PDA

View Full Version : Savannah College of Art & Design looks at West End

Pages : [1] 2

AeroD
18 July 2008, 09:24 AM
Steve Brown Continued: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/columnists/sbrown/stories/DN-recol_18bus.ART.State.Edition1.4e1ea00.html

West End attention

A big Georgia-based educational organization is looking at a building in Dallas' West End district.

The Savannah College of Art and Design has considered the vacant West End Marketplace and an adjoining building for the site of a new downtown Dallas campus.

Real estate brokers say that the school is shopping locations in Dallas and several other markets for a new operation.

The West End Marketplace – formerly a retail and entertainment complex – has been closed for two years. The adjoining Oilwell Building is also being evaluated by the college.

tamtagon
18 July 2008, 09:46 AM
SCAD in the West End would be better than MillerCoors anywhere.

gc
18 July 2008, 11:36 AM

Well said. I like the idea as well. Perfect fit.

barrycb
18 July 2008, 02:56 PM

Ditto. And the only thing better than that would be SCAD in the Arts District like they are in Atlanta. A build-to-suit campus campus though would likely be cost prohibitive.

drycreek
18 July 2008, 05:43 PM
Ditto. And the only thing better than that would be SCAD in the Arts District like they are in Atlanta. A build-to-suit campus campus though would likely be cost prohibitive.

Yeah, I'll take SCAD over MillerCoors anyday. The Creative Class is what Big D needs more than anything else. While the Arts District might be a slightly better locale than the West End, that area is still great. I really hope this happens.

tamtagon
19 July 2008, 12:05 AM
I wonder if it has been hinted to the Dallas Art Institute (yet) that the CBD would be nicer than Upper Greenville.

AeroD
19 July 2008, 12:13 AM
I wonder if it has been hinted to the Dallas Art Institute (yet) that the CBD would be nicer than Upper Greenville.

That along with Booker T. Washington, and hopefully SCAD, all downtown would create synergy for arts in Dallas.

tamtagon
19 July 2008, 12:41 AM
I just think North Texas higher education offers abominable options for creative arts students.

It's like NT Universities are ignorant to the creative, advertising, marketing and design needs of the companies HQed in the area.

mdg109
19 July 2008, 03:59 AM
This would be awesome for West End. I just ran through there on Wednesday from the katy trail and it actually looked a little like the West Village with a lot of people eating outside. It's been tough for the West End, but there's so much potential here.

Double Wide
20 July 2008, 01:20 AM

I think The Art Institute of Dallas is in a good location, why would you want all these art schools in the same area?

AeroD
20 July 2008, 11:43 AM
I think The Art Institute of Dallas is in a good location, why would you want all these art schools in the same area?

For the same reason many tech companies in DFW are clustered in the Telecom Corridor, and many medical centers are clustered in Houston's Medical District.

Hannibal Lecter
20 July 2008, 01:15 PM
I just think North Texas higher education offers abominable options for creative arts students.

It's like NT Universities are ignorant to the creative, advertising, marketing and design needs of the companies HQed in the area.Do you really need a four-year degree to use Photoshop?

:-)

AeroD
20 July 2008, 02:16 PM
Do you really need a four-year degree to use Photoshop?

And someone will take the bait in...10...9....8.....

dfwcre8tive
20 July 2008, 08:28 PM
Well, the good thing is that a lot of companies are now smart and won't hire someone with only a 2-year design degree.

BTW, UNT has one of the best MFA programs around.

Double Wide
21 July 2008, 01:56 AM
Well, the good thing is that a lot of companies are now smart and won't hire someone with only a 2-year design degree.

so did Tracy Lock make the mistake of hiring me out of The Art Institute of Dallas with a 2 year design degree?

Its not about the degree, its about the skills.

I45Tex
22 July 2008, 02:54 PM
so did Tracy Lock make the mistake of hiring me out of The Art Institute of Dallas with a 2 year design degree?

Its not about the degree, its about the skills.

Well, it's Tracy Locke, so maybe... j/k

AeroD
29 July 2008, 02:18 PM
Looks Like More Good News For Downtown Dallas and Hobos
Posted on July 29th, 2008 9:35am by Dave Moore
Filed under Local News

Steam Train Maury, king of the hobos, passed away near Toledo, Ohio, in 2006.Downtown Dallas backers are predicting that in the next 30 to 60 days, Savannah College of Art and Design will announce a location in downtown Dallas’ West End. The notion of hundreds of students living downtown has set wonks, developers and hobos atwitter. This would be the fourth physical site for the college, which has campuses in Atlanta, Lacoste (France), and, of course, Savannah. The college also claims to have a campus somewhere on the Internet, but I suspect it wouldn’t be nearly as fun to haze freshmen there and the bonfires would probably be a letdown. The hobo on display in this posting is the late Steam Train Maury, who would have loved to hang out with a bunch of artsy kids at Sonny Bryan’s. Hobo imposters have declined to comment on this development

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2008/07/29/looks-like-more-good-news-for-downtown-dallas-and-hobos/#comments

Double Wide
29 July 2008, 11:00 PM
Where downtown?

cowboyeagle05
29 July 2008, 11:40 PM
Where downtown?
Possibly in the old West End Marketplace building or they could build a bunch of new construction where the Katy Rail Depot was standing. I am not aware of how much space they would initially need. Are they the kind that swings into to town and drops a load of cash for a entire campus in one construction swoop or do they slowly start up with a couple classrooms and offices and later build into a reasonably sized campus. Plus they could have plans to build out in later phases and use both the West End Marketplace in addition to the Katy Trail Depot land as expansion space. It all depends on how aggressive their Dallas location is intended to be.

I really like them going in close to El Centro this will help encourage more development in El Centro's Digital Arts degrees which I am a student of. There is sadly a lacking amount of students in the El Centro Interactive Multimedia development degrees because the school has been more focused on getting the Nursing program into their new building and eventually giving the Culinary Arts program much needed expansion room. Now if SCAD moves in and is offering degrees that you could transfer to from El Centro there could be more stimulation for a stronger digital arts community in Dallas as well as anything else the college brings in its lesson plans to even just the general area.

Remember one of the main purchasers of Apple computers is Digital Arts professionals, students and wouldn't it be nice if this helped increase the likely hood for a Main Street area Apple Store near a DART station since this thread is maybe more appropriate than the Victory Thread. The only reason I bring Apple up so much is they pick and build stores on a totally different level than the rest of the retail market partly to do with their internal corporate culture which slows their approval for building stores like other retailers.

Artistic people tend to be more open to a wide variety of alternative methods or modern thoughts on living and this would definitely help the West End and Downtown gain more ground in possible move ins for urban professionals. Course not until they announce it for sure should I be making any of these claims. This pig ain't done till Savannah sticks a fork in it and there known for good barbecue.

Double Wide
30 July 2008, 12:21 AM
Plus they could have plans to build out in later phases and use both the West End Marketplace in addition to the Katy Trail Depot land as expansion space. It all depends on how aggressive their Dallas location is intended to be.

It would be great if they did first take up space in the Marketplace for the first year or 2, then build an adjoining campus in the freight depot lot that would have a bold architectural design to it. DREAMS ROCK!

cowboyeagle05
30 July 2008, 10:50 PM
I thought some more about the possible reasons they might choose Dallas and the West End location after doing some light research on their other campuses in Atlanta and Savannah.

They do house students on campus at there Atlanta Campus and since the West End is already expanding into the residential market they just might add student residences to the West End.

Both the Atlanta campus and Savannah have theaters for many of their programs. In Savannah they have two theaters of a historical nature that they restored and use "The theater operates year-round as a large venue for the media and performing arts department, in addition to hosting lectures, live performances, concerts and films" while I am not suggesting they will build some big expansive theater the West End Market Place building does have a couple of theaters that they might turn into something for use whether just films or maybe allow for more diverse uses. It would be nice if the theaters were publicly accessible again for maybe an independent student theater.

They have classes in everything to fashion industry, digital arts, performing arts, visual arts, photography, advertising, architecture, historical preservation. Dallas certainly has high marks in all those areas and as for the Historical preservation part well Dallas does still have plenty of places that need more talented restoration work for them to practice on.

The more I read on them the more I like what the could bring to the Dallas Educational scene I am guessing their target market of students is possibly whats called the Creative Class. Here is a snippet on the Creative Class from http://creativeclass.com

"Creative Class is a core market for products and services. With 40 million members strong, it makes up 30 percent of the U.S. workforce, with 50% of wages earned and controlling nearly 70% of discretionary spending in the US. That is over $500 billion in purchasing power annually!

This consumer group, consisting of scientists, engineers, managers, innovators and people in research and development, as well as artists, writers and musicians are the most educated and demanding consumers in the marketplace.

The Creative Class Group has years of data on who they are, where they are, what they read, what they purchase and the ethos that drives their decisions. "

Click on the BMW banner on the website that shows you the recent commercial by BMW that explains this important section of the American consumer market. Or click this Youtube video that is the same cool ad produced by BMW. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4FpXriFoB8

sir-montag
07 August 2008, 08:02 PM
Wow, that makes me want to go back to college... SCAD in Dallas would be amazing.

jason_newton43
12 August 2008, 12:27 PM
I first posted on this forum two years ago about the impending destruction of the Katy freight building. My post was soon locked to further response, and demolition proceeded quietly over the weekend. I now have information (not absolutely certain) that the owners (an uptown company) of the Market Place building are looking to QUIETLY tear it down before the Arts College moves into this location. This is not a certainty, but it would be nice for people to know about this possibility in time to perhaps take action. . . .

Lakewooder
12 August 2008, 12:28 PM
There is a legal process for tearing down buildings in a historic district - so you are saying they intend to violate the laws?

jason_newton43
12 August 2008, 12:38 PM
I hope that those with legal routes could look into this and see if anything is stirring behind the scenes. I do not want to be an alarmist, but once it is destroyed, it is too late.

slfunk
12 August 2008, 03:06 PM
If there is any truth to the rumor, you should send an email to the city council representative. This way it does not catch them by surprise, as in being too late.

TheMapman
13 August 2008, 12:43 AM
^^Agreed, that's a good course of action. Despite the conspiracy theories to the contrary, rarely do things happen "quietly".

aygriffith
13 August 2008, 01:35 AM
I first posted on this forum two years ago about the impending destruction of the Katy freight building. My post was soon locked to further response, and demolition proceeded quietly over the weekend. I now have information (not absolutely certain) that the owners (an uptown company) of the Market Place building are looking to QUIETLY tear it down before the Arts College moves into this location. This is not a certainty, but it would be nice for people to know about this possibility in time to perhaps take action. . . .

The West End Marketplace building is atleast 5 stories tall. Being that it is so different from the Katy Frieght Depot how could you quietly demolish a 5 story building? This type of demo would probably involve a wrecking ball and a large one that would have to be noticeably setup. Its too close and too small of a building to need controled demolition with explosives.

Praise be to them if they can "quietly" knock down such a large building. But why would they? If they knock it down where will SCAD move into?

Do you think its possible your information is regarding interior demolition of the former Movie Theater area inside the Marketplace? Someone posted somewhere on this forum about that happening and attached a pricetag of around 1 million to do it due to how extensive the original modifications were.

mdg109
13 August 2008, 01:37 AM
I don't want the Marketplace to go. But they should feel free to take the big Dinosaur.

Double Wide
13 August 2008, 01:54 AM
why would they want to demolish it? Thats what I want to know, and wont that get rid of a Key Part of the West end Ally?

tamtagon
25 September 2008, 03:46 PM
Posted on July 29th, 2008 9:35am by Dave Moore
...Downtown Dallas backers are predicting that in the next 30 to 60 days, Savannah College of Art and Design will announce a location in downtown Dallas’ West End.
http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2008/07/29/looks-like-more-good-news-for-downtown-dallas-and-hobos/#comments

Anyone? Anyone?

tamtagon
04 November 2008, 11:45 AM
Waiting to know whether or not SCAD will open a downtown campus is driving me crazy.

ancientshoes
04 November 2008, 04:20 PM
Waiting to know whether or not SCAD will open a downtown campus is driving me crazy.

I think it's safe to say this isn't going to happen :(

Double Wide
04 November 2008, 07:25 PM

says who?

aygriffith
04 November 2008, 07:37 PM

Did they add one in another metro elsewhere in the country? If not I would say its still possible. They, like many other people, could be looking at the ability to get loans for the project.

cowboyeagle05
04 November 2008, 08:52 PM
Hold on they said they wouldn't announce the new location till the end of the year which while we are closer we are not close enough to call this race considering they haven't announced any other location. I think we all hope they are simply making financial movements and producing project renderings/plans for when they make the announcement. Plus I hope Mayor Leppert has been in contact with them making the case for the West End and Dallas.

Double Wide
04 November 2008, 10:10 PM
that just shows how inpatient many of us are.

aygriffith
05 November 2008, 12:55 AM
Plus I hope Mayor Leppert has been in contact with them making the case for the West End and Dallas.

I heard Laura Miller and Ron Kirk are the real masterminds!

cowboyeagle05
05 November 2008, 03:14 AM
I heard Laura Miller and Ron Kirk are the real masterminds!

They did things during their time. I can perfectly give credit to Leppert for getting the contracts signed. I have said that I believe our past mayors and current mayor have all made positive steps forward in developing downtown. Each making their own mark on its progress. Leppert is very good at negotiation and talking business which Downtown was and is in need of. That's why you hire a "Business Man" for Mayor so he can cozy up next to other business men/women and get some positive things done in the business community. I know some think I hate Leppert I just don't give him all the credit for laying any golden eggs yet. Its much easier to give Laura Miller or Ron Kirk credit cause the things they have done are starting to show positive and negative results.

Not until a politician is out of office does his/her work in office show results good or bad. I only hand out long term credit.

tamtagon
08 February 2009, 05:49 PM
I wonder if SCAD is still hoping to open a new location.

NThomas
03 March 2009, 08:19 PM

No. Not yet at least...

D Mag. Frontburner (http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2009/03/03/savannah-college-isnt-coming-to-dallas-for-now/)

cowboyeagle05
10 April 2009, 04:39 PM
Just a bump to remind those who might have missed it but SCAD did put its expansion location that might have gone in Dallas on ice they say because of the economy. I find this quite interesting cause in a down economy people are supposed to go back to school or stay in school but I guess the spending and target date for opening a new location would not counter the increased money from prospective new students.

Mark Lea
09 January 2010, 05:00 PM

Word on the street is they are still looking but the West End is no longer in the mix.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/1/12981/36_2007/salt_shaker.jpg

tamtagon
10 January 2010, 05:17 PM
so, like, where?

gshelton91
11 January 2010, 12:39 PM
Would be cool if they could build them a little campus over near Fair Park or Deep Ellum.

vman
04 October 2010, 02:19 PM
According to this DMN, the school is still looking at Dallas.

"We are very interested in Dallas," confirms Pamela Rhame, senior vice president for marketing and enrollment management (and, for the record, President Wallace's sister). "We had looked in Texas and worked with a developer. We are still interested in it." She says the school is also considering adding a second full-time recruiter for the North Texas area.
Keep those fingers crossed!!
BTW, this is a really good article and worth a read.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/lifetravel/stories/DN-fdluxe_SCAD_0805fas.State.Edition1.10c886.html

tamtagon
04 October 2010, 04:26 PM
The West End would have been sweet, but since there's a charter school opening up in/near there, I'll hold hope that the Market Place will further re-develop into a retail destination for LoMac and Downtown residents' mundane household needs....

Maybe the city can find a way to facilitate business relocations allowing SCAD to become an anchor occupant near the Deep Ellum train station. As much as I LAUGH OUT LOUD that the touted Walking Man sculpture is tall enough to peep into the next-door men's private social club, I can only think of a few other activities I would like to see on that stretch of Swiss Ave besides SCAD.

carousel
10 October 2010, 10:10 PM
This would be awesome for West End. I just ran through there on Wednesday from the katy trail and it actually looked a little like the West Village with a lot of people eating outside. It's been tough for the West End, but there's so much potential here.

Tons of potential! Get a few more residents living w/in its vicinity along with the Perot Science and Nature Musuem and, hopefully, the area will start getting a little more traction. Beautiful bldgs and great location waiting for something to happen!! Let's hope!

vman
11 October 2010, 06:00 PM
Tons of potential! Get a few more residents living w/in its vicinity along with the Perot Science and Nature Musuem and, hopefully, the area will start getting a little more traction. Beautiful bldgs and great location waiting for something to happen!! Let's hope!

The West End really needs a movie theater and/or bookstore, coffee shop, and breakfast restuarant. It's truly the only cohesive part of downtown Dallas where most of it works on a pedestrian level. Isn't there a West End business assocication of some kind? I can't believe they're not courting places like Alamo Drafthouse, Starbucks (ugh, but it'll draw people), or local places like Buzzbrews. It's not like the space isn't there.

carousel
11 October 2010, 11:57 PM
The West End really needs a movie theater and/or bookstore, coffee shop, and breakfast restuarant. It's truly the only cohesive part of downtown Dallas where most of it works on a pedestrian level. Isn't there a West End business assocication of some kind? I can't believe they're not courting places like Alamo Drafthouse, Starbucks (ugh, but it'll draw people), or local places like Buzzbrews. It's not like the space isn't there.

Unfortunately, I think a bookstore or a movie theater would have a difficult time with the current state of affairs. A school (that would bring hundreds of
Students and the musuem are much needed for the present. Once these are in place and a few more residents come along then a bookstore, retail, etc may work.