Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526
Results 1,251 to 1,272 of 1272

Thread: TRP: The Trinity River Corridor Project | V2.0

Quote Originally Posted by LH_Newbie
    I personally think they won't happen, finances are already going to be tight and they don't need to pander to anyone with the referendum being defeated.
    Wouldn't the windmills save money? If you place them close to the utility that will consume the power they generate, wouldn't that create a long term savings?

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spjz
    Wouldn't the windmills save money? If you place them close to the utility that will consume the power they generate, wouldn't that create a long term savings?
    Perhaps after a decade or two they would pay for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy25
    Perhaps after a decade or two they would pay for themselves.
    That sounds reasonable considering that the road (if it's built) will be around for much longer.

Skyscraper Member
    Well you still need to factor in how productive they will be in that location, how much it will cost to maintain, pay the interest, life of the unit, etc. Often times these cost out weight the benifits, though with many green things its all about feeling good and less about "saving the world".

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy25
    Well you still need to factor in how productive they will be in that location, how much it will cost to maintain, pay the interest, life of the unit, etc. Often times these cost out weight the benifits, though with many green things its all about feeling good and less about "saving the world".
    Or its usually about investing in the technology so that hopefully it will become cheaper or more economically priced plus the feel good factor. Its the look at me I'm green thing well at least the windmills will stir up the large amount of exhaust the cars, trucks, hummers, and 18 wheelers will be producing on the tollway. Course it could be more environmental to invest in expanding other transportation systems that would take short trip traffic off the highway loop decreasing the localized traffic around downtown area allowing more room for pass through traffic but that's just a crazy idea.

There's a lot more to wind power than just putting up windmills and it working like that... its more complicated than what many might think... who's to say that there will be enough reliable wind in that area to support such an endeavour. Don't get me wrong i hope they are able to use that area for wind power and i really like that double helix concept...but there are lot of unanswered questions.
    IMO .. i wouldn't get my hopes up on wind mills.

Quote Originally Posted by kclapp
    There's a lot more to wind power than just putting up windmills and it working like that... its more complicated than what many might think... who's to say that there will be enough reliable wind in that area to support such an endeavour. Don't get me wrong i hope they are able to use that area for wind power and i really like that double helix concept...but there are lot of unanswered questions.
    IMO .. i wouldn't get my hopes up on wind mills.
    Yeah the other windmills pictured in the presentation make the windmills look more sculptural rather than giant fans. Maybe the windmills can be Calatrava designed too! $$

yeah.. haha more like $$$$$$$$$

Take a look at these windmills... http://www.mariahpower.com/ they could be put on the light poles...

as for the power lines I thought they were going to be outside the levees

Just Changing Planes aygriffith's Avatar
    So my new shortcut home when I drive is Canada drive which borders the West side the greenbelt... Why is somebody not buying up everything along that ?. Those lots have the greenbelt on the east side and Canada drive on the west side, and the houses are a strong wind away from falling down.

Seems like theres money to be made there...

Quote Originally Posted by aygriffith
    So my new shortcut home when I drive is Canada drive which borders the West side the greenbelt... Why is somebody not buying up everything along that ?. Those lots have the greenbelt on the east side and Canada drive on the west side, and the houses are a strong wind away from falling down.

Seems like theres money to be made there...
    And you would be correct.

Looks like they're just waiting on the city to straighten out a few financial difficulties first.

Quote Originally Posted by DMN
    Dallas would specifically seek federal money to support public works initiatives, such as the Trinity River project, flood-control systems and drainage efforts, City Manager Mary Suhm said.

Construction begins on new Trinity trail
    http://www.wfaa.com/video/index.html?nvid=305226&shu=1
    Cider is an amazing addition to the bars of America but it gives me the worst hangovers......

These strand trails are going to do great work for the cities image and connect more of these urban projects that are spread out all over the downtown area to one walking, biking, network of trails. The great thing is while everyone is fretting about the economy these projects will basically move forward in construction thanks to organized volunteers coming up with the money part. So by the time everyone feels safer in the economy these trail projects will be near completion providing a even bigger incentive for developers to build new residential projects near the connected network of trails. Dallas should not boom too fast cause that's how you get projects that build on fictional markets and eventually fail and leaving us with a parking lot or just a empty piece of land.

As for the comment in WFAA news story about balancing city money towards all parts of the city, well that does need watching but its ultimately up to the community to make these things happen. If South Dallas can not form a community group to make sure the project happens they should not expect much except what the city can pace the project at. The Trinity Strand trail on the south side of Downtown Dallas is moving forward last time I checked and I think they have a community group pushing it forward too!

Course reporters are trained to look for a angle to report on and while there is always a need to watch government spending it seems the story was just fitting clips together to make one.

I agree... the south side just got the Audubon Center and Moore Park Gate way is starting construction.... while on the north side this is the first thing we have seen.

Trinity River overlook opens amid scarce signs of project's progress
    09:02 AM CST on Wednesday, December 3, 2008
    By RUDOLPH BUSH / The Dallas Morning News
    rbush@dallasnews.com
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...y.3ab1b24.html

Apart from a nice view of downtown and a look at the swampy Trinity River bottom, there isn't much to see at the corner of Beckley and Commerce streets.

The recent exception is the sharply designed Trinity River overlook that City Hall plans to unveil today.

With canvas awnings spreading out like white wings, the idea is to give people a place to peer at progress on the Trinity River project. But for now, the overlook may be the most interesting thing you'll see.

"Unfortunately, our greatest concerns have been confirmed. We're no closer to having either the park or the toll road constructed than we were a year ago," said City Council member Angela Hunt, a toll road opponent who has pledged to track the project's progress.

City officials say there has been progress on the long-promised Trinity lakes, park and toll road but it's been behind the scenes.

Still, steps have been taken:

•The recent opening of the Trinity River Audubon Center in southeast Dallas. The $14 million center transformed a notorious dump site.

•The start of construction of footings for the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge at Woodall Rodgers Freeway and Singleton Boulevard. City officials say they are confident construction will begin in spring.

•Significant strides in improving the Trinity's flood control properties. The first in a chain of "wetland cells" was recently completed near the Great Trinity Forest. Mr. Neumann said the cells have already increased flood control capacity by a foot.

•Three miles of trails carved out in Rochester Park along the Great Trinity Forest. Work on another trail system, known as the Trinity Trail, is under way from Loop 12 to Simpson Stuart Road.

•A series of zoning changes intended to spur development in areas surrounding the Trinity. The council has approved zoning for a massive development by Irving-based JPI.

Now I want you all to notice how the writer formed their story with select quotes from Angela Hunt and the City of Dallas Trinity Project staff. I read it and noticed how they seem to play her as the person who told you so but I also can not help but point out the way the article is written leaves us the argument that Angela Hunt delayed the project. Even though she was no where near the only one who supported abolishing the tollway part since it was never really a part of the original voted proposal for the Trinity Project. You could accuse the writer of portraying her as the Negative Nancy but like any politician is portrayed in the media you never really know the whole story unless you talked to her/him personally. That goes for every council member and anyone ever quoted in a news article.

I hope we all try to read more deeply into every news article cause even without intention there is bias in every story and if you wanna to develop your own opinion its best to do it on your own.

But still, try not to reed to deep and beyond what is really there. Fact of the matter is the project now has some movements in the right direction. What is the point of arguing and trying to say "I was right, you were wrong", there is no reason for this for ether side. The Facts are the city voted for it and we have progress being made. Its better then the lack of progress we have seen over the past 11 years.
    Cider is an amazing addition to the bars of America but it gives me the worst hangovers......

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide
    But still, try not to reed to deep and beyond what is really there. Fact of the matter is the project now has some movements in the right direction. What is the point of arguing and trying to say "I was right, you were wrong", there is no reason for this for ether side. The Facts are the city voted for it and we have progress being made. Its better then the lack of progress we have seen over the past 11 years.
    I am not putting anyone as the I told you so that's what the article could be read as portraying in an effort to form a story for the public to be entertained.

Also there has been progress in the last 11 years just not obviously visible to the public. The Trinity project is massive indeed and many parts of it have been progressing for the last 11 years the only reason its seems like things are happening now is because the public refuses to put any effort into democratic process and make an effort to read what the city posts on the City Of Dallas Website every week or come to a public city council meeting or listen to the city council on the city of Dallas radio station. I've been reading public documents on the projects progress for years now where have you been. Plus I don't even live in Dallas and I know more about whats happening in Dallas City Hall then a friend of mine who works there. Just like with a underground parking garage no one believes things are happening until the construction reaches ground level.
    Last edited by cowboyeagle05; 04 December 2008 at 01:51 AM.

Still as a citizen it is frustrating! They dangle this great thing in front of us --- new trails and all --- but after so long hearing about it all they can point to for progress is stuff that we don't see--- useful as it may be.

I just want a new trail i can ride my bike on...

We'll have knee-replacements by then...

Urban/Street photographer SDORN's Avatar

Home to be demolished alomg sylvan ave

Does anyone what block of sylvan ave will be demolshed for thr TRP. I would like to to get some photos Project set to kick off in march. One man had to take a mere $60,000 for his house for threat of Immenant domian.

Thread Information