Thread: Las Colinas to host Red Bull Flugtag

Las Colinas to host Red Bull Flugtag

New Sporting Events Big Win for Economy

From the inaugural Irving-Las Colinas Marathon in April to the Red Bull Flugtag event this September — residents and visitors will have plenty of new, local outdoor events to enjoy this year. These new large-scale activities are seen by city officials as welcomed opportunities for the local economy.

This year, a Mylan World TeamTennis (WTT) franchise is relocating from Kansas City, Mo., to Irving — making the city an attractive destination for tennis enthusiasts. Events associated with the acquisition of Irving’s Texas Wild WTT team will bring the city international exposure and is projected to have an economic impact of $4 million in the first year.

“World TeamTennis has the potential to draw visitors to Irving from around the metroplex, across Texas, from surrounding states and beyond who will not only enjoy the world class tennis, but who will also spend money in Irving restaurants, stores and stay in Irving hotels generating revenue for Irving residents,” said Brad Smyth, tourism director for the Texas Office of the Governor’s Economic Development and Tourism Division.

The same principle shared by Smyth rings true for all local events. Irving’s central location coupled with amenities such as Campión Trail makes the city a choice destination for outdoor activities. Just added to the city’s activity calendar is the inaugural Irving-Las Colinas Marathon (ilcmarathon.com) set for April 27. Early estimates indicate the city’s inaugural marathon will bring 3,000 participants to the city. The HP Byron Nelson Championship will return to Irving May 13-19 with 250,000 attendees. The city also is preparing to roll out the red carpet for the Red Bull Flugtag at Lake Carolyn this September, which is expected to bring 50,000 spectators to the city.
    Now, this should be fun.

I went to the Flugtag in Austin several years ago. It was a lot of fun

SAWEEET! We should make one and enter it!
    Cider is an amazing addition to the bars of America but it gives me the worst hangovers......

High-Rise Member homeworld1031tx's Avatar
    Haha how serendipitous... I just started working with carbon fiber composites. Maybe we could win this thing

Supertall Skyscraper Member
    Pretty cool! It'll be right down the street from me...

Still a few months from the Red Bull Flugtag, but the annual Dragon Boat festival kicks off Sunday.

High-Rise Member ChampionDallas's Avatar
    Now this is interesting!

Having lost Texas Stadium, the Byron Nelson, ExxonMobil, and most likely the Cowboy's training facility...Las Colinas needs some excitement. Also, the Convention Center hotel should be chosen by June.

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionDallas View Post
    Now this is interesting!

Having lost ExxonMobil...
    You know something we don't?

Not sure if anyone here made it out to the Flugtag, but it was ABSOLUTELY PACKED! If Irving/Las Colinas can keep something like this annually, and combine it with a multi day festival along Las Colinas blvd in the Urban Center, than this would more than make up for the loss of the Byron. Maybe not in name, but it certainly appeals to a larger audience.

Yes, I went to this and it was absolutely awesome!! What a great day for Las Colinas. Red Bull estimated 92K people showed up. It was packed! The restaurants were full, the patios were buzzing, weather was perfect, people were having an awesome time. I agree 100% that if LC could attract and keep something like this every year it would be huge. Add a stage and bring in a big musical guest!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelley USA View Post
    Yes, I went to this and it was absolutely awesome!! What a great day for Las Colinas. Red Bull estimated 92K people showed up. It was packed! The restaurants were full, the patios were buzzing, weather was perfect, people were having an awesome time. I agree 100% that if LC could attract and keep something like this every year it would be huge. Add a stage and bring in a big musical guest!
    Let's just hope Irving follows the recommendations of the new master plan to purchase property for large enough public parks/spaces. That way the city can continue to attract and book events beyond the new privately owned music factory complex. This would also provide all these new residents somewhere with walking distance to run around and enjoy nice days like this weekend around the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyeagle05 View Post
    Let's just hope Irving follows the recommendations of the new master plan to purchase property for large enough public parks/spaces. That way the city can continue to attract and book events beyond the new privately owned music factory complex. This would also provide all these new residents somewhere with walking distance to run around and enjoy nice days like this weekend around the lake.
    Just to highlight what you mentioned.... In the pic above, the massive crowd in the bottom right corner are standing on what was designated a non-approved viewing area, as the owner refused to allow access. Clearly, that was unenforceable with the massive crowds that attended. In addition, nearly every other empty lot in the urban center (including the ENTIRE Water Street lot) became adhoc parking lots as folks flooded in... many of them no doubt weren't authorized for parking.
    Unlike 4th of July, where numerous law enforcement personnel guide traffic in and out of the event, this crowd was FAR LARGER than I believe the city anticipated and the police had no chance of managing it. That's actually a really good thing for the city, and aside from the massive amounts of litter, this was a very peaceful, happy, and well behaved crowd.

^ Exactly! Red Bull was forced to move the spectator area off this lot (which was originally designated for spectator viewing). Obviously the owner didn't really care enough to fence off the entire lot or hire security to keep people off the lot. So it took all of 2 seconds for people to just walk right in and flood the lot. Pretty awesome! I will say that on this particular lot they were doing soil samples just days before the event. There were some large holes so perhaps that something to do with it. Police were cool all day. So relaxed, saw people walking up and down Las Colinas Blvd drinking etc... Many of the empty fields were actually designated for parking (including the Water Street lot). Good day!

I will say that on this particular lot they were doing soil samples just days before the event. There were some large holes so perhaps that something to do with it.
    I saw that as well... I've heard nothing about this lot, so that was a surprise. Curious...
    It is an excellent location... although an irregular shape.

Thread Information