Thread: DART: South Oak Cliff Extension (SOC-3)

Low-Rise Member

DART DART: South Oak Cliff Extension (SOC-3)

Projected Opening Date: 2019

The South Oak Cliff Extension (SOC-3) is proposed to extend the Blue Line south approximately three miles from Ledbetter Station toward the University of North Texas (UNT) Dallas Campus located at the southeast corner of Camp Wisdom Road and University Hills Blvd. (formerly Houston School Road) and add two new stations. This extension was originally conceptualized as a future extension south toward I-20 in 1991 as part of the original South Oak Cliff Corridor. The extension will provide potential development opportunities in the area south of Ledbetter Station to Camp Wisdom Road. UNT, the City of Dallas and DART cooperatively developed a revised alignment to serve the UNT Dallas Campus. This revised alignment was approved by the DART Board in February 2008.

One new rail station is proposed in the vicinity of the South Central Police Subdivision just north of Camp Wisdom Road. This area of South Central Oak Cliff is currently home to The Village of Runyon Springs neighborhood, Runyon Creek Park, and the Singing Hills Recreation Center. Planning is underway by the City of Dallas as part of the Forward Dallas! Comprehensive Plan to develop transit supportive land use with retail, multi-family, single-family, and mixed use development near the proposed station.

A second new rail station would serve the UNT Dallas campus. The Fall 2010 population of 2,084 students at the UNT Dallas campus is projected to grow to 16,000 plus students by 2030, and ultimately 25,000 students.

The revenue service date of 2019 assumes $100 million in external funding for the project. Thus, this early planning work will examine other alternatives to serve the area while positioning the project for potential Federal or other funds.

http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/bluelinesoc3.asp#aa

Supertall Skyscraper Member electricron's Avatar

Lightbulb

I'm not that familiar with the terrain, but much of the extension to be built is aerial. I'm assuming the northern aerial is to bridge a creek, I'm not sure why the southern section is. There's usually a valid engineering reason for going up. Maybe it's very rough terrain in the rural area, and DART decided to just smooth the ride out and avoid some grades? Does anyone familiar with the area have a better reason?

Quote Originally Posted by electricron
    I'm not that familiar with the terrain, but much of the extension to be built is aerial. I'm assuming the northern aerial is to bridge a creek, I'm not sure why the southern section is. There's usually a valid engineering reason for going up. Maybe it's very rough terrain in the rural area, and DART decided to just smooth the ride out and avoid some grades? Does anyone familiar with the area have a better reason?
    Probably because the terrain in that area is far from flat. The intersection of Camp Wisdom and Lancaster provides one with an excellent view of Downtown Dallas due to the elevation in thar area.
    A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something. - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Mballar
    Probably because the terrain in that area is far from flat. The intersection of Camp Wisdom and Lancaster provides one with an excellent view of Downtown Dallas due to the elevation in thar area.
    There is. The first part crosses 5-mile creek. Further south is Ricketts branch and several ravines.
    It amazes me sometimes that elevated concrete track following some of the terrain is cheaper than cut & filling a ROW or following/going around terrain. Lancaster more or less follows a ridge line. Surprised they didn't follow it more closely before turning west towards campus.
    What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?
    Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets.

High-Rise Member
    Red Biiiiiird!

Here's the latest meeting notes including the different alternatives. This segment will be interesting because of the great difference in topography:

http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/...ingmay2011.pdf

A little thread-watering.

Current status of the SOC-3 process: http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/bluelinesoc3.asp

Code:
    Projected Opening Date: 2016

The City of Dallas invites you:
    Singing Hills Recreation Center
    Community Meeting
    Tuesday, October 15, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
    Singing Hills Recreation Center
    1909 Crouch Road, Dallas, TX 75241
    View more information
    (PDF file opens in a new window)

The Final Local Environmental Assessment (EA) is complete as of May 2013. The Draft Local EA was available for review during a 30-day comment period October 1 to October 31, 2012.

The Final Local EA documents the transportation and environmental impacts associated with the construction and operation of the South Oak Cliff (SOC-3) Blue Line Extension as compared to a No-Build Alternative.
    A broad range of environmental categories were assessed. Comments received on the Draft Local EA are addressed in the Final EA.
    The Final EA also includes the Mitigation Monitoring Program to ensure that any mitigation is incorporated into the project during final design and construction.

This officially 'started' last week.

High-Rise Member F4shionablecHa0s's Avatar
    Interesting how little attention this is getting. An extension three miles northward would be a huge topic of discussion.

Skyscraper Member ChampionDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F4shionablecHa0s View Post
    Interesting how little attention this is getting. An extension three miles northward would be a huge topic of discussion.
    Because it has the potential to affect more people…self explanatory really.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionDallas View Post
    Because it has the potential to affect more people…self explanatory really.
    Uh huh.
    "Some cities make you lose your head / In this suburb stretched out thin and dead"

Quote Originally Posted by F4shionablecHa0s View Post
    Interesting how little attention this is getting.
    I've had the same thought in the past... even discounting for the area's general disregard for South Dallas, the attention to it is still surprisingly small...
    "Some cities make you lose your head / In this suburb stretched out thin and dead"

Supertall Skyscraper Member electricron's Avatar
    If local South Oak Cliff citizens don't get excited about it, no one else will.
    The recent extensions to the north and west initialized light rail services into entire cities, Rowlett, Garland, Plano, Richardson, Carrolton, Farmers Branch, and last of all Irving. Everyone in the cities were getting excited besides those riding the trains. With South Oak Cliff, it's extremely hard for all Dallas citizens to get excited over since they have had light rail services for over a decade. A three mile extension, vs a 10 miles extension, just isn't going to excite as many people.
    But I'll agree, even the Oak Cliff streetcar seems to attracting all the attention from Oak Cliff. Maybe it's because modern streetcars are new and different than the same old light rail trains.

I just think it's as simple as these two stations don't go anywhere that is exciting to most people. The UNT Dallas station won't even truly connect to the University until that university expands it's built footprint much larger than it's current incarnation.

Frank Lloyd Wright Member
    How busy are the 415/515 and 553 buses that now move around that area? This extension looks to be driven by the direct and indirect impacts of the UNT campus. If that campus has any of the impact of UTD Richardson, it is at least worth a study.
    I wonder from what areas they expect to get those 20,000 students. If it from the growing in size and wealth south suburbs, the line extension will not be of much use.

Quote Originally Posted by mjblazin View Post
    How busy are the 415/515 and 553 buses that now move around that area? This extension looks to be driven by the direct and indirect impacts of the UNT campus. If that campus has any of the impact of UTD Richardson, it is at least worth a study.
    I wonder from what areas they expect to get those 20,000 students. If it from the growing in size and wealth south suburbs, the line extension will not be of much use.
    The studies have already been done, construction is starting.

The additional connection between UNT-D and the growing VA Medical facility is an opportunity for both.
    The mediator between the head and the hands must be the heart.

Skyscraper Member
    If that's the case, wouldn't the extension be an opportunity for students to go from campus and into the city?

Not if they drive in from South Duncanville or Desoto. They are commuters and likely do not have time to go towards the city. They commute, go to class, commute, study and likely work a part time job close to where they live. It likely makes sense to set up that school down there. I doubt its students will come from the city side in any significant fractions. it is a reach out to the masses of people in the southern suburbs.

We spend a lot of time ranting about the northern suburbs. History will likely show the mass exodus to the southern suburbs by middle class families of all races will be just as important factor in the growth or non-growth of the city. It is likely in size, the most important future factor.

Mile-High Skyscraper Member rantanamo's Avatar
    Not if they drive in from South Duncanville or Desoto. They are commuters and likely do not have time to go towards the city. They commute, go to class, commute, study and likely work a part time job close to where they live. It likely makes sense to set up that school down there. I doubt its students will come from the city side in any significant fractions. it is a reach out to the masses of people in the southern suburbs.

We spend a lot of time ranting about the northern suburbs. History will likely show the mass exodus to the southern suburbs by middle class families of all races will be just as important factor in the growth or non-growth of the city. It is likely in size, the most important future factor.
    Ultimately, perhaps, but right now, I'm gonna have to give you the Stephen A. Smith stare

Quote Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
    stare
    the stares are cracking me up

keeping it real.jpg
    The mediator between the head and the hands must be the heart.

Oh yeah, you know those college students. All work and no play.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Any updates on this yet?

A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something. - Plato

UTD deserves a station. Will they ever get one?

Quote Originally Posted by tivo_kenevil View Post
    They're certainly developing as if they're going to get one. If the Cotton Belt Line ever becomes a reality, I'm sure a UTD station will be one of the major stops.

Low-Rise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tivo_kenevil View Post
    I'm surprised this isn't a higher priority. DART would gain so many more daily users, and it would be a huge benefit to the UTD and the students that live there (without a car). I went there, and I knew of quite a few foreign students who came from out of the country and rely on the DART bus to get around.

They do have one: Bush Turnpike Station. They also have a shuttle 883. We are not running a rail line to a spot that is 15 minutes from another rail line.

Thread Information