Thread: Dallas to Monterrey

Dallas to Monterrey

I just got back from visiting Monterrey, Mexico with my friend who is originally from there. First of all, what a fantastic city! I am a bit baffled that there isn't more international traffic between Dallas and Monterrey. Some may not find that a 12 hour trip in the car is short, but I consider it a small price to pay for going fom one world to another. Of course, the Texas transportaion corridor would certainly lift the ease on the horrible abomination known as I-35. Most people around here that I have talked to don't know anything about Monterrey. It has a very cosmopolitan atmosphere and there is more than enough English going around for those who are not bilingual. It strikes me as a place worth visiting moreso than Cancun. If I want to see Texas college students running around drunk, I can stay here. The only drawback of Monterrey is no beach. The weather was considerably cooler and the presence of palm trees and massive mountain ranges made up for the lack of an ocean view. Once I get my pics, I would like to post them in this forum, though they will not do it justice. Anyone know why Monterrey is such a secret to Texans?

Mile-High Skyscraper Member rantanamo's Avatar
    secret to North Texans.

I think most of the reasons you listed above like a 12 hour road trip and the fact that I-35 (especially the last segment from SA down to Laredo) is such a drag. Couple that with the fact that Laredo and Nuevo Laredo aren't the safest of towns for non-spanish speaking gringos and I think that makes a mental road block for those headed south.

I've never been to Monterry, but it sounds a lot lilke Phoenix to me.
    By the power of greyskull!

I agree with the Laredo thing. Honestly, I was a little worried about passing through because of all the stuff we've been hearing on the news about how unsafe Laredo was. However, once I got down there, it was surprisingly smooth. It only involves about 6 blocks of driving, and then you are on the open road again. I'm not all that sure why you are forced through the residential area of Nuevo Laredo, except it was a choice of bad road design.....we as Dallasites should be used to that! A more traffic friendly road into Mexico (keeping national security in mind) would make for easier flow around the residential areas. I've been to Phoenix a couple of times, and it does look alot like Monterrey, except the weather is much milder in Monterrey and of course, the cost to purchase things and go places has that nice inexpensive edge in Monterrey whereas in Phoenix, you pretty much are spending everything you have.

I drove through Monterrey last month in route to points further south. It is indeed a great city with a lot of mountains, tropical foliage, and points of interest. It is a great base to explore other areas including Saltillo and all its colonial architecture, the waterfalls at Cola de Caballo, the Grutas de Garcia, among other places.

People from Monterrey do come in droves to Texas for shopping. I run into them at almost every major shopping mall in Texas dropping tons of money.

-
    ^Why drive when you can easily fly on AA???

^That's what I'm wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzy
    I just got back from visiting Monterrey, Mexico with my friend who is originally from there. First of all, what a fantastic city! I am a bit baffled that there isn't more international traffic between Dallas and Monterrey. Some may not find that a 12 hour trip in the car is short, but I consider it a small price to pay for going fom one world to another. Of course, the Texas transportaion corridor would certainly lift the ease on the horrible abomination known as I-35. Most people around here that I have talked to don't know anything about Monterrey. It has a very cosmopolitan atmosphere and there is more than enough English going around for those who are not bilingual. It strikes me as a place worth visiting moreso than Cancun. If I want to see Texas college students running around drunk, I can stay here. The only drawback of Monterrey is no beach. The weather was considerably cooler and the presence of palm trees and massive mountain ranges made up for the lack of an ocean view. Once I get my pics, I would like to post them in this forum, though they will not do it justice. Anyone know why Monterrey is such a secret to Texans?
    Agree completely! I visited a friend attending Monterrey tech in the spring and it was a fantastic trip. Beautiful city and we spent a day driving up into the mountains south of town and hiking in Cola de Caballo park and Chipinque park. The mountains are lush and green, with outstanding views of the valley below. I have some pics, but I'm not sure how to upload them. We went to Barrio Antiqua the first night, and felt safe walking from the Sheraton downtown. English is spoken most places. You definitely know you're in Mexico, but it's worlds away from my border town experiences. The clubs are loud and crazy, give you bottle service on the cheap, and close late - good times.

Monterrey is consistently ranked the best Latin American city to do business in, its' proximity to the U.S. surely a factor. There is a ton of money there, and the close suburbs are as nice as anything you'll find in the U.S. People told me beforehand it was "Houston dropped into central Mexico". Couldn't disagree more. Reminded me more of Phoenix, but surrounded by lush, green mountains.

As for why it's relatively unknown, people have already touched on it. Proximity, no beaches, etc. You can find cheap last-minute flights on AA, but usually flights are close to $400, pretty pricey for less than 2-hr flight (compared to domestic). I also think people are fearful of inner-mexico and the cartels, but this is mainly a border problem. My friend and girlfriend drive back and forth to Texas all the time.

the-young-and-the-bright RobertB's Avatar
    I'd love to drive through Mexico someday, but my biggest fear is that I'll be involved in a minor accident, and be forced to give all my cash to a corrupt cop -- or worse, if I don't have "enough", spend enough time in a Mexican jail for my bank account to be completely emptied. Until the country's reputation for corruption can be addressed, I just don't see Mexico attracting casual drive-through tourists outside of the resorts.
    As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals... Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. - B. Obama 1/20/09

Mega-Tall Skyscraper Member AeroD's Avatar

Flying to Monterrey

The reason why many folks don't fly to Monterrey is because you can get a cheaper ticket to London from DFW than you can to Monterrey. (Perhaps a slight exaggeration but flying to Monterrey can be pricey)
    Tighten the female dog!

Thread Information