Thread: Sopa

Low-Rise Member

Sopa

Cute that you made the background black, but you miss the point if you don't have the balls to actually shut the forum down.

^For one day, some people want to stop talking about the government stopping talk, and on that same day, some people want to talk about it.

I did change my forum avatar, in protest of SOPA and PIPA antipiracy bills. It looks like those ginormous web entities with the balls to shut down for a day have had at least a little success:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...-congress.html

Three co-sponsors of the SOPA and PIPA antipiracy bills have publicly withdrawn their support as Wikipedia and thousands of other websites blacked out their pages Wednesday to protest the legislation.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) withdrew as a co-sponsor of the Protect IP Act in the Senate, while Reps. Lee Terry (R-Neb.) and Ben Quayle (R-Ariz.) said they were pulling their names from the companion House bill, the Stop Online Piracy Act. Opponents of the legislation, led by large Internet companies, say its broad definitions could lead to censorship of online content and force some websites to shut down.

In a posting on his Facebook page, Rubio noted that after the Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously passed its bill last year, he has "heard legitimate concerns about the impact the bill could have on access to the Internet and about a potentially unreasonable expansion of the federal government's power to impact the Internet."

Yeah I don't agree that the thing to do is shut the forum down completely. I think we do the cause one better by starting the conversation about how this site could theoretically be shut down in a post SOPA-PIPA internet law passing by congress because maybe a local news media company decides we post too many of their stories here and wants this site added to a blacklist for breaking copyright. How else are we supposed to discuss SOPA and PIPA if we shut the site down completely. Although It would be nice to see a link across the top of the page pointing users to one of the many SOPA-PIPA educational sites to go along with the black coloring.

http://americancensorship.org/

Low-Rise Member
    Yes, thankfully the forum was open on the blackout day. Where else would we have had this wonderful discussion?

Thread Information