PDA

View Full Version : DTD: Employer's Insurance Building Addition

Pages : [1] 2 3

BryanSmyth
21 June 2005, 05:35 PM
An 11-story building is going up on the southeast corner of Field and Wood. The new building will be an addition to the current 13 story Employer's Insurance building at 1301 Young Street. http://www.bwmtexas.com/photos/employers.jpg (http://www.bwmtexas.com/photos/employers.jpg)

There is currently a surface parking lot in this area
<O:p</O:p

The architect renderings and models are available in the atrium of the Employer's Insurance building. In addition, the plans also call for the demolition of the building on the southwest corner of Akard and Wood - 403 S Akard (currently a urine-infested dump). http://www.dallascad.org/AcctPhoto.aspx?ID=00000100801000000 (http://www.dallascad.org/AcctPhoto.aspx?ID=00000100801000000)<O:p</O:p

If you want to see the renderings, bring your driver’s license. This is a federally-leased building and metal detectors are involved. GSA has contracted for this to be built, so it will be built. They estimate demo to begin in August 2005 and construction to begin 2-3 months after that. I'll try to get pictures later.

Jsoto found these on the architect firm's website.
http://www.bwmtexas.com/photos/gsa-wood.jpg
http://www.bwmtexas.com/photos/gsa-field.jpg
http://www.bwmtexas.com/photos/gsa-east.jpg
http://www.bwmtexas.com/photos/gsa-north.jpg
http://www.bwmtexas.com/photos/gsa-south.jpg
http://www.bwmtexas.com/photos/gsa-west.jpg

<O:p</O:p

tamtagon
21 June 2005, 05:45 PM
It's like, one of the first signs of spring after a long winter.

hamiltonpl
21 June 2005, 05:53 PM
That's great. Since it's a government building, what will be housed there?

Jack Flack
21 June 2005, 06:16 PM
Is the urine infested building on Akard being replaced by another building or a parking lot?

BryanSmyth
21 June 2005, 06:19 PM
That's great. Since it's a government building, what will be housed there?

The regional offices of Social Security, Health and Human Services and the Center for Medicaid and Medicare Services are housed in that building. This will NOT be a contact station for the public -- just space for office workers. Also, I just wanted to clarify that this building will not be owned by the goverment, just leased. A third party is the owner of this building and the new addition. That may be a matter of semantics only.

frankchitown
21 June 2005, 06:23 PM
You have to navigate to the rendering from www.bwmtexas.com/photos (http://www.bwmtexas.com/photos) but here it is anyway
http://img186.echo.cx/img186/8513/employers18wl.jpg

BryanSmyth
21 June 2005, 06:27 PM
Is the urine infested building on Akard being replaced by another building or a parking lot?

A parking lot/plaza area. I was hoping they would just make it into an open space, although I think anything would be better than the current structure.

gc
21 June 2005, 06:29 PM
I'll take this kind of news all day.

drumguy8800
21 June 2005, 06:43 PM
You have to navigate to the rendering from www.bwmtexas.com/photos but here it is anywayThat building already exists..

frankchitown
21 June 2005, 06:52 PM
oops, not the rendering, but a pic of the building being added onto

BryanSmyth
21 June 2005, 06:54 PM
That building already exists..

Check out post #1 again. It's been updated with the renderings. I beleive that's what frankchitown was referencing about 'navigating'.

freewaytincan
21 June 2005, 08:06 PM
They're actually going to match the style? That's uncommon, but very appreciated. As for the tower element? I really don't get it. It doesn't work, I hope they don't waste money on something that looks that bad.

The Thomas Building is lookin' kinda lonely there.

barrycb
21 June 2005, 08:06 PM

Great post, and very good news. That area needs some fresh air.

BryanSmyth
21 June 2005, 09:28 PM
The Thomas Building is lookin' kinda lonely there.

Interesting you say that, Urban. The original plans were to demo the Thomas Building and extend the expansion further east, but it was designated a historical site during the initial planning process. As it is, the Thomas Building will be surrounded by a plaza, and a surface parking lot will extend from the plaza area to Akard street (right across the street from the old Fed Reserve). Hopefully with the improvements to that area, the Thomas Building could be converted into residential units (dreamy speculation). The residential conversion could benefit the whole idea of a "SoCo" neighborhood -- keeping in mind this is only 1/2 block from the Urban Market.

My current office overlooks the construction site, so I hope to snap several pics. In addition, my group will occupy the expansion's entire top floor upon completion. I'm excited....

Mballar
21 June 2005, 09:34 PM
^That's tight Bryan. Keep us informed, please!

barrycb
21 June 2005, 09:35 PM
When will they break ground?

barrycb
21 June 2005, 09:45 PM
Instead of the plaza, its a perfect opportunity for another Davis Lot type development. You can attach a parking/residential structure to the east side of the existing Thomas building.

It won't be long until something very creative happens with the old Federal Reserve building, also.

BryanSmyth
21 June 2005, 09:46 PM
When will they break ground?

The GSA representative said demo will start in August '05 with construction to begin in October '05. Due to the Thomas Building being in such close proximity to 403 S. Akard (aka the urine-infested building), the Urine-Infestation Building can't be imploded. They will have to demo the old-fashioned way. Actually, there is a walkway about 5-7 strories up connecting the Thomas Building and Urine-Infestation Building (... have to find out the name of that building).

BryanSmyth
21 June 2005, 09:53 PM
It won't be long until something very creative happens with the old Federal Reserve building, also.

The old Fed Reserve is now called the Carrier Center (part of the marketing, i guess) and is being marketed as a high-tech/telecom type building. During the past month, a very ritzy tenant has moved into the first floor. From just walking by, their space is very modern and elaborately decorated. It might be some design/advert firm. If you ever walk in this area, you definitely need to look inside - it's impressive.

rantanamo
22 June 2005, 05:23 AM

awesome comment and so true. Can't wait for the full bloom.

Dr. Thunder
25 January 2006, 12:54 AM
Any news about this project anyone? I haven't seen anything happen yet and it's Jan 2006.

tamtagon
25 January 2006, 03:19 AM
Any news about this project anyone? I haven't seen anything happen yet and it's Jan 2006.

They must be having a long winter at 1301 Young Street.

Dr. Thunder
25 January 2006, 10:02 AM
They must be having a long winter at 1301 Young Street.
What is that supposed to mean? I am just wondering if anyone knows more about this project and if is going ever take off.

shawndb
25 January 2006, 11:09 AM
What is that supposed to mean? I am just wondering if anyone knows more about this project and if is going ever take off.

I think it's a reference to post #2 in this thread.

Dr. Thunder
25 January 2006, 04:02 PM
ok, that makes sense.... still I wonder what is going on with this project. It looks pretty cool, I wonder who owns the Thomas Building?

BryanSmyth
21 February 2006, 01:20 PM
Update...sorry it took so long. The contract has been signed for the demolition of the Reserve Life Building on the corner of Akard and Wood Streets.
A portion of Akard Street south of Wood will be closed for the crane position. Preparations for demolition will begin with a couple of weeks, and demolition should start during March.
I'm really looking forward to the spring....

clipper
21 February 2006, 01:35 PM
What about the old Thomas Building at 1314 Wood right next to it. It was built in 1924 and is beautiful.

clipper
21 February 2006, 01:36 PM
the front

BryanSmyth
21 February 2006, 01:42 PM
What about the old Thomas Building at 1314 Wood right next to it. It was built in 1924 and is beautiful.

Post #14 and #18 have info related to the Thomas Building. It will NOT be demolished. However, I don't know anything else about the future plans for it.

clipper
21 February 2006, 01:43 PM
From 2004 DMN:

The 80-year-old Thomas Building, which last week was on
Preservation Dallas' list of the city's most endangered structures,
has received a temporary reprieve.

The preservation group said it has reached an agreement with the
building's owners, North Carolina-based HPI Group. The owners have
agreed not to demolish the building for five years and will pay
$50,000 to Preservation Dallas to study the feasibility of
restoring it as a working office building, said Dwayne Jones,
Preservation Dallas' executive director.

clipper
21 February 2006, 01:55 PM
The Thomas Building was an "annex" to the original Cotton Exchange building which was next door. The cotton firms all had offices there.

Dr. Thunder
21 February 2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the update!!! I will be watching all the construction from my living room window....can't wait!

I wondering if the Thomas Building could be bought?

clipper
21 February 2006, 04:06 PM
The building that's coming down is older than it looks. I believe it includes the concrete remains of the original Cotton Exchange Building which was later called The Construction Building. The insurance company bought it and in 1957 enlarged it and "modernized" it with that new metal skin. Fortunately they didn't do the same to the Thomas Building which they also owned. Here's what the Construction Building looked like in the late 1930s before it was redone.

Dr. Thunder
21 March 2006, 03:50 PM
Well, we are almost to the end of March and I haven't seen anything happen yet. Any news?

Jack Flack
28 March 2006, 10:32 AM
I have noticed that people are no longer using the parking lot at Field and Wood. Could construction be about to begin?

Dr. Thunder
28 March 2006, 11:58 AM
I wonder if this project will ever take off?

Dr. Thunder
30 March 2006, 11:34 AM
Well, they have some construction equipment and a dumpster in the parking lot where the new section is to be added. Looks like this is going to happen.

Jack Flack
30 March 2006, 03:07 PM
Well, something is going on. The large mechanical equipment located on the site is being dismantled and removed.

Dr. Thunder
22 April 2006, 10:03 AM
The demolition crew has arrived! I talked to the guys doing the work and they said the crane will be here this morning and that it will take 2 weeks to knock the building down…. YEAH BABY!

FoUTASportscaster
22 April 2006, 03:34 PM
Awesome. Can't wait to see something.

John T Roberts
22 April 2006, 06:40 PM
Before it's gone, let's take a look at the Contruction Building. The original building was constructed in 1913, and the old picture is taken from Akard and Wood, with the long side running toward the Thomas Building along Wood Street. On Akard, the building was only 5 bays wide, so the southern half of the building was built in the 1950's when the facade was replaced. As they knock it down, be sure to note the differences in construction between the original building and the addition, and also take note of how much (if any) of the original facade is still there.

I did find a picture that I had of the building. It is not very good and it is looking into the sun.
http://www.dallasarchitecture.info/constructionbldg.jpg

FoUTASportscaster
22 April 2006, 07:34 PM
Thank you, helpful information.

John T Roberts
23 April 2006, 11:48 AM
You're welcome. All it took was a quick internet research.

Jack Flack
24 April 2006, 03:14 PM
Demolition has begun. There is a nice new hole in the building now.

dfwcre8tive
26 April 2006, 03:32 PM
Vacant building coming down for parking lot
06:29 AM CDT on Tuesday, April 25, 2006
From Staff Reports

Owners of a massive and long-vacant downtown office building began demolishing it Monday, carving a top-to-bottom gash in the seven-story structure by day's end.

The building, completed in 1959 and located at Akard and Wood streets, is slated to become a private parking lot, Assistant City Manager Ryan Evans said. The U.S. General Services Administration, which operates in an adjacent office building, will also expand into the cleared space, Mr. Evans said.

Another adjacent structure, at 1314 Wood St., and, according to county property records, built in 1910, will not be torn down, he said.

Dave Levinthal

gc
26 April 2006, 03:54 PM
^ Buzzkill!

BigD5349
26 April 2006, 06:21 PM
Here's a shot from today...

Rob
26 April 2006, 06:34 PM
Vacant building coming down for parking lot

Jerks.

Jack Flack
26 April 2006, 06:49 PM
^ Hasn't that always been the plan? And aren't they supposed to build a new building on the vacant lot at Wood and Field?

BigD5349
26 April 2006, 07:09 PM
^ Hasn't that always been the plan? And aren't they supposed to build a new building on the vacant lot at Wood and Field?

That's what I thought. I was confused about the story above, talking about creating a parking lot...