Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Latimer Tunnel/Deep Ellum Shoot

Good Latimer Tunnel/Deep Ellum Shoot

Alright guys. Due to the 15 'teaser' photos on the daily digital, I'm going to go ahead and start up an official thread for these shots...

So... post what you got. I'll let Ninja do a Tunnel Tribute thread when it's all said and done, but I got plenty of shots that aren't of the actual tunnel, so we may as well start posting them together...

Still got plenty to edit, but here's a few...

Reflection

Deep Ellum Graffiti

Good Latimer Tunnel

Dallas Art

Demolition

Terrence

great shots eric! i love that first one

Urban/Street photographer SDORN's Avatar

Some for the deep ellum thread

holy smokes... i knew you were up to no good with that puddle..... land sakes alive, son...

i want a poster... pretty please....

i think we all shot more than enough to fill two threads... i'd like to use some of your holga frames in the next thread if they're ready... and you don't use them here of course.. oh yeah.. and if you don't mind

thanks man.

Got the holga prints back yesterday... pretty terrible, I must say. Damn that film stuff.

Are they too bad to post

Scott

My shots from the tunnel...

Some HDR to get started:

Good Latimer Tunnel HDR_09.jpg

Good Latimer Tunnel HDR_08.jpg

Good Latimer Tunnel HDR_07.jpg

Good Latimer Tunnel HDR_06.jpg

Good Latimer Tunnel HDR_05.jpg

Good Latimer Tunnel HDR_04.jpg

Good Latimer Tunnel HDR_03.jpg

Good Latimer Tunnel HDR_02.jpg

Good Latimer Tunnel HDR_01.jpg

BTW Eric,

Awesome shots.

Scott -- good stuff man

nice!

and thanks!

Here's a few.....obviously I haven't bought the photomatix software yet. I just like the watermark.

IMG_1287

IMG_1430

Tractor Deep Ellum

Dallas Puddle

Fear Controls Knowledge

the-young-and-the-bright RobertB's Avatar
    Here's a question that y'all with the cameras probably have an opinion about: what parts of the tunnel art should DART preserve in the Deep Ellum Station project? I haven't seen anything more concrete than "some of the art will be preserved and incorporated in the station design". Which parts should be preserved, and how?

Of the pix above, I think the "1930" archway should be part of the project. It would preserve the "gateway" concept.

And before we despair too much about the loss of the iconic/iconoclastic murals, I'll point out that I'd never seen the buffalo mural until I saw the pictures above. It's at the southbound exit area, and by the time I get there I'm too busy trying to avoid colliding with traffic coming from the other tunnel. I'll be glad when I can examine the artwork at my leisure, instead of at 30mph.
    As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals... Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. - B. Obama 1/20/09

Nate love those HDR shots.
    Eric stuff looks great.
    great stuff guys

Scott

I really like that last one Scott.
    -Ryan
    - - - - - - -
    When you have given nothing, ask for nothing.

Thanks Ryan, Kinda like it too
    went down today to check on the tunnel.
    was relieved they hasn't started on yet.

Shot a bunch of HDR images today on it before hiting up downtown

My self portrait w/o a tripod In front my my fav piece the Angel . Look at the ugly guy. HEHE

Skyscraper Member
    *delete please*

Sorry for the hijack.
    Last edited by incrediculous; 19 September 2006 at 05:19 PM.

Skyscraper Member
    *delete this*
    Last edited by incrediculous; 19 September 2006 at 04:46 PM.

Skyscraper Member
    Last edited by Boredkid; 09 October 2006 at 08:36 PM.

Skyscraper Member
    *delete this*
    Last edited by incrediculous; 19 September 2006 at 04:46 PM.

Skyscraper Member
    Last edited by Boredkid; 09 October 2006 at 08:35 PM.

Skyscraper Member
    *delete this*
    Last edited by incrediculous; 19 September 2006 at 04:45 PM.

Skyscraper Member
    Last edited by Boredkid; 09 October 2006 at 08:35 PM.

what a shame
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

This art won't be saved!!!!

I am soory to report DART hasn't had any request to save the art!!
    so these piece and most of the rest on and in the tunnel will go!!

I am so PISSED!!!!
    Justin I will get you several chucks of of the art. I got a piece the size of me hand today
    One wall on the Eastbound side with has already been started to be wrecked.

Scott

[/QUOTE]

Me at Deep ellum tunnel

My freind terry shuck took these today

DART has added its own photos of the demolition: http://www.dart.org/news.asp?ID=714
    As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals... Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. - B. Obama 1/20/09

Not such a great picture, but construction traffic had me backed up in the tunnel so I took a pic this morning with my 1.2mpix camera phone (this version is resized down to 50%, on top of that).

The mud line shows the water level after the rains a week or so ago. I don't think the water was actually that high, though it could have been -- but some of the mud splatters were caused by the front-end loader that they used to get the water out. I happened to drive by after the rain had passed, and saw the operator driving into the water, loading up the scoop, and backing out. I can't imagine it's a very efficient way to drain the tunnel, but if the drainage has been destroyed by the demolition of the other half of the tunnel, then I guess that's about all you could do.

Low-Rise Member
    How could DART do this? This tunnel was my favorite part of Deep Ellum. I remember the first time I went there... a friend made sure he drove me and my other friends through the tunnel so we could get the full effect of the place.

I must hand it to you that these are beautiful pictures, but I think that if the Dallas city council and the DART people have it their way, they would put a Disney-style castle up in the place of every real landmark.

I can't fully express how upset this makes me. What I really don't understand is why didn't the DMA or someone else salvage the concrete panels and make the tunnel a piece in their collection? How great would it have been to know that you could always go to the DMA and see Dallas art. The real deal, made by our own. I guess that's a little too forward thinking.

Oh what a wicked tale does DART weave, see they kept saying "But not Officially" that a lot of the art was going to be preserved but when I saw pink paint used by the surveyors all over the place I knew the truth. DART DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT ART!

OH you SAY, DART IS ADVERTISING FOR ART RIGHT NOW FOR THE NEW RAIL STATION IN DEEP ELLUM!

But the truth be known, DART IS REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW TO SPEND X% of THE PROJECT BUDGET ON ART AND BEAUTIFICATION! So to truth is DART would not get one damn dime credit for any of the REAL ART that was on the tunnel against the REQUIRED BUDGET that they have to spend for ART on that line!

(I know an artist who did work for another station and she made nice pocket change for her work).

So don't think that DART IS A SUPPORTER OF THE ARTS, THEY ARE FORCED BY FEDERAL LAW TO SPEND MONEY ON ART!!!!!!!! If that federal law wasn't there they wouldn't spend a @#$%^&$*()_+! NICKLE ON ART!

Punk Rock Dinosaur
    It's really nice of people to be upset by the loss of art and all but the artists who painted the tunnel know full well how transient the medium is. They often paint over their own work when they think of something else and, although I don't know ALL the artists, I do know MOST of them and they were only slightly bummed by the loss of the tunnel art. The photo Scot t showed I recognize as a friend of mine "Ozone's"work and he was one of the original tunnel artists. Street art is by definition a transient art form and reflects the artist's mindset at the time. The new piece shows a lot of growth and it's great that he had the opportunity to do it without being arrested like he would have been in the old days. ('88-'90) He and Mosquito did stuff in the tunnel, as well as in the alley between Expo and 1st. ave at Parry and covered and re-painted fresh stuff over the old ones several times.To spend a hundred thousand dollars to remove and display concrete chunks at the DMV , to me, isn't a realistic option. I much prefer letting them show us their new work.
    To get the real information, go see Frank Campagna's (another of the artists) gallery "Kettle Art Gallery" and see where were headed rather than dwelling on what's past. All the artists are still producing great work in and around the area. Becky, another of the artists is now way into roller derby, along with her other pursuits, including painting.
    I agree that Dart doesn't give a damn and that their only concience comes from people like you but don't dispair. Art cannot be stopped even with bulldozers and lots of cash.

So to you ART is just a transient thing, man grow up!

I can truthfully say some of the items in that tunnel were over 10 years old and not just some recent repainting.

I documented the crap out of that place before DART came in and if you want to see what we LOST you can go to.
    http://www.pbase.com/demdeepellummus...attimer_tunnel

But what really IRKS me is that DART was putting out the word, or at least people had this perception and I think the DMN reported that they were going to preserve some of the ART from the site and it looks as if they had no respect as to what may be saved. Some of the best older works are already gone and I can see some artists saying so what if it is gone they want to PAY ME for this new station work.

So I guess under your thoughts any Petroglyphs and other rock art in the SW can be whitewashed over and repainted since they were basically just transitory work at the time many times just pointing out that someone was there or that certain animals hung in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by PGKPS
    So I guess under your thoughts any Petroglyphs and other rock art in the SW can be whitewashed over and repainted since they were basically just transitory work at the time many times just pointing out that someone was there or that certain animals hung in the area.
    I agree that DART hasn't been as forthcoming as they should have been about their plans for the tunnel and its artwork. However, those slabs of concrete would weigh hundreds of tons each, and there's the hard facts: 10 year old art <> 1,000 year old art.

All other alternatives involved damage to structures that were historic *before* they got a coat of graffiti. Would you prefer that DART run an overhead right next to the Knights of Pythias building? Or just demolish it altogether, and put a well-landscaped parking lot in its place.

Union Bankers/Knight of Pythias

Union Bankers needs a face lift. It is looking run down!!!
    It is on the preservation List of Endangered buildings

Spraypaint on concrete is pretty transient in my book. Take a picture, it'll last longer.

Even taking its short art history into consideration, I cannot lament replacing the car tunnel with a sidewalk promenade as place for local artists to get some exposure. The only thing that worries me is that DART intends the art-lined pedway from the DE station to Main St to be a collection of fixed pieces.

Mega-Tall Skyscraper Member BigD5349's Avatar
    Knights of Pythias isn't going anywhere. Westdale has been waiting on the DART station and the right economic climate to redevelop it.

Punk Rock Dinosaur

I can truthfully say some of the items in that tunnel were over 10 years old and not just some recent repainting.

I documented the crap out of that place before DART came in and if you want to see what we LOST you can go to.
    http://www.pbase.com/demdeepellummus...attimer_tunnel

But what really IRKS me is that DART was putting out the word, or at least people had this perception and I think the DMN reported that they were going to preserve some of the ART from the site and it looks as if they had no respect as to what may be saved. Some of the best older works are already gone and I can see some artists saying so what if it is gone they want to PAY ME for this new station work.

OK ........spray paint graffiti is as important as the Lascaux cave paintings.......interesting.
    I don't need to see your photos to know what was lost. I was there when it was made,when the artists were painting the tunnel and I'm sure they would be flattered at your outrage.
    Would you like to actually TALK to them about it? As I said, most of them are still here and making art unlike the natives who produced the petroglyphs. Frank's usually in Deep Ellum somewhere on a ladder, painting over some of his previous work. Look for a balding red haired guy in paint spattered jeans near a a beat up old pickup full of spray paint.

http://barrykooda.com/barypage.htm

Tunnel : Lascaux :: Sandcastle : Stonehenge

Gary C. Thomas : Stuart T Saunders?

hint

Hey, great pics.

It's a shame their tearing the tunnel out.

If you go to the intersection of Good Latimer and Commerce, I think my mural should still be up in that art park underneath Central. I don't have a picture of it, but it's of a girl singing into a microphone in this sort of style...

[IMG][/IMG]

Not the best thing I ever painted though.

Quote Originally Posted by barrykooda
    OK ........spray paint graffiti is as important as the Lascaux cave paintings.......interesting.
    I don't need to see your photos to know what was lost. I was there when it was made,when the artists were painting the tunnel and I'm sure they would be flattered at your outrage.
    Would you like to actually TALK to them about it? As I said, most of them are still here and making art unlike the natives who produced the petroglyphs. Frank's usually in Deep Ellum somewhere on a ladder, painting over some of his previous work. Look for a balding red haired guy in paint spattered jeans near a a beat up old pickup full of spray paint.

http://barrykooda.com/barypage.htm
    I've talked to Frank several times and actually have a piece that he did in my art collection.

No my biggest outrage is that before DART started to tear all this down, for no real reason other than that they can, they were saying to the community that they would be saving some of the art work to be moved to the station and of course that was just a flat out lie because they didn't want people being outraged by their actions of not respecting anything in their pathway.

Hell they have totally screwed up access to Fair Park from Exposition/Parry when they could have done the work in such a way as to not screw things up so bad but THEY ARE DART AND THEY WILL DO WHATEVER THE HELL THAT THEY WANT TOO JUST LIKE THEIR WANNEBE COPS!

Was still up a couple months back.
    Some other art scattered around the area
    http://www.pbase.com/demdeepellummus...m_dallas_shots

Punk Rock Dinosaur

Hell they have totally screwed up access to Fair Park from Exposition/Parry when they could have done the work in such a way as to not screw things up so bad but THEY ARE DART AND THEY WILL DO WHATEVER THE HELL THAT THEY WANT TOO JUST LIKE THEIR WANNEBE COPS!

"We are DART......Resistance is fiutile..."
    It would make a lot more sense to me if DART would take 1/4 the money they would have spent to save the existing tunnel art and PAY the original artists to do new station art.

Geez, will you quit your whining about DART's work on Main St.? You had a good point until then.

Ok, back to the part before the whining:

I've talked to Frank several times and actually have a piece that he did in my art collection.

No my biggest outrage is that before DART started to tear all this down, for no real reason other than that they can, they were saying to the community that they would be saving some of the art work to be moved to the station and of course that was just a flat out lie because they didn't want people being outraged by their actions of not respecting anything in their pathway.
    The details of DART's plans for the tunnel have been awfully vague. I too wish that they had been more up front about the whole thing. I suspect that someone in the Damage Control department said to keep the whole thing quiet, because it's hard to create a sound bite that puts a positive spin on it.

I see a worrisome leadership problem in that sort of thinking. A good leader would face the issue head-on and answer questions directly and honestly. But the information about Good-Latimer is hard to find and incomplete. Instead of building a reputation as an agency you can trust, it's built an attitude of distrust in the community. The situation in Love Field, where the neighborhood and city are slamming DART despite years of documented planning, may be just one of the effects of a public policy based on Damage Control and Spin.

I'm still hoping I'm wrong, though, and that DART will be as successful with the Green Line as they were with the Red and Blue lines. In fact, even if management is falling apart now, the Green Line should survive -- it's in the hands of the engineers now, at least from Inwood Station to Buckner Station. It's the agency's future plans -- the 2030 plan in particular -- that will suffer from any current management problems at DART.

People need to stop supporting evil DART. You will whine and whine and whine about them on here but then will be paying them tomorrow. If you don't let your money do the talking, then you certainly deserve part of the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by VectorWega
    People need to stop supporting evil DART. You will whine and whine and whine about them on here but then will be paying them tomorrow. If you don't let your money do the talking, then you certainly deserve part of the blame.
    Hmm.

Evil DART. Stop riding. Don't feed the beast. Fight the man!

Get in car. Drive. Pollute. Buy gas at $2.30/gal. Support Big Oil.

Given the choice, I'd rather support possibly-evil DART than demonstrably-evil EXXON.

Look at what I found in the coutyard where the The Gypsy Rose Tea courtyard, two item from the tunnel, the sign and the wire ball. I shot this from the roof of the Gypsy Rose Tea Room.

Yeah, as a rule I like to support my local evil organizations over the international ones. See it's harder to work for the international orgs and still get paid. While working on local orgs it easier to overtake the leaders and take all the money for yourself.

Thread Information