Thread: DTD: Cadillac Apartments

DTD: Cadillac Apartments

A permanent supportive housing facility at Cadiz/Ervay is coming under fire again by the Dallas Farmers Market Friends group (who killed the last proposal). The project would restore/adapt the 2-story former auto dealership and homeless resource center into apartments with a new structure abutting the freeway in the current surface lot. This one was purposefully located far from any existing residents to (unsuccessfully) avoid controversy. It's one of a few project seeking federal tax credits.

Description (from here)
    • New construction of 164 Permanent Supportive Housing for homeless individuals
    • All units will be efficiencies with one bathroom and a kitchen
    • 10% units for households at or below 30% area median family income
    • 40% units for households at or below 50% area median family income
    • 50% units for households at or below 60% area median family income
    • Within one mile of Convention Center DART Station
    • Five story building with ground level parking
    • Ground floor leasing and management spac

Map: http://g.co/maps/ahz3x

Dallas Farmers Market supporters oppose plans for low-income housing
    By RUDOLPH BUSH Staff Writer rbush@dallasnews.com
    Published: 07 April 2012 11:13 PM
    http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...opposition.ece

Now, the two primary groups that support the market — the Friends of the Dallas Farmers Market and the Dallas Farmers Market Stakeholders Association — are fighting against a plan they say will only exacerbate problems they see as emanating from the Bridge.

But backers of a proposed 164-unit apartment complex for former Bridge residents believe it is part of the solution to Dallas’ long-term homeless problem.

The Cadillac Apartments development by downtown developer Larry Hamilton and Central Dallas Community Development Corp. chief executive John Greenan would be built at 901 S. Ervay St., four blocks west of the market and within steps of the Bridge.

Debbie Bozeman, president of the friends group, said that after much thought, her board decided it had to oppose the development, along with other low-income housing proposals near the market.

“We had to look deeply at it …We feel that it is not in keeping with the great vision of the market, the vision of downtown renewal. It just kind of goes against the grain there,” she said.

In recent weeks, the friends group has been circulating an online petition calling for opposition to the Cadillac Apartments.

Meanwhile, the stakeholders group — made up in part of business and property owners who operate outside the market — has taken a somewhat different stance.

During a public hearing Thursday night, more than 50 people stood up in opposition of the Cadillac Apartments project.

“I’ve been involved with trying to do permanent supportive housing projects a lot of places in this city. No matter what location you propose, neighbors will tell you they are in favor of this in concept, but it’s the wrong location. I’ve come to a place that no matter how good the location, you will get opposition,” he said.

Larry Hamilton, Greenan’s partner in the development and in the soon-to-open Atmos Gas Lofts downtown, said Farmers Market backers’ perceptions about the Cadillac project are simply incorrect.

“They’re fearful it’s the Bridge enlarged. What it is is getting people so they are not reliant on the Bridge,” he said.

Frank Lloyd Wright Member
    Not sure how Farmers Market gets input because building is not really in that neighborhood. I ride by that building practically every early AM on the moped. You would never know you are near FM and I have not seen any cars parked in those lots with FM customers. It is just south of City Hall, the cause of most activity there. Cedars is actually closer, though across 30 and I do not think the CNA was asked for input. Since they do not own property, impact to land value cannot be an issue. If Hamilton is willing to risk impact to Aloft, closer than FM, Council may okay. FM group may have overreached on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by mjblazin View Post
    Not sure how Farmers Market gets input because building is not really in that neighborhood. I ride by that building practically every early AM on the moped. You would never know you are near FM and I have not seen any cars parked in those lots with FM customers. It is just south of City Hall, the cause of most activity there. Cedars is actually closer, though across 30 and I do not think the CNA was asked for input. Since they do not own property, impact to land value cannot be an issue. If Hamilton is willing to risk impact to Aloft, closer than FM, Council may okay. FM group may have overreached on this one.
    Good points. The Downtown Residents Council (which includes all of the CBD) supports this project. The Farmers Market group (which oversees their neighborhood within the CBD) seems to stir up controversy even when it's not in their district. Both of the projects in question are actually in the Civic Center District.

Thread Information