Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UT-Arlington: Projects & Development

Austinite
    hmm...not a fan. looks too much like a city logo. a lot like Allen's.

Some guy
    Yeah, as an alum, I am at best mildly ok with it and at worst, don't like it. Especially since we were anticipating this event for about a year. Semi-disappointed about this.

Low-Rise Member
    This is a link to The Shorthorn which shows 2 architectural renderings of the Engineering Research Building which will begin construction this summer.

http://www.theshorthorn.com/index.ph...1695&Itemid=62

I'm pretty excited about this $110 million project. It will be 220,000 square feet (one of the larger academic buildings on campus and in Texas) and contain research and teaching labs for the Computer Science & Engineering Dept., Biomedical Engineering Dept., and additional labs for the College of Science. I don't know at what level, but the building will be LEED certified. Notice the green roofs. If you know this area, you will see that the building is in the engineering section of campus with the existing Woolf Hall, Nedderman Hall, and Engineering Lab Building.

Not featured in this picture, but in conjunction with this project, the current Engineering Lab Building will be expanded and re-done for about $10 million, and another $7 million has been approved to close Yates St., and part of 1st street to extend Arlington Walk (as it is called in the campus master plan) as a major north-south pedestrian spine. This will include tree-lined walks, pavers, water feature, and landscaping. All of this will completely transform this prominent corner (Cooper and UTA Blvd.) and northern edge of campus.

Low-Rise Member
    For those of you who like this sort of thing, here are reviews in Texas Architect magazine on 2 recently contructed buildings at UT Arlington. Both of these projects, I believe, "raise the bar" on the Arlington campus for design, placement, and engaging the campus community.

Chemistry & Physics Building
    http://texasarchitect.org/ta200801-utarlington.php

Maverick Activities Center
    http://texasarchitect.org/ta200805-m...344d7442769049

Nice buildings. Thanks for the update.
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

Low-Rise Member
    Nice article in today's Star-Telegram about progress and plans.

http://www.star-telegram.com/arlingt...ry/916783.html

UTA breaks ground on its $116 million engineering building
    By GENE TRAINOR
    gtrainor@star-telegram.com
    Posted on Sat, Sep. 27, 2008
    Visit: http://www.star-telegram.com/arlingt...ry/936933.html

ARLINGTON — University of Texas at Arlington officials broke ground Friday on a $116 million building that they called the school’s most significant engineering construction project in about two decades.

The 230,000-square-foot Engineering Research Building will anchor UT-Arlington’s engineering research complex when completed in January 2011.

More after the jump. . .

Low-Rise Member
    Below is a link to the 2008 UT Arlington President's Report: "Transformation: the Urgency of Now."

A very well done publication. I think it's all worth a read, but if you choose only one section, I recommend the "Message From the President."

http://www.uta.edu/president/report/2008/

Supertall Skyscraper Member NThomas's Avatar
    Don't think renderings of the new UTA Special Events Center have been posted so here I go:

UTA's Special Events Center website: Link
    Square Footage: Approximately 190,000 square feet
    Seating Capacity: 6,500
    Cost: Approximately $73 million
    Construction: Designed to achieve LEED Silver Certification, continuing UT Arlington’s commitment to sustainable development
    Construction Time: Approximately 30 months, with an anticipated completion date of spring 2012

Interior Rendering:

Exterior Rendering:

^Couldn't find a smaller jpg

I think the outside looks pretty good. Reminds me of the Winspear...

Low-Rise Member
    Another step in the right direction. All they need now is of course more dorm rooms, another parking garage, the college strip, and a football team. Also possibly a better fine arts wing, especially the music department. I'm partial because I'm a music major, but they need more practice room and more space in general.

aren't they trying to get the football program back up?
    Go Mavs
    Go Cowboys
    Go Stars
    Go FC Dallas

DTID

Low-Rise Member
    Sort of, but not really. They keep going back to the reason that it's not financially feasible to start it up, because not enough people would go to the games. If you ask me, that's almost not possible in the beginning of the return. So many students/alumni/people that just want to see it to believe it would come out. I honestly think that would be the last issue to vault UTA into legitimacy among casual people. Because your Average joe just looks at UTA and says "they don't even have a football team, how great can that place be?" UTA is a great school that's on the rise, but there were certain aspects that held it back. Commuter school, not enough dorm rooms,School spirit, basketball plays on a stage. Fixing these problems is going to make people say, "Oh you went to UTA, that's a great school, I wish I would have went there."

Regents expected to approve $67 million UTA development near downtown
    May 13, 2009
    Fort Worth Star-Telegram
    By Susan Schrock
    Full Article
    The University of Texas at Arlington proposes building a $67 million mixed-use development near downtown that would create more student housing as well as bring new shops, restaurants and office space to the area.

At its meeting in Austin today, the UT board of regents is expected to approve the university’s plans to build the four-story structure. The proposal includes an 1,800-space parking garage to support the planned $73 million Special Events Center and more than 250 residence rooms for students, according to board documents.

The ground level of the building
    , which would be south of UTA Boulevard on Second Street between Pecan and Center streets, would be available to lease for commercial use.

The mixed-use development would be just north of the planned Special Events Center, which will be the site of dozens of community and university events, including Maverick basketball games. Both projects, to be on the eastern edge of campus, are expected to be completed by 2012...

..."It’s the perfect complement," Campbell said. "It’s going to transform this whole edge of downtown in a great way."...

...Both university projects would also tie in to the new Center Street pedestrian trail, a federally funded sidewalk the city is building to draw visitors and investors downtown.

The university has torn down four aging apartment complexes on Center Street and plans to install pedestrian amenities, such as benches and artwork featuring the school’s history, along the trail.

Campbell said that the economic downturn has put a damper on commercial development downtown but that there is still a desire for mixed-use development to accommodate college students and young professionals.

"We’ve got 5,000 students who live on campus, and a huge percentage comes from overseas. Many of them don’t have cars. They are starved for something to do," Campbell said...

Low-Rise Member
    The regents approved the mixed-use structure.

Here's the news release.

http://www.uta.edu/ucomm/mediarelati...dence-hall.php

Combined with the arena and what the City is doing to that area to dress things up and provide for pedestrian flow, this is huge. Gone will be large surface parking lots, and, in their place we will get a remade and defined eastern edge to campus that extends the built campus, adds energy, and compliments Arlington's efforts in downtown.

It is clear what adding on-campus housing has done to the vitality of the campus over the past 5 to 8 years. Dropping in another big residence hall adjacent to the arena and, with the retail space, will really push the energy-level up. I think it is going to be a cool place to be...a memorable space. This is way better than simply removing surface parking for a parking structure, as meritorious as that alone would be.

Very exciting.

Low-Rise Member
    Nice column in today's Star-Telegram summarizing encouraging town & gown initiatives, etc.

http://www.star-telegram.com/242/story/1672558.html

Also, here is a newly developed website called, College Town, UTA
    Good to see this getting deliberate attention. In time, I believe it will get somewhere. Already there have been good steps...just need to keep it up.

http://www.uta.edu/ucomm/collegetown/

UT Arlington seems to have have new branding. Still the star inside the "A" but not italic.

The Special Events Center breaks ground today.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...17a706b47.html

There's a nice walk through animation on the link

Supertall Skyscraper Member
    College Park District Breaks Ground.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...17de3c1b2.html

Low-Rise Member
    Large parking garage opening in a few week in the College Park District.

http://www.theshorthorn.com/index.ph...open-for-fall-

Low-Rise Member
    An interesting detail of what will be inside the parking structure.

http://www.uta.edu/ucomm/mediarelati...on_release.php

Twisted Root burgers opening soon downtown Arlington

Looks like someone is looking into a little something in Arlington, according to the FAAs Obstruction Evaluation Proposed Case:

Code:
    Overview
    Study (ASN): 	2011-ASW-5706-OE
    Prior Study: 	

Received Date: 	
    Entered Date: 	09/27/2011
    Map: 	View Map
    Construction Info 	    	Structure Summary
    Notice Of: 	CONSTR
    Duration: 	PERM    (Months: 0    Days: 0)
    Work Schedule: 	

Structure Type: 	Feasibility Study
    Structure Name: 	BUILDING
    FCC Number: 	

Structure Details 	    	Height and Elevation
    Latitude (NAD 83): 	32° 45' 18.90" N
    Longitude (NAD 83): 	97° 05' 44.00" W
    Datum: 	NAD 83
    City: 	ARLINGTON
    State: 	TX

Proposed
    Site Elevation: 	
    Structure Height: 	
    Total Height (AMSL): 	
    It looks like the location puts it roughly near the intersection of N. Collins St. and that road to Six Flags. . .

Low-Rise Member
    Pretty cool coverage on Channel 8

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/headlines...136781403.html

Low-Rise Member
    Great column in Dallas Business Journal.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/bl...s-soaring.html

Wonderful coverage in yesterday's Fort Worth Star-Telegram. (Dallas Morning News had another big piece the day before on the front of the "metro" section focusing on the neighborhood redevelopment aspects of the arena and larger College Park project.)

"Patience on Arena Pays Off For UTA" This correctly captures the significance of the arena and surrounding College Park project
    http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01...s-off-for.html

"New arena is centerpiece of UT Arlington's effort to create a college town"
    http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01...ece-of-ut.html

"UTA's new sports arena comes fully equipped"
    http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01...ece-of-ut.html

The first nationally televised event from College Park Center is just a few weeks off....much more of this to come.
    http://www.uta.edu/news/releases/201...ight-night.php
    Last edited by Maverick; 27 January 2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: fix the links

Good stuff. There is a lot happening in that part of Arlington.
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

An update re:College Park Center.
    http://hksinc.com/news/all-markets/p...-Certification

The U.S. Green Building Council has awarded LEED Gold certification to the new College Park Center at The University of Texas at Arlington. . .

. . .Last year, UT Arlington’s new, 234,000-square-foot Engineering Research Building was certified as a LEED Gold project. Earlier this year, The Green at College Park, a 2.6-acre park on the south side of College Park Center, was one of the first three projects to be certified through the Sustainable Sites Initiative, a certification similar to LEED but focused on landscape design.

College Park Center has been cited for the way that the building interacts with The Green at College Park. Specialized soil, plants and design concepts in the park will allow for a more than 25-percent decrease in the amount of storm water runoff that would have been expected from the 218,000-square-foot events center. . .

It is a beautiful building. Way to go!
    Go Mavs
    Go Cowboys
    Go Stars
    Go FC Dallas

DTID

Hey guys since I have moved on to campus this year to go after my degree in Urban Planning and Environmental Design I might be providing a update or two about happenings on campus.

Since college park has officially opened and is in full use as the basketball arena the Texas Hall has started renovations. The renovations will finish in September they will be removing bleachers from the inside to restore the building back to a true performance hall space along with installing a new sprinkler system. So far that's all I heard they are doing for now. They have a goal of doing more in the future but I think they have to wait awhile before more funding will show up since they just finished multiple big projects. Hopefully someone will chip in and donate to a major renovation of the college arts program including donations towards modern performance venues.

Also I forgot to post that Diggs Tacos has signed on to open at College Park as another restaurant. They already have a banner up announcing the location.

If you don't remember they opened their first location over at the strip center along Hillcrest across from SMU and have been doing well there. They have always intended their restaurant to be college oriented so it's nice to see them expanding to UTA.

Mavs Sports grill and bar is going in with pie five opening in a few weeks.

Pie Five opened this past Monday. First of all pie five's to offer pizza. They are working on getting alcohol permit to tap in to tailgating before basketball games. Next five restaurants plan to open in College Park by the end of next month.

UTA has had a program like ZipCar in place since 2010 and is looking to expand it to other parts of campus. Could this possible expand to other parts of Arlington?

Quote Originally Posted by arlingtonmayor View Post
    UTA has had a program like ZipCar in place since 2010 and is looking to expand it to other parts of campus. Could this possible expand to other parts of Arlington?
    After doing some lengthy investigation I found out what you are talking about. It is a product by Hertz but it seems that there is not a lot of people on campus who have any idea that it exists. I've met almost no one who has ever heard of it. Sounds like they need to do some basic advertising to make it a real service. I wonder if anyone has ever used it.

www.hertzondemand.com/universityoftexasarlington
    Last edited by cowboyeagle05; 01 September 2012 at 01:28 AM.

Just like most awesome things on campus that fail or fly under the radar there is lack of promotion of such thing.

Probably, as UTA sprouts a little college town in Arlington, services like Hertzondemand will be more easily identified to students. There's no student community, there's only student commuters.

Quote Originally Posted by tamtagon View Post
    Probably, as UTA sprouts a little college town in Arlington, services like Hertzondemand will be more easily identified to students. There's no student community, there's only student commuters.
    Well this year alone there is 5,000 students living on campus. I have noticed on the weekend it seems like 75% go home for the weekend and move back into their dorms on Sunday night with suitcases packed full of clean clothes.
    Last edited by cowboyeagle05; 01 September 2012 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyeagle05 View Post

Well this year alone there is 5,000 students living on campus. I have noticed on the weekend it seems like 75% go home for the weekend and move back into their dorms on Sunday night with suitcases packed full of clean clothes.
    What's interesting and i think worth comparing is the Dallas CBD which now has about 7,000 people living there if I remember correctly. In the past they have had similar issues where businesses close on weekends and streets are dead of people. The UTA campus acts similarly on the weekends with what looks like most of the on campus students driving back home to stay with parents and such on weekends. While the other two thirds of enrolled students already live far off campus in other North Texas cities and commute.

With Downtown Dallas they have started to build up enough units to start to overcome the shortage of weekend people. This has started to reverse that problem for downtown businesses looking to remain open for weekend hours. It's been wonderful to watch the CBD get closer to that 10,000 people goal.

UTA has seen some moderate growth in residential units on and or near campus with some additional units under way for the next school year. So we will see how these things develop and if a rising number of student oriented units significantly helps Arlington maintain a downtown. I would hope at least that it might further encourage students to stay on campus over the weekends and make this place less of a ghost town.
    Last edited by cowboyeagle05; 01 September 2012 at 06:36 PM.

Well every 6 months seems like another restaurant or bar is opening up around campus. The buzz amongst developers is spreading about the goldmine that is UTA area. With the opening of College Park the swing of change has happened and we will have to wait to see if it's enough to be a successful change.

Low-Rise Member
    1.5 million for UTA Architecture

http://fwbusinesspress.com/main.asp?...rticleID=23159

the article mentions the Maverick Match program, but the money should also qualify for TRIP funds as well if those are again allocated in 2103 for 2014-15

and it should probably qualify for UT System matching funds as well that were recently approved

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-ed...meetings-week/

7.5 million for UT Arlington.

http://www.ssi.shimadzu.com/news/new...ress2012_id=55

A thought: Why not move UTARI labs to Arlington? I believe a building along I-30 would do well to serve as an advertisement of the school to both prospective students and researchers. I don't understand why it has to be located in Fort Worth.

http://www.uta.edu/utari/

Supertall Skyscraper Member
    Restaurants at College Park District close
    http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/01...-district.html

I can't imagine Diggs Taco not being able to make a go across from a college campus. That place is awesome and seems like UTA would be a perfect location.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vman View Post
    Restaurants at College Park District close
    http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/01...-district.html

I can't imagine Diggs Taco not being able to make a go across from a college campus. That place is awesome and seems like UTA would be a perfect location.
    This was basically my thought too:

“To get a student to spend $7-$10 on lunch as opposed to the University Center — that was a big struggle. I think most restaurants around UTA kind of feel the same way, too,” she said.
    I'm sure the Lakewood and Southlake locations will do just fine.

I live on campus and frequented here so I will contribute some inside perspective. Yes the student body admitted Diggs was a pricier option that wasn't the problem. All the students I have talked about this issue liked their food and did go occasionally and Diggs was doing a healthy amount of catering for the University as well. The other two restaurants never interested much of the student body so eventually they closed when they ran out of runway. Pie Five for example does even steadier businesses so we will have to wait and see.

The problem is at night all the student business disappears and during the weekend and over winter break there wasn't a student to be had near campus. So most of the restaurants closed over the break. Technically there are 5,000 students "living" on campus and a even larger number living in off campus apartments nearby. It's also important to note that even more student apartments are being built near campus and near college park by private companies. Keeping that in mind in my Res Hall every Friday like clockwork most of all the students jump in their cars and drive back to their parents for the weekend. I'm talking about some 85% of students in my Res Hall do this. They don't come back till Sunday night.

To add to that the restaurants in College Park so far haven't made a dent in attracting the local customer. Yes on Sundays the nearby church provided some lunch customers but currently students still aren't really hanging out on or around campus and neither are neighborhood people. Plus throw in the bad urban design of College Park and you have a setup that does more to push customers away from these retail businesses.

Businesses are going to struggle here unless one of two things; the urban design issues are resolved while continuing improvements to Downtown Arlington create a stronger critical mass of customers seeking out Downtown Arlington or businesses open here that have strong enough brands, marketing budgets and/or type of businesses open that can significantly draw their own customers without dealing with discoverability. For example Texans Credit Union which signed on to be the big name sponsor of the Athletic program will be opening a location in College Park. A bank will have a natural draw that might do ok here since it's a place people come to get money and do other important business.

Time for a small project with big implications. If you haven't heard already the University in partnership with Downtown Arlington (DAMC) is working on implementing bike sharing. They would use the B cycles system just like Fort Worth.

This is a personal project of mine since I was the Student Congress Senator who initiated the project through student government as a resolution. You can find more info in the Shorthorn article along with a map of planned bike station locations.

The funding will hopefully come from the NCTCOG as a grant and will cost initially 300,000 to build out this first implementation of bike sharing. I know the University will add and move stations over time based on needs. Local residents would be able to use the system as well. And yes there will be a station at the MAX bus stop to help riders cover that last mile problem and at least one in Downtown Arlington near the restaurants.

http://www.theshorthorn.com/news/pro...tml?TNNoMobile

Skyscraper Member ChampionDallas's Avatar
    Arlington Sprouts store to open Sept. 10

Sandra Baker
    Posted by Star-Telegram at 02:31:03 PM

Sprouts Farmers Market will open its first Arlington store, 5711 W. Interstate 20, at 7 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 10.

This is the grocer’s second Tarrant area store to open in the past month. It opened in Hurst on Aug. 6.

The store will host a ribbon-cutting to celebrate the new 25,000 square foot store.

Muffins and coffee samples will be served to everyone in line before the doors open and the first 200 shoppers in line will receive 20 percent off their first total purchase.

Coupon books will be given to every 15th shopper and every customer will receive a free reusable bag with a purchase.

Read more here: http://blogs.star-telegram.com/dfwjo...#storylink=cpy

Thread Information