Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DFW: Terminal Renovations

And on top of that you're having to build a brand new facility basically on top of the existing one while having as minimal of an impact as possible on daily operations. Where as with DFW, it will only be a portion of an existing structure/ramp area closed down for a length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by electricron
    It's the other way, DFW is 3 to 4 years behind DAL.
    You are correct.... thanks for noting my typo.
    "Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers."

Quote Originally Posted by electricron
    It's the other way, DFW is 3 to 4 years behind DAL.
    Well that depends on how you see Terminal D in that equation. At least DFW already has one modern working terminal compared to DAL. Construction will be phased at DFW so its not like the entire airport will be under construction until the entire Terminal Renovations Project is completed. DAL which will be under construction almost entirely until 2014.

Supertall Skyscraper Member electricron's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyeagle05
    Well that depends on how you see Terminal D in that equation. At least DFW already has one modern working terminal compared to DAL. Construction will be phased at DFW so its not like the entire airport will be under construction until the entire Terminal Renovations Project is completed. DAL which will be under construction almost entirely until 2014.
    I don't see it as completion of one new terminal before another, I see it as finishing all airport terminals before another. And DFW will not be finished with all construction until 2018, while DAL should be finished by 2014.

Skyscraper Member
    Completely useless argument. Comparing construction time lines between two airports this different in size is silly at best.

If I compare building two homes that start at the same time - one a mansion on a hilly lot with several out buildings but it took 2 years to build -vs- one being a tract home on former farm land that only takes 4 months - is one automatically better than the other just because one gets done first? Is one home owner somehow better than the other because his home is done first? Absolutely ludicrous criteria for comparison. Saying that the main home gets done in 6 months, but the out buildings don't get done until the very end.. does that change the equation? Nope. Still a stupid comparison.

Next topic please.

Brian
    Last edited by LH_Newbie; 14 February 2011 at 04:51 PM.

Hum. The timeline is very interesting. Passenger traffic through Love Field will begin to max out just out as DFW's rolling terminal renovation channels passengers through the new spaces.

Love Field carriers will continue to reduce the frequency of regional routes making way for more profitable longer distance routes.

DFW Airport will be searching for ways to increase passenger traffic to pay for the $2 Billion dollar fix. North Texas will have ~750,000 new residents by 2016 so the O/D volume will have rising equity, but DFW airport bean-counters will require a bigger source of visitors.

DFW Airport will need to recruit one of AA's competitors to operate a Super Hub. That wont be Continental/United and probably Delta/Northwest wont have a reason to return.

Southwest/Airtran, however, will have exceptionally promising opportunities to finally have DFW Airport support one or two terminals for the hometown hero.

Mid-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LH_Newbie
    Completely useless argument. Comparing construction time lines between two airports this different in size is silly at best.

If I compare building two homes that start at the same time - one a mansion on a hilly lot with several out buildings but it took 2 years to build -vs- one being a tract home on former farm land that only takes 4 months - is one automatically better than the other just because one gets done first? Is one home owner somehow better than the other because his home is done first? Absolutely ludicrous criteria for comparison. Saying that the main home gets done in 6 months, but the out buildings don't get done until the very end.. does that change the equation? Nope. Still a stupid comparison.

Next topic please.

Brian
    There ya go bringing logic to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by tamtagon
    Southwest/Airtran, however, will have exceptionally promising opportunities to finally have DFW Airport support one or two terminals for the hometown hero.
    Thanks for the chuckle.

Low-Rise Member
    Here are the DFW Terminals from a different perspective. This is taken at night. You can see how massive they are compared to surrounding structures. They also stand out compared to everything else in the video. If they put more glass in the ceiling during the renovation they will show up even better.

DFW International Airport at night as seen from a Continental Airlines 737-800 at 12,000 feet as we fly by. I got a close up of the international Terminal D and you will also see a plane taking-off right next to it.

http://youtu.be/2E6OMHe440w

Supertall Skyscraper Member aceplace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CO777DAL
    Here are the DFW Terminals from a different perspective. This is taken at night. You can see how massive they are compared to surrounding structures. They also stand out compared to everything else in the video. If they put more glass in the ceiling during the renovation they will show up even better.

DFW International Airport at night as seen from a Continental Airlines 737-800 at 12,000 feet as we fly by. I got a close up of the international Terminal D and you will also see a plane taking-off right next to it.
    That is a spectacular - and unusual - view of DFW at night. Usually, I'm on a plane landing or taking off... never on a plane that was doing a close flyby.

Interesting... and I think it will do very well. The DFW TravelMart stores already at the airport are always very busy. I wonder if we'll see one at the renovated Love Field.

7-Eleven lands space in remodeled D/FW Airport Terminal A
    By MARIA HALKIAS Staff Writer mhalkias@dallasnews.com
    Published 25 May 2011 11:05 AM
    http://www.dallasnews.com/business/r...terminal-a.ece

Are Slurpees and Big Bite hot dogs allowed on flights?

We’ll find out soon.

A 7-Eleven store is arriving at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport Gate 25 in Terminal A.

The Dallas-based convenience store’s 2013 debut inside an airport building won’t be soon enough for some of its fans. The airport delay is due to the 1,291-square-foot store’s being part of the terminal’s remodeling program that won’t be completed for two years.

7-Eleven operates a convenience store gas station on the grounds of Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey, but this is the first time the world’s largest convenience store gets to land in the secured gate areas.

“Dallas-Fort Worth is hometown for us, so it makes sense that our first U.S. outlet of this type is at D/FW Airport,” said Dan Porter, 7-Eleven’s development vice president.

Low-Rise Member
    HD Skylink FULL Tour DFW International Airport Dallas Fort Worth Train People Mover

Here is a video of all the terminals at DFW International Airport shot from the Skyline.

So here is the entire train ride on the Skylink People Mover at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport. I was going to edit it to speed it up but then I know there would be people that want to see the video unedited. I got on at Continental gates by E9 and rode it around the airport to Terminal C, A, B, D, and E. You will see lots of American Airlines, Delta, Midwest, Frontier, Airtran, Korean Air, Spirit, Continental, US Airways. Good views of the airfield and lots of planes

the 4 original terminals need to be renovated so they look like terminal D
    Go Mavs
    Go Cowboys
    Go Stars
    Go FC Dallas

DTID

Supertall Skyscraper Member electricron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankyh View Post
    I have heard that they are specifically taking over the old NW gates
    Who is "they"?

Pronouns should only be used after a noun so they can be associated with one another.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFWCRE8TIVE View Post
    Interesting... and I think it will do very well. The DFW TravelMart stores already at the airport are always very busy. I wonder if we'll see one at the renovated Love Field.

7-Eleven lands space in remodeled D/FW Airport Terminal A
    By MARIA HALKIAS Staff Writer mhalkias@dallasnews.com
    Published 25 May 2011 11:05 AM
    http://www.dallasnews.com/business/r...terminal-a.ece

Are Slurpees and Big Bite hot dogs allowed on flights?

We’ll find out soon.

A 7-Eleven store is arriving at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport Gate 25 in Terminal A.

The Dallas-based convenience store’s 2013 debut inside an airport building won’t be soon enough for some of its fans. The airport delay is due to the 1,291-square-foot store’s being part of the terminal’s remodeling program that won’t be completed for two years.

7-Eleven operates a convenience store gas station on the grounds of Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey, but this is the first time the world’s largest convenience store gets to land in the secured gate areas.

“Dallas-Fort Worth is hometown for us, so it makes sense that our first U.S. outlet of this type is at D/FW Airport,” said Dan Porter, 7-Eleven’s development vice president.

Every time one of these retail deals at DFW is announced, I like to check to see which local politically-connected figure gets "plugged in." In this case the primary tenant is LS Travel Retail North America, a subsidiary of the world's largest travel retailer. But even they can't escape the murky atmosphere associated with doing business at DFW Airport and evidently had to partner up with Ray Quintanilla.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownDallas View Post
    Every time one of these retail deals at DFW is announced, I like to check to see which local politically-connected figure gets "plugged in." In this case the primary tenant is LS Travel Retail North America, a subsidiary of the world's largest travel retailer. But even they can't escape the murky atmosphere associated with doing business at DFW Airport and evidently had to partner up with Ray Quintanilla.
    I'm not sure I fully understand the implications of your post, but I'm interested to hear. Please clarify. Thanks!

Frank Lloyd Wright Member
    It's an open secret that if you want concession business at either airport, you need to hook up with one of the "management" companies owned by several well-connected current and former national, state, and local politicians based in Dallas, one of whom sits on an airport board and another appropriates airport money. We had a recent issue at Love Field where group of cronies A wanted a no bid extension to preserve business through construction and new layout while group of cronies B fought it so it could get a shot. The no-bid was stopped, but I still don't think the situation is yet resolved.

Whats the news on the renovations out here?
    Go Mavs
    Go Cowboys
    Go Stars
    Go FC Dallas

DTID

NBC 5 Exclusive: Inside DFW Airport's Terminal Facelift
    Aging Terminal A is the first to undergo the transformation

By Scott Friedman | Friday, Jan 20, 2012
    http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/...137728268.html

If you've been to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, you've probably noticed the massive construction project underway at Terminal A.

NBC 5 got exclusive access behind the scenes. We also got a glimpse of the improvements we'll see when it's all done.

The old noisy gray tile floors are on the way out, they're being replaced with smooth terrazzo.

The ceilings will be lifted up and the old brown concrete walls covered with shiny new panels and glass.

The windows will be bigger with more lounge space where passengers can kick back on sleek new chairs.

Airport officials quietly unveiled some of the changes at two gates inside Terminal A recently. It's a little hint of what the building will look like when it's finished.

So are they doing like 5 gates at a time and then moving on to the next 5 then next 5 and so on and so on...?
    Go Mavs
    Go Cowboys
    Go Stars
    Go FC Dallas

DTID

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    So are they doing like 5 gates at a time and then moving on to the next 5 then next 5 and so on and so on...?
    1/3 of a terminal at a time, I think. If you know the airport's history, each terminal was originally divided into 3 separate departure areas (with corresponding parking lots/garages). Today's Terminal A was once Terminal 2E: Sections A, B, C. By renovating one section at a time, they can close off one of the garages and a section of gates without interrupting travel in the other sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    Basically. It's still a functioning airport, you know. Closing even a few gates at a time creates a bit of a squeeze at DFW. This should be really fun when they get to Terminal E and they're disrupting non-AA domestic carriers with only a couple of gates.

More on the timeline, here: http://dfwairport.com/vfr2030/forward/index.php

Work has started on Terminal A. I saw it two nights ago on a flight from Philly. The parking garages are apparently also being replaced. Here's an article from the DMN

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...t-visitors.ece

D/FW Airport unveiled plans Thursday for a redesigned Terminal A parking garage, scheduled for completion at the end of this year.
    A
    Text Size

By TERRY MAXON

Staff Writer

tmaxon@dallasnews.com

Published: 01 March 2012 09:41 PM

Parkers at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport will encounter a new parking garage at Terminal A in the near future — and it’ll be a smarter garage, too.

D/FW Airport officials unveiled their plans Thursday for a new $176.7 million parking garage to go alongside Terminal A, which is being rebuilt.

As part of that project, the designers plan a parking guidance system that officials hope will reduce that endless wandering so familiar to anyone trying to find a space in the airport’s crowded garages.

“Instead of having to drive up and down every row to see if there’s an empty space, it’ll have a green light or a red light to indicate whether or not there’s any space available down those various corridors,” airport chief executive Jeff Fegan said at a news conference.

The new garage will closely resemble the parking garage at Terminal D, but with some refinements, Fegan said.

Skyscraper Member ChampionDallas's Avatar
    Some more detailed stats on the project:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...ics-about.html

I've read from some articles that the completion date for the new garage is 2014, this one says late 2012. I can't imagine construction/deconstruction of a garage taking ~2yrs. Does anybody know anymore about the true completion date?

Without reading anything or calling about it, I'd guess rebuilding/reconstructing/deconstructing is going to be incremental while some portion of the garage is still in heavy use. Logistics. Engineering in tight spaces. Working around keeping the garage in use. Pace of funding/bonding. Timing with Terminal A rebuilding. So on. Just random guesses.

2012 is a typo. Incremental openings is probably more notable.

http://www.dfwairport.com/pressroom/..._A_Parking.php

Either way, I'm sure one of the sections will be opened earlier than the later, possible in late '12 or early '13.

Did the airport really need study groups to decide that the new parking garage was needed? <rhetorical. The surface was cracked, the lights were indeed not only dim but too sparse, and the stairs were an absolute pain with a capital P to carry luggage up and down, especially when taking month long trips through Europe.

I'm really glad for DFW to find the need to build this new garage!

I'll have to stop by and upload some pics when the construction starts.

TEX Rail commuter train from Fort Worth to Grapevine, DFW Airport

March 27, 2012
    TEX Rail commuter train from Fort Worth to Grapevine, DFW Airport gets blessing from feds

Supporters of a proposed commuter rail line from southwest Fort Worth to Grapevine and Dallas Fort Worth Airport say the project is a huge step closer to reality after a federal agency gave its blessing for preliminary engineering and design to begin.

"This puts us in the pipeline," said Fort Worth Transportation Authority president Dick Ruddell. "This means that all of our engineering costs are reimbursable."

Read more here: http://blogs.star-telegram.com/honki...#storylink=cpy
    Not sure this is the best place to post this train article, but it should be good news for DFW airport as well.

Great news for the future!

Has DART gotten the same approval?
    Last edited by Double Wide; 27 March 2012 at 01:24 PM.
    Go Mavs
    Go Cowboys
    Go Stars
    Go FC Dallas

DTID

That's a nice change. If and when the T and DART station get built and had that same kind of "Sail" shade entrance, then it would tie everything in perfectly.
    Go Mavs
    Go Cowboys
    Go Stars
    Go FC Dallas

DTID

Having lived in Denver, I have ever since been a fan of the white tarp. If the tarp was used throughout DFW, it would look incredible.

Terminal D also uses the white panels extensively.

The Terminal E satellite is under renovation now.

D/FW Airport prepares to reopen old Delta satellite as it remodels Terminal E
    By TERRY MAXON Staff Writer tmaxon@dallasnews.com
    Published: 28 July 2012 03:02 PM
    http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...terminal-e.ece

A slumbering part of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport’s past is being reawakened to help shape its future.

Contractors for the airport are hammering and welding a nine-gate satellite terminal back into working condition so airlines can be moved there temporarily — in a form of gate shuffle — as workers renovate and modernize the airport’s Terminal E gates over the next four years.

And after the project is finished, the nine gates will be used to provide more space for the airport’s growing roster of airlines at Terminal E, officials say.

Solis said the airport decommissioned the satellite with the idea that it could someday be reopened.

“The airport took a lot of care, recognizing the importance of that particular facility, to go ahead and mothball it and to go ahead and store it appropriately from a mechanical, electrical and plumbing standpoint,” Solis said as he led visitors on a recent tour of the facility.

“So what you see here now is the unveiling of all that mothballing, if you will. We’re putting in new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems and air handlers. We’re putting in new jet bridges,” he said.

In the first stage, US Airways Inc. and Spirit Airlines Inc., in the terminal’s southern third, will make their temporary move next spring.

Solis said it will take 12 to 14 months to rebuild their Terminal E space. When that work is finished, those carriers will move into their remodeled area, and the airlines from Terminal E’s middle third will replace them in the satellite facility.

Again, after 12 to 14 months, they’ll move back to their original Terminal E space and the airlines from the northern one third of Terminal E will do the satellite shuffle.

Solis said the airport’s schedule calls for Terminal E work to be finished in 2016.

When Terminal E’s reconstruction is finished, the airport does not plan to put the satellite and its gates back into hibernation — it just doesn’t know which airline or airlines will be using it.

“When we’re finished with this and once the airlines finish using their gates in support of the TRIP [renovation] program, we’ll have nine additional gates that the airport can use on a go-forward basis,” Solis said.

“The additional gates give us room for the anticipated growth here that’s going to be at Terminal E. Very exciting time. Wonderful facilities. We’re going to have an asset here at the airport.”

^ Terminal E's satellite terminal opened this Wednesday after seven years of abandonment.

Mid-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionDallas View Post
    ^ Terminal E's satellite terminal opened this Wednesday after seven years of abandonment.

Nice to see the black sheep of DFW terminal spaces back. It sits out there like a giant middle finger to the overall symmetrical order of DFW. Too bad it is Spirit in the satellite.

High-Rise Member
    I'm looking at Google Maps, and the only facility that looks like it could be the satelitte terminal E is to the southeast of terminal E, and looks like it has maybe room for 4-5 gates? Is that the right facility or is it somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez View Post
    Is that the right facility or is it somewhere else.
    That's it. There is an dingy underground walkway connecting it to Terminal E, although I'm sure that will be updated with the whole renovation.

Screen shot 2012-10-26 at 11.12.35 AM.jpg

Looks like Terminal B is getting a 10-gate extension for regional jets as part of the terminal renovations:

https://www.dfwairport.com/cs/groups.../p1_062559.pdf

High-Rise Member homeworld1031tx's Avatar
    New video with a much expanded view of the terminal renovations, plus at the end it shows the pedestrian walkway to the DART station. At the very least, DFW has a great looking logo animation

I hope that the video above is correct, and that all cabs, limos, buses, etc, are being moved downstairs. PLEASE.

Some photos from American's Facebook page today (Phase I of Terminal A):

Nice. Everyhting is looking better already. Just think. by the time they are done, it will be time to do it again!
    Go Mavs
    Go Cowboys
    Go Stars
    Go FC Dallas

DTID

Looks like everything gets smaller and flatter.....except baggage claim.

Think about it, we could have had a new Terminal A for American.

Why dont we?
    Go Mavs
    Go Cowboys
    Go Stars
    Go FC Dallas

DTID

Here's the new list of retailers in Terminal A:

http://www.dfwairport.com/pressroom/...Terminal_A.php

The new parking facility with indicator lights at every space should be very efficient. I wish more garages in this area would do the same.

http://www.dfwairport.com/pressroom/...Terminal_A.php

Many other photos here

Does anybody know the status of the Terminal B "stinger?" Is it under construction yet or are they renovating the B-D gates first?

Gare d'Orsay in the USA PennStation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnangle View Post
    Does anybody know the status of the Terminal B "stinger?" Is it under construction yet or are they renovating the B-D gates first?
    Stinger 6/21/13:
    Term B Stinger 25%.jpg

B-D FIS Corridor 6/21/13:
    B-D FIS Corridor 2 50%.jpg

B-D FIS Corridor 6 50%.jpg

The entire B-D corridor was closed two or three weeks ago. I don't remember when it was/is scheduled to reopen, but I think that passengers should be able to walk directly from B to D (i.e., without going through A and C first) before the end of the summer. The Skylink, of course, remains the preferred method.
    Then and than are two different words.

Thread Information