Thread: Seeking pics of Olla Podrida

Question Seeking pics of Olla Podrida

does anyone have any photos of the interior or exterior of Olla Podrida, the old artists mall that used to be over on Coit Road? i've only found two online, from an old advert for the place.

Mega-Tall Skyscraper Member BigD5349's Avatar
    Here's an interior shot...

beautiful! where did this come from? it looked so much larger inside when i was a kid...

Mega-Tall Skyscraper Member BigD5349's Avatar
    I scanned it from a 1978 book called "Dallasights"...

It is chock full of photos from that era, semi-rare, and very interesting to look through. It's the only place I've seen a picture of the interior of Town East Mall as I remember it from when I was a kid.

Urban/Street photographer SDORN's Avatar
    Good find dude!!! Been looking for one myself.

Mid-Rise Member
    You might check with the doll house lady who is now at Preston and Forrest - good luck

the-young-and-the-bright RobertB's Avatar
    Any idea where exactly on Preston/Forest? I'd love to see those dollhouses again!

The sand candle folks at West End started out at Olla Podrida, if I remember correctly. After West End fell apart, I think they went back to Waxahachie, but I don't know if they opened up a store there. It's been years. I remember five years ago or more, my family was at the Wal-Mart in Wax and they were with us in line and said hi -- they remembered *us* better than we remembered *them*! I figure it's because our three young kids had set some sort of record for *not* breaking things and being polite.
    As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals... Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. - B. Obama 1/20/09

I've been doing some more research on the topic, and though i'd share the additional photos and images i've found. I've put them all in a flickr set here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76280z/...th/5460173903/

Perpetual Amateur
    http://www.historicaerials.com/aeria...0622&year=2001 shows it all the way back to 1958 when it was an indoor dealership, according to documents Sully found.

If it's any consolation, the buildings that replaced it won Texas Construction's judges award for design in 2006. (readable www.andresconstruction.com/akiba.pdf or here)

and we got this great thread out of it.

Thread Information