Thread: Nice, France...some kind of Dallas obsession?

High-Rise Member

Nice, France...some kind of Dallas obsession?

I found these signs around Nice, France...thought it was odd.

http://imageshack.us/f/339/dallasinnice.jpg/

Skyscraper Member
    Last year I was doing a training run through the narrow walkways in a residential section of Venice, and came across a Dallas Mavs jersey drying on a clothesline stretched across the way between a couple second story windows. I so wish I had a camera with me.

High-Rise Member homeworld1031tx's Avatar
    Probably a relic of the tv show

Texas Insrtruments has had a presence in the area since the late 60's. It started out as a manufacturing plant/ wafer fab and is now an Engineering Site. Dallas is familiar to many in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddinHead View Post
    Texas Insrtruments has had a presence in the area since the late 60's. It started out as a manufacturing plant/ wafer fab and is now an Engineering Site. Dallas is familiar to many in the area.
    All of my fellow-French-citizen-friends working at TI have been working in Nice before coming to Dallas.

Probably a relic of the tv show
    The TV show is still very present in French's minds, and it's the first cliché people are thinking about when thinking about Dallas. It's definitely because the show has a stupid opening song in the French version.

Low-Rise Member
    Somewhat related...the absolutely wonderful town of Kilkenny, Republic of Ireland

http://g.co/maps/mqfcx

We did not stop in while we visited. In regards to the above mentions to the TV show, I can attest that the proprietors of well over half of the B&B's we stayed at in the Republic and in Northern Ireland asked us in one form or another how JR was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter
    Somewhat related...the absolutely wonderful town of Kilkenny, Republic of Ireland

http://g.co/maps/mqfcx

We did not stop in while we visited. In regards to the above mentions to the TV show, I can attest that the proprietors of well over half of the B&B's we stayed at in the Republic and in Northern Ireland asked us in one form or another how JR was doing.
    Well now all you have to tell them is to check out the Dallas Facebook page JR posts there several times a day now with family photos stories and even other personal info dating all the way back well into the 80's. It's pretty interesting to see their marketing team use the Facebook Timeline feature to create a unified story line and fill in the gaps of what he has been doing since the show went off the air so many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Julien View Post
    All of my fellow-French-citizen-friends working at TI have been working in Nice before coming to Dallas.
    That's what brought me from Nice to Dallas... Step-father was a TI'er...

So, how is the French community in Dallas? Is the born-in-France population big enough and concentrated enough to really be be considered a cohesive community?

Quote Originally Posted by tamtagon View Post
    So, how is the French community in Dallas? Is the born-in-France population big enough and concentrated enough to really be be considered a cohesive community?
    I have met French people, on different places in Dallas, mainly on McKinney avenue's bars and nightclub. They are 25-35yo working in Grand Prairie for Safran and Sagem Avionics, others are working in Dallas for Essilor, TI, Air Liquide and Baylor(where I work). I have also met older people working for different companies throughout the metroplex.

The younger crowd is really cohesive... at partying!!

The Alliance Francaise, recently organized with SMU a French movie festival. They will organize the 14th of July, French independance day or Bastille Day in Bishop Arts. I even played a petanque tournament once at Winfrey Point.

Not France, but I have seen a Dallas themed dance club in Monterrey, Mexico. Over the door they had a neon outline of our skyline. I wish I had taken a picture, as I'm not sure I will ever be able to find it again.

Funny because I've always wondered if French people see some of the architecture in Uptown and ask if there's a Dallas fascination with France.

Thread Information