Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observation Decks In DTD

Question Observation Decks In DTD

I was wondering if anyone knew which skyscrapers in DTD have an observation deck? I have been to Reunion Tower several times and I have a wonderful view everyday at Cityplace, but I wanted to get a different perspective....plus I enjoy it. I have heard on this forum that several of the buildings are even open on the weekends. Anyways, if anyone knows, please let me know.

thanks.
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

High-Rise Member
    There's the Skylobby of the Chase Tower. I think it is only open on weekdays.

Back in the 1960's Elm Place (then First National Bank of Dallas) had an observation deck on one of the top floors. It was closed down before Reunion Tower opened, but I can't remember the year.
    http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com - Architecture in Downtown Fort Worth
    http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum - The Fort Worth Forum
    http://www.dallasarchitecture.info - Architecture in Downtown Dallas

Thumbs up

Thank you John. I appreciate it.

Skyscraper Member
    Hmm, I'll have to check out the Chase Tower sky lobby. How late is it open on weekdays?

High-Rise Member
    I think it's open until at least 5:00 PM. Since it is the point where the elevators transfer around the hole in the building, it may be open until 5:30 or 6:00 PM
    http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com - Architecture in Downtown Fort Worth
    http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum - The Fort Worth Forum
    http://www.dallasarchitecture.info - Architecture in Downtown Dallas

I've always really enjoyed the atmosphere inside the Chase's skylobby. Very pleasant!

I finally made it the Chase Skylobby this afternoon. It was awesome to say the least. The inside is beautiful and the views are surreal.

Perhaps Dallas will become a city of rooftop entertainment venues to take advantage of the propensity of nighttime lighting schemes in and around the CBD. Lacking an ocean, great lake, mountain range or any other dramatic geographic backdrop, the city presents itself as the view. The bar topping the W Hotel/Condo will hopefully start a trend of skyward entertainment, adding to what Reunion Tower provides. A city chock full of penthouse bars, restaurants and lounges could be major tourist destination.

The inside is beautiful and the views are surreal.
    To this, add twilight and a string quartet - Dallas becomes very romantic.

along those lines. Nana in the Anatole. the view of downtown is incredible from there.

Low-Rise Member
    This doesn’t really count, but I’ve been on the top floor of the San Jacinto building (the one that looks like three books). Some of my friends in the ad industry work for Square One, an agency that occupies the top three floors of the middle tower, which is the tallest of the three.

The top floor, with its high ceilings and massive bay windows on either end, offers some very majestic views of downtown Dallas. On the north end, Square One has created a bar (complete with pinball, autographed jerseys, big TVs, pool tables, neon signs, barstools, and a long dark wood bar) that was built partly in honor of their client Miller Ice and partly in honor of their love of booze. The view, out over Woodall Rogers and out into north Dallas, is stunning. You can sit on a barstool and just stare out those huge bay windows for hours.

I hope there are more public observation decks in the future.

ugh- I wish I could go up into some of these buildings. I went into Bank of America and I rode the elevator to the top floor.. stepped out.. and IT WAS THE MOST MAGNIFICENT VIEW EVER! not. There was a wall, and double wood doors on both sides. Not even a public-friendly window. Ugh. stupid people >:|!

is gone.
    Same thing happened to me.

Needless to say, I was PISSED.

Will they let you ride to the top of BoA with no questions asked?

I'm not sure, but I don't think they will. I went in there with my brother once (Urbanlandscape) and we encountered some fairly menacing rent-a-cops watching us very carefully. We ended up sneaking around the place for a while and got on an elevator while the guard's back was turned (didn't want to take any chances). We got up to the top and discovered the whole wall and giant wooden door scenario.

And to agree with evdallas, Nana in the Anatole has a great view of downtown from the Stemmons side. I have been there several times and it always just fills me with pride for Dallas.

The skylobby in Chase is awesome too. I have some pictures somewhere, if I can find them, I'll put them up. Urban/Chris, do you have copies of the pictures I took on your computer?
    "Some people have a deep, abiding respect for the natural beauty that was once this country. And some people don't."

Don't forget about the "Top O the Cliff" at the top of the Bank of America Building in Oak Cliff (Zang Blvd. exit). Great views of Downtown from the southern sector point of view

is gone.
    Originally posted by gc
    Will they let you ride to the top of BoA with no questions asked?
    If you can successfully dodge the security guards, yeah.

I actually asked the security dude. This was pre-9/11, of course. But don't expect to be happy when you get up there. You step out of that row of elevators expecting something amazing.. but.. ah, no. ya dont get it. I think that there's a key you can turn to go one level higher than level 72.. if you wanna kidnap some maintenance dude and risk your life on top of the building. Don't get mischevious on a windy day though.. can you imagine like.. being blown off of that? I used to have nightmares about holding onto the rim of Fountain Place, then losing grip and sliding to my doom. Wow.

is gone.
    Originally posted by drumguy8800
    I actually asked the security dude. This was pre-9/11, of course. But don't expect to be happy when you get up there. You step out of that row of elevators expecting something amazing.. but.. ah, no. ya dont get it. I think that there's a key you can turn to go one level higher than level 72.. if you wanna kidnap some maintenance dude and risk your life on top of the building. Don't get mischevious on a windy day though.. can you imagine like.. being blown off of that? I used to have nightmares about holding onto the rim of Fountain Place, then losing grip and sliding to my doom. Wow.
    Man, that's kinda crazy. You might want to seek counseling about that...your fear of Fountain Place. Sounds like a movie, almost.

Hey, Michael...Bearkat (I'll never get used to it!)...remember when you got to go up there?

Mid-Rise Member
    That sliding to your doom comment reminds me....

I always thought Fountain Place would be good for the opening of a James Bond movie.

You know, he's fighting bad guys are something and has to jump out the window to certain death, but what the audience doesn't know is that it's Fountain Place and he lands on the roof, slides all the way down to the edge, hooks a line to the rails they have there right before he plummets (forget that if there is a rail there he wouldn't plummet), rapels safely down the rest of the way, unflustered, lands on a (now this is the unbelievable part) crowded Dallas sidewalk and walks away nonchalantly having thwarted the bad guys are whatever and...cue theme.

I hereby give you permission to write this scene into a movie as long as I get a cut of the gross. Otherwise that whole idea is copyrighted, trademarked, and whatevered.

While we're at it, I'd like to copyright the F in Foucault, so no one use the 'F' for profit please.
    Garth Brooks did the same for his 'g'.

Low-Rise Member
    Some buddies and I from work snuck up to the B of A elevator on a whim one day and rode it up to a 60+ floor (I don’t remember which, but it was in the higher end). We got off and one of my friends remarked aloud how it stunk that we wouldn’t get to see the view. Right then a guy was opening one of said wooden doors and retrieving his lunch from the delivery guy. He nodded to us and motioned us to come in. He led us into his office (which was huge, although a little drab) and we noticed that his plaque said “CFO.” He promptly sat down to start eating his lunch. We freaked out and gazed out his windows like little kids. It was amazing!

There was a huge falcon chilling out on the edge of the building, and he told us that sometimes the falcons bring their “lunch” up there and proceed to eat it right outside his window. He also told us that sometimes it snows up there even when it’s dry on the ground. The view, needless to say, was breathtaking. Especially of the surrounding buildings. Beyond downtown the city looks pretty flat and grey, but downtown looks awesome from up there.

Anyway, after we left, we remarked how cool and down-to-earth the guy was, considering he was the CFO of a huge corporation’s regional office. This having been right around the time news of Enron broke, it was a refreshing perspective on top officers of major companies. It would be amazing if they let more people see the view from up there without having to buy a membership to that exclusive restaurant on the top floor.

NOTE: I used to try to sneak in to as many buildings as a I could to see the view from the top. I succeeded very rarely. As you can tell, I can get really, really bored sometimes.

It's not Dallas, but in Houston, there is a "Sky Lobby" in the Chase Tower on I believe the 60th floor. It's really cool to have a huge open lobby area up there. The view is incredible.

On top of the Bank of America building in Dallas, there is a club you might try getting up to. I think it's the 73rd floor. We rented it out for a party in college, and the view up there was awesome.

One more nice view was from the top of the Westin Park Central. You look towards downtown from 635/75.

crescentboi
    The "Sky Lobby" is in Dallas at the Chase tower on Ross and Pearl. It's up in the "key hole" of the building.

Mile-High Skyscraper Member rantanamo's Avatar
    Top floor of Baylor Hospital has a designated viewing area I believe. Very nice view of Downtown.

Downtown towers still open to public

I'm coming in Friday for the Cotton Bowl and I have a Question.

What are the Downtown Towers that their skylobbies sre open to the public?

Thanks,

Chase Tower(the big hole)
    Reunion Tower (the big ball)

There could be others

Quote Originally Posted by rantanamo
    Chase Tower(the big hole)
    Reunion Tower (the big ball)

There could be others
    I could be wrong, but I think Chase Tower's Skylobby is only open during normal business hours (i.e. Monday-Friday 8-5).
    By the power of greyskull!

no Saturday?

Supertall Skyscraper Member psukhu's Avatar
    Carve out an hour to have a couple of drinks at the bar on top of Reunion Tower. It's worth it.

http://dallasregency.hyatt.com/prope...l?id=5&ssnav=0

Keep in mind there's light rail has a station at the base in case you don't want to drive or walk.

http://www.dart.org/maps.asp?zeon=RailMap (Union Station)

The weather should be warm for new year's:

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USTX0327.html

ok, thanks

^ Threads merged.

By the way, if you can wait another year the top of The W Hotel will have a spectacular view of the city.

Low-Rise Member
    My favorite spots are the Nana Bar on top of the Antaloe and the Chaparral restaurant on top of the Adam's Mark Hotel.

Supertall Skyscraper Member texman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by utgf
    Chaparral restaurant on top of the Adam's Mark Hotel.
    any good?
    "And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed."-"Farewell to Penn Station," New York Times Editorial, October 30, 1963

crescentboi
    I went to the observation deck at Reunion, and the view was great, however the enviroment is aweful! You have to pay $2 to go up, and there's no gift shop or anything! I was also shocked by the cheap chain link fencing that covered the view, as well as the plexi glass inserts that are cracked and faded which makes it very difficult to see through. And they also have signs with photos of the view that you are seeing with information as to what the buildings/landmarks are....but the signs are not lite, and if they are they don't work, and the pictures are extremely out of date. Something needs to happen up there to make it worth a trip.

is gone.
    Here's what you do: go up to the lounge, and if it's during the day, the dress code is very much relaxed, and the view is great there. A drink is going to cost you more than the two dollar ticket to the observation deck. I may just go up there while I'm here in Dallas this next week.

Super Moderator
    they don't check ID for the lounge, correct? at least that's what i've heard...

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texman
    any good?
    It has been a while, but I remember the steak at Chaparral was very good. Surprisingly, Antares, Nana, and Chaparral all have pretty good food considering they could have been just tourist traps.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by crescentboi
    I went to the observation deck at Reunion, and the view was great, however the enviroment is aweful! You have to pay $2 to go up, and there's no gift shop or anything! I was also shocked by the cheap chain link fencing that covered the view, as well as the plexi glass inserts that are cracked and faded which makes it very difficult to see through. And they also have signs with photos of the view that you are seeing with information as to what the buildings/landmarks are....but the signs are not lite, and if they are they don't work, and the pictures are extremely out of date. Something needs to happen up there to make it worth a trip.
    Ive experienced pretty much what you described when i went to Reunion about 5 years ago. Were you talking about the windows you see from the bottom to top when going up the elevators? If so, yes, those windows need replacing badly, they look hideous and ruin the view.

But anyway its a great view and really the only place i know to get a birds-eye view of a very fine city. There's the Skylobby @ Chase, but i dont know too much about it. Is it open to the public? What are the hours? Is it free or pay?

Some guy
    What Dallas needs is another tallest, then the top floor is an observation deck. Score!

High-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DalLove444
    But anyway its a great view and really the only place i know to get a birds-eye view of a very fine city. There's the Skylobby @ Chase, but i dont know too much about it. Is it open to the public? What are the hours? Is it free or pay?
    Chase skylobby is free, but they can be paranoid about cameras if you have a professional looking one. Chase is very nice, but it doesn't really compare to the view from 160 stories above Cedar Hill. Sorry I don't have pictures.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by FoUTASportscaster
    What Dallas needs is another tallest, then the top floor is an observation deck. Score!
    Yes, plus a cool restaurant and bar near the top of the building.

Doesn't the Chase building in Houston have a skylobby as well?
    By the power of greyskull!

I just recently visited the Chase sky lobby for the first time. It was magnificent. I could've stayed up there for hours, really. I likened it to looking at google maps...in action. The sky lobby is free, but it's only open during business hours: Monday - Friday, 8 - 5. Makes it difficult for people who work a job w/traditional hours to ever take advantage of it.
    I tell everyone...I smile just because...I've got a city love...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JasonDallas
    ......Chase is very nice, but it doesn't really compare to the view from 160 stories above Cedar Hill. Sorry I don't have pictures.

Jason
    Did you say 160 stories!!?? WHAT??? In Cedar Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers
    Doesn't the Chase building in Houston have a skylobby as well?
    Yep, and the Wells Fargo in DTH has a couple of public skylobbies as well.

High-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DalLove444
    Did you say 160 stories!!?? WHAT??? In Cedar Hill?
    There are about ~11 160-170 story towers in and around Cedar Hill. Most of them have nice elevators too if you care to spend ~45 minutes each way. Of course, they're not nice buildings but they have a much less obstructed view and you really feel like you're nearly flying. I've been on a 200 story tower south of Waco and it was barely any better than the towers we have here. Perhaps because of the better view (more to see) here.

Jason

JasonDallas: Do you have pictures of these 160-170 story towers in Cedar Hill? Maps or anything of these? I did searches on Google, Yahoo and all i came up with are either TV or Radio Transmission towers.

Some guy
    Radio and Tv are the only thing on note, height-wise, in Cedar Hill.

Thumbs up

UTGF nailed it on the great secret that is The Chaparral Club/restaurant at the top of the Adam's Mark Hotel. You get off the elevator and the view is right there in front of you, giving a unique view looking West, from the East end of downtown. There's quite a bit of space there to look out, without feeling like you're invading on the restaurant. Do yourself a favor: Make a reservation, get the steak & lobster tail, and manager, Tito Azores will take care of the rest.

Another really good view (although I don't think there is an observation deck) I've seen is from Elm Place. This bldg used to be lit up all the time, but now usually is only lit up in between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I haven't been upto the Chase Tower skydeck, but that sounds awesome. Anyone know if Fountain Place or Trammel Crow have skydecks up there? FYI, Fountain Place is about to unveil a 90 FOOT Mavs banner on the bldg.

Thread Information