Thread: Cleanup of "Boat Graveyard" Begins

Cleanup of "Boat Graveyard" Begins

http://www.dfwinfo.com/envir/insider...tGraveyard.asp

Once an eyesore along Highway 175 in south Dallas, an illegal dump site dubbed the “boat graveyard” will finally be cleaned up and blocked off to prevent future dumping. The City Attorney’s Office for Dallas sought funding from the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) this year to help cleanup up the site after the city pledged half of the needed $90,000 to remove the boats. The City of Dallas requested $45,000 from NCTCOG to help with the cleanup, which began October 18, 2004 and will continue for approximately three weeks.

Many city departments will help with the effort, including Streets, Parks and Recreation, Sanitation, the Fire Department as well as an arborist to help ensure that tree damage is mitigated. A majority of the waste will be land filled because no vendor could be found for the aged and deteriorated boats; however, besides boats having been dumped at the site thousands of tires were also dumped there. City officials were able to find a vendor willing to accept and recycle the tires. An estimated 2500 to 3000 tons of waste will be collected at the site.

The City had to file legal action to gain access to certain parcels of land where the boats were dumped. The courts recently granted the city access to the land as the funding from NCTCOG was being approved. Dallas City Attorney Madeleine Johnson stated that “This is a cooperative project that involves 14 City departments,… persistence in the courts and finding funds for this project will be rewarded in a few short weeks when this eyesore and health hazard is cleaned up.”

Boat Graveyard at DFWMAPS.COM
    Listen to the Dividing Line, Pirate Christian Radio, CARM, White Horse Inn and RTS University the most nowadays.....

Supertall Skyscraper Member TexasStar's Avatar
    Wow, I had to consult a map.
    I've lived here 3 1/2 years and I didn't know even there was a Highway 175.
    Anyway, glad they decided to clean it up.

The smartest gal in town! trolleygirl's Avatar
    This was an early Groundwork project. Because we started pounding on COG for help, along with the TRCPO at the City, we got the ball rolling on it. My home isn't too far from this area. The mission of Groundwork Dallas is to bring in sustainable economic development by improving communities' physical environments. We do this by facilitating and partnering with various entities to bring about the sustainable regeneration of blighted communities. Boat Graveyard was high on our list. I know I've talked about this before but I think that Groundwork will be the "spark" that ignites reinvestment in the Gateway communities of Great Trinity Forest in the Southern Sector. The City and these gatewaycommunities need economic development but the big question has always been "how?" Well, we have all this forest and green space that the city owns, being dumped on illegally, and we want recreation in the frest but the City doesn't have funds for trails, etc., and the would-be users of the park don't know where it is or how to get there, and whem/if they do, they're scared to death of scary south Dallas neighborhoods, development can't happen in the bottomlands because of the floodplain, so the only way to attract that development isto help these neglected gateway communities to improve their surrounding physical environment. We have a variety f programs that we'd like to start and we hope that the City and the funders National Park Service and EPA) will approve Groundwork and if so, then we're set to start in January.

And they really have started moving on Boatopia- I check on it every few days. It's looking better. If y'all find it and drive up on Bruton (east), take a look at the GTF because you're driving right through it.

Wow, I just realized that was in the newspaper! We got the PSA four weeks ago!

NPS? Are you looking to get a designation for this area?
    Listen to the Dividing Line, Pirate Christian Radio, CARM, White Horse Inn and RTS University the most nowadays.....

No, it's been looked at before. The White Rock Heritage District (WRHD) applied for a National Parks Service Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance (NPS RTCA) grant three years ago, and last year it was extended for another two years. The Groundwork iniative is funded by the EPA's Brownfield office, and is sort of, I guess "marketed" by the NPS RTCA headquarters. So, when I was serving on the Southeast Dallas Economic Development Task Force, the WRHD folks, through the NPS RTCA liaison told me about Groundwork. We were looking t creating a CDC for economic development in the area, but Groundwork just made more sence, it was more hands-on, more people oriented, and it had the blessing of the EPA's Brownfields office. We have some brownfields in the area, but we also had Boatopia, and these were the "talking points" that Iused when I wrote the Groudwork grant to convice both the NPS and the City of Dallas, that look, here's this big 'ol chunk of land and it's covered with old boats. To me, that's a brownfield- nobody else can use it until it's cleaned up! So, looking around at other illegal dump sites, I've started calling them all brownfields- tires, shingles, 50-gallon barrels with mysterious goo, construction debris, what else would you call these areas?
    Anyway, unless we can find some real hard core historic sites in the area, NPS won't look at it as a National Park. Dallas pissed off the Texas Parks and Wildlife ~ 30 years ago, so we have relied on their help with technical assistance. Again, I think that Groundwork will be the answer.

Tell ya what, if you want, as soon as our facilitator finishes the power point presentation for the feasibility study, I'll post some arieal pictures- after we hired him and began our feasibility study, I put him in a police helicopter and sent him flying over the GTF to take pictures. They are some pretty telling pics.

For Immediate Release Contact: Scott Tims
    Tuesday, October 19, 2004 Public Information Office
    (214) 670-3900
    Dallas City Attorney’s Office
    (214) 670-3491

Cleanup of South Dallas boat dumping ground to begin

City workers began cleaning up hundreds of illegally dumped boats in South Dallas today after the City obtained state grant funding and the necessary agreements and court orders to allow access to the properties.
    Hundreds of illegally dumped boats, thousands of tires, and other debris will be removed from about 12 acres on four properties, including one parcel owned by the City, in an area north of State Highway 175 and 2nd Avenue south and east of Moonlight Avenue. The City Attorney’s Office cleared the final legal hurdle of the project when it obtained a court order Sept. 27 to enter a property whose owner cannot be located.
    “This is a cooperative project that involves 14 City departments,” said Dallas City Attorney Madeleine Johnson. “Persistence in the courts and finding funds for this project will be rewarded in a few short weeks when this eyesore and health hazard is cleaned up.”
    A $45,000 grant from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, administered by the North Texas Council of Governments, is funding half the estimated $90,000 cleanup costs. The City is funding the remaining cleanup costs.
    The Street Services Department is coordinating the cleanup logistics for the project, which was scheduled for early fall to reduce the threat to workers from mosquitoes and snakes. Staff is hoping to complete the work in three weeks, weather permitting.
    -30-

Prepared in cooperation with the North Central Texas Council of Governments through funding from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Quote Originally Posted by trolleygirl
    Tell ya what, if you want, as soon as our facilitator finishes the power point presentation for the feasibility study, I'll post some arieal pictures- after we hired him and began our feasibility study, I put him in a police helicopter and sent him flying over the GTF to take pictures. They are some pretty telling pics.
    WAY COOL!

Quote Originally Posted by trolleygirl
    Anyway, unless we can find some real hard core historic sites in the area, NPS won't look at it as a National Park. Dallas pissed off the Texas Parks and Wildlife ~ 30 years ago, so we have relied on their help with technical assistance. Again, I think that Groundwork will be the answer.
    There's no telling what they will find as it is cleaned up. I'm real glad to see this. I never imagined the amount of damage that has occured to the GTF by citizens of this area. Hopefully this can be revived to something very special.

the-young-and-the-bright RobertB's Avatar
    I actually tried to make a "withdrawal" from the boatyard... got one of the smaller boats into the bed of the pickup, but had to leave it behind because it was way too long. I wanted something to put on my small farm pond (aka "tank") for the catfish to hide under. A gentleman who came by while I was struggling with the boat said that the cops didn't mind withdrawals -- it was the deposits that irritated them. He was there to look for parts for his boat, but confessed to dropping off his own incontinent watercraft from time to time.

The history of the site was discussed on KERA's Glen Mitchell show a couple of months ago -- that was when I first heard that a cleanup was coming. Here's the details I remember -- I hope someone can give me more details!

Apparently, back in the day, 2nd Avenue flooded regularly. The site then housed a boat rental operation. Workers at a nearby slaughterhouse would be ferried down flooded 2nd Avenue by boat to get to work until the waters receded. In between floods, there were boat rentals for the nearby Trinity River. But upstream dams tamed the river, and people apparently saw the Trinity as a Big Ditch and stopped renting boats for pleasure. Eventually, the guy who owned the joint died or otherwise left the business along with his back taxes, and the property reverted to the city's ownership. The last stock of rotting boats was soon joined by others, as if there were a sign on 175 saying "DUMP YOUR OLD BOAT HERE".

This morning, on south/eastbound US 175, there was an old, ratty boat sitting on the side of the road on its equally ratty trailer. If it's still there tonight, do you think anyone would complain if I hook up and take it home? The catfish would appreciate the gesture.
    As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals... Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. - B. Obama 1/20/09

The Trinity IS a big ditch. Why can't it be all.. Fort-Worth Trinityish? Does waterflow really increase that much to have THIS much water control? I think the river should be dammed farther down, the levees should go away, and the city should be able to control the river's flow from farther downstream.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB
    I actually tried to make a "withdrawal" from the boatyard... got one of the smaller boats into the bed of the pickup, but had to leave it behind because it was way too long. I wanted something to put on my small farm pond (aka "tank") for the catfish to hide under. A gentleman who came by while I was struggling with the boat said that the cops didn't mind withdrawals -- it was the deposits that irritated them. He was there to look for parts for his boat, but confessed to dropping off his own incontinent watercraft from time to time.

The history of the site was discussed on KERA's Glen Mitchell show a couple of months ago -- that was when I first heard that a cleanup was coming. Here's the details I remember -- I hope someone can give me more details!

Apparently, back in the day, 2nd Avenue flooded regularly. The site then housed a boat rental operation. Workers at a nearby slaughterhouse would be ferried down flooded 2nd Avenue by boat to get to work until the waters receded. In between floods, there were boat rentals for the nearby Trinity River. But upstream dams tamed the river, and people apparently saw the Trinity as a Big Ditch and stopped renting boats for pleasure. Eventually, the guy who owned the joint died or otherwise left the business along with his back taxes, and the property reverted to the city's ownership. The last stock of rotting boats was soon joined by others, as if there were a sign on 175 saying "DUMP YOUR OLD BOAT HERE".

This morning, on south/eastbound US 175, there was an old, ratty boat sitting on the side of the road on its equally ratty trailer. If it's still there tonight, do you think anyone would complain if I hook up and take it home? The catfish would appreciate the gesture.
    I don't think anyone would mind at all if you took a boat.

the-young-and-the-bright RobertB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drumguy8800
    The Trinity IS a big ditch. Why can't it be all.. Fort-Worth Trinityish? Does waterflow really increase that much to have THIS much water control? I think the river should be dammed farther down, the levees should go away, and the city should be able to control the river's flow from farther downstream.
    Wonder if anyone's thought of that before?

Yep.

Also, to take a virtual trip through failed plans to manage the Trinity through a system of downstream locks & dams, go to http://www.dfwmaps.com/ and pull up an aerial view of the river around I-45. Follow it downstream and you'll find the ruins of several lock & dam structures from before the river was channelized upstream.
    As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals... Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. - B. Obama 1/20/09

I wish it wasn't so dumpy down there.

is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by drumguy8800
    I wish it wasn't so dumpy down there.
    No kidding. That arrival into Dallas from the southern freeways is a little depressing.

Thread Information