Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UTSW Medical Center Dallas - Projects & Construction

UTSW Medical Center Dallas - Projects & Construction

Their building on Inwood and Harry Hines keeps expanding and expanding. Higher and higher. Does anyone have an illustration of the final building?

I wish it was more visible from I-35 because the lighting for the building is really spectacular. The corner of each block are 3 or 4 stories of glass bricks lit from behind with white light. If you drive east on Inwood at night, the building will take your breath away!!!

Perhaps someone with a digital camera will volunteer to take a picture....
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

Low-Rise Member
    I work in a building just across the courtyard from the new building. I think it's final height is going to be either 14 or 16 stories high. Right now it's a 12, so just a few more to go.

Skyscraper Member
    Do you think you might could get a picture for us of where it currently stands, construction wise?

Sorry so blurry. Auto focus was off on accident.

This was in the lobby. It is by that Seattle glass artist but I can't remember his name. This is 20 feet tall!! It was awesome!

Thumbs up

wow, those are fantastic pictures boozo. Thank you for taking them. How long have these three strucutres been under construction? I missed a lot of this. Were you able to freely walk around inside them?

Yeah, the whole thing is occupado while the construction is going on in the other sections.

Mid-Rise Member
    The Seattle glass artist is Dale Chihuly, I think he has pieces in DMA and he did the ceiling at Bellagio. http://www.chihuly.com/

That thing looks awesome. 20 ft.!?!? Wow.
    Last edited by JaeTex; 13 March 2003 at 04:55 PM.

Low-Rise Member
    These buildings are considered the North Campus of the Dallas Medical Center. There is currently only one large building under construction, and it is my understanding the the final height will be 16 stories (not sure if that includes the two levels of parking below grade). Construction started about a year and a half ago, and last summer they finally started pouring the foundation. This complex will be home to research labs, and nothing else. A few weeks ago there was an article discussing how Dallas doesn't have any major research institutions and that it will hurt the economy in the long run. I laughed and dismissed the rest of that misinformed article, b/c UT Southwestern is a top 15 (borderline top 10) research institution in the country. In the last few rankings that take into account only publication quality, UTSW has ranked ahead of schools like Harvard and UCSF. This medical complex will continue to grow and will hopefully begin fueling a fledgling biotech sector here in Big D.

Low-Rise Member
    By the way, I'm still trying to get a digital camera so I can take some pics. There is another angle of the complex I'd really like to get posted so you can see how magnificent this new building is.

His work at The Bellagio is unbelievable! WOW!

Mile-High Skyscraper Member rantanamo's Avatar
    The research university article was ridiculous. Otherwise UT Arlington would not be threatening to leave the UT system. For those that haven't heard, the UT regents were to designate their "third" (an order of time more than importance) major research University. The school chosen was UTD, meaning they will get increased research dollars as UT Southwestern med center and UT do. On the news they said the UT system will mold UTD into a highly nationally ranked research university. UTA alumns are really angry about this and have presented a bill to allow them to vote to form their own board of regents. So that article was really behind the curve on what's going on.

Skyscraper Member
    Awesome! I'm really glad to see that Dallas is moving ahead with fixing problems just as people are noticing and pointing them out. And we can always point and laugh at those people who say "Dallas is a weak city because..." when we simply point out how it's fixing the very things they say are all that need to be fixed!

When you say 3rd, in time more than importance, do they intend it as importance as well, or is it possible UTD will be shaped into the most powerful research center in Texas, assuming it thrives under the $$ given, and gets more and more $$ as time goes on? Or will the UT system try and keep the main campus #1?

The UT main campus will probably never be caught in research in Texas. The sheer number of alumni donating along with state dollars have risen UT to #2 in research dollars, and top 10 ranked graduate programs in most disciplines it offers. Lots of policy would have to change first in the regents board.

I know for certain they believe in the main campus method with specialty campuses supporting the main campus They say the "right ingredients" are there for UTD to do what they want it to do, which is be the top university in North Texas and one of the tops in the state. This is what I gather from past regent meetings reported on when I was in Austin. I don't know if that means A UCLA to UC Berkely kind of thing in relation to UT. OR strictly a research facility. I don't know if that means bigger school, football, whatever. But, from the story I saw on NBC 5 today, those plans are going forward and UTA seemed to want the vote to go their way so badly that they would rather leave the UT system than play second fiddle to UTD. So it looks like Dallas will have it's major reasearch U.

Mid-Rise Member
    Correction. Richardson will have a major research university in UTD. Though if DART rail would serve UTD directly I'd be satisfied.

Actually UT SW is a tremendous asset. I hear that the medical complex surrounding it though (Parkland, St. Paul, Childrens', etc.) does not compare to Houston's medical complex.

But UT SW is a research powerhouse. I think they have 4 Nobel laureates on staff. And that this is the result of a decision long ago to target up and coming talent or persons who are the guys in their field and recruiting them to Dallas. A can do attitude.

Wow, in the paper it says they want 'flagship' status for UTD. That means money as well to recruit top professors as they do at UT. That is a market change in language from just a year or two ago where they wanted UT to be the sole flagship school. Looks like the UCLA: UC Berkeley to UTD:UT looks more relevant now. I know that UTA and UTEP had always been the main players for the next tier of money, so I can see why UTA is pissed. Great news for Dallas. Looks like that major university is well on it's way.

I looked at a map to find I was confusing UT-Dallas (Richardson) with Univ of Dallas (Irving). It appears that next door to UTD in Richardson is Texas A&M Research Center. What's up with that?
    Perhaps Texas pride will enable a double dose of research dollar availability.

If the UT system is going to favor Dallas over Arlington, UTA may be better served by a change. I'm just guessing that UTA would continue as a state school, but the money would come directly from the state rather than the UT system. Is that right?

A name change to The University at Arlington and answering to a different boss could give new life to a growing school, or it could fail by being the overacheiver spread too thin. Political clout in Tarrant county and supportive Dallas county could bring more options to UTA, and I hope the separation happens.

Unsure how up to date this info is:

UT Southwestern Biomedical Research Center Phase 4
    A Cost-Effective Solution in Two Stages
    As the fourth installation in a six-part master plan for the north campus of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, a new biomedical research center had been planned for some time. However, certain variables made it difficult to identify which users would be occupying the space. Rather than designing and building out the space based largely on client speculation, which would likely have resulted in numerous change orders and cost overruns, Omniplan developed a plan to design and bid the project in two stages. First, Omniplan designed an enclosed structural shell for the 16-story structure, which could easily be finished out at a later date. Then, once the school had identified the users, Omniplan was able to work directly with them to design an optimal interior, complete with a conference center, animal resource center, and faculty and staff dining. In addition to the research facility, this project also encompassed underground and aboveground parking structures, a landscaped plaza, and expansion of the thermal energy plant.

http://www.omniplan.com/wn_utswmc_IV.html

New Biomed Lab for UT Southwestern Med Center
    Visit: http://texas.construction.com/news/b...ive/0510.asp#1

McCarthy recently began preconstruction work on a new 75,000-sq.-ft. laboratory at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. The project requires McCarthy to utilize specially trained staff and clean-construction protocol. The project is slated to begin in mid-2006 and complete in late 2007.

UT Southwestern Project to Start

McCarthy Building Co Inc. recently began construction
    work on a new 75,000-sq.-ft. laboratory to house biomedical
    research facilities at the University of Texas Southwestern
    medical Center at Dallas.
    (Rendering courtesy Perkins+Will, Dallas)

McCarthy Building Co. Inc. recently began preconstruction work on a new 75,000-sq.-ft. laboratory to house biomedical research facilities at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas at an anticipated construction cost of $20 million.

As one of the foremost research facilities in the world, UT Southwestern educates scientists whose research advances the frontiers of biomedical research and whose iscoveries benefit society. UT Southwestern conducts more than 2,500 research projects annually totaling more than $331 million.

The new UT Southwestern laboratory project is designed to provide researchers located on its South Campus convenient access to a clean environment to support their biomedical research. To achieve the sterile conditions required for such a facility, McCarthy is utilizing not only its specially trained staff, but specialized clean-construction protocol. Construction is anticipated to begin in mid-2006 and complete in late 2007.

McCarthy is providing a complete array of preconstruction services for the UT Southwestern laboratory project, ranging from the programming phase of design through construction commencement in the fall 2005. Estimating, value analysis, scheduling, constructability reviews and logistical analysis are among the services McCarthy will provide prior to mobilizing on site. McCarthy is working with UT Southwestern and its designer, Perkins+Will of Dallas.

New Advanced Medical Imaging Building
    at UT Southwestern named for Bill and Rita Clements
    http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/...es/275275.html

DALLAS — Feb 9, 2006 — Former Texas Gov. William P. "Bill" Clements Jr. has given $10 million to Southwestern Medical Foundation to complete the construction and equipping of a new state-of-the-art research and clinical building, featuring modern imaging technologies, at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

The UT System Board of Regents today approved the naming of the Biomedical Research and Advanced Imaging Building at UT Southwestern as the "Bill and Rita Clements Advanced Medical Imaging Building," in recognition of the significant contributions to higher education and academic medicine of Gov. Clements and his wife. It will house some of the world's largest and most sophisticated imaging equipment — including one of the nation's first 7-Tesla magnetic resonance imaging devices for human studies — and will encourage collaborative research efforts among UT Southwestern and other institutions to accelerate research into new diagnostic tests and treatments for debilitating neurological and metabolic illnesses.

"We have been supporters of UT Southwestern since its early years, and I've always been proud of my association with the medical center, which I regard as an important asset to the state of Texas," said Gov. Clements, whose gift will benefit the medical center's $500 million Innovations in Medicine campaign. "The new building will be a great addition to the campus, and we're happy to be a part of the future of biomedical research in this way."

UT Southwestern president Dr. Kern Wildenthal called Gov. and Rita Clements "true champions of Texas, higher education and medical science."

"This gift is monumental, and it will transform UT Southwestern's clinical and research programs in the most exciting area of medicine for the 21st century," Dr. Wildenthal said. "We are profoundly grateful for the extraordinary leadership of Bill and Rita Clements, whose generosity will enable us to complete a building that will be the envy of the rest of the country."

William T. Solomon, chairman of the Innovations in Medicine campaign and chairman of Austin Industries, said, "Bill and Rita Clements have always been innovators, and so it's especially fitting that this extraordinary gift enables the completion of the most cutting-edge facility on UT Southwestern's campus."

Dr. Craig Malloy, holder of the Richard A. Lange Chair in Cardiology and medical director of the new Advanced Imaging Research Center, which will be housed in part of the Clements Building, said, "The basic science and clinical impact of advanced imaging is widely agreed to be a critical element of new approaches to patient care. The new building will provide a dramatic expansion of imaging research and clinical capabilities at UT Southwestern."

The Clements Building — the latest addition to the UT Southwestern North Campus — will also house the Mary Nell and Ralph B. Rogers Magnetic Resonance Imaging Center, established in 1991 to provide MRI diagnostic tests for UT Southwestern patients.

The new Clements Building is a six-story structure containing 150,000 square feet of space. Core funding for the facility was provided by $56 million in bonds authorized by the 2003 Texas Legislature with the support of Speaker of the House Tom Craddick. The Clements funds will enable the building to be completed with the latest of modern equipment throughout.

The Clements Building will include 18 specially designed bays for clinical and research imaging devices. The largest of these will house the new 7-Tesla magnet, made available to UT Southwestern through a special federal appropriation of $7 million, championed by U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison. The 7T magnet is roughly 140,000 times more powerful than the Earth's magnetic field and is capable of the highest-resolution imaging currently available. MR images at 7T allow investigators to observe exquisitely small anatomical structures never before seen in the living human brain.

Dr. A. Dean Sherry, director of the Advanced Imaging Research Center, anticipates new applications for visualizing cellular function and a dramatic collaborative effort not only among researchers at UT Southwestern, but also between scientists at several other institutions from North Texas and beyond, including UT Arlington and UT Dallas. Dr. Sherry has a joint appointment as professor of radiology at UT Southwestern and professor of chemistry at UT Dallas, where he holds the Cecil and Ida Green Honors Chair.

"The possibilities are almost limitless," he said.

The $10 million gift from Gov. Clements follows his previous $1.25 million donation in 1998 to endow the Rita C. and William P. Clements Jr. Fund for Scholars in Medical Science.

Gov. Clements was Texas' first Republican governor since Reconstruction. He served two four-year terms (1979-1983, 1987-1991), making him the longest-sitting governor in the state's history.

In 1947 he founded SEDCO, which eventually became the world's largest oil and gas drilling contractor. He served as chairman of the board of SEDCO until 1985, one year after it merged with Schlumberger Limited.

Gov. Clements has also been an adviser to U.S. presidents. From 1969 through the early 1980s, he served on the president's Commission on Central America, the President's Commission on Strategic Forces and Department of Defense Blue Ribbon Defense Panel, and Deputy Secretary of Defense in the Nixon and Ford administrations.

A 1939 alumnus of Southern Methodist University, he served on the SMU Board of Governors for many years and as its board chairman. SMU has honored Gov. Clements with the Mustang Award for longtime service and philanthropy, an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree and the SMU Distinguished Alumni Award.

Rita Crocker Clements was appointed to the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System in November 1996 by then Gov. George W. Bush and was reappointed by Gov. Rick Perry in April 2001. She currently is vice chairman of the Board and chairs its Health Affairs Committee. She has served as a director of the UT Investment Management Company and as director of Team Bank and Bank One, Texas, as well as La Quinta Motor Inns and the Dr Pepper Co.

Mrs. Clements was named Distinguished Alumna of UT Austin in 1991. She has been a member of the UT Austin development board and served on the executive council of the university's Ex-Students' Association. She also serves as a life board member of the Hockaday School and served as chairman of the board of the Willis M. Tate Distinguished Lecture Series at SMU, and as chairman of the Salvation Army Dallas Metroplex Advisory Board.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....8af5f938.html
    UT Southwestern plans biotech park to capitalize on research

12:12 PM CDT on Thursday, September 18, 2008

By JASON ROBERSON / The Dallas Morning News
    jroberson@dallasnews.com

UT Southwestern Medical Center said Thursday it is building a biotech park to develop and make money off of its medical discoveries.

The 500,000 square-foot, four-building development dubbed BioCenter at Southwestern Medical District will be built on 13 acres purchased from the city of Dallas for $4.1 million, located near the medical center’s campus on Inwood Road.

“We’re an untapped resource,” said Dennis Stone, vice president for technology development at UT Southwestern. “Ninety-five percent of biotechnology companies are founded on university-based inventions, so it makes imminent sense to have the development center in immediate proximity to the scientists who are creating new technologies.”

The first building, costing $50 million, will be ready for occupancy in summer 2009.

BioCenter is expected to serve the full spectrum of the biotechnology and biodevice industry, offering space to both fledgling and mature companies, Mr. Stone said.

He called the development a “public-private relationship” with industry and scientific progress driving each other. For example, AT&T Inc. said Thursday it is contributing $750,000 to create an incubation entrepreneurial area at BioCenter.

“Science is spurring important medical advances at a phenomenal rate, and there’s been an evolution in the commercialization process over the past five or six years as we’ve begun to capitalize on our scientists and their discoveries,” Mr. Stone said.

Already UT Southwestern discoveries have led to several spin-off companies, including:

• Myogen Inc., a Colorado-based biopharmaceutical company focusing on treatments for cardiovascular disorders. The company was sold in 2006 to Gilead Sciences Inc. for $2.5 billion.

• Light Biology Inc., a genetic analysis technology company that was acquired by NimbleGen Systems Inc. of Madison, Wis.

• Joyant Pharmaceuticals, a Dallas-based drug-discovery company focused on the development of small-molecule therapeutics for cancer.

• Eliance Biotechnology, which was acquired in 2002 by MacroGenics Inc., a Maryland-based company developing immunotherapeutics for cancer, infectious diseases and autoimmune disorders.

• Reata Pharmaceuticals Inc., pioneered by UT Southwestern scientists in September 2002 to develop cancer and neurodegenerative drugs.

The site for BioCenter was purchased with profits UT Southwestern received from its technology transfer program. Since 1984 more than 550 UT Southwestern researchers have been named as inventors on more than 1,200 inventions, according to the school’s public relations department. Revenue from more than 300 licenses generated more than $110 million for UT Southwestern since 1984.

Fact Sheet
    http://www.biocenterdallas.com/UTSW....FINAL_May2.pdf

Very nice, more good news to this underdeveloped area of Dallas. Hopefully this will provide a bit more incentive for other projects in the area.

Here is a link again to the BioCenter at Southwestern Medical District mentioned up above:
    http://biocenterdallas.com/

Construction photo(s) aren't quite current, but, maybe it'll get updated in the near future.

Urban/Street photographer SDORN's Avatar
    Troy If I get time I will try and update this In 2009

Former Texas Gov. Bill Clements giving $100 million to UT Southwestern Medical Center
    06:25 AM CDT on Friday, June 12, 2009
    By BOB MOOS / The Dallas Morning News
    bmoos@dallasnews.com
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.281edb8.html

Former Texas Gov. Bill Clements is giving $100 million to UT Southwestern Medical Center, the largest single gift in the institution's history and perhaps the biggest one-time financial pledge to any civic body in Dallas history, UT Southwestern officials will announce Friday.

The donation comes with no restrictions on its use, a rarity for a gift of such size, medical center officials say.

"To those who may have questioned the prospects for philanthropy in a time of economic uncertainty, Bill Clements has answered in a profound and extraordinarily selfless way," said Dr. Daniel Podolsky, president of UT Southwestern.

Clements, who's 92 and lives in Dallas, said in a written statement that he hopes the university can leverage his donation to attract other contributions.

"My goal in supporting UT Southwestern," he said, "is to help encourage and advance scientific discovery and innovation, prepare the next generation of physicians for Texas and the nation, and ensure the delivery of world-class medical care."

Mega-Tall Skyscraper Member AeroD's Avatar
    With UTMB hurting, this is a really great opportunity for UT- Southwestern to shine.
    Tighten the female dog!

Done
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroD
    With UTMB hurting, this is a really great opportunity for UT- Southwestern to shine.
    UTMB was just given a LARGE chunk of funding to square things away

Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    UTMB was just given a LARGE chunk of funding to square things away
    We shall see how long it takes to square things away. If it were up to certain influential budget-writers, UTMB would move to higher ground.
    Tighten the female dog!

Done
    We shall see how long it takes to square things away. If it were up to certain influential budget-writers, UTMB would move to higher ground.
    the UT System has settled the matter and the money for it has been passed in HB51 having been added on last minute to clean several things up and make several happy

Low-Rise Member
    Ouch!!!!!!!!

UTMB has already begun the repair process... and the combined repair money that the state has approved is in excess of $1 Billion dollars. With that amount of funding on the way, I suspect they will be able to rebuild and be successful again.

Perpetual Amateur
    (edited to quote the above, for those who view in indented mode)

Perpetual Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by totheskies
    Ouch!!!!!!!!

UTMB has already begun the repair process... and the combined repair money that the state has approved is in excess of $1 Billion dollars. With that amount of funding on the way, I suspect they will be able to rebuild and be successful again.
    The best doctors who had located there have had a lot of uncertainty this year. Do you know that they have not already been forced to move to more stable jobs elsewhere? It is hard to make it up to faculty for what has happened merely by rebuilding.

I love Galveston more than the next guy in most cases, and despise UT-Southwestern more than the next guy for unrelated reasons: but you get precious little synergy from putting money into UTMB and John Sealy. There isn't much track record of it either - *nobody* has found much of a way to get synergy with Galveston. But Even if you didn't have the option of reinforcing a rising UTSW that is drawing private donations and a Parkland that is fixing to get a physical plant that preps it (and a larger neighborhood) for effective use, our UTMB would still be a facility with limited promise. Now long-term, as far as the investment picture, if North Texas wants to have any hope of putting an asterisk beside the Texas Medical Center down I-45 in between the two, then even the current level of development will not be ample.
    Last edited by I45Tex; 15 June 2009 at 11:52 PM.

Some construction photos from throughout last year:
    http://commercial.austinprojects.com/UTSW/progress.htm

Low-Rise Member
    Don't know if this has been reported but its part the medical district site of new Parkland Hospital:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...D9DG2MSO2.html

Two Years Later, City Council to Get Peek at Southwestern Medical District Area Plan
    By Robert Wilonsky in News You Can Actually Use, Actually
    Mon., Feb. 15 2010 @ 10:17AM
    http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa..._council_t.php

​Actually, it's the "Stemmons Corridor-Southwest Medical District Plan," which has been simmering since 2008 as officials from UT Southwestern, Love Field, Crow Holdings, Parkland and so forth worked with area residents to hash out the (transit-oriented) development details. Nothing's final yet -- that's a few months-plus off -- but tomorrow, the council's Economic Development Committee will be briefed on what's what thus far. In short, the city wants to turn Stemmons into the "signature gateway corridor into Central Dallas" while transforming the rest of the area into some mixed-use combination of Victory Park and the West Village, if I read my briefings right.

Whatever the plan's end result, it'll be a mammoth undertaking divided into four parts labeled, respectively: the Inwood/Denton DART Station Area, the Southwestern Medical District/Parkland DART Station Area, the Hi Line Corridor: Victory-Design District Connection and the Wycliff/Sylvan Trinity Portal Area. Among the improvements identified as necessary: "Implement complete street design improvements on Inwood and Maple to foster pedestrian and bike between between the DART station, area destinations and trails"; "use TIF incentives and urban design standards to encourage mixed use development south of Medical District with street activating ground-floor uses along Medical District Drive and Bengal"; "establish a linkage from Design District to Victory along the Hi Line Trail connector from Katy Trail to Trinity Strand Trail"; and "explore feasibility of a streetcar route along Irving Boulevard linking Trinity Meanders to Downtown."

City Brief: http://www.dallascityhall.com/forwar...nsCorridor.pdf

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...123136eed.html

UT Southwestern to build new university hospital on Harry Hines Boulevard

The board of regents at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas approved plans today for a new university hospital to be located on Harry Hines Boulevard north of Record Crossing.

"Given the limitations of our current facility at University Hospital-St. Paul, we need a new replacement hospital as a base for being able to fully achieve our aspirations to provide world-class patient care in a comprehensive, state-of-the-art academic medical center," Dr. Daniel K. Podolsky, president of UT Southwestern Medical Center, said in an e-mail to employees.

The Dallas Morning News first learned of new hospital on Jan. 22 when Kirk Kirksey, UT Southwestern’s chief information officer, tipped off plans for the hospital while speaking on a panel in Addison sponsored by the Healthcare Management Information Systems Society.

UT Southwestern delayed confirming the plans for the hospital until employees were notified.

The planning process was launched in December. A dozen groups, including nurses, physician assistants, technicians and administrators, are now developing recommendations for the new hospital.

Podolsky said the hospital must "promote innovative patient care and integrate it with attention to the needs of students and trainees and support for clinical and translational research."

Recommendations related to hospital programming and schematic design will be presented in March. Architects will then develop more detailed plans.

A comprehensive proposal will be submitted to the board of regents for final approval in November.

Appears to be an impressive medical complex developing along the Stemmons corridor. Could this area ever become like a TMC north?
    Last edited by Mr Carter; 16 February 2010 at 03:13 PM.

Frank Lloyd Wright Member
    These places are the factories of the 21st century. Whether by good planning or just luck, DART looks to line up well with these locations. Their proximity is going to have a far greater impact on housing and travel patterns than relatively minor things (that get all the focus) like stadiums and restaurants. Soon 25% of GNP will flow through these places or the network of buildings (doctors' offices, diagnostic clinics, assisted care facilities, etc.) around them. While entertainment, including sports, will become increasing decentralized, these facilities will be the primary concentrators of physical human activity. While electronics will aggressively reduce density in almost every other activity, health care will continue to require physical contact.

We'll see as matter of course the much prized density. It won't be the the beautiful people in cafes. It'll be an army of 70+ year olds moving back and forth on canes, walkers, and carts.

Quote Originally Posted by mjblazin
    We'll see as matter of course the much prized density. It won't be the the beautiful people in cafes. It'll be an army of 70+ year olds moving back and forth on canes, walkers, and carts.
    Are you getting there, MJ?
    Tighten the female dog!

Frank Lloyd Wright Member
    To quote Jack Nicholson in the Departed when one of his soldiers states his mother is on the way out: "Aren't we all?"
    We are all getting there. I'm just less than 2 decades away.

Quote Originally Posted by mjblazin
    These places are the factories of the 21st century.
    This may be the most prophetic statement posted to this forum.

University of Texas regents approve $800 million UT Southwestern hospital for Dallas
    12:00 AM CDT on Friday, August 13, 2010
    jroberson@dallasnews.com
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.26d2f9d.html

The University of Texas System Board of Regents approved plans Thursday for an $800 million hospital on the campus of UT Southwestern Medical Center to replace the St. Paul hospital.

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board is expected to make a decision on the plans within a month, said Tim Doke, spokesman for UT Southwestern.

If approved, the 1.3 million-square-foot hospital will sit on 32 acres along the southbound side of Harry Hines Boulevard, north of Record Crossing, between Mockingbird Lane and Inwood Road.

The 12-story hospital will have 424 beds, 24 operating rooms, 40 emergency rooms, a helicopter pad and a 450-car parking garage.

The board is pushing to build the hospital now while interest rates are low. Regents hope to issue the debt in the form of fixed-rate bonds later this year to lock in an interest rate of less than 4 percent.

Construction will start in March and be completed in September 2014.

So, this brings the big, new hospital investment in to the Stemmons Corridor up to an impressive $2 Billion.

Do the VA and/or Children's Hospitals have expansion plans? Yet? Considering the rapidly expanding population of so,ldiers and children, seems like they'll both need additional facilities.

The growth potential of UTSW may be more than any other North Texas campus. I'm not sure how the medical industries incubator is doing, but I'm do know that it'll be an uphill climb for North Texas to become a more prominent BioTech & Pharma hub....

It's probably too early to really start talking about the blurring business district boundaries between the Stemmons Corridor and the Central Business District, but it's coming. Just like Los Angeles pioneered the sprawling Sunbelt suburbs, Dallas is pioneering the Linear Business District.

Announcement on UTSW's website with more info:
    http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/...es/602750.html

Supertall Skyscraper Member
    ^^^
    Looks like a really nice hotel. It would fit in well on that empty lot in Victory Park. (Note to Germans.. a hospital would do a lot for Victory. lol) I like it a lot.

High-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamtagon
    So, this brings the big, new hospital investment in to the Stemmons Corridor up to an impressive $2 Billion.

Do the VA and/or Children's Hospitals have expansion plans? Yet? Considering the rapidly expanding population of soldiers and children, seems like they'll both need additional facilities.

The growth potential of UTSW may be more than any other North Texas campus. I'm not sure how the medical industries incubator is doing, but I'm do know that it'll be an uphill climb for North Texas to become a more prominent BioTech & Pharma hub....

It's probably too early to really start talking about the blurring business district boundaries between the Stemmons Corridor and the Central Business District, but it's coming. Just like Los Angeles pioneered the sprawling Sunbelt suburbs, Dallas is pioneering the Linear Business District.

What do soldiers have to do with anything?

High-Rise Member F4shionablecHa0s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xen0blue
    What do soldiers have to do with anything?
    VA = Veterans Affairs

$800mm for twelve stories eh? I was hoping the UTSW/Parkland expansions would help Dallas med district look more like Texas med center in Houston. That place is a city unto itself! And looking at google maps, I can see only one site that fits the description on the presser: Southbound side of Harry Hines, between Inwood & Mock, on Record crossing. Too bad it won't be anywhere close to the Green Line.

PS I would embed the google map of it, but I can't figure out how to do it! I copy/paste the embed code provided by google, but it doesn't work when I preview. Little help?

Supertall Skyscraper Member
    ..... I've heard few people in Dallas ever refer to Dallas' hospital district as "the hospital district" or "medical district". Plus all the hospitals are scattered with very little connecting any of it together. Maybe rail will help with that.
    Last edited by tamtagon; 19 August 2010 at 08:29 AM.

Please Drive Normally. Random Traffic Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vman
    Maybe rail will help with that.
    Yes, and SWMD (The overall District entity, similar but not yet as active as the Texas Medical Center organization level that supports the various hospitals in Houston) is working on plans for means of connection between the rail stations (TRE, Parkland/SWMD, and Inwood) and all the institutions. UTSW already has a starter line with their shuttle connector overpass. Unfortunately the District is a mix of very different institutions with different funding and different users, so it will take a while to become a real district with a unique identity.

The new University Hospital is north of the existing University Hospital/St.Pauls, in that parcel between Record Crossing and Mockingbird. The old St Paul buildings will be taken up with expanded clinic uses and replacing the UTSW buildings that are being taken out for the new hospital.
    "Deaths on the road are to today's criminal justice system what domestic violence was in the past: as natural & inevitable as the weather."
    @BicycleAdagio

Thread Information