Thread: DART to Texoma, kinda

the-young-and-the-bright RobertB's Avatar

DART to Texoma, kinda

This nugget is in the minutes from DART's Feb 14, 2006 board meeting:
    10. Approval of a Shuttle Bus Access Agreement with the Texoma Area Paratransit System (TAPS)

Approval of Resolution No. 060016 authorizing the President/ Executive Director or his designee to execute a three-year Shuttle Bus Access Agreement with the Texoma Area Paratransit Systems (TAPS), in substantially the form as show in Attachment 1 (on file in the Office of Board Support).

Mr. Carlson seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.
    As I recall, there was quite a dispute a couple of years back about Sherman/Denison shuttle buses dropping off patrons at Plano DART stations. Hopefully, "Resolution No. 060016" will lead to a permanent solution -- and a bus bay labelled "To Oklahoma via TAPS".

It's hard to find a definitive link for TAPS. In the "announcements" section of the Sherman-Denison Metroplitan Planning Organization is the note "Service for the express bus (TEX) from the Sherman - Denison area to Plano DART has started!! (903) 893-4601 x221". But TAPS' offical site seems to be this page at the Texoma Council of Governments site. Although it's listed under the site's "Aging" category, the page notes that "TAPS is a non-profit, public transportation system providing transportation to persons of all ages."

I'd call the 903 number, but we're in the middle of a big project at work, and the last thing I need to do is get on the phone talking about a day trip to far southern Oklahoma. No, that's the next-to-last thing I should be doing. The last thing I should be doing on a busy day like this is reading DART's board meeting minutes...
    As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals... Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. - B. Obama 1/20/09

Some guy
    Interesting. Keep us updated RobertB

the-young-and-the-bright RobertB's Avatar
    Ok, here's one: the station description for DART's northern terminus, Parker Road Station, lists the following:

Connecting Bus Routes:
    234 (M-F), 350 (M-S), 410, 451,
    DART On-Call North Central Plano and East Plano (M-F),
    TI Shuttle - Spring Creek (M-F), TAPS Shuttle (to/from Sherman, M-F)

Parker Road appears to be the only station served by TAPS.
    As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals... Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. - B. Obama 1/20/09

Very interesting stuff RobertB. I wonder how Sherman will play in the Metroplex's transportation plans in the future. No time to think of this now...BACK TO WORK!

Some guy
    In ten years, Sherman will be the next Plano, Frisco, McKinney, etc.

What would make sense for Sherman / Denison are commuter rail lines like the TRE. Even if they went only as far as the nearest DART station, (Parker Lane now), they would connect that area to Downtown. Express trains from Sherman to Downtown might work too if the ridership is there.

As the decades go by, the light rail will probably head north anyway. By 2050 it may reach that far North.

Texoma is a popular lake / camping destination. I can see transit from DFW metro all the way to Texoma would be cool...but where at Texoma would the line end up? You need a final destination; is there a little town up there that serves as the 'hub" for Texoma area? You know....where do people buy beer?

Thread Information