Thread: Unbuilt Dallas

CTroyMathis

Rendering of unbuilt RepublicBank Centre

From 15-yr old Architectural Record Magazine.

CTroyMathis

Unbuilt Downtown Portman Project

A sense of déjà vu downtown
    04/05/2002

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

The proposal was controversial from the day it was announced.

An out-of-town developer asked the Dallas City Council to provide incentives for a major downtown project.

If the city agreed, the developer would build shops, hotel space and offices designed to bring people to the city's core. But the developer needed the city to provide a multimillion-dollar incentive package that would be repaid by taxes generated from the new development.

Sound familiar?

It should. But it's not the current Victory proposal.

This happened 24 years ago on Main Street.

And after months of wrangling and in-depth studies, the City Council was unanimous in its decision: No, thanks.

John Portman, the flamboyant Atlanta developer and architect who proposed the project, thought he had a deal Dallas couldn't refuse. Portman Properties would build a $140 million, multi-use complex connecting downtown's Neiman Marcus store with the historic Magnolia building.

The development was designed to give Dallas' downtown a kick in the pants and included a 51-story office and hotel tower, 900 hotel rooms and a four-story shopping mall anchored by Neiman Marcus.

Mr. Portman – who had already reshaped central business districts in Atlanta and San Francisco – argued that Dallas "needed something important happening in the central city to give it a focal point."

City leaders were receptive to the notion until they were presented with the bill – $22 million to condemn and purchase the land and build underground parking and truck docks.

Council members then expressed their "outrage" over the plan and said it was a gamble the city didn't need to take.

Mr. Portman didn't hang around to argue the point.

All these years later, few business leaders or city officials remember the Portman plan for Main Street.

As it turned out, it's probably best for downtown that the development didn't happen.

Big enclosed shopping malls are now passé in many urban locations.

Shoppers and tourists want the kind of "streetscape" provided by the old downtown buildings that would have been knocked down for the mall.

If Portman Properties had built its mall on Main Street, the city would probably now be wrestling with what to do with a white elephant.

Mile-High Skyscraper Member rantanamo's Avatar

Oh, what could have been!

I really like that picture. That could have been so awesome. However, I think over the next couple of years the Cityplace development will mature and become something we all enjoy.
    “We shape our Cities, thereafter they shape us.”

Skyscraper Member
    Yeah, you know, in fact I almost think the new Development will be better for Dallas and certainly more enjoyable for the individual to walk around in... just a matter of time. I do wish we could get another signature tower up there, though...

Um...

WOW, finally a better rendering/model of the project online.

Damn, to think I saved newspaper clippings since the 80s that were nowhere as good as that...

Finally a better visual of one of the more massive 'unbuilt' projects in Dallas. Hmm, that canopy of glass on top...

Oh yeah,...

Rantanamo - incredible find!

Mile-High Skyscraper Member rantanamo's Avatar

Well, shi*. I'll be damned.

Oh, and those u/c shots do rock.

Two more unbuilts...

...or just seemingly permanently shelved.

?

I wasn't aware of these non-descript-yet-notable buildings, but, maybe someone else was:

http://www.rofdw.com/office_gallery_final.htm

This 35-story office building represented the first building of a 20-acre development proposed for downtown
    Dallas. The building features a large floor plate plus an attached above grade 6.5 level parking garage which proved to be an economical concept.

This five-story office building with exterior balconies provides an unsurpassed view of downtown Dallas. Utilizing glass fibre reinforced concrete (GFRC) skin, lush landscaping, and 3.5
    levels of underground parking, this project has provided long term value. 12-story Phase II (unbuilt) is shown.

Mid-Rise Member
    bottom one actually looks very familiar.

Perpetual Amateur
    I imagine you already have this one, but it looks to me to be on the opposite side of the Meyerson from the Lone Star project, which is all I have ever heard about or seen renderings of from that little patch of downtown. This pic didn't ring any immediate bells, and it's a neat 50-storey rendering to see turning a Manhattan podium face right there onto Woodall Rogers, so I thought I'd link it just in case...
    Thanks for so frequently informing and cheering this once and future urban Dallasite (despite my failure to post here more than five times in the past five years)

Supertall Skyscraper Member NThomas's Avatar
    could you post again Emposis has an ok pic

-
    I can't see the pic.

wow, this thread got dug up from the grave...although I am interested to see this picture now

GEEEEZ - Cant believe how old this thread is!!! 5 years and counting!!!!!
    Yes, id like to see this rendering too.

Low-Rise Member
    Yap, maybe it is a different prospective view we haven't seen. I I I I I I I I I I can't see it!!!!!

It reappears.

(Not even remotely going to live up to all that built-up hype, though.) ; )

Some guy
    Wow that would have been awesome.

Freelance urban aesthete
    A very dignified & graceful design. It's a shame Republic merged with InterFirst (and subsequently collapsed) before this could be constructed.

Some guy
    What are the legalities of someone taking the same design and building what could have been?

man... that would be gorgeous... it reminds me of a modern day detroit book tower...

It looks like a typical Atlanta tower.
    By the power of greyskull!

Freelance urban aesthete
    Had this been erected as planned, it would have pre-dated most of the post-modern/neoclassical skyscrapers constructed in Atlanta, the majority of which opened post-1987 (starting with IBM/One Atlantic Centre)

In my opinion, those "po mo" towers lend a rather fanciful, romantic and gracious feel to Atlanta's skyline (especially the Midtown area)...Dallas could use more buildings like that and less of the jagged/serrated/notched box variety.

Unbuilt Dallas

I thought there was an existing thread but couldn't find anything. Anyway, I thought these Frank Gehry designed buildings for Turtle Creek were interesting.

1985 - The Turtle Creek Development, Dallas, TX. Unbuilt. Mixed-use complex with 3 towers, 8 townhouses, with 4 levels of parking underground. An oval, glass-skinned office building plus another gridded office tower and a similar residential condominium building stacked atop a 100-room hotel.

Those are interesting, thanks. I like to think the Pelli archi-dealio in LoMac (and Museum Tower) are the firsts the many interesting buildings all over town.

An interesting article about Pacific Place. Would love to see the renderings of the other options...

http://infoweb.newsbank.com/iw-searc...&&p_multi=DMNB

Taylor-Hewlett and HOK have designed a 56-story stone and glass tower with a sharply peaked roof for the Ross Avenue site, which is located across the street from the new Allied Bank Tower .

The 1.4 million-square-foot office tower that won Pacific Realty's competition is designed with an exterior of blue Swedish granite, cobalt blue mirrored glass and stainless steel trim. If constructed as planned, the skyscraper would be the first downtown tower to use recently developed blue reflective glass.

The building design calls for a high-rise parking garage with ground-floor retail space, which the developers plan to start before the office tower -- probably later this year.

"We didn't give the architects a lot of restrictions,' said Richard Cavenaugh, Pacific Realty executive vice president. "We wanted to build as high as we could on the site, and we wanted a landmark, quality building.

What Pacific Realty got were four drastically different design proposals.

"Initially, you think the flashiest design will be the one to win,' Cavenaugh said. "But what it came down to was the building that said the most and still had the best leasing qualifications.'

Besides Taylor-Hewlett/HOK's winning design entry, conceptual plans for Pacific's proposed downtown skyscraper were presented by Chicago architects FCL and Associates Inc., Dallas architect Sinclair Hui and Dallas' Shepherd+Boyd U.S.A. Inc.

FCL's design proposal called for a Chicago-style tower with exterior X-bracing and a rectangular form. The twist on a familiar skyscraper style was the proposed building's skin: pink aluminium and reflective glass panels.

Shepherd+Boyd came up with one of the most intricate designs submitted. The 53-story building was to have been surfaced in red and white masonry, with a metal and glass "flying saucer' balanced on the roof. The architect described the combination of historical and modern skyscraper elements as "putting the past and present together in an unexpected and unconventional kind of architectural assemblege.'

Architect Sinclair Hui came up with only pure nouveau-classical tower -- an eight-sided shaft with a pointed top and arches along the base. The building's glass crown would be illuminated at night.

"Taylor-Hewlett and HOK's design, barring a few considerations here and there, met most of the needs we were searching for,' Cavenaugh said. "Frankly, it came very close between the

Taylor-Hewlett/HOK design and Shepherd+Boyd's plan.'
    pacificplacecenterctm002unbuil.jpg

Skyscraper Member ChampionDallas's Avatar
    Similar to 100 North Tampa:

852331-Large.jpg

This was already posted on the Fair Park thread, but thought it appropriate to add here as well.

0FF7D1833154184B.gif

Now that the Great Recession is looking more like a thing of the past, I've been thinking about developments that were put on hold and have some type of chance of being resurrected. The first example of a pre-recession project coming back is the Stoneleigh Condos, which should be opening very soon. Here are some others that come to mind and their chances:

-Victory Tower: No chance of resuming construction in the near future; however, BOKA Powell has designed an alternate location for the Mandarin Oriental at Victory Park. This blank-slate tower has a better chance.
    -St. Regis Hotel: No chance of resuming the previous plans since the site is now slated to be a 299-ft residential building by JLB. A new location in Uptown would be feasible.
    -Savannah College of Art and Design West End Campus: No reason why this project could not pick back up.
    -Four Seasons NorthPark: No clue if this is still a possibility but the recent buyout of an equity partner for “strategic reasons” seems like a good sign.
    -Hard Rock Cafe Site: The previous developer wanted to build a "Vegas-style resort". It did not materialize, but considering the value of this property, something should be happening in the near future.

What else? Thoughts?

Skyscraper Member ChampionDallas's Avatar
    1900 Pacific Avenue was beautiful, but fell off the radar.
    2500 McKinney Avenue was replaced by a Whole Foods.
    Unnamed Turtle Creek residential tower.

Proposed: Harwood's new Frost Bank Tower, Two Victory Park, and others in the Harwood district.
    The Spire, Two Arts Plaza, and of course the 1040' planned 2121 Flora.
    Last edited by ChampionDallas; 04 April 2013 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionDallas View Post
    2500 McKinney Avenue was replaced by a Whole Foods.
    Unnamed Turtle Creek residential tower.

Proposed: Harwood's new Frost Bank Tower, Two Victory Park, and others in the Harwood district.
    The Spire, Two Arts Plaza, and of course the 1040' planned 2121 Flora.
    Frost Bank Tower is still happening it doesn't start until early summer. Spring has just begun so I wouldn't count it out yet since we have't seen them miss their initial start date yet. I would start calling it canceled if we don't here from them by the end of the year. Two Arts will one day but today just isn't that day.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyeagle05 View Post
    Frost Bank Tower is still happening it doesn't start until early summer. Spring has just begun so I wouldn't count it out yet since we have't seen them miss their initial start date yet. I would start calling it canceled if we don't here from them by the end of the year. Two Arts will one day but today just isn't that day.
    Is there any reason for skepticism about the Frost Bank building? I thought that one was pretty much for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by green country View Post

Is there any reason for skepticism about the Frost Bank building? I thought that one was pretty much for certain.
    No that's why I posted my comment I'm not sure why Champion suspected that it wasn't being built. The news stories when it was announced back on Nov 6 2012 said Frost bank tower would break ground in early summer 2013 which we haven't even reached yet.

Here's a good one: Trump Tower Dallas

In 2006, Donald Trump was in town and said he would visit the site of his proposed tower.

"The land that we'll purchase will be terrific, if we decide to do this."
    Asked to describe the site's location, Trump said: "I'd rather not. Because otherwise, it won't be available for purchase for very long."
    http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/st...3/daily47.html

As for its chances of returning, probably zero.
    Last edited by lakewoodhobo; 06 April 2013 at 07:58 PM.

Skyscraper Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodhobo View Post
    Here's a good one: Trump Tower Dallas

In 2006, Donald Trump was in town and said he would visit the site of his proposed tower.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/st...3/daily47.html

As for its chances of returning, probably zero.
    Approximately the same as the chances of it occurring back then. Trump was marketing himself on that visit (as he always is) and the Dallas reporters were just begging him to tell them he was planning a Trump Tower. He knew the tease would get him press.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionDallas View Post
    Yes since 1900 Pacific will now be a renovation, there's no chance for this one. But there's no reason why the same 50-story tower could not be built anywhere else downtown with similar height restrictions.

Another interesting project, Sky Lofts on Leonard, which died around the same time as the Butler Brothers renovation (I believe the two were connected somehow). Since Butler has come back to life and Plaza of the Americas is getting some renovations, maybe it's time to revisit this one.
    Last edited by lakewoodhobo; 08 April 2013 at 01:58 PM.

Yes since 1900 Pacific will now be a renovation, there's no chance for this one. But there's no reason why the same 50-story tower could not be built anywhere else downtown with similar height restrictions.

Another interesting project, Sky Lofts on Leonard, which died around the same time as the Butler Brothers renovation (I believe the two were connected somehow). Since Butler has come back to life and Plaza of the Americas is getting some renovations, maybe it's time to revisit this one.
    There's actually other plans for the top of that parking structure that are likely to kick off in the next few months... But, it's far less sexy than a residential tower.

Here's another one that has a chance post-recession, especially with the Perot Museum doing so well:

Akard Place

^I really liked the skywalks with that one!
    The mediator between the head and the hands must be the heart.

That one would sell quick. That location is prime.

Downtown Dallas corner was once the site of lofty plans for a 100-story skyscraper
    By Steve Brown
    6:00 am on August 2, 2013
    http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...yscraper.html/

I don’t think anyone really expected developer J.L. Williams to build a 100-story building in downtown Dallas.

But gosh, we were all hoping he would.

It happened back in the go-go days of the 1980s Texas real estate boom.

Every day it seemed there was a grand plan announced for another skyscraper in downtown Dallas. Nothing was considered impossible.

So when successful industrial and office developer Williams bought the vacant corner of Woodall Rodgers Freeway and Field Street in 1984, everyone was eager to hear his plans for the property.

Skyscraper Member
    That tower is gorgeous!

That really is awesome looking

such a shame! that would have been the dallas building instead of the boa tower... imo

^Only if it was clad in crazy lighting!
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

Facebook

This drawing appeared in a recent DMN story about archivists at the central library.

Published February 25, 1975 with this story: FIRST CLASS HOUSING BACKED FOR CITY – If downtown housing is to work in Dallas, it will have to be first class. And it can’t develop in a vacuum. // Published caption: Both low-density and high-density “prototypes” for downtown housing call for enclosed courtyards and shopping within the development.
    That could be I-345 in the upper-left corner, making this proposed development somewhere around the Arts District.

That is interesting, is there a layout/rendering somewhere of the proposed Quadrangle area that went unfinished?

This drawing appeared in a recent DMN story about archivists at the central library.

That could be I-345 in the upper-left corner, making this proposed development somewhere around the Arts District.
    Yeah; that's Woodall Rodgers in the foreground, so it's probably along Routh where Booker T is today.

Thread Information