Thread: Is Renaissance Tower going LED?

Uptown - McKinney Ave

D-Down Is Renaissance Tower going LED?

Sorry for the terrible zoomed iPhone photo but unless I am having a stroke, there is some weird lighting phenomenon, or colored filters Renaissance Tower's crown thing took on a much more distinctively purple/blue-ish color tonight.

Are we in a lighting war?

Skyscraper Member ChampionDallas's Avatar
    Hopefully this means an upgrade. This will be great!

Yes, I think the lighting war has begun!

I see the new lighting on WFAA'S tower cam

http://www.wfaa.com/weather/cameras?...8332&img=0&c=y

It's blue for sure.

Autism Awareness Day today (lighting things up blue, blue, and more blue). Although, I didn't realize Ren. Tower had those capabilities. Very interesting.

Uptown - McKinney Ave
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
    Yes, I think the lighting war has begun!

I see the new lighting on WFAA'S tower cam

http://www.wfaa.com/weather/cameras?...8332&img=0&c=y
    Um, maybe this is camera artifacts or reflections because I am on the complete other side but is anyone seeing in the WFAA came what I am seeing?

Skyscraper Member
    Definitely bluer than usual tonight. I noticed just after dark while running around Exall Park.

The Omini is also all blue (and wonderfully static). Reunion tower is blue, but not static. I noticed Reunion was blue around 2AM this morning -- I guess they were testing.

Wouldn't it be awesome if instead of Renaissance's X pattern just being lit, the lights raced up and down it, and did their own synchronized pattern in the X?
    Cider is an amazing addition to the bars of America but it gives me the worst hangovers......

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    Wouldn't it be awesome if instead of Renaissance's X pattern just being lit, the lights raced up and down it, and did their own synchronized pattern in the X?
    Please no, lets try not to have a schizophrenic skyline of blinky animated flashy lights in every color. I will say I have enjoyed the Omni's new light shows as of late. They seemed to have calm down from trying to do complicated pictures and or logos and have instead focused on more abstract visuals that are more artful and look better when various LED sections stop working.

The X pattern is definitely looks like its lit in different colors on the WFAA cam. I like the blue crown though...I'm wondering if that will have the capabilities to change color as well.

I did see the testing of Reunion Tower with the blue LEDs and have to say that I like it. About a month ago, I noticed that they had changed out the bulbs...they were distinctively more yellow than usual and I was wondering if they would have different colors as well.

fyi...found this pic of the Reunion tower undergoing testing with the new lights....

Metropolist-in-the-making jrd1964's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CTroyMathis View Post
    Autism Awareness Day today (lighting things up blue, blue, and more blue). Although, I didn't realize Ren. Tower had those capabilities. Very interesting.
    I didn't know it was Autism Awareness day till I heard something on the news. I think it was Ch. 4; they showed the skyline, including Renaissance Tower.

Super Moderator
    Before LED lighting, you could just change the lens cover on a light fixture. Renaissance tower could have installed LED lighiting or they could have simply used lens covers.

Quote Originally Posted by slfunk View Post
    Before LED lighting, you could just change the lens cover on a light fixture. Renaissance tower could have installed LED lighiting or they could have simply used lens covers.
    Particularly since the LED lights that Chase Tower is using are a deep blue light while the lights on Renaissance Tower are a whiter washed out blue which suggest simply a old light filter.

Low-Rise Member
    It was blue last night. i saw it from my window. I have never seen it blue before. Reunion tower was also bright blue solid all night.

Uptown - McKinney Ave
    If they didn't go LED I hope they keep the blue, it looks really good.

Skyscraper Member ChampionDallas's Avatar
    I'm betting that they were lens covers. I bet that LEDs would be too much of a "unnecessary" expenditure, although I would like to see the upgrade take place.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd1964 View Post
    I didn't know it was Autism Awareness day till I heard something on the news. I think it was Ch. 4; they showed the skyline, including Renaissance Tower.
    The lights are still blue. I think it's permanent

Low-Rise Member
    Okay so the blue changed to purple last week and tonight the main tower is Green... anyone have an explanation??photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Mid-Rise Member
    Maybe for Christmas?

I noticed it the other day as well and thought it might be for Pancreatic Cancer Month or some such. Not really sure that is the case for this particular lighting scheme, though. Autism Day and Law Enforcement Commemoration Week had more participation (blue lighting).

Regardless, looks good.

Uptown - McKinney Ave
    Quote Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
    Maybe for Christmas?
    From a distance it looks remarkably like a Christmas tree, when I came home tonight I thought they strung lights up to form a fake tree but my trusty binoculars showed it it was just lighting which is kind of neat too.

So, went back and forth with the property manager and she said they were aiming for red and green initially. Now they are going with green and white for the holidays with a possible return to blue afterwards. They started thinking about new combinations after the whole going blue many months back. They are indeed lens covers and there will probably be other combinations in the future. . .

Thread Information