Thread: Jack Kilby Memorial/Square/Statue?

Jack Kilby Memorial/Square/Statue?

It occured to me last night that cities all over the world honor the people from their area who have made incredible accomplishments through plazas, statues, or parks.

One of the greatest achievements of the modern world occured in Dallas and we do not honor the inventor at all! Without his breakthrough, all of our computers and electronics would not exist.

It would not surprise me that most people in Dallas have never heard of Jack Kilby.

http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/kilbyctr/jackstclair.shtml

Jack Kilby
    There are few men whose insights and professional accomplishments have changed the world. Jack Kilby was one of these men. His invention of the monolithic integrated circuit - the microchip - laid the conceptual and technical foundation for the entire field of modern microelectronics. From Jack Kilby's first simple circuit has grown a worldwide integrated circuit market whose sales in 2007 totaled $219 billion.

About Jack

Jack Kilby grew up in Great Bend, Kansas and joined TI in Dallas in 1958. During the summer of that year, working with borrowed and improvised equipment, he conceived and built the first electronic circuit in which all of the components, both active and passive, were fabricated in a single piece of semiconductor material half the size of a paper clip.

The Chip that Jack Built
    It was a relatively simple device that Jack Kilby showed to a handful of co-workers gathered in TI's semiconductor lab 50 years ago -- only a transistor and other components on a slice of germanium. Little did this group of onlookers know that Kilby's invention was about to revolutionize the electronics industry.

What If He Had Gone on Vacation
    "As a new employee, I had no vacation time coming and was left alone to ponder the results of the IF amplifier exercise. The cost analysis gave me my first insight into the cost structure of a semiconductor house."

]Nobel Prize
    Jack Kilby received the Nobel Prize in Physics on December 10, 2000 for his part in the invention of the integrated circuit. To congratulate him, U.S. President Bill Clinton wrote, "You can take pride in the knowledge that your work will help to improve lives for generations to come."

What am I suggesting?

I don't know exactly. A plaza? A statue of Jack Kilby? A statue of an integrated circuit?

I think that tourists to Dallas would love to visit something that honors this man. Something that makes more sense that a Plaza full of bronze steers.

This man is an asset that any city in the world would love to claim. I think it is about time that Dallas does just that.

That was very insightful. I agree. He needs a plaza with a statue, something special to say "we know who you are, and thank you for what you did."
    Go Mavs
    Go Cowboys
    Go Stars
    Go FC Dallas

DTID

Skyscraper Member
    great thread... who else needs a statue?

Dirk?
    Laura miller?

Mid-Rise Member
    a square with a statue in the middle

LBJ/Central Station does a bit of a nod to the chip/circuit card and the like.

Anyway, this is not a bad idea at all.

Thank you for the post. It would be awesome to see something done. Considering also how TI is still a leader in the tech world.

It's a good idea. There are lots of parks and plazas in the city that could host things like this. Instead of an abstract sculpture, why not honor the history of a person who contributed to the city's success?

Frank Lloyd Wright Member
    Doesn't Fair Park have big busts of these guys near the IMAX theater? That s why it is called TI Founders.

Maybe they can rename the purple party in his honor.
    Dallas uber alles

They could name the plaza area under the High 5 for him, have a statue face TI from the Cottonwood Trail

All that sits there now is a small concrete plaza area, the boulder above, with the High Five Plaque on it. Maybe a bench too.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperITL View Post
    They could name the plaza area under the High 5 for him, have a statue face TI from the Cottonwood Trail
    Where is the plaza? And how does one access it?

Quote Originally Posted by profbarium View Post
    Where is the plaza? And how does one access it?
    It sits here:

http://g.co/maps/q5fbv

At 1:04 in this video, off to the right(west) among the trees.

The NE corner of the High 5, that faces TI. I guess the closest place to park would be at Hamilton Park's Park, if that makes sense. Or ride a bike. Or skateboard.

If I recall Kilby's office was a little further to the north on the other side of the SC building.

Seems like a good spot, I guess. One that won't be bulldozed in the near future and is in a public place. TI has kind of gone all Homeland Security with access to their corporate campus so building one inside the grounds would be pointless. Last time I was at the Smithsonian, they have Kilby's semiconductor and some other TI stuff in the same room with some of the first computers like a UNIVAC, the first Apple, the first IBM PC. In Austin at the Bullock state history museum they have one of Kilby's early semiconductors too.

Skyscraper Member
    ^Oh, OK. I think I know where that is now. Thanks for the video too!

That probably would be a good place for a Kilby statue. Given the proximity to the company itself and the "what else are you going to put there?" factor, it's hard to beat.

My biggest issue: would people know it was there? And if they didn't, how much "stumble upon" traffic would it get? Considering his "importance-to-fame" ratio, I'd like to see a statue put in some place highly visible, with a lot of walk-through traffic. Downtown? A major DART rail station? The food court at the Galleria?

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhops View Post
    great thread... who else needs a statue?

Dirk?
    I'd have to think that's a near certainty. At the very least, Cuban will put one in his front yard. But I'd be shocked--shocked!--if there wasn't one at/near the AAC. I also wouldn't be surprised to see one of the spare "streets" around the arena named after him too.

Laura miller?
    You're cute.

Quote Originally Posted by profbarium View Post

My biggest issue: would people know it was there? And if they didn't, how much "stumble upon" traffic would it get? Considering his "importance-to-fame" ratio, I'd like to see a statue put in some place highly visible, with a lot of walk-through traffic. Downtown? A major DART rail station? The food court at the Galleria?
    After more thought, I think a round-a-bout on a major thoroughfare with a fountain and a sculpture/statue (something new and original) in the middle would be amazing and very visible. Maybe on the new Riverfront Blvd.?

Mid-Rise Member
    unfortunately jack kilby wasn't of hispanic (cesar chavez) or african (malcom x) descent so I doubt he'll get anything honoring him

Mile-High Skyscraper Member rantanamo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientshoes View Post
    unfortunately jack kilby wasn't of hispanic (cesar chavez) or african (malcom x) descent so I doubt he'll get anything honoring him
    [Keyshawn]come on man[/Keyshawn]

Skyscraper Member
    Mark Cuban should get a statue for inventing radio on the interweb.

Frank Lloyd Wright Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhops
    Mark Cuban should get a statue for inventing radio on the interweb.
    He should get a statue for dumping his company on Yahoo stockholders for billions two years before it would lose relevance. Other acquisitions by Yahoo and deals with AT&T and CBS within a year made Broadcast.com unnecessary. Since the check cleared big time, it did not matter.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjblazin View Post
    He should get a statue for dumping his company on Yahoo stockholders for billions two years before it would lose relevance. Other acquisitions by Yahoo and deals with AT&T and CBS within a year made Broadcast.com unnecessary. Since the check cleared big time, it did not matter.
    LOL exactly. THat's worthy of a statue, no?

Thread Information