “I support the master plan, and I will always protect it. But, it is a guide. And it is not perfect.”

Tim Trotter, council member: “While we have that traffic flow going through (on FM 2499), why don’t we get some of the out-of-towners to stop and shop Flower Mound?”

Jeff Tasker, council member: “Think about how silly the notion is that you can’t amend the master plan.”

Al Filidoro, council member: “There comes a time where there has to be a leap of faith.”

Work to start next month on mixed-use project in Flower Mound
    10:54 PM CDT on Thursday, September 11, 2008
    By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
    stevebrown@dallasnews.com
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.18a9901.html

A developer plans to break ground next month in Flower Mound on an ambitious mixed-use project that will include a hospital, apartments and shopping space.

The River Walk at Central Park is being touted as a centerpiece for the fast-growing Denton County city.

"We know that at the end of the day it will essentially create a new downtown for Flower Mound," said developer Bill Resch, senior vice president of Five Star Real Estate. "It will have a river walk right through the middle of the project and a five-acre central park."

The 160-acre development is at the intersection of Cross Timbers and Long Prairie roads.

Initial construction will include a 180,000-square-foot Presbyterian Hospital to be built by Texas Health Resources. It's scheduled to open in 2010.

The hospital alone is expected to cost more than $100 million.

"In conjunction with that, we'll be building a medical office building of roughly 100,000 square feet," Mr. Resch said. "And as part of Phase 1, we are going to build about 300 luxury apartment units.

"It's going to be a pretty unique project."

Five Star Real Estate has been working on the River Walk project for about a year. Last month, the developer received final planning approval from Flower Mound.

A 675,000-square-foot shopping center and two hotels are also included in the development.

"We believe that with the hospital coming on line and with the nature of this project, we will be able to attract some very nice retail," Mr. Resch said. "It will change the whole dynamics of the market out there."

Zoning allows for more than 1 million square feet of office space, 1,100 condos and apartments, 150 townhomes and 250 hotel rooms.

"People will be able to live there, shop there and work there," Mr. Resch said. "It will become the center of this community."

River Walk is the latest in a series of North Texas projects done by Five Star Real Estate.

"We have quite a few residential developments as well as Parker Square [also in Flower Mound] and Frisco Square," Mr. Resch said.

Land and hold short Route Pack Six's Avatar
    Ground breaking for the hospital at this development is supposed to be tomorrow.

Mid-Rise Member
    Hospital remains on schedule for early 2010 opening
    By Chris Roark, roarkc@acnpapers.com
    Published: Friday, September 18, 2009 1:36 PM CDT

http://www.flowermoundleader.com/art...er/news/63.txt

Tucked behind a family of trees that lines the eastern part of FM 2499 is the gradual progression of one of Flower Mound's most anticipated developments. Presbyterian Hospital of Flower Mound will be one of the centerpieces for the River Walk at Central Park.

Cindy Slaydon, senior vice president of clinical operations and development for Texas Health Partners, said construction of the hospital is on schedule to open at the end of the first quarter of 2010. Wendell Watson, director of public relations for Texas Health Resources, said the project is more than halfway complete. Among the components that have been completed are the basic site work including paving and fire lanes, foundation, steel erection, floor decking and concrete. Currently, the drywall is being installed, as well as the ductwork. The hospital is on schedule to be climate controlled and air conditioned in October, which is also when permanent power is expected to be available. Once the building is air conditioned, the facility's interior work will begin.

Slaydon said frequent rain, especially in the early part of the summer, made construction tricky. "We've had tornadic-type activity, we've had I don't know how many days of rain, but we're still on schedule for the first quarter of 2010," Slaydon said. "We've had some issues with the rain, so we've had to adjust our schedule. What was interesting was that it would rain for two days, then we'd get it dry, then it would rain again. So it was this intermittent stuff that kept our schedule fluctuating. Fortunately, we've been able to bring enough manpower on to continue with the schedule and continue working pretty aggressively."

While many projects in the country have been affected by the economy, Slaydon said the hospital hasn't been one of them. "The economy has actually helped us some because of our scheduling issues with the rain," Slaydon said. "We've been able to mobilize more subcontractors because the economy has shifted, and there aren't as many projects going on. Whereas in the past, we might have had trouble mobilizing the number of staff to make up for the number of days of rain." Slaydon said the economy has also helped in terms of purchasing products at a lower price. "It's all about timing, because if it had been early on in the project and we had not finalized the funding and everything that was necessary, we could have had some problems," Slaydon said.

The hospital will feature 103 patient rooms, though the building can increase to more than 200 rooms. It will also include an emergency department and a wide range of medical services, including services for women and children. The hospital is expected to provide between 500 and 600 jobs by its third year of operation, and it is the first to be constructed of several components of the River Walk at Central Park, a 158-acre project that is expected to include a hospital, townhomes, a hotel, restaurants, retail and more. The site plan for the River Walk was approved by the Flower Mound Town Council in August of 2008.

"The town has really exceeded our expectations as to how quickly they turned things around and how much manpower they have put on this to make sure we meet our timeline on this," Slaydon said. "They've been very open to working with us one-on-one and as a group. I can't say enough about the town and their support for getting this facility open. Especially considering this is the first one they've done."

Mid-Rise Member
    Link to the Flower Mound Presby website, they have some pretty nice construction progress photos....

http://www.phfmtexas.com/

Here's the approved site plan for the overall development:
    http://www.flower-mound.com/riverwal...ncept_plan.pdf

Mid-Rise Member
    Not surprisingly, the River Walk is not proceeding as fast as predicted in 2007/2008. Most interesting thing out of this article to me was the blurb about United Market Street still being in talks to build a store at the south end of the development. If this were to occur, it would be a huge engine for the rest of the development, IMO.

http://www.flowermoundleader.com/art...r/news/932.txt

The Flower Mound Town Council is expected to vote on a rezoning request and a site plan Monday for The River Walk at Central Park Apartments.

For now, the apartments and Presbyterian Hospital of Flower Mound are the only definite aspects of the project, which is set to be located north of FM 1171 and between FM 2499 and Morriss Road. According to the March foreclosure list provided by Chicago Title Company in Lewisville, two sections of the 158-acre property – totaling 149 acres – have been in foreclosure. The acreage containing the apartments and the hospital are not included in that.

Mayor Jody Smith said the project’s future isn’t necessarily jeopardized. “I’ve had discussions with the people involved in the River Walk, and they have no plans to go through with the foreclosure,” Smith said. “There are entities interested in the opportunity of pursing the property in the River Walk. And that’s good news.” Smith said all of the pieces have been put in place for the River Walk, which would benefit anyone who purchases the property. For example, the zoning is approved to include mixed use features, and all of the entitlements for the project have been approved. Smith also said the town is still in talks with bringing Market Street to the development.

One piece of the River Walk that has been listed for foreclosure is the area for the medical office buildings. The other piece includes everything else, which had been expected to give Flower Mound its first true jewel. In addition to the hospital and apartments, the River Walk is expected to include a hotel, restaurants, offices, residential units, a central park, retail and a river walk amenity.

The town went through a long process before the project was approved in the fall of 2008 and even created a Central Business District zoning for the project. The project brought out many members of the community. Many supported the project for what it could provide for the town. Others weren’t as supportive, saying it went against the town’s master plan and SMARTGrowth, a guide that translates the views of the town’s master plan into development criteria.

Months after approval of the River Walk, the town found itself debating another issue that had ties to the development. The council voted to approve the Morriss/Gerault Road expansion last year, and among many reasons town officials cited for the expansion’s need was the incoming River Walk project.

When asked what impact a foreclosed River Walk would have on the Morriss/Gerault expansion, town officials said some phases would be impacted, and some would not. “There was no link between the Phase 1 improvements to Morriss/Gerault and the early phases of the River Walk project since the intersection/safety improvements, as well as the two additional lanes on Gerault Road, were needed,” said town spokesman Michael Ryan. Ryan went on to say, “Phase 2, which is the extra two lanes on Morriss, are partially tied to the River Walk project. One of the triggers for Phase 2 was the completion of the River Walk amenity. Phase 2 could be delayed by town council directive if the River Walk does not proceed as planned. The other trigger identified for Phase 2 was that the project would begin no later than fiscal year 2014-15. These triggers were established by resolution. Whether the start date will be extended past the 2014-15 timeframe would be subject to future Capital Improvement Projects (CIP) budget decisions and town council approval now.”

For now, the council will look at the apartments. The plan, which changed from the concept plan that was approved in 2008, calls for 12 smaller townhome-style buildings, with about 25 units each, with interior parking courtyards. Unit sizes will range from 652 square feet to 1,452 square feet. The number of units in the complex – 307 -- will be about the same, but the smaller buildings would be more in line with the town’s goals.

Just Changing Planes aygriffith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez
    Not surprisingly, the River Walk is not proceeding as fast as predicted in 2007/2008. Most interesting thing out of this article to me was the blurb about United Market Street still being in talks to build a store at the south end of the development. If this were to occur, it would be a huge engine for the rest of the development, IMO.
    They should be clamoring to get the Market Street deal done, they are the only people that probably actually want to get a deal done... Market Street must have a sweetheart deal on financing or be awash with cash because its pretty amazing if they can finance the construction of all these new stores. Some of their panhandle stores have seen better days.

I don't know if this still has 675k sq ft of retail but if they actually filled that space, it would be the final nail in the coffin for Vista Ridge in Lewsiville. And it would further the downward spiral of every part of Lewisville that isn't right on the lake. I don't know if thats a good thing long term for the Mound.

Flower Mound's dormant River Walk at Central Park project is stirring
    12:00 AM CDT on Thursday, April 8, 2010
    By WENDY HUNDLEY / The Dallas Morning News
    whundley@dallasnews.com
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.4c77a1a.html

When it was approved two years ago, the River Walk at Central Park was touted as a project that would serve as Flower Mound's downtown, bringing a lively mix of residences, shopping and offices.

It was compared with Southlake Town Center but was touted as better because the project would include the town's first hospital. That would be a milestone for the community and a magnet for medical offices.

But since then, a major player in the project – Flower Mound CBD Ltd. – has fallen into foreclosure. Only Presbyterian Hospital of Flower Mound has been built on the 158-acre site between Long Prairie and Morriss roads.

But the much-anticipated project may be getting back on track.

The hospital, on a 12-acre tract on the northwest corner of the site, is scheduled to open at month's end.

On Monday, the Town Council approved a zoning change and site plan for the first residential component of the project.

Mayor Jody Smith said a major grocery store is looking at the southwest corner of the site, and a buyer is interested in purchasing the bulk of the property that's in foreclosure.

"Active discussions are going on with an interested party," said Smith, noting that central business district zoning is already in place for the 126-acre tract.

"Hopefully, the hospital will spur additional medical development," she said. Neither the hospital nor the apartment project approved this week is part of the foreclosure proceedings, city officials said.

The River Walk Apartments would provide 307 units on 10 acres along Morriss Road. That land was purchased by Price Development Group in January 2009, said Monte Wendler of the Kansas City, Mo.-based company.

The one- and two-bedroom apartments, ranging in size from 652 to 1,452 square feet, would rent for $825 to $1,600.

The multifamily project differs significantly from the original concept.

Instead of a large parking garage, it would provide ground-level garages for more than half of the tenants. The apartments would be in 12 buildings instead of three large structures.

Scaling down the buildings and eliminating the parking garage creates a more residential feel and provides a better transition to the neighborhood to the east, Wendler told town officials.

Most council members believed the project maintained the original vision for the River Walk project.

"This is a much better product than the original concept," Mayor Pro Tem Jean Levenick said.

Mid-Rise Member
    Healthcare: Medical Campus moving forward at River Walk 06.23.2010

Dallas-based Rainier Medical Investments (RMI) has hired architect Perkins+Will for the development of the 21-acre River Walk Medical Park, located within The River Walk at Central Park and next to the new Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Flower Mound.

“The building will architecturally blend in with the existing hospital and The River Walk concept and be an integral part of the new healthcare campus,” said David Collins, principal of Perkins+Will. RMI also announced that it has “soft” leasing commitments of approximately 70,000 square feet in the first medical office building, which is currently planned to be a three-story 80,000 square feet building.

Based upon initial talks with the Town of Flower Mound, RMI plans to break ground this fall and be ready for occupancy early summer 2011. “We have had nothing but an open door and the finest of cooperation and communication from the entire team in Flower Mound,” said Tim Lavender, president of RMI. "Flower Mound is excited to have us and we are equally excited to become a long-term, vibrant part of the community beginning with this project.”

“This is very positive news since medical-related developments contribute to the Town’s tax base and create high quality jobs for residents of Flower Mound and surrounding areas,” said Melissa Glasgow, director of economic development for the Town of Flower Mound. The new hospital is quickly proving to be a viable anchor to attract medical-related economic development to the Town and we welcome this flurry of activity.”

There are already plans for a second medical office building of approximately 60,000 square feet, to break ground by the end of the year, according to RMI officials. Interest in approximately 25 percent in pre-leasing space has already been expressed by potential tenants.

“The alignment of medical services in a hospital medical campus allows for synergies and efficiencies to be created that are lost when services are geographically dispersed from each other in a community,” said Daryn Eudaly, EVP/principal of RMI. “The model that we are working to implement with the hospital is one that other suburban markets have seen tremendous success with and have led to a growth in the medical services and quality of care in the area.”

The current owners of the 21-acre site are in the final steps toward conveying clear title to the land. RMI anticipates the final closing will occur in early July and is working with the Town of Flower Mound’s development team in preparation for an immediate start to the initial phase construction at that time.

http://blackswanzine.com/2010/06/23/...at-river-walk/

Mid-Rise Member
    Ranier Medical starts work on medical office building in Flower Mound

10:32 AM CST on Tuesday, November 9, 2010
    By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
    stevebrown@dallasnews.com

Dallas-based Rainier Medical Investments said Tuesday that it plans to begin work immediately on a three-story medical office building in Flower Mound. The 84,000-square-foot project will be the first phase of the River Walk Medical Park, a medical campus to accompany Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Flower Mound on Long Prairie Road.

Last week, the Flower Mound Town Council approved initial development of the project.

Rainier Medical said there are plans for two additional office buildings in the development that could start early next year.

Mid-Rise Member
    Well, its about a year late, but the first residential piece of the Riverwalk is under construction. Land on the Eastern side along Morriss has been cleared, and the below is scheduled to be finished around the end of the year. This coupled with the Medical complex means it is pretty busy around the periphery of the property. Just nothing announced yet for the core...

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.pricedg.com/c_multi_riverwalk.html

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.crosstimbersgazette.com/l...und-in-fm.html

Luxury apartments break ground in FM
    Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Local leaders recently broke ground on an apartment complex in Flower Mound's Riverwalk development.

Kansas City-based Price Development Group is developing a three story, 307 apartment community called The Riverwalk at Central Park near Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Flower Mound. The complex will consist of 12 three-story buildings and a 6,000 square foot clubhouse, according to Price Development's website.

Amenities include an on-staff concierge, resort style pool, fitness center, private club room, cyber cafe, and business center. Pocket parks and trails will be landscaped and incorporated into the community.

The apartments are expected to be completed by December.

Mid-Rise Member
    After nearly 9 months of earthwork, framing is going up for the Park Central apartments @ the RiverWalk. Now slated for opening at the end of this year.

http://www.apartments.com/rent/Flowe...Mound/325099.2

Mid-Rise Member
    And apparently progress is being made towards bringing in a United Market Street to the River Walk. And it may come at the expense of the Kroger that has sat on the other side of the intersection for many years. Intrigue in Flower Mound.

http://flowermoundleader.com/article...r/news/017.txt

http://www.crosstimbersgazette.com/l...ion-plans.html

--------------------------------

By Chris Roark, croark@acnpapers.com
    Published: Friday, December 9, 2011 5:37 PM CST
    Flower Mound officials have confirmed that upscale grocery store Market Street has submitted a draft development plan for town consideration.

Town spokesman Michael Ryan said the proposed location for the 55,716-square-foot store is located in The River Walk at Central Park, specifically near the intersection of Euclid Avenue and FM 2499. The most recent draft development plan was submitted in November. “Town staff is currently reviewing draft documents and having preliminary discussions with representatives from Market Street who have indicated a desire to locate a store in Flower Mound," Ryan said.

Once the town examines the draft plan and responds to Market Street, a formal application will be submitted. “We do not anticipate receiving a formal application until early 2012 at the earliest,” Ryan said. “Once that is received, the official review process will begin, and the project will be scheduled for planning and zoning and town council consideration.” Ryan said a public hearing will not be required.

Assuming all goes smoothly, this would be big news for local residents. In the residential survey the town conducted in May, Market Street was the sixth-most desired retailer. Ryan said Market Street has been among the top-10 most desired retailers in past surveys. Flower Mound conducted residential surveys in 2003 and 2007. Market Street stores offer a variety of specialty items, as well as whole health and gourmet products.

--------

Kroger yanks expansion plans
    Tuesday, 06 December 2011 17:02

Kroger's plan to expand their aging store in Flower Mound is off the table for now. The company requested Friday that plans to expand their store at FM 1171 and FM 2499 in Flower Mound be removed from the planning and zoning board’s agenda this month.

In a message to the town, Kroger officials stated, “Based on the Town’s decision to deny our request for approval both at Planning and Zoning and Council, Kroger has lost all funding for this project. We will continue to monitor the situation at this Flower Mound store and explore all of our options regarding this location.” Kroger did not get the approval needed from council on Nov. 21 to green light a proposed $14 million expansion and add gas pumps, primarily due to traffic concerns. Instead, the project was sent back to planning & zoning committee members for reconsideration at their Dec. 12 meeting.

Mayor Melissa Northern said that even though the announcement was a disappointment, she and the council are committed to working out something with the grocer. “We are talking with Kroger corporate in Cincinnati and The Weitzman Group to try to keep this project moving forward,” said Northern. She said she believes that more dialog needs to occur with The Weitzman Group since they control Kroger’s parking lot and can assist with the changes requested to move the proposed gas station to a safer location.

Mid-Rise Member
    So an update to this development.

The Park Central Apartments are open on the East side of this property, along Morris... http://www.parkcentralhome.com/index.php

The United Market Street, and associated shopping district on the South end of the Property has broken ground. Looks like a LaMadeline, and a TruFire will be opening here as well, along with some other small retail. http://www.theretailconnection.net/u...7165723391.pdf

And in news related to the Kroger Expansion plans, the new Town council reversed the old one, and approved the plans. So Kroger plans to stay and fight Market Street in that neighborhood. Lots going on in FloMo these days. http://www.crosstimbersgazette.com/l...l-station.html

I saw an article in the local paper today. Apparently someone else is buying up the property, and is hoping to make it a place for entertainment as well as it sounds like they rather put in condo's instead of all the apartments.

http://www.scntx.com/articles/2013/0...r/news/176.txt

Developer reveals plans to resurrect River Walk
    By Chris Roark, croark@starlocalnews.com
    Published: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:18 PM CDT
    There was a time in the summer of 2008 when The River Walk at Central Park was described as a project that was going to give Flower Mound a sense of place.

The promise of a true downtown gathering place for Flower Mound mixed with shopping, offices, a variety of residential options and an actual river walk had town leaders thrilled. The 158-acre mixed-use development was set to be located north of FM 1171, east of FM 2499 and west of Morriss Road.

Then the economic downturn hit.

And aside from the medical community on the west side of the property, apartments on the east side and the incoming Market Street grocery store on the southern end, the project appeared to be all but dead.

But Monday, Mehrdad Moayedi, president and CEO of Centurion American, told the Flower Mound Town Council he is bringing it back to life.

Centurion American plans to close on the remaining 95 acres of the project in the coming days and continue with the project's initial vision.

Five Star Development was the project's original developer, but it lost the property due to financial default. The Baptist Foundation of Texas, one of Five Star's lenders, took over the property soon afterward.

Now, Moayedi plans to take the original concept for The River Walk and make it happen.

Having a history of mostly residential projects -- Centurion American is developing such neighborhoods as Montalcino Estates, Legends and Terracina in Flower Mound -- Moayedi has teamed up with Jeff Blackard, who has developed the Adriatica mixed-use project in McKinney.

"This has to be a destination place," Moayedi said. "This has to be pretty enough and unique enough to where people will go out there and spend their money."

Much of the plans approved in 2008 remain the same. The west side of the property, which faces FM 2499, includes the existing Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital and the River Walk Medical Village. South of that and north of The Forums neighborhood would be an enhanced entertainment district from the original concept plan.

Moayedi said he envisions a family entertainment venue, such as a restaurant/arcade facility, a bowling alley and a retail building within the entertainment district. He said he also plans to bring in various restaurants.

"We're investors in a few restaurants," Moayedi said. "We're pretty sure that we can bring in about eight high-end restaurants."

Other components of the district include a 3,000-seat amphitheater, which is an addition from the original plan. Moayedi said it could be used for performances from local organizations as well as national acts that can typically be seen at mid-size venues such as WinStar Casino in Oklahoma. Additionally, Moayedi said he also expects to have a 120-room hotel.

Moayedi said he plans to have one bell tower that includes offices, as well as fountains and public art areas throughout the district to add to the visual appeal.

The east side of the property that runs alongside Morriss is set to include the residential components. Preliminary plans call for about 200-250 single-family villas, townhome and brownstone units -- all for-sale pieces.

It will also include apartments, but Moayedi said the number of apartments has decreased from the original plan which called for 1,250 units to be built. Right at 300 have already been constructed. But Moayedi said instead of continuing on with the additional 950 apartment units, his plan calls for about 430 units. The others would be replaced with the for-sale units.

Also on the east side would be an assisted living center, a memory care facility, an office building and a restaurant/retail building.

In between would be the river walk that flows from the north end of the property to the south end. Moayedi said water would be continuously pumped to keep the water from being stagnant. There would be bridges across the river.

Surrounding the river would be open areas, including Central Park. At the southern end of the river, Moayedi is proposing a 300-seat chapel, similar to what is in Adriatica.

"The chapel in McKinney has a lot of weddings," Moayedi said. "The people that come to those weddings need a place to stay. So that would help the hotel, it would help the restaurant and everything else."

Council members were eager to get the project going again.

"One thing that has been very clear in Flower Mound is that we don't want to be the same-old, same-old," said Councilman Steve Dixon, who was on the planning and zoning commission when the original River Walk plans were approved. "So I really appreciate the fact that you say you're going to bring in some high-desired places that's not like when you drive down the street. It's going to be something unique, maybe something you see at North Park Mall and in Dallas. That's the type of place people in Flower Mound want to go to so they can spend their money in our town."

The project will still have to get approval from the council for various plans in the coming weeks.

Moayedi said he expects construction to begin in late July or early August and said it should be complete in five years. He said the value of the project at buildout should be about $400 million.

This deal is a little bit San Antonio and little bit New York City.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...his-week.html/

Groundbreaking for long delayed Flower Mound mixed-use project this week
    By Steve Brown
    August 13, 2013

Centurion American Development Group and the Town of Flower Mound have scheduled a Friday ground breaking for the River Walk at Central Park commercial and residential project.

The more than 100-acre project will include shops, townhomes, apartments and entertainment facilities on the property north of FM 1171.
    The River Walk at Central Park

HaHaHaHaHa
    The mediator between the head and the hands must be the heart.

A little bit stupid......can't they come up with something more original?

best of both worlds ish?

Mid-Rise Member
    A lot of progress at this development. In November, voters approved the creation of a Public Improvement District....Clearing of land for the actual river walk feature has been ongoing for about two months now.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...-bond-for.html

And yesterday, the United Market Street store opened at the Southwest corner of the property.

http://www.theshelbyreport.com/2013/...r-mound-store/

"Leaders from United Supermarkets and the Flower Mound community cut the ribbon Wednesday on the company’s newest Market Street location. Its the Texas company’s 12th store bearing the Market Street banner, seven of which are in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. Located at 3800 Long Prairie Rd., the store is part of the “River Walk at Central Park” development at the northeast corner of Cross Timbers and Long Prairie roads. The 55,000-s.f. store opened for business following the ribbon-cutting ceremony, which featured the presentation of checks for $10,000 each to Toys for Tots and Tarrant Area Food Bank. The Flower Mound location is under the direction of GM Shannon Nix, who previously spent five years managing a United location in Abilene and has been with the company for 18 years."

Mid-Rise Member
    Really cool HD video taken by an aerial drone, as an update for March 2014. You can really see the river channel construction, and get an idea for the size of the property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZZcSLznizg

Google Maps link to the location

http://goo.gl/maps/DDX5y

Thread Information