Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: DFW wants to be the premier airport in the global marketplace

If you go to Delta.com and attempt to book DFW-LGA in mid April onward, you'll notice that the flight has been shifted to DFW-JFK.

Makes sense considering JFK is a Delta hub.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grantboston
    If you go to Delta.com and attempt to book DFW-LGA in mid April onward, you'll notice that the flight has been shifted to DFW-JFK.

Makes sense considering JFK is a Delta hub.
    I shudder when I contemplate what new, stratospheric level of fare AA will charge on this route once their only non-stop competition is gone.

Checking tomorrow's flight, we're currently at the mind-boggling price of $1,455 round-trip (the most expensive walk-up fare in the U.S., possibly?).

Wonder what the new price will be? $1,700... $1,800.

Mid-Rise Member
    Prolly not... since recent stats have shown that DFW isn't the most expensive airport...
    Last edited by interestedobserver; 22 January 2007 at 06:21 PM.

-
    At one point I was paying over $2000 to LGA for unrestricted fares. Fun times...

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by interestedobserver
    Prolly not... since recent stats have shown that DFW isn't the most expensive airport...
    Who's got the honors now?

-
    ^cvg

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by St-T
    ^cvg
    That's what I thought.

Not to make light of their pain, but one thing important to note about folks in Cincinnati is that, depending on which side of the metro area they live in, they have a choice of four alternative, enitrely unrestricted commerical airports, all of which are located within 100 miles of their city (Louisville, Lexington, Dayton and Indianapolis).
    Last edited by UptownDallas; 23 January 2007 at 02:45 PM.

Mid-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by St-T
    ^cvg
    DFW was #5 or so, IIRC. MSP was up there, and perhaps DET?

Skyscraper Member
    MSP is pretty interesting... similar dilemma to North Texas, a bunch of Northwest airlines fortress hub captives.

The geographical situation there is similar to DFW. If they don't want to deal with the MSP hub, the nearest legitimate alternative airport is hundreds of miles away.

Mid-Rise Member
    I hadn't had time to look this up (no excuse as all it took was a 2-second Google search), but I definitely should have, as I was making things up (or perhaps recalling old stats)! Apologies to all.

Looks like it's

1 CVG
    2 SFO
    3 IAD
    4 EWR/DFW (tie)

With the average round-trip ticket costing $570, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International (CVG) continues to be the nation's most expensive major airport to fly to or from.

[...]

Rounding out the top five most-expensive major airports with average round-trip fares: No. 2, San Francisco International Airport, $494; No. 3, Dulles International Airport in Washington, D.C., $448; No. 4 (tie), Newark International Airport in New Jersey and Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, $448.

How they determined EWR and DFW are tied, yet IAD is not despite having the same average round-trip fare is beyond me.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...airfares_x.htm

-
    Nada for DFW, yet again. Thanks, AA.

American Airlines To Serve Rome Year-Round From Chicago And New York

American Also To Upgrade Chicago-Frankfurt Service To Boeing 777

FORT WORTH, Texas – American Airlines will upgrade its service between Rome and the United States to year-round beginning April 10. American has previously flown the routes during the summer season only. The airline, a founding member of the global oneworld® Alliance, serves Rome from its Chicago O’Hare hub as well as New York’s JFK International Airport using Boeing 767-300 widebody aircraft.

During the peak summer season both routes out of Chicago and New York will continue to be flown daily. Beginning Oct. 28, 2007, and continuing through March 31, 2008, the service will be flown four times a week from Chicago and three times per week from New York. Chicago flights will operate Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. New York flights will operate Tuesday, Friday and Sunday.

“We believe there is significant demand for year-round service to Rome,” said Henry Joyner, American’s Senior Vice President – Planning. “We think we’ve found a great way to accomplish this, which not only serves the large markets in Chicago and New York, but also provides superb connecting opportunities throughout our network.”

American’s Boeing 767-300 aircraft offer 30 seats in the Business Class cabin and 189 seats in the Main cabin. Business Class passengers will soon get to experience American’s Next-Generation Business Class which is being rolled out this year. The Next-Generation Business Class features lie-flat seats with 77 inches of legroom, a personal inflight entertainment system with both video and audio on demand, state-of-the-art cabin lighting and ergonomically-designed overhead bins.

In addition, American also announced that it will begin flying its daily route between Chicago O’Hare and Frankfurt using its 245-seat Boeing 777 aircraft, effective April 10. The 777 features three-class service – First, Business and Main cabin. The First Class cabin features American’s Flagship Suites. Business Class features comfortable fully-adjustable seating with 60 inches of legroom. The 777 aircraft will also have American’s Next-Generation Business Class installed in the coming months. The larger aircraft also increases American’s cargo capacity between the United States and Frankfurt. American is currently serving the Chicago-Frankfurt market with its Boeing 767-300 aircraft.

Damn, that would be sweet to hop on a 777 at DFW and land in Rome. Granted, it will never happen, but it would still be sweet.
    By the power of greyskull!

Super Moderator
    Remember AA's old ad campaign. Based here, best here. They should have a new one for us. Based here, best in Chicago.....or something like that. Seems more fitting.

-
    Based here, Best in Chicago--16 daily flights--have fun connecting.

"American-We know why you fly...to connect in Chicago"

Mid-Rise Member
    I don't know what some of you expect. AA doesn't simply add service to DFW because it's their home airport. It generally puts aircraft on routes that are economically viable or better utilized than they would be elsewhere.

The only two things we have to blame here are the demographics and geographic position of the Metroplex.

Instead of whining on this board, we'd be better served by booking tickets to Italy so AA sees the demand for direct DFW-Rome flights.

Super Moderator

Instead of whining on this board, we'd be better served by booking tickets to Italy so AA sees the demand for direct DFW-Rome flights.
    I think we are just having some fun.

I don't know what some of you expect. AA doesn't simply add service to DFW because it's their home airport. It generally puts aircraft on routes that are economically viable or better utilized than they would be elsewhere.
    So, AA should stop freaking throwing a hissy fit when other airlines (namely Southwest) want to add more service to the area. Surely, AA doesn't think that DFW residents/travelers will sit idly by while AA dictates to us how many travel options we can have, based upon whether AA thinks our market is "economically viable" enough to add more service.
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something. - Plato

Mid-Rise Member
    AA will 'throw a hissy fit' whenever it feels its bottom line is threatened. As will any other airline/business (to what degree or how is open to interpretation and certainly better fit for another thread).

AA, like Southwest, cares about keeping its investors happy first and foremost. Warm feelings from Luv and Red, White & Blue eagles that some in the Metroplex might get from said businesses are nice, but merely side effects.

AA will 'throw a hissy fit' whenever it feels its bottom line is threatened. As will any other airline/business (to what degree or how is open to interpretation and certainly better fit for another thread).
    I understand that part, as I've stated it in another thread. However, my point was there will come a time when AA's "hissy fits" won't work for AA anymore.
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something. - Plato

Mid-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mballar
    I understand that part, as I've stated it in another thread. However, my point was there will come a time when AA's "hissy fits" won't work for AA anymore.
    Fair enough... just not seeing how that relates to AA flying to Rome. Seems to be just a way to get a jab in at DFW Urban Forum's favorite AAirline to hate.

Fair enough... just not seeing how that relates to AA flying to Rome. Seems to be just a way to get a jab in at DFW Urban Forum's favorite AAirline to hate.
    Hate or Respect are EARNED responses.
    "Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers."

Skyscraper Member

AA, like Southwest, cares about keeping its investors happy first and foremost. Warm feelings from Luv and Red, White & Blue eagles that some in the Metroplex might get from said businesses are nice, but merely side effects.
    I interpret the phrase "hissy fit," to read "massive deployment of lobbyists, pubicists and capital in an influence to exert extraordinary levels of pressure on elected officials and other public sector employees."

On that count, AA has consistently outspent all other air carriers (both legacy and LCCs) by a large amount.

If AA were to focus more on delivering a quality product at a reasonable price and less on trying to influence politicians (disrupting the obligation of elected officials to represent their own constituents in the process) and deceiving the public, it might find a better reception on this board.

The only two things we have to blame here are the demographics and geographic position of the Metroplex.
    I just know for me personally, it's just hard to sit back and watch an airline like Delta add more and more routes out of it's home hub in Atlanta and then watch AA add more and more routes out of any other airport but it's home at DFW. Chicago gets a new AA route to Peking. Chicago gets a new route to Mumbai. Chicago gets a new route to Rome. Boston gets a new route to Shannon, Ireland. JFK gets a new route to Rome. Miami gets an extra route to Heathrow. Etc, etc, etc. DFW gets a new route to Topeka. Excuse me if I don't turn cartwheels in my living room.

I understand that geography plays a role when adding routes and Chicago's location simply makes more sense on most international routes than DFW. It's just frustrating. But, then again, Delta is on the brink of bankrupcy and AA is turning a profit.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers
    I just know for me personally, it's just hard to sit back and watch an airline like Delta add more and more routes out of it's home hub in Atlanta and then watch AA add more and more routes out of any other airport but it's home at DFW. Chicago gets a new AA route to Peking. Chicago gets a new route to Mumbai. Chicago gets a new route to Rome. Boston gets a new route to Shannon, Ireland. JFK gets a new route to Rome. Miami gets an extra route to Heathrow. Etc, etc, etc. DFW gets a new route to Topeka. Excuse me if I don't turn cartwheels in my living room.

I understand that geography plays a role when adding routes and Chicago's location simply makes more sense on most international routes than DFW. It's just frustrating. But, then again, Delta is on the brink of bankrupcy and AA is turning a profit.
    Hell, why not look closer to home... just down the road in Houston.

Continental has been expanding their international presence their like crazy... adding all sorts of great destinations. Moreover, the Houston Airport System appears to do a much better job of attracting service from a wide variety of foreign flag carriers without intereference from Continental.

Mid-Rise Member
    Exactly. It might be frustrating, but there's not much you can do aside from MOVE to a city that has a better geographic/demographic position for catching more non-stop international flights.

We've got a slew of flights to South America that Chicago doesn't have. We've also got double-dailies to Japan. There are some things that DFW is well-positioned for. But there are many things that it is not. 'Lesser' European destinations will virtually always go to more Northern/Eastern hubs where AA can pick up more logical, in-path connections.

AA is also very conservative when it comes to new routes, more so than most other airlines.

You mentioned Chicago getting a China flight. Well, if you recall, AA wanted to fly non-stop from DFW to Beijing (Chicago's got Shanghai) but the pilots scuttled that proposition.

Assuming AA gets Boeing 787s down the road, I'd expect DFW to see some new international non-stops open up as they become more economically feasible on the smaller aircraft.

Mid-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownDallas
    Hell, why not look closer to home... just down the road in Houston.

Continental has been expanding their international presence their like crazy... adding all sorts of great destinations. Moreover, the Houston Airport System appears to do a much better job of attracting service from a wide variety of foreign flag carriers without intereference from Continental.
    Houston also has a much greater international draw thanks to the Texas Medical Center, the oil business, a collection of foreign consulates, and a large foreign-born and/or internationally-tied population. Dallas just can't compete in the demand department. Houston's got the O&D passengers which pay more and for whom airlines go first.

Super Moderator
    D/FW tweaks incentives to draw new carriers

08:16 AM CST on Wednesday, January 31, 2007
    By SUZANNE MARTA / The Dallas Morning News
    E-mail smarta@dallasnews.com

Officials at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport want more flexibility when it comes to luring carriers to launch new service from the world's third-busiest airport.

The board is expected to approve a change to its air service incentive program Thursday that would allow airport officials to offer prorated incentives to carriers whose new international service doesn't meet the guidelines outlined when the program was launched two years ago.

Under the revised program, carriers would not have to offer an international route for the full 12 to 18 months required, depending on type of aircraft, and would not have to maintain minimum weekly frequencies to be eligible for a lesser financial incentive that is proportionate to the service being offered.

"There are some opportunities that we're chasing right now that this would let us close," said Joe Lopano, D/FW's executive vice president of marketing and terminal management.

Mr. Lopano declined to say which carriers those opportunities might include, except to say the routes would be to Mexico.

The air service incentive program was launched in January 2005 as a way to appeal to carriers as the airport looked to fill gates vacated by Delta Air Lines Inc. and overcome what officials said was reluctance to consider D/FW Airport while the Wright amendment restrictions at Dallas Love Field were being debated.

The program combines marketing assistance of up to $200,000 and more than a year of rebates on landing fees for domestic, international and cargo services, depending on aircraft type.

-

No Virgin Air for DFW

Virgin America names first six destinations
    Even though it's still fighting to win federal approval to fly as a U.S. carrier, California-based start-up Virgin America has announced what it hopes will be its first six destinations. As it has already said in the past, the carrier plans to make San Francisco-New York JFK its inaugural route. In addition to those cities, Virgin America says it also plans to fly to Washington Dulles, Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas within its first nine months, "pending … certification by the U.S. Department of Transportation." Virgin America did not announce exactly which routes it would fly from those airports.

In other news from Virgin America, the airline announced Tuesday that it named Samuel Skinner as vice chairman of its board of directors. Skinner is a former Secretary of Transportation and served as the White House Chief of Staff under President George H.W. Bush, a move that the carrier no doubt helps ease DOT concerns that it is operating as an American-based carrier –- and out of the influence of British entrepreneur Richard Branson and his Virgin brand. “We are thrilled to have Secretary Skinner join our Board as we continue to demonstrate our compliance with the Department’s citizenship requirements," Virgin America CEO Fred Reid says in a press release. "Sam brings a depth of knowledge and experience in transportation, and a well known, sterling reputation for independence, integrity, and U.S. leadership in aviation issues."

DFW Airport and its incentive program reminds me of an old Eddie Murphy joke. . .something about "your sister being so ugly that you have to tie a pork chop around her neck just so the dog will play with her." The fortress hub that the airport board has allowed AA to create has created an "ugly" situation. Now, no airline that isn't already there wants to come and rent those empty gates (play) unless the airport board significantly enhances its incentive program (the pork chop). When I think of the title of this thread, and actual reality at the airport, it's almost laughable. 3 1/2 years after the start of this thread, what has/is DFW Airport's Board really doing to become "the premiere airport in the global marketplace?"
    Last edited by Mballar; 31 January 2007 at 06:51 PM.

DFW Airport and its incentive program reminds me of an old Eddie Murphy joke. . .something about "your sister being so ugly that you have to tie a pork chop around her neck just so the dog will play with her." The fortress hub that the airport board has allowed AA to create has created an "ugly" situation. Now, no airline that isn't already there wants to come and rent those empty gates (play) unless the airport board significantly enhances its incentive program (the pork chop). When I think of the title of this thread, and actual reality at the airport, it's almost laughable. 3 1/2 years after the start of this thread, what has/is DFW Airport's Board really doing to become "the premiere airport in the global marketplace?"
    Just think we had an opportunity to resolve the competition issue at DFW and actually remove the stranglehold on DFW. But some of us did not think it was important to make airlines compete for the same market from the same airport.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddinHead
    Just think we had an opportunity to resolve the competition issue at DFW and actually remove the stranglehold on DFW.
    Yes but that "Johnny come lately" AAirline refused to move back to New York City.
    "Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers."

Mid-Rise Member
    'cause we'd be better off without AA's hub here... right.

More people would be whining more on this thread about the lack of non-stops from DFW. Thanks to that hub the Metroplex enjoys far more nonstop frequencies to more destinations than its population can economically justify.

'cause we'd be better off without AA's hub here... right.

More people would be whining more on this thread about the lack of non-stops from DFW. Thanks to that hub the Metroplex enjoys far more nonstop frequencies to more destinations than its population can economically justify.
    I have to agree with you there. As much as we like to make AA our whipping boy on this forum, we have to acknowledge that a large part of the reason that DFW has been such an economic driver in the region is due to the fact that it is AA's "fortress" hub. A large factor for corporate relocations to Dallas/Ft. Worth is due to the fact that their HQ is centralized in the country with non-stop access to most major cities from DFW.

I know that we want DFW and the Dallas Metro Area as a whole to have all of the newest and best. What we tend to forget is what we already have compared to other metro areas across the country.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a huge AA fan. I fly somwhere on AA every Monday morning. That being said, I'm no fan of the Wright Amendment in any form so don't think that I am on here as an agent of the evil empire. I just think that we tend to lose perspective here sometimes where AA is concerned.

That's my 2 cents.

Supertall Skyscraper Member psukhu's Avatar
    ^
    I also fly somewhere almost every week an AA. I use AA because they can get me almost anywhere I need to go non-stop. I also like accruing my elite miles with one airline. This year I’m going to try to use AA exclusively so I attempt to get platinum status.

However, I wouldn't mind using Southwest for variety if I could get to the east or west coasts non-stop. Also, the frequent flier program isn’t as complicated as AA.

Quote Originally Posted by psukhu
    ^
    I also fly somewhere almost every week an AA. I use AA because they can get me almost anywhere I need to go non-stop. I also like accruing my elite miles with one airline. This year I’m going to try to use AA exclusively so I attempt to get platinum status.

However, I wouldn't mind using Southwest for variety if I could get to the east or west coasts non-stop. Also, the frequent flier program isn’t as complicated as AA.
    I'm doing the same. AAdvantage has an offer that's called a Platinum Challenge. If you call the customer service line, they can set you up on it. You just have to fly a certain amount of qualifying legs in a three month span and you will achieve Platinum status.

I agree about using SWA. Being a Dallas native, I would love to give all of those fares to Southwest. Unfortunately, there was not an out-right repeal. I hate lay-overs in business and personal travel, so the AAdvantage program makes much more sense to me.

All my flights are on AA as well for several reasons. DFW is far closer to my house than Love, AA flies nonstop to just about everywhere I need to go out of DFW, and I'm a Gold level frequent flyer with AA (working on Platnium, but that probably won't happen anytime soon). I also like being upgraded to first class whenever I fly. That's something Southwest will never offer.

I agree that it's easy to whip AA on a message board, but their hub at DFW is a MAJOR reason for the current and future growth in the metroplex.

I'm going to interrupt for a moment. How does AA's frequent flier program help DFW Airport become "the premier airport in the global marketplace?" Please allow me to pose my question again: 3 1/2 years after the start of this thread, what has/is DFW Airport's Board doing to make DFW International Airport "the premier airport in the global marketplace?"

Supertall Skyscraper Member psukhu's Avatar
    I'm going to interrupt for a moment. How does AA's frequent flier program help DFW Airport become "the premier airport in the global marketplace?" Please allow me to pose my question again: 3 1/2 years after the start of this thread, what has/is DFW Airport's Board doing to make DFW International Airport "the premier airport in the global marketplace?"
    The experience is always different depending on if you are a visitor or a local resident. For example, I like SFO and I don't like San Jose when I'm going to the south Bay. The car rental experience is much better at SFO. My [south] Bay Area friends prefer San Jose over SFO since it is easier to get in and out for locals.

DFW observations as a local resident:

The Good
    -On-site covered parking for as low as $11/day.
    -State of the art Terminal D with great places to eat and drink.
    -Bags come out quickly at baggage claim.
    -Don't have to take a train to get to the baggage claim from the gate.
    -Multiple security check points in every terminal. The ratio of gates to security check points is low.
    -Plenty of one hour parking spots, making it easy for locals to pickup visitors.
    -All parking can be paid with TollTag
    -T-Mobile WiFi coverage is excellent.
    -Can park at the gate if I'm running late for $17/day

The Bad
    -Not enough electrical outlets to plug-in laptops. I hate to waste my laptop battery before I even get on the flight.

The Ugly
    Terminal A needs to be updated.

Airports are graded on number of flight operations, passengers/freight handled etc. That serves to illustrate that any airport is only as important as the airlines that serve the airport and the services those airlines provide to the market the airport serves.

Obviously the airport board is not doing everything it can to make the airport the premier airport in the global market place.

The board did put forth a fairly successful effort to thwart the effort to repeal the Wright Amendment compromising only after Southwest agreed to 8 more years of restrictions on long distance flights and a permanent restriction on the number of gates at Love Field.

Does that count for anything?
    Last edited by PuddinHead; 03 February 2007 at 11:22 PM.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddinHead
    The board did put forth a fairly successful effort to thwart the effort to repeal the Wright Amendment compromising only after Southwest agreed to 8 more years of restrictions on long distance flights and a permanent restriction on the number of gates at Love Field.

Does that count for anything?
    Absolutely. That should help keeping airfares up, thereby depressing passenger traffic levels while also propping up AA's margins.

Between the 8-year restriction on non-stop service at Love, the 25-year gate lock-up agreement between AA, WN and CO, the soon-to-be-implemented artificial run of Love Field costs and the collective agreement to fight the implementation of new service anywhere in North Texas other than DFW Airport, the board has done about as good a job as one could imagine in serving to retard air passenger traffic levels, thereby harming the local economy.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownDallas
    Absolutely. That should help keeping airfares up, thereby depressing passenger traffic levels while also propping up AA's margins.

Between the 8-year restriction on non-stop service at Love, the 25-year gate lock-up agreement between AA, WN and CO, the soon-to-be-implemented artificial run of Love Field costs and the collective agreement to fight the implementation of new service anywhere in North Texas other than DFW Airport, the board has done about as good a job as one could imagine in serving to retard air passenger traffic levels, thereby harming the local economy.
    So would you like to explain to us how the DFW board could possibly have been justified in not fighting the repeal effort?

DFW was more than justified in its actions towards the repeal effort. Besides how could DFW perserve its place as the premier airport in this region by giving up market share to competing airports? Remember that DFW is our gateway to the world. Love Field is just a connection.

-
    ^I thought PuddinHead was banned???

Super Moderator
    Frontier starts service from D/FW to Mazatlán 2:03 PM CST

02:03 PM CST on Wednesday, February 7, 2007
    From Staff Reports

Frontier began selling tickets Wednesday for nonstop service between Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and Mazatlán, Mexico.

After receiving approval for the new route from the Department of Transportation last month, Frontier becomes the only airline to serve the Mazatlán from D-FW nonstop.

Customers can buy tickets now through Frontier’s Web site for the flights, which will begin June 7. Tickets soon will be available through travel agents and other online vendors as well, the airline said. Frontier is offering introductory fares starting at $178 round trip, but they must be purchased by March 28.

With the addition of the new route, the Denver-based airline now flies to eight Mexican destinations from 11 U.S. markets.

“Mazatlán, one of our first Mexican resort destinations, has also been one of our most popular since we began serving it from Denver in 2002,” said John Happ, Frontier’s senior vice president of marketing and planning, said in a statement Wednesday.

^^Great news!

As much as I love them, I expect AA to annouce they'll start the same service just to compete with Frontier.

-
    That is AWESOME NEWS!! I wish Frontier would add Cabo, Cancun, and PV!!

Skyscraper Member
    ^^Great news!

As much as I love them, I expect AA to annouce they'll start the same service just to compete with Frontier.
    That's what they usually do. Expect AA to announce new service, double AAdvantage miles, roundtrip fares of $150, and possibly a savory meal and free drinks because they need "to be competitive."

Once Frontier exits, AA will jack up fares and revert to their usual, mediocre service for a couple of months, then exit entirely, claiming that the demand just wasn't there.

Sadly, it's all too predictable.

"Once Frontier exits, AA will jack up fares and revert to their usual, mediocre service for a couple of months, then exit entirely, claiming that the demand just wasn't there."

Is it possible to revert to something if it never existed in the first place? For now, Frontier has the market cornered.

High-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grantboston
    Is it possible to revert to something if it never existed in the first place? For now, Frontier has the market cornered.
    So you're saying AA's service never existed? Come on, that's too tough. AA clearly can't match say Continental for service, but they're not THAT bad.

Jason

Skyscraper Member
    According to an article in the Wall Street Journal earlier this week, American ranked 8 out of 10 airlines in customer complaints last year (only United and USAirways scored worse) and 8 out of 10 airlines in mishandled baggage (with Delta and USAirways bringing up the rear).

Thread Information