Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Uptown: Cityplace West + West Village | V2.0

High-Rise Member ChampionDallas's Avatar
    Hopefully the developers will talk to a hotel group and lure in a hotel along the lines of an Embassy Suites, Double Tree, or Courtyard.

Skyscraper Member
    I like the idea of a hotel in West Village too. But is its target demographic really going to the travelling businessman? Wouldn't businessmen tend to stay closer to downtown, the airports, or in one of the "luxury" hotels? I'd think tourists and out-of-town family would be easier/better to attract.

I think Dallas' second W Hotel should go here...or somthing along the lines. I think a trendy hotel would cater to the surrounding neighborhood better.

Quote Originally Posted by profbarium View Post
    I like the idea of a hotel in West Village too. But is its target demographic really going to the travelling businessman? Wouldn't businessmen tend to stay closer to downtown, the airports, or in one of the "luxury" hotels? I'd think tourists and out-of-town family would be easier/better to attract.
    Families not so much since the West Village is designed as a 20 something playground of bars, restaurants, and retail. Lots of retail catering to those young professionals wearing suits as well so I assume a business office worker oriented hotel would work out rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by savant71 View Post
    I think Dallas' second W Hotel should go here...or somthing along the lines. I think a trendy hotel would cater to the surrounding neighborhood better.
    Dallas is definitely not ready for a second W Hotel. I understand where you're coming from though; this area needs a young, chic hotel.

Low-Rise Member
    If we're fantasizing, I'd like to see this concept here.
    http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...go/?ref=travel

http://www.publichotels.com

Quote Originally Posted by profbarium View Post
    As a frequent business traveler, I can tell you that hotels in areas like West Village thrive in other cities. This location is just as close if not closer to the CBD than the market center area. It also gives easy access via DART or NCX to the telecom corridor and the CBD. Many business travelers are "20 something" professionals and having easy (i.e. non-driving) access to good "non-chain" restaurants, easy shopping for business attire (Brooks Brothers, Men's Warehouse, Banana, etc.) and entertainment options are all things that today's business traveler looks for in a hotel location.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksig121 View Post
    As a frequent business traveler, I can tell you that hotels in areas like West Village thrive in other cities. This location is just as close if not closer to the CBD than the market center area. It also gives easy access via DART or NCX to the telecom corridor and the CBD. Many business travelers are "20 something" professionals and having easy (i.e. non-driving) access to good "non-chain" restaurants, easy shopping for business attire (Brooks Brothers, Men's Warehouse, Banana, etc.) and entertainment options are all things that today's business traveler looks for in a hotel location.
    You'd know better than me. That sounds plausible. I'll take your word for it.

Remember that the hotel itself would be a destination if it has a great restaurant and bar. But please, not another W. There are so many other cool hotel brands that haven't entered the Dallas market.

Uptown - McKinney Ave
    There was something in the works about a year and a half ago for a lower cost hotel aimed at business travelers in Uptown, I don't remember a lot about it, obviously it never panned out but hotel developers are at least looking at the area for something like that.

I have wondered the same thing however with the Joule, A Loft downtown and W at Victory all just a train ride away to West Village and Mockingbird Station and Park Lane Place maybe it there is not enough demand. Both Park Lane Place and Mockingbird were supposed to get these kind of hotels but were cancelled before the crash in 2008. Palomar is also across from Mockingbird as well. We will probably see a hotel someday but after the area becomes a little more dense and built out.

are you sure? Atlanta - a city a third the size and part of a smaller metro and with about the same economic clout- has three.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionDallas View Post
    Dallas is definitely not ready for a second W Hotel. I understand where you're coming from though; this area needs a young, chic hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by noelamador View Post
    are you sure? Atlanta - a city a third the size and part of a smaller metro and with about the same economic clout- has three.
    Still doesn't change my mind. Email W if you think it's a feasible idea.

I think I would prefer if The Joule or ZaZa opened a hotel in the West Village, just to keep the design, tone, ambiance and mood of the hotel firmly determined by local sensibilities - not trying to replicate a successful template from another town....

I'll be surprised if a decent sized hotel is not built within four years.

Quote Originally Posted by tamtagon View Post
    I think I would prefer if The Joule or ZaZa opened a hotel in the West Village, just to keep the design, tone, ambiance and mood of the hotel firmly determined by local sensibilities - not trying to replicate a successful template from another town....

I'll be surprised if a decent sized hotel is not built within four years.
    Uptown has enough "boutique" hotels. A hotel that is part of a national chain or rewards program would stay occupied all year long and would be a real boost to retail in the area. The chains are getting much better at making their properties fit in with the character of the neighborhoods that they are built in.

Maybe a NYLO would be the fit for this area.

Low-Rise Member
    Uptown has enough "boutique" hotels. A hotel that is part of a national chain or rewards program would stay occupied all year long and would be a real boost to retail in the area. The chains are getting much better at making their properties fit in with the character of the neighborhoods that they are built in.
    The creator of Public Chicago Ian Schrager also partner with Marriott called Edition that will take on Starwood's W Hotel.
    http://www.marriott.com/edition-hotel/travel.mi

Slowly but surely Shangri-La is entering the North American market so that would be an impressive anchor on the east side of Uptown.

true

Quote Originally Posted by DallasMan View Post
    The apartment complex at the NW corner of Blackburn and 75 is coming along nicely - they have topped out on the section nearest the intersection. They are really filling the entire lot between the street, the Mondrian, and the Monterrey.
    Tract6C.jpg
    tract6C (2).jpg
    Last edited by Julien; 22 February 2012 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks for the pictures. This is an exciting development.

Low-Rise Member

Houston wine bar restaurant chain takes West Village Borders store

4,200 sqft is not the whole building... anyone know the building size?

"
    An empty Uptown storefront is replacing books and magazines with fried chicken and champagne.
    The vacant Borders Books store in Dallas' West Village has been leased to a Houston restaurant chain.
    MAX’s Wine Dive has rented the 4,200-square-foot building at McKinney and Lemmon Avenues and construction is already underway.
    With locations in Houston, Austin and San Antonio, the Uptown lease is MAX’s Wine Dive's first forary into the North Texas market.
    "We’re excited to finally have them in the neighborhood,” Aaron Stephenson, partner with Retail Street Advisors who brokered the deal, said Thursday in a statement.
    MAX's serves "gourmet comfort food" and wine and is known for its weekend brunch specials and late night hours.
    The former Borders store is one of almost a dozen locations of the bankrupt book retailer which was vacated last year."

Super Moderator
    ^That looks pretty good, have never been in Austin but might be a good addition. A little bit concerned that this is another "wine place" but this one looks diversified.

http://www.maxswinedive.com/austin/index.php

Low-Rise Member
    Looks like a parking lot is being paved on lot 8B near the City Place West/Uptown Station. I really hope it is something else going on but it looks like a parking lot

Uptown - McKinney Ave
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasMichael View Post
    Looks like a parking lot is being paved on lot 8B near the City Place West/Uptown Station. I really hope it is something else going on but it looks like a parking lot
    I hate to admit it but West Village is probably short on parking. On the rare occasion that I drive there on the way home from work the parking garage has always been almost completely full or at least felt that way. I've always found a spot but I have always felt like I was close to not being able to. Plus the garage feels extremely cramped with way to many people looking for spots or precariously trying to exit their spot. I imagine it's a hundred times worse on the weekend.

Frank Lloyd Wright Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasMichael
    If people are going to park out there, why not just take the train?

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjblazin View Post
    If people are going to park out there, why not just take the train?
    I know right? Either way it is a weird parking lot, it is in the middle of the land with plenty of green on all sides excluding the entrance which is obviously paved. That's why I am thinking there might be something else built there.

^Ew. I never have any problems parking at WV. The garage behind the old Borders has never been full. The one in the center of WV is much more difficult to use, so I tend to avoid it.

Maybe its a parking lot for the construction workers and trailer(s) for the nearby plots of land that will soon be developed.

hamiltonpl, looking through rose-colored glasses.
    DAGNABBIT!

Supertall Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoryPark1 View Post
    4,200 sqft is not the whole building... anyone know the building size?

"
    An empty Uptown storefront is replacing books and magazines with fried chicken and champagne.
    The vacant Borders Books store in Dallas' West Village has been leased to a Houston restaurant chain.
    MAX’s Wine Dive has rented the 4,200-square-foot building at McKinney and Lemmon Avenues and construction is already underway.
    With locations in Houston, Austin and San Antonio, the Uptown lease is MAX’s Wine Dive's first forary into the North Texas market.
    "We’re excited to finally have them in the neighborhood,” Aaron Stephenson, partner with Retail Street Advisors who brokered the deal, said Thursday in a statement.
    MAX's serves "gourmet comfort food" and wine and is known for its weekend brunch specials and late night hours.
    The former Borders store is one of almost a dozen locations of the bankrupt book retailer which was vacated last year."
    This is good news! Sounds sort of like The Porch- I think the WV needs a restaurant like this...

Glad to see Max's Wine Dive finally in Dallas.. Hope they have live music like the Houston location.

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisp View Post
    Glad to see Max's Wine Dive finally in Dallas.. Hope they have live music like the Houston location.
    $21.50 for shrimp and grits... wow, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
    Maybe its a parking lot for the construction workers and trailer(s) for the nearby plots of land that will soon be developed.

hamiltonpl, looking through rose-colored glasses.
    EDIT: hamiltonpl, looking through **logical** glasses.

The hysterics are...hysterical.

Supertall Skyscraper Member NThomas's Avatar
    It's new parking lot for Baylor Medical Center at Uptown replacing the old auxiliary parking lot where where JLB Partners' 321-unit, five-story apartment building is now under construction. (Check out post 409 earlier in this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by NThomas View Post
    It's new parking lot for Baylor Medical Center at Uptown replacing the old auxiliary parking lot where where JLB Partners' 321-unit, five-story apartment building is now under construction.
    Interesting because neither the Baylor building nor the JLB apartments (Lemmon@Oak Grove) are part of Cityplace, but they are providing parking for a development that's not theirs? I hope it's a temporary arrangement and they haven't given up on a parcel that was once going to be a tall structure.

Mid-Rise Member
    The lot is very temporary. You can tell from it's design.

With Private/Social, Del Frisco's Grill, and now Max's Wine Dive, it seems like a slightly older crowd is moving north from the Ritz-Carlton area and staking its claim in that part of Uptown.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMoto View Post
    With Private/Social, Del Frisco's Grill, and now Max's Wine Dive, it seems like a slightly older crowd is moving north from the Ritz-Carlton area and staking its claim in that part of Uptown.
    That's something that I don't mind. I would much rather have a blend of age groups over a majority of young-ins. I think the older people will bring much needed wisdom and maturity to a developement over-run by young 'socialites' who think they know everything (not everyone in CP, but the majority). This coming from a college student.

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/a...rest-city.html
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/87565639/C...y-West-Village
    "Your first look at Forest City's plans for 20-story residential tower on old Hank Haney Golf Center site in West Village"
    .. . .Per the deal construction will begin in December of this year and wrap 24 months later. The whole thing is expected to consist of 399,000 square feet for residential use and give-or-take 37,000 square feet of retail. Some folks over on the Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum had been hoping for a hotel. . .

Metropolist-in-the-making jrd1964's Avatar
    Some folks over on the Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum had been hoping for a hotel. . .
    Well, at least RW hasn't forgotten about us.
    (in other words, the Borg haven't brainwashed him yet)

Meanwhile, time to rent more cranes and dozers and things.

High-Rise Member 1999McKinneyAve's Avatar
    That annual property tax number of $797,000 seems very low for a building that would cost nearly $100 million. 1900 McKinney is valued at $55 million and pays around $1.45 million each year in property taxes. Our building is only 195,000 sq. feet and our residents pay around $800k a year in property taxes.

Low-Rise Member
    What a great project
    391 units, 37,000 SQ FT of retail, a six story parking garage, twenty stories. It would be great if Barnes and Noble got a store here, I am missing that old Borders.

Super Moderator
    Still hpoing for a hotel project.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnekster View Post
    Still hpoing for a hotel project.
    I think one's on it's way.

Anyone know why the TIF deal includes "increased funding for McKinney Avenue Trolley improvements by $300,000"? The MATA extension into downtown is funded so I wonder if this is going toward restoring the Toronto PCC cars (I see that one of them has been moved into the car barn).

Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodhobo View Post
    Anyone know why the TIF deal includes "increased funding for McKinney Avenue Trolley improvements by $300,000"? The MATA extension into downtown is funded so I wonder if this is going toward restoring the Toronto PCC cars (I see that one of them has been moved into the car barn).
    Wilonksy said something about that, he seemed to suggest that he would post news when he found out what that additional funds are for and why they asked for more time to finish the extension. Who knows I am still confused if they have all the funding they need for the Downtown loop to use the Toronto cars.

A crane is standing up on the site of the former Mary Shiels hospital, between Baylor Uptown and Oak Grove Ave.
    Work on the ground has been intense this year, it looks like the building will have at least one level of parking underground. They worked recently on the curb and sidewalk on Lemmon South-West bound, the footpath seem to be as wide as what it is around Baylor.

Does anybody know who are the developers and architects? Any renderings so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Julien View Post
    Does anybody know who are the developers and architects? Any renderings so far?
    This is a JLB project, and there is a thread for it around here somewhere.

My understanding was simply that the utilities under the property needed major work since Mary Shields hospital has been there for decades now do crews had to do a lot of ground work to get the property ready for any type of construction.

Thread Information