Thread: Here Comes High-Mast Lighting on South R.L. Thornton Freeway (I-35E)

TXDOT Here Comes High-Mast Lighting on South R.L. Thornton Freeway (I-35E)

It looks like high-mast lighting is coming to South R.L.Thornton Freeway(I-35E) in Oak Cliff. The project will began in April 2012, replacing the 1960's conventional lights. The project length will run from Marsalis Avenue to Ledbetter Dr.(Loop 12). The project may be extended to I-20. This project was needed due to light outages on the aging thoroughfare. For more information, contact the TXDOT Dallas office.

Metropolist-in-the-making
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTXOne View Post
    It looks like high-mast lighting is coming to South R.L.Thornton Freeway(I-35E) in Oak Cliff. The project will began in April 2012, replacing the 1960's conventional lights. The project length will run from Marsalis Avenue to Ledbetter Dr.(Loop 12). The project may be extended to I-20.
    I wondered how long it would be before another local freeway would get the high-mast replacement lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by KSTXOne
    This project was needed due to light outages on the aging thoroughfare.
    Now, how long will it be before the copper-pilferers figure out the ins/outs of the new lights? :-(

Deck park proposal for southern gateway

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Oak...345465232.html

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Oooh, that'd be cool! I may be misinterpreting the scale, but that seems larger/longer than KWP.

High-Rise Member
    That would be cool, however, I feel like there are better places to put a deck park at this point in time. For instance, something connecting Expo Park and Fair Park would be great, or perhaps something that connects Uptown to the east side of 75 better (maybe a West Village/Cityplace deck park?).

I'm not too familiar with that part of Oak Cliff, but on the plus side, it could give Oak Cliff more convenient access to the DART rail.

Quote Originally Posted by dpatel304 View Post
    That would be cool, however, I feel like there are better places to put a deck park at this point in time. For instance, something connecting Expo Park and Fair Park would be great, or perhaps something that connects Uptown to the east side of 75 better (maybe a West Village/Cityplace deck park?). I'm not too familiar with that part of Oak Cliff, but on the plus side, it could give Oak Cliff more convenient access to the DART rail.
    The problem with your plan is this proposal is a part of the larger Southern Gateway highway project currently in public meetings and design phase. The neighborhoods around the Southern Gateway have been wising up and have been fighting what the highway department wants to do down there. They want to build in more toll lanes to "alleviate" traffic as part of the redo. The neighborhood is poorer and so they realize they won't be able to use them so they are fighting making the highway bigger and less accessible to the people who live there. So to try to pacify southern leaders they are starting to at least talk about doing what some leaders have been demanding down there.

Those other deck park locations you speak of would need to be done with other larger highway redo projects in most cases. The Southern Gateway is already a project in action. Keeping in mind they don't actually have the money to build this deck project it's just a fantasy told to slow down a rebellion.
    "Don't make the mountain your enemy
    Get out, get up there instead" - Various Storms & Saints.Florence and the Machine

High-Rise Member
    I see, I wasn't aware of a larger project already moving forward. In that case, this proposal does make sense.

Sorry to go back to this but I'm still wondering how Downtown Carrollton got smacked with that giant overpass project and not a mouse squeaked... it's all water under the bridge at this point tho.

And this sounds great for the Zoo area.
    The unholy offspring of lightning and Death itself.

Quote Originally Posted by art_suckz View Post
    Sorry to go back to this but I'm still wondering how Downtown Carrollton got smacked with that giant overpass project and not a mouse squeaked... it's all water under the bridge at this point tho.

And this sounds great for the Zoo area.
    That is ugly but there may be a perfectly logical reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyeagle05 View Post
    The problem with your plan is this proposal is a part of the larger Southern Gateway highway project currently in public meetings and design phase. The neighborhoods around the Southern Gateway have been wising up and have been fighting what the highway department wants to do down there. They want to build in more toll lanes to "alleviate" traffic as part of the redo. The neighborhood is poorer and so they realize they won't be able to use them so they are fighting making the highway bigger and less accessible to the people who live there. So to try to pacify southern leaders they are starting to at least talk about doing what some leaders have been demanding down there.

Those other deck park locations you speak of would need to be done with other larger highway redo projects in most cases. The Southern Gateway is already a project in action. Keeping in mind they don't actually have the money to build this deck project it's just a fantasy told to slow down a rebellion.
    No offence, but there are many inaccurate things with this post.

At this point Oak Cliff would have tolerated the tolls, the real problem was the sheer size of the highway itself and the cheap/poor design. The old design would have used too much ROW. Oak Cliff is already close to downtown, so they were not too keen losing their ROW for something that primarily benefitted the suburbs. Either way, it is no longer planned to be built with tolls due to Prop 7 money being used for the project.

They don't have the money to build the deck park you say? At that meeting last Tuesday, TxDot confirmed that the design changes currently being worked on are accounting for a future deck park. It is outside of their scope to build the park with those funds but they can design the freeway so that it doesn't interfere with construction as well as doing some foundational work. That makes it much cheaper and easier to construct the deck park compared to Klyde Warren. As for the main structure of the park itself, NCTCOG and the City of Dallas will work together to come up with the remaining funding (along with private donations).

Btw, the main group that has been pushing for changes in the design have already helped to delay the project by nearly 2 years. If you think I'm kidding about any of this, wait until January and see the design changes for yourself and compare them with previous designs.

^ welcome to the Forum gamarabi. Hopefully this widening and modernization doesn't turn out to be a wide concrete ribbon with hardly and vegetation like LBJ. Is you group pushing for that since Oak Cliff is one of the greenest, prettiest areas of Dallas. I'd hate to think this would be a concrete trough down South Dallas. Also, how far down does the widening extend to? I-20?

Quote Originally Posted by noelamador View Post
    ^ welcome to the Forum gamarabi. Hopefully this widening and modernization doesn't turn out to be a wide concrete ribbon with hardly and vegetation like LBJ. Is you group pushing for that since Oak Cliff is one of the greenest, prettiest areas of Dallas. I'd hate to think this would be a concrete trough down South Dallas. Also, how far down does the widening extend to? I-20?
    Thanks for the welcome! I haven't felt a need to say something until now.

North of Kiest Boulevard is where they are looking at doing a model similar to Central Expressway with the main goals being minimizing disruptions to neighbors, minimizing ROW, improving local connectivity, and providing a more aesthetically pleasing design. Drainage issues are the main concern that may cause trouble with that design. TxDot is focusing on this first since this section is the most expensive as well as the first section to be built. The scope of the entire project goes from 8th street all the way to I-20 and on US-67 goes all the way south to FM-1382. Current designs south of the split are working to minimize impact to vegetation, although the suburbs seem to be more concerned with capacity than green space.

^eek! I hope they don't US 75 it. Then we'll end up with dead vegetation that gets pulled out and a concrete canyon in faded brown concrete. Please push for climate appropriate vegetation.

Thread Information