Thread: Old circle theater/bingo hall Harry Hines

Urban/Street photographer SDORN's Avatar

Old circle theater/bingo hall Harry Hines

I have heard Sam Moon is buying property in the area and the theater to build a Sam Moon there. Any fact on this? I have a pix of the old theater here http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdorn/5820269500/

Funny you posted about the old circle theater I found another picture of it on another flickr account just this weekend and wondered if it was still standing. So I pulled up Google Maps and saw it sits there lonely surrounded by emtpy land. Perfect for some developer to include it into something unique. Course I imagine if Sam Moon is buying the land for one of his stores its will be leveled as fast as you can say cheap purses.

^ Agree it would be cool as part of a new mixed-use development. There's a lot of empty land surrounding the theatre, so maybe that is where Sam Moon will go (sparing the theatre)?

The other thing this site has going for it is Bachman station is just to the south and could rather easily be connected to new development with simple sidewalk upgrades. Bachman station is a valuable station since it is the last station where the Orange and Green line meet before going their separate directions. Mockingbird station is in a similar spot for the Red and Blue line. If you live near this station you could easily get to the airport or to the end of the Green line where the DCTA train starts or eventually the Cotton Belt when it connects to Downtown Carrollton. I imagine the right developer could build a successful project at this station and totally reinvigorate the mostly industrial area it sits in and be a social and entertainment draw for the Green and Orange lines much like Mockingbird station is on the east side of town.

Seriously, we have torn down WAY too many of these old theaters. No reason why they can't incorporate it into a new development.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodhobo View Post
    Seriously, we have torn down WAY too many of these old theaters. No reason why they can't incorporate it into a new development.
    Word. Almost to a man, everyone loves how those old theatres look. And while aesthetics aren't the only factor (and it's not my money), I'd certainly love to see someone work at preserving thse (and similar) "dated" buildings.

Low-Rise Member
    I saw The War Wagon with John Wayne and Kirk Douglas at the Circle Theater back in 1967.

Low-Rise Member
    It says Carnaval (that's how it's spelled on the sign) on it now...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    It says Carnaval (that's how it's spelled on the sign) on it now...
    thats right. the Carnaval sign is actually not that old. Just a few weeks ago it read Baby O. I figured management just decided to change names. I did not realize Sam Moon was buying the place, although there is a Sam Moon nearby. I dont see why the would build so close. Who knows?

Mid-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodhobo View Post
    The rents in that area will not currently support development. Not exactly an desirable area, either. Maybe affordable housing, but there hasn't been much of that lately. That and it's under a LUV appoach. Best we could hope for in hte near future is the building to get some historical designation. And it'll compete with the old texas stadium site.

I don't disagree with the Bachman station's value, someday. Maybe the city should look at at TOD/TIF district there.
    What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?
    Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets.

Low-Rise Member
    Just an updated view of this building

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthony...in/photostream

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Just an updated view of this building

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthony...in/photostream
    wow, that's very red (but looks in good shape)

Thread Information