Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Hill: Uptown Village Shopping Center

Cedar Hill: Uptown Village Shopping Center

A new stop for shopping in Cedar Hill
    Center in Cedar Hill will house 2 department stores, dozens of shops

10:08 PM CST on Thursday, November 4, 2004
    By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...hill.9fbb.html

Cedar Hill is about to get one of the largest suburban shopping centers ever built in southern Dallas County. Uptown Village in Cedar Hill will be a 700,000-square-foot retail project near U.S. Highway 67 and Pleasant Run Road. Developers are planning at least two department stores and dozens of shops, restaurants and entertainment venues. The 73-acre complex will be built by Dallas-based MGHerring Group. Company president M.G. "Buddy" Herring said construction is scheduled to start next year, and the opening is planned for early 2007. Dillard's has agreed to be one of the anchors in the project, and brokers say MGHerring is negotiating with other retailers, including Foley's department store.

Uptown Village in Cedar Hill would likely appeal to the same consumers a mall would. "It's going to draw people from 15 to 20 miles – from all over the southern sector," said Jill Tiernan, senior vice president for the Retail Connection. Cedar Hill officials working with MGHerring see it the same way. "This particular project takes Cedar Hill to another level," City Manager Alan Sims said. The open-air mall will be about half the size of an average mall. The Shops at Willow Bend, for example, is 1.5 million square feet. "It's going to be what we call a lifestyle center," said Mr. Herring, who has built malls all over the Sun Belt. "It will be designed more like a European village than a mall." It's a recent trend in retailing, as developers eschew traditional malls in favor of open-air, urban-style projects.

Mall developer Simon Property Group Inc. is building a similar project in Garland called Firewheel Town Center, a 1 million-square-foot project scheduled to open in October. "People like these centers," Mr. Herring said. "They shop and eat and stroll, and the kids play in the fountains. "You could even call Highland Park Village a lifestyle center. But back when they built it, that name wasn't around."

A building boom

Cedar Hill is enjoying a retail building boom. Since 2002, developers and retailers have added almost 1 million square feet of shopping space in the city. Merchants that have flocked to the area include J.C. Penney, Target, Kohl's, Oshman's, Ultimate Electronics, Bed Bath & Beyond and Best Buy. "It's becoming a hub of activity where the retailers want to concentrate," Ms. Tiernan of the Retail Connection said. "Some of them are relocating from the Interstate 20 corridor. "The land cost is good in Cedar Hill, and the city wants development," she said. Mr. Sims, the city manager, said businesses are finally taking notice of the growing population in southern Dallas County and the adjoining communities in Ellis County.

"I think this area was overlooked for a long time," he said. "Household incomes here are high, and the density would make any retailer comfortable." Mr. Herring said he was attracted to the area because of Cedar Hill's demographics and the building site. "You take Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lancaster and Duncanville, and you have some good incomes and good populations," he said. "But people have had to go a long way to shop for the kind of merchandise they want." The closest regional malls are The Parks at Arlington at Interstate 20 and South Cooper and the Southwest Center Mall (formerly Red Bird Mall) at U.S. 67 and I-20. Southwest Center has been hit by tenant move-outs in recent years and has lost business as retailers migrated to Cedar Hill, retail brokers say.

A history with retail

Mr. Herring's shopping center experience dates back to the 1970s. In 1982, he moved his company to Dallas from Mississippi. By the late 1980s, it owned a dozen regional shopping malls from the Southeast to the desert Southwest. In 1989, the company was sold to a Canadian investor, Marathon Realty Co. Mr. Herring stayed in the shopping center business, but this will be his first major development in North Texas since he built Lewisville's Vista Ridge Mall in 1989. He also has two other big projects in the works, a 560,000-square-foot lifestyle center in Spanish Fort, Ala., that's set to open this month and a 157-acre regional center in El Centro, Calif., that opens in March.

Cedar Hill officials say they still must agree to zoning changes and transportation improvements for the Uptown Village project. "We're going to do everything we can to make this happen," Mr. Sims said. Dillard's Inc. spokesman Julie Bull confirmed Thursday that the chain is committed to the center. She said there are no details yet about the size of the store but added, "We are extremely excited to be associated with this project." Foley's won't say whether it's interested. Sharon Bateman, spokeswoman for Foley's parent, May Department Stores Co., said, "We don't comment on speculation."
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

Not sure about you folks, but I think this speaks very well to the potential of the southern Dallas County. I am excited to see how the area develops in the next ten years.
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

Cedar Hill is very nice. They're in the process of building a Cinemark theater @ the SW corner of FM-1382 and US-67.. Also, west of US-67 along Belt Line, is a pretty cool Main Street District, then they're expanding Belt Line east into DeSoto. As much as I despise suburbia sucking about at Dallas, I'm all for this. Maybe because the general area is sorely lacking in any kind of nice shopping and there's nothing to do. Also, it's in Dallas County. So, w00t for CH.

Who, What, Where, When!
    Quote Originally Posted by drumguy8800
    Cedar Hill is very nice. They're in the process of building a Cinemark theater @ the SW corner of FM-1382 and US-67.. Also, west of US-67 along Belt Line, is a pretty cool Main Street District, then they're expanding Belt Line east into DeSoto. As much as I despise suburbia sucking about at Dallas, I'm all for this. Maybe because the general area is sorely lacking in any kind of nice shopping and there's nothing to do. Also, it's in Dallas County. So, w00t for CH.
    But its growing at the expense of Dallas. New commerical developments in Cedar Hill directly leech off the Redbird Area. What are they going to do with a soon to be abandoned retail strip in Redbird area? That area is depressing enough already. South Dallas cant support that much retail without leeching off the older centers. I would rather see them put these stores back in the Redbird area. Or better yet, demolish redbird mall and put a new development in its place.

Supertall Skyscraper Member
    Redbird Mall (Southwest Center Mall) has had 15 years to get its act together... That place started to hit the skids back in my high school days. I lived in DeSoto for 25 years and I can tell you the building boom in Cedar Hill is great for the entire area- all of Southwest Dallas County will benefit... Also- the Cinemark is open and ready for business!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelley USA
    Also- the Cinemark is open and ready for business!
    WOW! I didn't know. I'll have to go tonight..

is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by drumguy8800
    WOW! I didn't know. I'll have to go tonight..
    I wish I had money to go to movies these days.

High-Rise Member dallastophoenix's Avatar
    as a d'ville native, i'm extremely happy for cedar hill. it's about time retailers realized that there's just as much money down there (cedar hill, d'ville, desoto, ovilla, etc) as there is way up in plano and frisco.

DeSoto

Redbird Mall (Southwest Center Mall) has had 15 years to get its act together... That place started to hit the skids back in my high school days. I lived in DeSoto for 25 years and I can tell you the building boom in Cedar Hill is great for the entire area- all of Southwest Dallas County will benefit... Also- the Cinemark is open and ready for business!
    Maybe we know one another-I grew up in DeSoto as well. Grad 86'

Who, What, Where, When!
    The whole Redibrd-Duncanville area has gone down. I hope they just raze the place soon. Its going to become another Prestonwood except that it will probably sit and rot for decades. It already looks like it has been abandoned for years.

5 years ago that area didn't seem that bad but now its starting to slowly resemble something like a suburban nightmare.

Duncanville is actually experiencing a lot of growth. Red Bird is also.. the city is putting in a water park (like, an amusement park.. supposedly) in Dallas. Duncanville has a new urbanism development (like west village, but MUCH smaller), and they're getting some new restaurants. South of I-20, the cities of Duncanville, DeSoto, and Cedar Hill have done very well in terms of controlling development. Because there hasn't been just a massive development explosion, the cities have been able to focus on what they have and improve it. (Some of the late 80s-early 90s subbie developments in cedar hill are rather disgusting though..). DeSoto is one of my favorite places- in case people in here have never been to it, is really a pretty town. They do a wonderful job maintaining the aesthetics of their city, attracting development, and providing excellent city services.

Red Bird mall does need to be razed and replaced with something else, though.
    Last edited by drumguy8800; 06 November 2004 at 12:11 AM.

Deal to buy mall is off
    General Growth out; Southwest Center again seeks buyer

11:45 PM CDT on Thursday, April 7, 2005

A Chicago-based shopping mall developer has dropped its contract to buy Dallas' Southwest Center mall.

The potential buyer recently halted negotiations to acquire the 30-year-old mall, said the broker who's marketing the property for sale, Larry Casey of CB Richard Ellis.

"They have totally pulled out of the deal," he said Thursday. "I was disappointed but not surprised.

"It's going to take a lot of time and money to redevelop that mall."

Mr. Casey said that Southwest Center has been hurt by shopping center construction in nearby Cedar Hill and Arlington.

A spokesman for General Growth said it's against company policy to discuss such real estate transactions.

Southwest Center has 1.2 million square feet of space and is anchored by Dillard's, Foley's and Sears. Burlington Coat Factory also has a large store at the mall.

Both Dillard's and Foley's are being touted as new tenants in a shopping center planned farther south in Cedar Hill.

Mr. Casey said he plans to launch a new marketing effort for Southwest Center now that the General Growth contract has been terminated.

"We will be back in the market with the property next week," he said. "We've already got some interest in the property from about four groups."

E-mail stevebrown@dallasnews.com

RON BASELICE/DMN
    Southwest Center, formerly called Redbird Mall, was to be bought by one of the biggest mall operators in the U.S. General Growth Properties, one of the biggest mall operators in the country, had been negotiating since last fall to purchase Southwest Center, formerly called Redbird Mall. The shopping center is at State Highway 67 and Interstate 20 in southwest Dallas.
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something. - Plato

Retail site's drainage plan OK'd
    Corps approval still needed for Uptown Village proposal

07:13 PM CDT on Thursday, April 28, 2005

By HERB BOOTH / The Dallas Morning News

At 700,000 square feet, the proposed Uptown Village shopping center is being pitched as a star for Cedar Hill.

Residents who were concerned about drainage say they've seen that picture: A River Runs Through It. Or in Uptown Village's case – below it.

MGHerring Group, the shopping center's developer, and residents around Bentle Branch – a Ten Mile Creek tributary – reached an 11th-hour agreement Monday that made approval of the drainage plan relatively easy for the Cedar Hill City Council the next night.

The project plan at the southeast corner of Pleasant Run and Cedar Hill roads also requires approval of the U.S. Corps of Engineers.

Gar Herring, executive vice president for MGHerring Group, said the Corps seems likely to approve the proposal because the stream running through the property is in poor condition.

Key to the drainage plan are two 10-by-10-foot box culverts underneath the proposed shopping center that will regulate a stream's water flow from a detention pond into Bentle Branch.

Mr. Herring said his company purchased an 18-acre tract south of the project to use as a detention pond for excess runoff. He said the tract is so large that it could reduce runoff by 40 percent.

He said the 18 acres also could serve as a detention pond for the soon-to-be constructed City Hall/school district facility on Uptown Boulevard.

Deron Wade, representing the Bent Creek Property Owners Association, said homeowners have learned more about drainage than they ever wanted to know.

"Drainage is very emotional issue. It directly affects property owners," Mr. Wade said. "We appreciate the Herring Group's efforts. It shows the developer was interested in working with us. There was spirited discussion last night [Monday]. But we're pleased with their commitment."

Mr. Wade said the city – through an ongoing citywide drainage study – needs to continue listening to property owners.

Mr. Herring said the concerns about runoff parallel the streams that border the community. The east branch, Mr. Herring said, would be handled through detention ponds at the northeast corner of the Uptown Village property.

Cedar Hill has undergone a transformation during the last several years from a county town to a regional retail destination. Retail and residential construction has soared.

Joe Pitt, who lives on Cedar Hill Road and was the lone resident speaking against the project, said development has damaged his property.

He questioned why the council has to move so quickly if the city study hasn't been completed. He said the council doesn't have the criteria needed throughout the city to allay drainage concerns.

Mayor Rob Franke said the approval Tuesday night was just one step for Uptown Village in a process that could last through this summer. He said the development agreement between MGHerring Group and the city, which spells out who pays for what, would be next.

E-mail hbooth@dallasnews.com

or call 214-977-7613

24 Hour Fitness Steps Up for Ultimate Electronics' Vacancy
    By Connie Gore
    Last updated: September 20, 2005 10:05am

(For more retail coverage, click GlobeSt.com/RETAIL.)
    CEDAR HILL, TX-With just four months of down time, Kite Realty Group Trust has backfilled one of two holes arising from the aftermath of Ultimate Electronics Inc.'s Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Cedar Hill Village's 32,231-sf vacancy has been leased to 24 Hour Fitness Worldwide Inc., which plans to open doors in January 2006.

According to a recent SEC filing, Kite raked in an average $19.53 per sf in rent from the Thornton, CO-based Ultimate Electronics until May 31 on the Cedar Hill property and until June 30 for its Galleria Plaza space. Kite's 44,262 sf of class A retail space at Cedar Hill Village at 213 N. Highway 67, anchored by a corporate-owned JCPenney's freestanding store, returns to 100% occupancy with the 24 Hour Fitness pact. Kite's execs weren't available for an interview, but a spokeswoman hinted another announcement is on its way.

Kite bought Cedar Hill in late June 2004 for $6.8 million. Ultimate Electronics filed Chapter 11 seven months later.

"While we were disappointed that Ultimate Electronics rejected its lease with us, we are pleased to secure 24 Hour Fitness at a comparable lease rate, validating the quality and location of the real estate," John A. Kite, president and CEO of the Indianapolis-based firm, says in a press release.

24 Hour Fitness, founded in 1983 in Minneapolis, was bought in June by Forstmann, Little & Co., a venture capital firm from New York City. The fitness operator, with 330 clubs in 16 states, now uses San Ramon, CA as its corporate location.

Supertall Skyscraper Member TexasStar's Avatar
    ^ Exciting news! This was enough to make me a member.
    South Dallas county is starting to rock!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasStar
    ^ Exciting news! This was enough to make me a member.
    South Dallas county is starting to rock!
    This will be my new gym come January.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnekster
    This will be my new gym come January.
    What gym do you use now?. I have a coworker who lives in Desoto and he always complains a about the lack of good workout facilities in S. Dallas. He says the gyms that are there are overpriced and have poor equipment. I emailed him about the 24 HF coming to CH. I'm sure he'll join up.

I have used Victory gym in Cedar Hill but did not renew and will now wait for this. I'd much rather join 24 hour and figure it may push Victory out of business since it is so small by comparison.

I heard more about this project this week. Plans are still ongoing but the list of retailers is getting impressive. PF Changs, Banana Republic, Victoria's Secret, Pottery Barn and more to come. Could also include others like Gap, Restoration Hardware and is said to contain a large group of new restaurants plus the addition of another Aveda salon and spa for Cedar Hill. I guess the driving force behind this massive push to go upscale is the endless number of million dollar homes being built in Cedar Hill close to the lake.

I've been following this forum for months ... and finally signed up today ...

This development will be GREAT for SW Dallas County ...

Tnekster, Where did you find out this latest info? Is there anything else to add?

Quote Originally Posted by marbie98
    I've been following this forum for months ... and finally signed up today ...

This development will be GREAT for SW Dallas County ...

Tnekster, Where did you find out this latest info? Is there anything else to add?
    I heard it from several sources, one being the Cedar Hill ED director that is working on the project and one being one of the tenants that is moving into the development. They plan on 100 retailers so the list should be great, plus it will be outdoors with a large fountain/plaza area in the middle. Still waiting to see the design. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing this will be like the new Firewheel in Garland...

I'm guessing this will be like the new Firewheel in Garland...
    I think you are right but expect this to be a bit more upscale than Firewheel since the only big box retailers will be Dillards and Macy's. The usual big box suspects are all located somewhere else.

Low-Rise Member
    Cedar Hill will attract high quality retail and SW/Oak Cliff Shoppers because nobody is willing to take ownership of Southwest Center Mall and the economic development of the surrounding area. It's a missed opportunity.

Smile

That's true. Southwest Center has all but been abandoned. When Dillard's and Foley's move out to Cedar Hill, you can probably kiss it goodbye. Sometime last year, General Growth had planned to buy it, but that fell through, as have all the other attempts to revive it. Yep, it's probably time to start finding some alternate uses for the old Red Bird Mall ... I always thought, with the right amount of investment, that it would make a great "Mills" mall or some other type of outlet mall. Who knows ...

That being said ...

It's great to see that a lot of the major players are finally starting to invest in this area of the metroplex. It's taken a lot of time, but it looks like the city and all those involved are doing everything they can to ensure quality projects are coming in to Cedar Hill. It almost looks like Uptown Village will be more like Southlake Town Square than Firewheel, since many of the retailers in the mix are more upscale than those at Firewheel. Hopefully, in the end, there will be a good mix of upscale and "middle-of-the-road" so that most of the folks down south won't have to keep driving all the way out to Arlington for whatever they need.
    Last edited by marbie98; 11 October 2005 at 03:28 PM.

the-young-and-the-bright RobertB's Avatar
    It's great to see that a lot of the major players are finally starting to invest in this area of the metroplex. It's taken a lot of time, but it looks like the city and all those involved are doing everything they can to ensure quality projects are coming in to Cedar Hill. It almost looks like Uptown Village will be more like Southlake Town Square than Firewheel, since many of the retailers in the mix are more upscale than those at Firewheel. Hopefully, in the end, there will be a good mix of upscale and "middle-of-the-road" so that most of the folks down south won't have to keep driving all the way out to Arlington for whatever they need.
    marbie, we've discussed Dead Bird Mall pretty extensively in other threads. By the time a new developer offered to buy the mall, its anchor tenants had already made their plans to run south to the new development and the sale fell through. I'm curious as to your opinion: should more have been done to save Red Bird/Southwest Center/Name-of-the-week Mall? And given the present situation, what can we do now?
    As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals... Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. - B. Obama 1/20/09

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertB
    marbie, we've discussed Dead Bird Mall pretty extensively in other threads. By the time a new developer offered to buy the mall, its anchor tenants had already made their plans to run south to the new development and the sale fell through. I'm curious as to your opinion: should more have been done to save Red Bird/Southwest Center/Name-of-the-week Mall? And given the present situation, what can we do now?
    Tear that old place down and start over!

I hate to say it, but I think it's going to be torn down in the end. The retail is moving south.

I still say it could be refitted as an outlet center ... it would be a good complement, I think, to the new construction in Cedar Hill, and I think the demographics of the area would definitely support it.

Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be used as, but that's for another forum ...

Developer Ready to Go on 800,000-SF Plan

By Connie Gore
    http://www.globest.com/news/554_554/.../145858-1.html

CEDAR HILL, TX-With the Las Vegas retail show just days away, the MGHerring Group plans to court the crowd with an 800,000-sf, mixed-use plan for a just-bought 73-acre tract in South Dallas County. Eyeing a spring 2008 delivery, the Dallas developer will showcase Uptown Village at Cedar Hill with two national names in hand.
    Gar Herring, president of MGHerring Group, tells GlobeSt.com that site work will get under way in two weeks on a project that's been on the drawing board nearly two years. The first to sign has been Little Rock, AR-based Dillard's Inc., which will buy a tract to build a 165,000-sf store, and Barnes & Noble Inc. of New York City, which preleased 28,000 sf of the 350,000 sf of shop space, all mapped out as inline to play up a pedestrian-friendly, urban design for a suburban pocket that locals have dubbed the Hill Country of North Texas. Uptown Village's plan includes 27,000 sf of second-floor office space to top off the developer's vision. The plan allows room for one more "future department store," Herring says.

Uptown Village at Cedar Hill is an open-air center with no pad sites and the value equivalent of a regional mall. The build-out value could top $100 million. The development site has frontage along Uptown Boulevard, FM 1382 and Pleasant Run and Cedar Hill roads. MGHerring acquired the land in off-market deals with James Pogue, who lives across the road from the Uptown Village site, and the Gaubert family of nearby Desoto.

CMH Architects Inc. of Birmingham, AL designed Uptown Village; CDI Construction Co. of Little Rock, AR will build it. MGHerring's in-house team will lease, manage and market the development as it's doing with the rest of its four-million-sf pipeline in North Texas and Augusta, GA.

"We always want to create an experience for the customer," Heather Herring, the firm's marketing director, explains of the hybrid design. "A lot of research was done on this." To build in "uptown" character, the village design includes internal parking spaces as well as curbside.

In the past two years, nearly two million sf of retail space has gone up in the Cedar Hill trade area. "We're just taking that up to the next level," Heather Herring says, adding the family-owned development group views Uptown Village as a definite long-term hold.

Yea, just read this... That whole area is popping with retail! I'm guessing that Barnes & Noble will be closing their other location which is less than a mile away...

I wish there were a more complete list of retailers. I guess Macy's is out...at least for now.

And also no mention of the previously announced AMC... In fact, AMC has been removed from the signage at the site...

AMC? I didn't realize they were ever going to be involved in this. Does Cedar Hill really need another movie theater?

^No

I didn't think that AMC was ever in the picture for this development.

I bet Macy's is still going to be part of Uptown Plaza. Maybe they're just still trying to get a few more kinks worked out. The article talked about space for another department store, and Foley's is still listed on the signs.

Does anyone know if MG Herring has a website? Or if there's someplace on the web with a site plan or more info? I'm curious as to how they're going to build this place on such a slope.

Any word on any of the other retailers that will be joining?

I can't believe Barnes & Noble is already going to move their Cedar Hill location. It's only been open a few years. That being said, I think they're shifting a lot of their stores to lifestyle developments where they can.

According to this site:
    http://www.terracesofcedarhill.com/areainfo.htm

these stores are expected:

Retail

Dillards
    Foleys
    Williams Sonoma
    Brookstone
    Gap
    Liz Claiborne
    Abercrombie and Fitch
    Coldwater Creek
    Banana Republic
    Talbots
    Jos A Bank
    Kirkland
    Ann Taylor
    Pottery Barn

Dining

P.F.Changs
    Starbucks
    Corner Bakery
    Marble Slab

I know there is a TGIF coming in too but I think it is just close to this development, not in it.

TGI Fridays is going in on 67 between 1382 & Belt Line ... behind Red Robin and in front of the new Haverty's

Nice list of stores ... I wonder what their source is, or if they're just referring to the "usual" lifestyle tenants. If that list is accurate, then it's a major coup for Cedar Hill, and a great start for Uptown Village.

I also keep hearing rumors about Cheesecake Factory ... that would be GREAT!

I'm not sure how much substance there is behind the PF Changs rumor, but I've heard it from several people.

It's hard for me to fathom either PF Changs or Cheesecake factory going to Cedar Hill. Either one would be absolutely huge. There are only 3 of each in the entire metroplex and those are in high end areas (ie Southlake, north Dallas, Frisco).

Hell, I'm just hoping that Cedar Hill will get a Chipotle (or Baja Fresh, or Tin Star, or something like that).

Quote Originally Posted by VectorWega
    I'm not sure how much substance there is behind the PF Changs rumor, but I've heard it from several people.
    I think it is a go, I asked the Cedar Hill ED Director about it some time ago.

Can you imagine, though, the drawing power a Cheesecake Factory or PF Changs in Cedar Hill would have? People would drive for miles just to eat there. There's nothing like it south of Downtown Dallas or Fort Worth ... I bet both would make money hand over fist.

I'm with you on Chipotle, or Tin Star ... what about Cafe' Express? Baja Fresh would be great too ... What about Pei Wei? I know in Houston, there's a Pei Wei within spitting distance of most of the P.F. Changs ...

Can you imagine, though, the drawing power a Cheesecake Factory or PF Changs in Cedar Hill would have? People would drive for miles just to eat there. There's nothing like it south of Downtown Dallas or Fort Worth ... I bet both would make money hand over fist.

I'm with you on Chipotle, or Tin Star ... what about Cafe' Express? Baja Fresh would be great too ... What about Pei Wei? I know in Houston, there's a Pei Wei within spitting distance of most of the P.F. Changs ...
    This development will have almost 80 stores and be a catalyst for additional development up Uptown Blvd, I have to believe that Pei Wei won't be far behind. Along with a long list of others. Cedar Hill still wants to do a major hotel and additional office space in this same area.

Gar Herring, president of MGHerring Group, tells GlobeSt.com that site work will get under way in two weeks on a project that's been on the drawing board nearly two years.
    Two weeks? Drove by today and they already have this well under way.

someone asked about pictures of the development....this link will lead you to the only ones i could find....i hope its helpful!

http://www.cmharchitects.com/home.html

once on the site look under the In progress link for Uptown Village at Cedar Hill.

Thanks for the link!

I was out there this weekend, and it looks like things are well underway! The land is pretty much cleared.

no problem !!! everytime I drive by im craning my neck trying to see what is goin on over there lol!!! Does anyone know if there is a thread for the new shopping center in Arlington called Arlington Highlands?

Retail center going up in Cedar Hill

Southern Dallas County to get biggest shopping area in over 30 years
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...r.1092b6c.html

11:13 PM CDT on Monday, June 19, 2006

Developers will break ground this week in Cedar Hill on the biggest retail project the southern sector has seen in about 30 years.

MGHerring Group
    The 800,000-square-foot Uptown Village at Cedar Hill will include two department stores and room for more than 80 shops and restaurants. It is set to open in 2008. Called Uptown Village at Cedar Hill, the 800,000-square-foot regional shopping complex will include two department stores plus room for more than 80 shops and restaurants.

It's the biggest such shopping center to be built in southern Dallas County since Redbird Mall (now called Southwest Center) opened in 1975.

"When it is done, this will match anything in the metroplex," said Cedar Hill City Manager Alan Sims.

A ceremony to kick off the development will be held Thursday morning.

But site work is already under way on the 73 acres, Gar Herring, president of developer MGHerring Group, said Monday.

"We started the grading two weeks ago.

"The area around Cedar Hill is called the North Texas Hill Country, so our site had some challenges to it," Mr. Herring said.

With an almost 40-foot change in elevation, the site at U.S. Highway 67 and Pleasant Run Road is being configured for a two-story shopping village that will surround a village green with a fountain and performance stage. "It's the congregating point for the whole center," he said.

Uptown Village at Cedar Hill was designed by CMH Architects of Birmingham, Ala., to reflect "historic architecture of Cedar Hill," the developers said. Buildings will be clustered around a series of parking lots and landscaped areas.

Prudential Insurance will be a partner in the project, which will open in early 2008.

MGHerring Group said that the first large tenants signed up for the project include Dillard's department store and Barnes & Noble.

A number of apparel and home furnishings stores have also agreed to lease space.

The developer has also been negotiating with Federated Department Stores for a spot in the complex.

"We are currently about 50 percent committed," Mr. Herring said. "A lot of people who didn't know the amount of growth that has taken place in this area have been caught by surprise."

More than a million square feet of retail space have already been constructed in the area during the last five years.

Mr. Sims said MGHerring Group's shopping center will be aimed at a more affluent shopper.

"It fills a market niche that we didn't have," he said. "Our density and household incomes are enough to support higher-end retail.

"The people in this area that have had to travel to North Dallas won't have to drive so far," he said.

Planning for the Cedar Hill development started more than two years ago. "These projects take a lot of work," Mr. Herring said.

The Cedar Hill development is one of two large shopping centers MGHerring Group is building in North Texas. The developer has an even larger retail complex – The Village at Fairview and The Village at Allen – planned for 400 acres on North Central Expressway in Collin County.

E-mail stevebrown@dallasnews.com

"When it is done, this will match anything in the metroplex," said Cedar Hill City Manager Alan Sims.
    Do "they" have to say stuff like that?

Thumbs down

"Uptown Village at Cedar Hill?????" They've got to be joking right?
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something. - Plato

Thread Information